wazua Mon, May 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
How much money does it take to be affluent in Kenya?
Pablo
#21 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 9:50:58 AM

An easier way than hustling for 400k a month every month till you die, just save up like 30M or a significant portion of it. (I am sure with your lifestyle in the US this i possible, not easy but possible)

That will be enough to put up an apartment block with 25 2br apartments each of 1000Sqft. You can then spend your time playing golf at Karen CC.
gathinga
#22 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 9:51:53 AM

jasonhill wrote:
4,800,000Ksh a year madhaquer.... ok. That's a reasonable assessment. Thanks for the breakdown. On a solid, conservative investment... let's say a government bond, how much would I need to invest into the bond? Would an 5% return on such a bond, or a bank fixed deposit seem feasible? Are the returns from investment income taxed? If so, at what rate? If 4.8m is what I need yearly from the investment, that's about 96mil in government bonds or bank CDs that I'd need to invest in order to live off the interest. I guess the biggest question is taxation on the capital gains. It's pretty high here in the US. Is it also high in Kenya?

Fomoney... Thanks for your comment. I understand that my question was fairly broad. Thanks for your input.

Boss have you considered getting into Kenyan business via private equity. Lately there has been a goldrush by private equity firms to get a piece of the cake in young Kenyan businesses. Mostly this has been in the areas of manufacturing, healthcare, finance, IT. More than 20 private equity firms have now set up shop here in the last 12 months.

The good thing is there are businesses looking for as low as US$ 100,000 and offering significant equity stakes for it.

Follow these links

http://www.theeastafrica.../-/cdfgimz/-/index.html

http://www.nation.co.ke/...0/-/cfjwr6/-/index.html

http://www.theeastafrica...0/-/42w37y/-/index.html

bird_man
#23 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 10:59:55 AM

@jasonhill.....You might really hustle here in Kenya trying to make 400k/month even with your good experience in IT consulting.

As someone suggested,save up and construct some flats.A relative of mine has 8 two bedroom apartments in South C whose rent is 29k/month.She spent 15M constructing them (she had bought the land in yr 2000 at 2M).That's an easy 232,000sh every month. Why don't you save around 20M to buy prime land now (should take you 4yrs) and another 30M (should take you 4yrs) to construct houses that will fetch you over 400k a month?

You can then come back in 8yrs and play golf at Karen all day and night.Otherwise I find it silly for old Wazees who are 40yrs plus consulting in IT day and night.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
jasonhill
#24 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 6:06:24 PM

@Obi 1 Kanobi, I have a lot of Kenyan friends here in the US, and what I know is the result of a good amount of research.

@gathinga, that is $35 million dollars, that's correct. When it comes to buying companies, that isn't a lot of money. It is quite doable to raise that kind of money from investors and other sources, run book, roadshow, and buy a controlling interest. Remember, rich people love to invest. If I have a plan to turn it around and make it highly profitable, and I'm the guy that can get it done, and can convince investors of that, 35 mil ain't nothin' but a number. By the way, thank for for the private equity information. I will certainly look into that.

@pablo and bird_man, I just want to clarify... what you are telling me is that if I show up with 30mil Ksh, or US$375k, that I can build a multi-unit residential property that will make me 232,000Ksh/$US2900 a month, in which I can live quite nicely in a Nairobi suburb? If so, that's very doable.

If that's the case, should I get a plot or two now, and then develop it when I get there? I like how that sounds. Thank you both.
jmbada
#25 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:11:43 AM

Jasonhill: U sound like a man with a plan. I suspect u r validating your decision. The advice so far has been spot on...property is your absolute best option if you can secure a separate income stream for your lifestyle / or adjust it downwards! Main thing is to separate your business from your living expenses. Most of the property moguls I know in Kenya were happy to live off their spouses'/their own meagre income as the portfolio grew. Even to date they are landlords to tenants with better cars than their own! Best of luck and give us a shout when you get settled in.
mukiha
#26 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:28:16 PM

half acre in Kile-Lavi will put you back Sh70m

Put up 8 units of apartments at say, another Sh30m

Rent them out at Sh60k each

Live in one of them if you want...

Total Expenses = SH100m (US$ 1.25m)

Income = Sh455k pm assuming you are living in one of them...

