wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Eldoret Commodity Exchange
caesar
#1 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 8:28:00 PM

Jimnah Mbaru,Eddie Njoroge. Should start blogs with Kenyan in business and online to get view points on how best we can develop these New Commodity exchanges.

Kenyans have many ideas and they also need to stay on the know on how these initiatives are proceeding.
Ken K
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:27:00 AM

That's a good idea but channeled wrongly. Write them a letter. They might just miss your post.
Sheraw9
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:50:00 AM

To write Jimnah try this...might work = Jimnah Mbaru : mbaru@dyerandblair.com
caesar
#4 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 12:48:00 PM

Thanks guys

What would you like to see in this new trading pit?

Options

Futures

Fowards

mukiha
#5 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 12:51:00 PM

@caesar:

What's the difference between Options,Futures and Forwards?

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
caesar
#6 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 1:18:00 PM

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/futures.asp

@Mukiha,check investopedia

Option is more like trading a right to buy or sell an underlying asset with antcipating rise or drop in future price

Futures is an obligation to buy or sell

Fowards is more like futures but its a private contract hence illiquid
mukiha
#7 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 1:34:00 PM

one,two,three: testing....!!!!!!

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
tonicasert
#8 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2009 3:45:00 PM

Whats the rationale of moving it to Eldoret?

If am not wrong,I think its currently developing at Mombasa mainly for coffee. Some 2 or so yrs ago they moved to electronic board. But you need heavy volume,participants and infrastructure (for traders who take physical delivery). Speculators may also help deepen the market - meaning u have to give them reason to attract them from LIFFE,CME,etc

FWIW,Pit trading is gradually being replaced by electronic trading.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:23:00 PM

@Ceaser

Could you possibly post a dummy sale on such a bourse,I am really interested on how you will guarantee quality especially when the goods are farm-gate commodity by a small holder in say Nandi or Muranga

I have thought about the quality control side of things especially knowing kenyans are wajuaji and like to reap without sowing.

I guess if you can't win with facts,you can always pen bile-laced,xenophobic rants to distract everyone.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
caesar
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:58:00 PM

@Obi I guess trades would be placed by a licensed dealers just like stocks.

There would have to be a pre-approval system,the drawback would be restricting it to those with capital.

Toni: I guess they could also be trading Oil from Uganda and Southern Sudan
Obi 1 Kanobi
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:26:00 PM

@Ceaser,

I guess its what I feared,the ordinary farmer would still be cut out by capital limitations. It may not be as efficient as I thought but its a start. unless people can use it as a price board,then as farmers learn more about the way it works,then a few can get registered and start some real commodity sales.

I guess if you can't win with facts,you can always pen bile-laced,xenophobic rants to distract everyone.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins