wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages<1234>
Pajero vs Prado/harrier/Kluger
bwenyenye
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:14:21 PM

Have you considered a Land Rover.. Get it and you will never look back!
I Think Therefore I Am
Obi 1 Kanobi
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:46:35 PM

bwenyenye wrote:

@Bwenyenye

I have, however it is behind Pajero and Jeep on most stat's
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Vj
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:24:56 PM

Chaka wrote:
Vj wrote:

I would advise you to get the pajero, but do avoid the GDI version as we do not have qualified mechanics to handle that system.

@Vj,
Which non-GDI types are there and how would you know which type it is?

There are two petrol pajero's available. the first one is the 3500cc, this is the GDI version. The second one is the 3000cc which is the non-GDI.

The non-GDI has a 3000cc engine and the engine code is 6G72.

@Obi

Jeeps are good cars, have driven a few abroad, but spare parts and maintenance for Jeeps will be a problem in kenya.

The discovery 3 is also a good car, has complicated electronics but if you can find yourself a low mileage unit its a really good car.
Before you can be be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#24 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 4:01:04 PM

Vj wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Vj wrote:

I would advise you to get the pajero, but do avoid the GDI version as we do not have qualified mechanics to handle that system.

@Vj,
Which non-GDI types are there and how would you know which type it is?

There are two petrol pajero's available. the first one is the 3500cc, this is the GDI version. The second one is the 3000cc which is the non-GDI.

The non-GDI has a 3000cc engine and the engine code is 6G72.

@Obi

Jeeps are good cars, have driven a few abroad, but spare parts and maintenance for Jeeps will be a problem in kenya.

The discovery 3 is also a good car, has complicated electronics but if you can find yourself a low mileage unit its a really good car.

I thought DT Dobie has the franchise, they should be able to provide decent service. As for parts, i think now one can comfortably import parts for any car at practically fair prices
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
JkMwatha
#25 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 5:50:52 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

....I thought DT Dobie has the franchise, they should be able to provide decent service. As for parts, i think now one can comfortably import parts for any car at practically fair prices

Agreed, parts are available... I have recently sent in a few spare parts for Grand Cherokee including disc brakes.

Do DT Dobie (or whoever does jeep) agree to service with parts you provide ?.... or do they insist on 'fleecing' you by providing parts themselves?
alpha2
#26 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 3:46:42 PM

Would anyone know the average fuel consumption per km or per 100km for the Prado vis-a-vis the Pajero? i.e. the 3000 cc petrol engine for the Pajero.
I still find it weird that used Pajeros in Japan are now even cheaper than Klugers!!! Its true, Kenya is a Toyota Country!!
Chaka
#27 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 3:03:37 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
bwenyenye wrote:

@Bwenyenye

I have, however it is behind Pajero and Jeep on most stat's

@Obi 1 Kanobi,
What did you settle on and how has been the experience?
Obi 1 Kanobi
#28 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 8:18:19 PM

Haha... this is an old one.

I settled for a prado. Actually got one on the cheap from a departing ex-pat. Very gud car imho.

Service and for the prado is amazingly affordable.

Still dont know about pajero

I would suggest u leave the euro cars for those ready to invest a minimum 20k a month for insurance and service. Opinion courtesy of observing friends with toureg, discovery 4 and jeep grand cherokee
luttz
#29 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:30:55 AM

But how do you start comparing Prado and Jeep or Touareg? Toyota is an over rated vehicle in Kenya. You never buy value for money just because its Toyota
"You've never lived until you've almost died; for those who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know."
Obi 1 Kanobi
#30 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:59:52 PM

luttz wrote:
But how do you start comparing Prado and Jeep or Touareg? Toyota is an over rated vehicle in Kenya. You never buy value for money just because its Toyota

Ooh c'mon @Lutz. The prado holds its own against all this cars. Check out Edmunds. German engineering is indeed refined but it only has the edge over japanese cars when it comes to aesthetics and build quality. They compare favourably on all other metrics. Plus jap cars adapt better to kenyan conditions
kalenjinherdsboy
#31 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:07:38 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

Ooh c'mon @Lutz. The prado holds its own against all this cars. Check out Edmunds. German engineering is indeed refined but it only has the edge over japanese cars when it comes to aesthetics and build quality. They compare favourably on all other metrics. Plus jap cars adapt better to kenyan conditions

Prado is an entry level suv built on the Hilux/ 4Runner platform and more famous for rolling than anything else.

