wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Pajero vs Prado/harrier/Kluger
Obi 1 Kanobi
#1 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 6:53:13 PM

Guys,

Would really appreciate if anyone can tell me why a used pajero is cheaper than a prado/harrier/Kluger off Japan.

The Pajero Exceed really looks nice and its suprising that even the kluger is able to command a better price internationally (Based on Japanese sites).

The fuel consumptions stats show no real difference etc.

Why is this the case, whats wrong with Pajero?

Whats so good about Toyota's
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
mjuaji wa stocks
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:01:05 AM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Guys,

Would really appreciate if anyone can tell me why a used pajero is cheaper than a prado/harrier/Kluger off Japan.

The Pajero Exceed really looks nice and its suprising that even the kluger is able to command a better price internationally (Based on Japanese sites).

The fuel consumptions stats show no real difference etc.

Why is this the case, whats wrong with Pajero?

Whats so good about Toyota's

Brand equity!!!!

Toyota is well known ..... their slogan??? ..... relaibility..... proven!!

Hata watu husema ile Toyota pajero ya neighbour ama ile toyota isuzu Dmax Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

And the car infront is ..........??
God gave me the power to make wealth ... Blessed the work of my hands & enabled be A SELF MADE BILLIONAIRE ...... TO GOD THE FATHER OF MY LORD JESUS CHRIST; BE THE GLORY NOW & FOREVER MORE!

Impunity
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:08:35 AM

RELIABILITY.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

quicksand
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:09:08 AM

Isn't it obvious? People love Toyota because of the resale value and competitive parts/maintenance prices. It would make sense that Toyota units move off the yards faster than Pajeros due to high demand, hence the higher unit price. Prado, Harrier and Kluger are all Toyota models
manuPK
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:14:13 AM

quicksand wrote:
Isn't it obvious? People love Toyota because of the resale value and competitive parts/maintenance prices. It would make sense that Toyota units move off the yards faster than Pajeros due to high demand, hence the higher unit price. Prado, Harrier and Kluger are all Toyota models

Have to agree coz e.g. a Pajero IO parts are bit higher on cost @ your roko spare part supplier compared to a similar toyota brand parts.
Entrepreneurship is a cognitive bias. They can’t teach it to you.
Intelligentsia
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:48:33 AM

@Obi, agreed Exceed is a beau.
Also agreed that toyota's appeal lies in their resale value and cheap parts, no wonder they were crowned the leading auto maker in 2010 depsite the recalls.
BTW, I have driven both Mitsubishi's & Toyotas and find Mitsubishi's MORE reliable.
jaggernaut
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:56:27 AM

quicksand wrote:
Isn't it obvious? People love Toyota because of the resale value and competitive parts/maintenance prices.

I think that's just a perception. If I bought a Corolla today from Japan at 800k and sell after 3yrs at 500k, it will have depreciated by about 37.5 %. If I had bought a Sunny at 550k and sell for 350k after 3yrs, it would have depreciated by 36%. In other words, a sunny has an 'actual' better resale value than corolla (when you consider the original purchase price). And for the 2 cars spares are readily available. The scenario should be the same for the Prado and Pajero.

I think it all boils down to Kenyans peculiar habits - just like sticking with Safaricom that charges 3 times what the competition does.
bwenyenye
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:15:53 PM

I think Pajeros have a problem with their turbo mechanism especially in diesel engines. It seems that after a number of Kms, it needs to be replaced. I think the part must be very expensive so most guys try to repair it and make horrible mistakes that turn roads into black cloud zones. The petrol ones are quite good even after a while.
If you are in Nairobi and are considering one, there is a garage in Nairobi West just opposite Nyayo stadium that fixes Pajeros. You may want to pay them a visit before you decide.
I Think Therefore I Am
cd04
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:54:38 PM

Yes, Pajero turbos do fail quite frequently, and can be expensive to repair (circa ksh400k repair bill), but if you take care of the car with regular services and a turbo timer, then the turbo will not fail. The Pajero is more reliable than a Prado imo.
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:44:40 PM

Get the Land Cruiser and say bye bye to mashida za gari.

BBI will solve it
:)
Vj
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:06:07 PM

The old generation diesel pajero's had turbo failure but this problem also plagued lancruisers but due to their fewer number it was less reported, this was mainly due to poor quality diesel in kenya, and to some extent the imported pajero's from dubai (at some point the major source of pajero's in kenya) had their mileages rewound after working in extreme conditions.

If you check the ex-showroom price of both the prado and pajero they are similar. The reason why the prado tends to be expensive in Japan is due to the higher demand of prado's and the fact that Japanese exporters have realized consumers love for Toyota (Check the japanese auction price difference between the prado and pajero, its is not that big)

As for reliability the Pajero is as good as the Prado. The pajero is also way more stable than the prado. I currently have 3 pajero's (1988, 2003 and 2007) and 1 prado (2005). The Pajero beats the Prado hands down according to me. The only place where the prado wins is that it has a more comfortable city ride due to its linked suspension. As for the spare parts the price difference between prado and pajero is negligible, and the prado is not the ordinary toyota that can be fixed anywhere with anything.

I would advise you to get the pajero, but do avoid the GDI version as we do not have qualified mechanics to handle that system.
Before you can be be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:29:37 PM

Vj wrote:
The old generation diesel pajero's had turbo failure but this problem also plagued lancruisers but due to their fewer number it was less reported, this was mainly due to poor quality diesel in kenya, and to some extent the imported pajero's from dubai (at some point the major source of pajero's in kenya) had their mileages rewound after working in extreme conditions.

If you check the ex-showroom price of both the prado and pajero they are similar. The reason why the prado tends to be expensive in Japan is due to the higher demand of prado's and the fact that Japanese exporters have realized consumers love for Toyota (Check the japanese auction price difference between the prado and pajero, its is not that big)

As for reliability the Pajero is as good as the Prado. The pajero is also way more stable than the prado. I currently have 3 pajero's (1988, 2003 and 2007) and 1 prado (2005). The Pajero beats the Prado hands down according to me. The only place where the prado wins is that it has a more comfortable city ride due to its linked suspension. As for the spare parts the price difference between prado and pajero is negligible, and the prado is not the ordinary toyota that can be fixed anywhere with anything.

I would advise you to get the pajero, but do avoid the GDI version as we do not have qualified mechanics to handle that system.

@VJ, thanks for the input, just one thing, the prado is practically twice as expensive as the pajero on most jap sites so the gap is quite significant.

What do you mean 'comfortable city ride',

What aspects of the pajero are better than the prado.

How much does it cost to service a pajero
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Kirika
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:07:47 PM

@ 2012 by Landcruiser do you mean the VX or the Prado TX ?

If you have a choice and money to boot go for the VX, its the mother of Fourwheels.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:23:04 PM

Kirika wrote:
@ 2012 by Landcruiser do you mean the VX or the Prado TX ?

If you have a choice and money to boot go for the VX, its the mother of Fourwheels.

I can't afford even a VX Prado, let alone a land cruiser. And for such a budget, I would go for Toureg, or its more illustrious European siblings.
Vj
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:15:49 PM

@ Obi

I would suggest that you look at the japanese car auction sites, this is where the car exporter source their vehicles from, you will find a price difference of about $2000-$3000.

The prado is more comfortable to drive in town in the sense that the linked suspension is more quiet and you feel less bumps when passing bumps and small pot holes. This difference is only noticeable to keen drivers.

The pajero has an independent suspension that is designed for maximum stability and off road driving. But as it is independent the force of bumps on wheels is distributed at slightly different times hence a slightly greater bump.

I prefer the pajero for the following reasons (I will use the 2003 pajero and 2005 prado as my reference points, as you are likely to buy similar models):

1. Pajero is way more stable due to its independent suspension and mono-coque chasis. High speed driving and cornering is bliss.

2. Pajero has a rack and pinion steering wheel which is amazing, the steering feels lighter than a vitz. Also provides quick maneuvering with minimized risk of over steering

3. The petrol pajero i have has better acceleration than the prado. Pajero has a bigger engine by 300cc though.

4. The pajero interior is more spacious than the prado. Also the boot seats fold into the floor of the pajero, in the prado they hang on the sides, thus take up space.

5. The tiptronic gear response of the pajero is far superior to the prado

6. Pajero is equally reliable as toyota, have a friend who has clocked 260,000 km on a 2002 model without any major problems, only timing belt change and regular service.

7. Pajero is cheaper, and provides more value for money.

It costs me around 20,000 shs for a service, but the service interval is very high. Spark plugs which cost around 2000 each but are replaced after every 40000 km. I use synthetic oil and the oil change interval is 10,000 km. Oil and air filter are priced in the range of other normal cars.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.
Before you can be be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.
mpobiz
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:02:38 PM

Vj wrote:
@ Obi

1. Pajero is way more stable due to its independent suspension and mono-coque chasis. High speed driving and cornering is bliss.

4. The pajero interior is more spacious than the prado. Also the boot seats fold into the floor of the pajero, in the prado they hang on the sides, thus take up space.

6. Pajero is equally reliable as toyota, have a friend who has clocked 260,000 km on a 2002 model without any major problems, only timing belt change and regular service.

7. Pajero is cheaper, and provides more value for money.

to me this are the main points that have made me prefer the pajero
prados are very unstable vehicles especially to people with no experience in driving big 4 by 4 on highways
i also had a pajero manual which had clocked about 40000km in japan. after over 150000km in kenya i only experienced very minor problems. i was very unforgiving to that car sometimes driving at relatively high speeds in rough roads.
Politics is just things to keep the people divided and foolish and put your trust in men and none of them can do nothing for you...
Obi 1 Kanobi
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:47:12 AM

Thanks VJ and Mpobiz

This is th ekind of experience I was looking to tap into, people who have tried both cars and can give real life attest.

I am thinking of buying a 4X4 and I needed to reconcile the price variances btn the Pajero and Prado. The info you guyz gave me is really helpful and I can now consider both cars as equals.

Would any of you know anything about the Jeep Grand Cherokee, I know it has the best fuel efficiency and is the fastest in its class of 4x4's, however it also happens to be among the cheapest (off UK), does it have any problems or is it also just suffering from the Pajero syndrome
Chaka
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:04:57 AM

Vj wrote:

@Vj,
Which non-GDI types are there and how would you know which type it is?
Horton
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:22:36 AM

ermm......jes curious if u would still buy a pajero if u knew what it meant and why it isnt called "pajero" in spanish speaking countries... :)

http://hem.com.np/2008/0.../badly-chosen-car-names/
Rahatupu
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:55:30 AM

Why limit the choice of 4 x 4 to only between Pajero and Land Cruiser? IMO If you have a choice and money to boot go for the Nissan Patrol, its the mother of Four wheels. To me this is the most resilient and off road hardened vehicle the 4 x 4 class.