Pay tax of Sh80k pm and you are left with sh375k... remember, your housing is already taken care of.... you have enough for a good life!
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
mukiha
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:33:53 PM

....lead time: 36 months

Current rents are ABOVE sh70k for new units, but there is an oversupply. So to fill up your units, you can under-price to sh65k
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Pablo
#28 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 6:36:36 PM

@jasonhill
A quarter acre in a place like Ngong, Kiserian, Uthiru etc is possibly about 7-8M. Construction costs @ 14,000 per SqM for 20,000 sq ft (1 sqM = 10.77SqFt) totals up to about 32 - 33M.

If these are 25, 2br flats your rental could anywhere between 350k - 400k.
KenyanLyrics
#29 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:02:11 AM

mukiha wrote:

With prices like these people are still touting real estate as the best investment?! 1.25 million dollars should buy you a mansion in the Hamptons, not an apartment block in Lavington! Surely there must be some better underpriced assets in this Kenya
gohill
#30 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 9:40:30 AM

KenyanLyrics wrote:
mukiha wrote:

With prices like these people are still touting real estate as the best investment?! 1.25 million dollars should buy you a mansion in the Hamptons, not an apartment block in Lavington! Surely there must be some better underpriced assets in this Kenya

@KenyanLyrics, did you really understand or did you read the thread to understand what's being discussed before commenting? I really doubt you did.
gohill
#31 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 9:42:01 AM

KenyanLyrics wrote:
mukiha wrote:

@KenyanLyrics, did you really understand or did you read the thread to understand what's being discussed before commenting? I really doubt you did.
tony stark
#32 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 2:27:25 PM

KenyanLyrics wrote:
mukiha wrote:

How much do you think 1/2 an acre plot is in Nyari over 20-35 million and you can not build flats in Nyari!! There are people who are selling single residential houses for 100 mill.
mukiha
#33 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 7:59:20 AM

KenyanLyrics wrote:
mukiha wrote:

Yesterday, I saw a new development coming up on 1/2 an acre in Kileleshwa. It has 24 units! 3 blocks with 8 flats each.

Just as I thought that was a lot, I turned round the corner to see another one with about 50 units - four blocks each going 7 floor up!

So: our friend can put up a modest 24 units at about sh90m + sh70m for the plot = sh160m ($2m)

Expected return now comes to about Sh1.4m pm... about sh1m after tax.
Papa Investor
#34 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:46:31 AM

So: our friend can put up a modest 24 units at about sh90m + sh70m for the plot = sh160m ($2m)

Expected return now comes to about Sh1.4m pm... about sh1m after tax.

13yrs payback period for own development....this seems a bit too high...

Which other ways to outlay same cash but juice annual returns to >10% annually?
KenyanLyrics
#35 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:47:17 AM

@Tonystark funny that you mention Nyari. I live on a 5 acre plot in there and this place was built earlier this decade with WAAAY less than what you've quoted. Iko kitu with these recent land and housing prices. I'd advise jasonhill to hold out for 2012 to do real estate investment
tony stark
#36 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 6:27:48 PM

KenyanLyrics wrote:
@Tonystark funny that you mention Nyari. I live on a 5 acre plot in there and this place was built earlier this decade with WAAAY less than what you've quoted. Iko kitu with these recent land and housing prices. I'd advise jasonhill to hold out for 2012 to do real estate investment

1. Ati you are 25 living in nyari? You are probably 25 living in your parents in nyari.

2. Hakuna 5 acre plots in nyari ..... never ever!!!

3. The current prices are a consequence of supply and demand!! Kwani 2012 land will miraculously appear from heaven or people will move to makueni hence reducing demand of land in Nairobi

4. You know we are in 2011 which decade are you talking about??

The 35 mill was a piece of land near the dam which was told the owner said not thanks to ... the offer was not from our group though. The 20 mill was another 3/4 in the back dam that is smaller but the prices were too rich for my group!
So I suggest you tell your parent thanks for the roof in a posh neighbourhood!!!
Gordon Gekko
#37 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:25:31 PM

The next frontier in real estate are the county capitals. Once the counties kick in there will be movement out of Nairobi to the counties. That means property prices will correct themselves in Nairobi, those of county capitals will appreciate, and there will be a demand for rental units in the county capitals. My 2 heavily depreciated Egyptian pounds.
KenyanLyrics
#38 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:59:34 PM

I won't jack this thread with a personal argument, so just continue giving @jasonhill advice
kadonye
#39 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:24:18 PM

@GG, I doubt there will be any major shift towards the counties. These county govts are as slightly more powerful than county councils. There is very little devolution. However, it is true that we are increasingly becoming a majority urban population country and you cant go wrong with real estate.[quote=Gordon Gekko]The next frontier in real estate are the county capitals. Once the counties kick in there will be movement out of Nairobi to the counties. That means property prices will correct themselves in Nairobi, those of county capitals will appreciate, and there will be a demand for rental units in the county capitals. My 2 heavily depreciated Egyptian pounds.[/q
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
Drunkard
#40 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:57:19 PM

jasonhill wrote:
@VituVingiSana, thanks for the advice. Can you tell me what goods stand out in your mind that are more expensive or are of an unusable quality? Maybe we'll get together one day and find a way to import better goods at cheaper prices. 99.999% of goods sold in the USA are made in China. There must be a fair amount of "rebadging" going on for Kenyans to think that US products are of a higher quality. I don't see why we can't cut out the middle man and import direct from China. The only thing that the USA and UK companies do is make Chinese companies refund their (and thus the customer's) money for shoddy items and offer warranties to customers. The warranty simply means that they will send a bad item back to China and China sends out a new, working item. Labor is too expensive in the US and UK to repair most things- cheaper to replace. That said, I don't understand what seems to me to be a Kenyan affinity for US and UK goods, and an aversion to Chinese goods. All the US and UK do is quality-assess and inspect the goods, and demand the better quality yields, and better specifications of the same products from the same factories in China. If we enforce such wholesale quality and spec demands of China from Kenya, we will be able to offer good products for cheaper and make a fortune. What I don't know about, not having done business in Kenya, is import duties and getting stuff through the port of Mombasa... paperwork gets stalled... that's my biggest concern. I can't have that. I'll pay kitu kidogo, if I have to. In the US, kitu kidogo is called "consulting fees" and "union scale" or some other catchy term. There is no difference, except once it is paid things move very, very quickly. I just can't ever have business waiting- ever. That would put us at a tactical disadvantage. On the other hand, I don't want to have to commute to Mombasa every other day to make sure my stuff gets offloaded and into trucks. Other than that, there's billions of Shillings in retail if we cut out the middleman, in my view, and I look to my fellow Wazuans to "show me the ropes".

@X13united, thanks for the comment. I love the fact that it seems that Kenya is at the point where a great deal of money can be made in international business by being flexible and adapting to changing market conditions and needs. I'm open to any legit business that I can understand that isn't a pyramid scheme, and that I have a direct, on-the-ground hand in directing and contributing to. That's my issue with stocks- if I'm not on the board of directors, I have a problem, because I lack the influence to move the stock- unless I buy a controlling interest in it in which case I'd install myself as COO.

@jmbada, I agree totally. In the US, having house helps is out of the question unless you make around 80,000,000Ksh+ a year. Labor is very, very expensive and regulated. That's the greatest luxury to me: multiple personal assistants. In the US I have a work-only secretary. I need a personal one (or two). Every other luxury item, besides very fast internet and maybe a decent Italian suit or two, I can do without. I'm as comfortable in a Changaa joint with a giant straw as in the Sarova for lunch drinking Mtembezi Blue.

Power and water are indeed a concern of mine; I have baked in plans for extra generators, flywheel UPSs and water tanks into all commercial and residential projects that I have in mind. I was considering building a datacenter, but I think I will wait until the telecom wars are over and internet access prices even out, all the fiber is laid, and AccessKenya has spent all its cash on fiber, and maybe buy them out and restructure their debt ;)

As far as the downsides like traffic, bribes, power outages, bad cars, street boys, etc... sounds like Los Angeles, which is where I'm from. And in true Los Angelino fashion, I'll probably open a record label and recording studio just for fun when I touchdown in Nai. Maybe KenyanLyrics can help with with running that and recruiting talent.

@AliBaba thanks for the tax tip. I hear that you don't mess around with the KRA... you pay them, and on time, so I'll keep that in mind when calculating my returns.

@KenyanLyrics, Fair question. I am a Negro/Colored/Black/African American...Acata Technology Executive. Now if you had asked me my tribe, I would have been offended ;)

so before I was ever here, Jason Hill was already fake!