wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
roofing tips
Jitahidi
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:29:02 PM

I understand that Hardwood is recommended for door frames. I am shopping for door frames; my fundi recommended i go for mahogany, which is expensive. Any advise on a cheaper hardwood that i can use plus the source?
Pablo
#22 Posted : Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:04:08 PM

Boss
Mahogany can be cheap. Depends on where you buy it. In Gikomba a good dry 6" mahogany door frame costs 2100/-. Bought some in Dec.
Jitahidi
#23 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:13:24 AM

Pablo wrote:
Boss
Mahogany can be cheap. Depends on where you buy it. In Gikomba a good dry 6" mahogany door frame costs 2100/-. Bought some in Dec.

Thanks Pablo for that advise. I will go to Gikomba this week to buy
hugumadede
#24 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:22:14 AM

Hello guys,
I'm almost through with doing my ring bim and planning on roofing. Can someone advice on which roofing to go with i.e tiles or decra? I'm mostly interested in knowing the price deffrence.
Njung'e
#25 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 1:21:40 PM

McReggae wrote:
Guka,
Somewhere we call it 'siala'......you are spor on!!!

I know wheresmile ...There must be lots of Mupeli in this region.I got a mature red Mupeli (Must have been over a 150 years old)and the doors i made from its timber is incomparable with mahogany....very beautiful.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Jitahidi
#26 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:13:41 PM

hugumadede wrote:
Hello guys,
I'm almost through with doing my ring bim and planning on roofing. Can someone advice on which roofing to go with i.e tiles or decra? I'm mostly interested in knowing the price deffrence.

For Stone coated tiles (Decra) be ready to spend. They cost around 650/= per tile plus VAT. And you also have to buy ridge/hipcaps, Barge Box covers, combination valleys, touch up kits and tile fixing nails.
I would advise you to take your roofing plan to Decra and other companies for quantity & price estimation.
kamachago
#27 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:03:55 PM

I have blue gum growing in 5000 ft above sea level, next to the Aberdare and would like to use it for roofing a decent house in Thika. I've read all he advice here. Question is, if you nail the Decra steel tiles before it completely dries, will there be bending and twisting later? Anyone who have used blue gum for roofing and is having leaking issues?
mmarto
#28 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 3:34:36 PM

kamachago wrote:
I have blue gum growing in 5000 ft above sea level, next to the Aberdare and would like to use it for roofing a decent house in Thika. I've read all he advice here. Question is, if you nail the Decra steel tiles before it completely dries, will there be bending and twisting later? Anyone who have used blue gum for roofing and is having leaking issues?

@kamachago, let not your heart be troubled. I built my house huku nrbi almost 8 years now using blue gum zenye nilitoa mashinani. No bending, no leakages whatsoever. I gues blue gum bends kama its grown near a watery area e.g next to a river. mine was from a rocky area. If its grown near water it also tends to kupasuka
The only time you should be looking down on others is when you are helping them up.
srithirumalairoofings
#29 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2019 4:54:40 PM

Yes! Bluegum wood is a good choice. So you can go with yor choice.
WillThomas
#30 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 7:12:29 PM

Thanks, i will also ask roof repair experts to get Bluegum wood for our garage roof.I hope it will stay for long.
hardwood
#31 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:12:42 PM

Still on roofing matters, I've been seeing that the fake decra tiles are peeling on many roofs. It's quite a sad spectacle. Kweli cheap is expensive.
newfarer
#32 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 6:02:19 AM

WillThomas wrote:
Thanks, i will also ask roof repair experts to get Bluegum wood for our garage roof.I hope it will stay for long.

for garage why not use metal roof.wood and water don't go together.metal you just repaint when you notice some rust and it can last for generations.
punda amecheka