If you have the budget and want a serious machine then Land Cruiser VX or Discovery are the best in class.
mmarto
#32 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:37:29 PM

kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:

Prado is an entry level suv built on the Hilux/ 4Runner platform and more famous for rolling than anything else.

If you have the budget and want a serious machine then Land Cruiser VX or Discovery are the best in class.

In the absence of professional analysis, based on kenyan roads, all these comparisons are a matter of perception/preference. Not too long ago we were told to keep off the discovery coz it was prone to rolling!!! Then it was the prado....confusing???
The only time you should be looking down on others is when you are helping them up.
kalenjinherdsboy
#33 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 9:10:10 PM

mmarto wrote:

In the absence of professional analysis, based on kenyan roads, all these comparisons are a matter of perception/preference. Not too long ago we were told to keep off the discovery coz it was prone to rolling!!! Then it was the prado....confusing???

Prados have the wrong suspension settings for a luxury car and they are too narrow for a car that tall.

Get a test drive and try to do 100 on a highway if you want to know how unstable this car is. Or better yet talk to the sales guys at Toyota Kenya, they dont recommend Prados to their clients.
Chaka
#34 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:55:39 PM

Calling @Vj,
Might you know whether the Mit Pajero 2008 3.2 DID Model has any issues?
I am considering importing a pajero but can't seem to decide between the 3000 cc petrol version and the diesel version(occasional off road will apply)
Guys in online forums say the diesel is expensive to service but has good torque(for towing,which I don't need)
and has a noisy engine.
The petrol version is said to have low torque and thirsty.
Robinhood
#35 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2015 6:41:25 PM

kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
mmarto wrote:

Prados have the wrong suspension settings for a luxury car and they are too narrow for a car that tall.

Get a test drive and try to do 100 on a highway if you want to know how unstable this car is. Or better yet talk to the sales guys at Toyota Kenya, they dont recommend Prados to their clients.

You advise is so herds boy chief smile

How do you mean that Toyota Kenya sales people do not recommend Prados. Eish!!

I have driven prados and this car is great.
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
premio
#36 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:09:32 PM

jaggernaut wrote:
quicksand wrote:
Isn't it obvious? People love Toyota because of the resale value and competitive parts/maintenance prices.

I think that's just a perception. If I bought a Corolla today from Japan at 800k and sell after 3yrs at 500k, it will have depreciated by about 37.5 %. If I had bought a Sunny at 550k and sell for 350k after 3yrs, it would have depreciated by 36%. In other words, a sunny has an 'actual' better resale value than corolla (when you consider the original purchase price). And for the 2 cars spares are readily available. The scenario should be the same for the Prado and Pajero.

I think it all boils down to Kenyans peculiar habits - just like sticking with Safaricom that charges 3 times what the competition does.

Nothing peculiar here give us a real example of that Toyota u buy at 800k and sell at 500k 4 your info a toyota AE110 bought in 2007 for 650k will sell at 400k today 9years later. I bought an allion 2006 @930k1800CC 2YEARS later i sold last week for 820k resale value is not just the % to the purchase price but ease of disposal most toyotas will sell within 30days of announcing Nissans mazdas mitshubishi90-120days. Demand and prices for popular cars in the japanese used car market is global not just Kenyan. Russia, pakistan and Newzealand are the biggest importers of the premio model of Toyota with fob prices as high as 10000usd while the nissan equivalent to the premio the bluebird selling at 4000fob. Resale aside RELIABILITY is the no 1 reason why people buy Toyotas ever tried to fix a nissan suspension. Try opening up the subaru rear bushes or the CRV rickety rear drive shaft
kizee1
#37 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:26:35 PM

how does the new model prado fair in terms of stability
Gathige
#38 Posted : Saturday, May 02, 2015 5:40:28 PM

I have a Harrier 3.0. Smooth drive, high elevation, engine has power esp when accelerating uphill and very silent inside ( no engine noise). Downside, terrible on mud and Guzzler.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
jerry
#39 Posted : Saturday, May 02, 2015 6:04:09 PM

Gathige wrote:
I have a Harrier 3.0. Smooth drive, high elevation, engine has power esp when accelerating uphill and very silent inside ( no engine noise). Downside, terrible on mud and Guzzler.

how many Kpl?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Gathige
#40 Posted : Saturday, May 02, 2015 7:22:03 PM

jerry wrote:
Gathige wrote:

how many Kpl?

The best i have recorded is 10-12kpl on a highway drive. On slow traffic as poor as 6kpl. Prefers to use on long distances but on short distances nope.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe