wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages«<234
Safaricom TV
butterflyke
#61 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 11:20:12 AM

muganda wrote:
Okay so the launch is going down in Sarit Centre. If this reveal is true http://www.kahawatungu.com/2015...y-content-from-bamba-tv/:
BOX costs a minimum of 5,000
BOX requires a minimum of 1,000 monthly
BOX only provides Local stations, FTA and YouTube
Is it premature to wonder whether this will even be a success?

Hoping they offer better terms with time, less banditry Pray
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. - Muhammad Ali🐝
madollar
#62 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 1:39:21 PM

muganda wrote:
Okay so the launch is going down in Sarit Centre. If this reveal is true http://www.kahawatungu.com/2015...y-content-from-bamba-tv/:
BOX costs a minimum of 5,000
BOX requires a minimum of 1,000 monthly
BOX only provides Local stations, FTA and YouTube
Is it premature to wonder whether this will even be a success?

Depends who is the target market lakini this one is not for mwananchi wa kawa
Mkenia
#63 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 4:12:48 PM

I am still trying to figure out who safcom are targeting!

HD streaming (whether Utube, Netflix, IPTV subscription) regardless of the content and assuming average 2hrs daily watching can go up to 100GB per month - translating to KES 8,000 at the 50GB@KES4000 tariff. I am actually comparing this to DSTV Premium bouquet and I'm not seeing safcom edge.

Well, as for using the gadget purposely for FTA TV/ light browsing needs - There seems to be other convenient and affordable options.
YoungMulla
#64 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 6:16:35 PM

I don't get it, why would I want 'the box'?
If I want to stream data or browse, orange and ZUKU are ahead on this.
FTA channels with a 5K decoder?? Are these guys nuts???
Before I die - i will touch the sky!!
double eem
#65 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 8:01:01 PM

I will not be suprised for safaricom to offer the same box for 1k after ripping us off. Just like they did with modems and sim cards...
mawinder
#66 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 9:23:43 PM

double eem wrote:
I will not be suprised for safaricom to offer the same box for 1k after ripping us off. Just like they did with modems and sim cards...

And I will not buy it even for 1k as there are better options out there.
kayhara
#67 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 10:11:01 PM

FAIBA are giving us 5MB connection for 5k a month why would I buy the big box, offers me no better option plus 10k for a set top box and router?
To Each His Own
murchr
#68 Posted : Saturday, May 09, 2015 6:30:48 AM

kayhara wrote:
FAIBA are giving us 5MB connection for 5k a month why would I buy the big box, offers me no better option plus 10k for a set top box and router?

gazeti wrote:
The Big Box’, the 4G-enabled device incorporates data and Pay TV services, with features such as over 30 free-to-air channels, TV recording capability, and USB and SD media playback for pictures, music and videos. “We (Safaricom) have applied to the Communication Authority for a broadcasting license that will enable us to provide more products and services for our customers in the segment,” he said.

Currently, only Wananchi group’s Zuku that offers voice, Internet and broadcast as a package.

In short, they are offering what faiba offers and more(tv).

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
kayhara
#69 Posted : Saturday, May 09, 2015 9:17:16 AM

murchr wrote:
kayhara wrote:

gazeti wrote:
The Big Box’, the 4G-enabled device incorporates data and Pay TV services, with features such as over 30 free-to-air channels, TV recording capability, and USB and SD media playback for pictures, music and videos. “We (Safaricom) have applied to the Communication Authority for a broadcasting license that will enable us to provide more products and services for our customers in the segment,” he said.

Currently, only Wananchi group’s Zuku that offers voice, Internet and broadcast as a package.

In short, they are offering what faiba offers and more(tv).

For moderate users it's a good option, but for heavy browsers FAIBA works, but safaricom is laying fibre in many areas hope when they start they will give better terms, what became of fibre at home pilot test at Nyayo estate?
To Each His Own
nakujua
#70 Posted : Saturday, May 09, 2015 11:23:28 AM

kayhara wrote:

Hi mambo sijaelewa, I just can't see the business sense in that box - but I am assuming safcon has brilliant strategy minds and so it follows kuna kitu wameona.

but I personally think its a stupid idea, they are giving out fta channels and limited monthly bundles while the competition is offering premium tv content plus unlimited faster monthly internet.

at those price points and away from the fiber network one is better paying 800 per month to gotv for better tv content and top it up with 1000 to orange for unlimited internet for the month.
kollabo
#71 Posted : Saturday, May 09, 2015 12:48:11 PM

Zero benefit here from Safaricom. Orange has 1month unlimited for 2,990. Connect your TV with HDMi and you have the best internet TV in Kenya.

watesh
#72 Posted : Saturday, May 09, 2015 10:12:17 PM

kollabo wrote:
Zero benefit here from Safaricom. Orange has 1month unlimited for 2,990. Connect your TV with HDMi and you have the best internet TV in Kenya.

Though for orange its 30Gb limit FUP then afterwards speeds go down to below 256kbps...
Mike Ock
#73 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 3:28:16 AM

I think safaricom just wanted to get their name in the game of set top boxes before it's too late, then they'll optimize the package down the line. I'll pass till they come to their senses and offer unlimited net for less than 5k and box price of less than 5k also