wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

GOOG vs AAPL - Who's the king of the hill?
muganda
#1 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 12:42:54 PM

GOOG AAPL

Oooh the quarterly results are in. Just thought it would be interesting to see Wazua opinion on which is a better counter to invest in.

AAPL

60% price change, annual
52% revenue increase, yoy
67% earnings increase, yoy
Market cap 301b

Revenue 65.2b
Operating margin 28.19%
Net profit margin 21.48%

EPS 17.91
PE ratio 18.24
ROA 22.84
ROE 35.28

GOOG

0% price change, annual
24% revenue increase, yoy
29% earnings increase, yoy
Market cap 195.6b

Revenue 29.3b
Operating margin 35.4%
Net profit margin 29.0%

EPS 26.30
PE ratio 23.26
ROA 17.30
ROE 20.68

muganda
#2 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 3:48:13 PM

Ahhh forgot to say CEOs of both companies down and away.

Steve Jobs for medical reasons leaving Tim Cook, Apple operations man, to steward the ship. And after years, Eric Schmidt who came to Google to parent the founders steps down after 9 years.

My personal opinion:
Both companies comparable in performance, though Apple has a recent spurt after iPad but how would it look in 10years?

So I'd pick GOOG, because it's young profitable and changing the world. I almost feel in 10years they'd be doing something astounding! Noting however it trades at higher P/E as compared to larger capitalized Apple.
KenyanLyrics
#3 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 5:13:15 PM

Apple might be the blue-eyed boy in the tech industry today, but their "walled garden" ideology, where they are intent on controlling all the hardware and software channels of their business, will eventually be their downfall. Google's open source approach to their business will serve them in good stead in the coming days of cloud computing.
#4 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 5:41:33 PM

KenyanLyrics wrote:
Apple might be the blue-eyed boy in the tech industry today, but their "walled garden" ideology, where they are intent on controlling all the hardware and software channels of their business, will eventually be their downfall.

I doubt that. In fact I think the opposite is true. In this day and age a tech company can't just have one product, they have to diversify. And I don't know of any of Apple's products to have failed, they are all pioneer products and have been extremely successful from the first mac to thei-mac to tha mac air, i-pod, i-tunes, iphone1-4, ipad and I'm sure the ipad 2 will enjoy even more success.

Aren't their shareholders lucky that Apple didn't just stick to computers only?

BBI will solve it
:)
Burning Spear
#5 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 10:22:46 AM

I would choose Google !

and especially their in their recent innovativeness in the development of the IDEOS phone in joint venture with Huawei technologies of china.

I dont know how many have looked at the phone with the android operating system...with a promotion price of ksh 8,499 from Safaricom,the phone has many applications rivalling Iphone which is sold at a premium.Also,IDEOS phone has allowable capacity to add 60+ applications.Applause
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it". Malcolm X
youcan'tstopusnow
#6 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 9:06:21 PM

Hate to digress, but this just sounds like KCB vs EQUITYsmileOne changed the country, though trading at a higher PE. As muganda says, you wonder where it will be in 10 years.
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
Metaur
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:49:28 AM

I have read by many sources passing so many years since that post that actually Apple is the king of the hill. It's one of the most most most company by so many characteristics that I can't even imagine. But I still do not have any of their products and do not plan to.
NewMoney
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 4:01:12 PM

Metaur wrote:
I have read by many sources passing so many years since that post that actually Apple is the king of the hill. It's one of the most most most company by so many characteristics that I can't even imagine. But I still do not have any of their products and do not plan to.

I used to be like you, never understood what is the hullabaloo about Apple products. That was until I acquired my first mac after replacing my laptops every year.

A Mac computer is ENGINEERED to perfection, compared to everything else in the market, this is nirvana in full colour. 3 years down the line, I am convinced I will never go back.

Apple has made a very sane choice to stick to one set of hardware selection and build everything else to fit nicely on it.

However, I still don't understand all the excitement about iOS/iPhones. Samsung is doing much better in terms of value for money, Maybe I will get it with time.

On the issue of Apple vs Google. Of course, I would strongly vouch for Google. These guys are basically the kings of the internet and the internet is going to be everything if it is not already. Only challenged by Amazon. Apple comes a distant 3rd which is still very impressive, it is not an easy game
Beler
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:37:16 PM

I fully agree with notes made by NewMoney. Did you also know that there can be found antique shops where still first versions of Mac computer can be purchased, and what is most interesting, it is still operational. We are speaking of period of at least 20 years