TheGeek
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 05, 2015 10:24:19 AM

maka wrote:
murchr wrote:
vickii wrote:
maka wrote:
murchr wrote:
mulla wrote:
[quote=maka]Finally their TV is here....35 channels.

source of information?? if true we should be thinking of ksh20 by year end....

Maka rumors wachia wengine

You know I never argue with you...just wait for it in March price 499/=
The decoder 3499/=.

What Maka is saying is true. though it may delay abit. [/
quote]

Pay TV? I spent a whole hr looking for this news everywhere

Just be patient and wait for it please...There was a briefing for certain members of staff on 17th Feb...

Internet Cable tv is here
In the world of securities, courage and patience become the supreme virtues after adequate knowledge and a tested judgment are at hand.
maka
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 05, 2015 11:07:12 AM

TheGeek wrote:
maka wrote:
murchr wrote:
vickii wrote:
maka wrote:
murchr wrote:
mulla wrote:

The decoder 3499/=.

quote]

Just be patient and wait for it please...There was a briefing for certain members of staff on 17th Feb...

I believe someone called me a rumour mongersmile
possunt quia posse videntur
murchr
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 05, 2015 3:48:58 PM

maka wrote:
TheGeek wrote:
maka wrote:
murchr wrote:
vickii wrote:
maka wrote:
murchr wrote:
mulla wrote:

The decoder 3499/=.

quote]

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Othelo
#24 Posted : Thursday, March 05, 2015 4:01:46 PM

murchr wrote:
maka wrote:
TheGeek wrote:
maka wrote:
murchr wrote:
vickii wrote:
maka wrote:
murchr wrote:
mulla wrote:

The decoder 3499/=.

quote]

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

People never forget in Wazua whenever they were hurt Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
Boris Boyka
#25 Posted : Thursday, March 05, 2015 4:43:13 PM

murchr wrote:
I don't know who would know the future of Safaraicom, thats abit too foreign

Jehovah wanyonyi? or kanyari.?..no. God only!
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
Aguytrying
#26 Posted : Friday, March 06, 2015 8:46:38 AM

Safaricom gets go-ahead to import digital set-top boxes

safaricom gets go ahead to import digital set top boxes with internet

What does this mean for the Broadcasting industry. NTV, KTN, CITZEN.and especially the expensive DSTV?

Home internet- ZUKU, ORANGE, FAIBA etc?

There could be a major shake up especially for Pay tv services and home internet.
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
Swenani
#27 Posted : Friday, March 06, 2015 8:57:49 AM

Aguytrying wrote:

What does this mean for the Broadcasting industry. NTV, KTN, CITZEN.and especially the expensive DSTV?

There could be a major shake up especially for Pay tv services and home internet.

Good times ahead!
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Akenyan2014
#28 Posted : Friday, March 06, 2015 8:59:54 AM

Aguytrying wrote:

You notice that some of those companies including those you listed have their own consumer niche.
Also note that the market is just too enormous for one player to dominate.
Safcom can succeed on ubiquitous infrastructure but will flop on pricing if I take the current example of 'zambaza bundles' and 'post paid tarrifs'
Safcom will likely sell internet bundles while some players have flat monthly charges.
Price wars will definitely hurt all players.
My prediction is whoever takes the Citizen model to provide local content of acceptable quality plus offer a VAS in the form of internet could stand to be counted
Pesa Nane
#29 Posted : Friday, March 06, 2015 9:02:23 AM

Aguytrying wrote:

Bob slept on this one! The writing has been on the wall last two years. Had Safcom filled the gaps during the "blackout" the notorious 3 musketeers would not have recovered from their grandstanding.
And why do you think they have trooped back to the digital platform? And made everyone aware they are back?
NKT BOB CIANO CALLMORE Sad
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Aguytrying
#30 Posted : Friday, March 06, 2015 12:45:33 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

Bob slept on this one! The writing has been on the wall last two years. Had Safcom filled the gaps during the "blackout" the notorious 3 musketeers would not have recovered from their grandstanding.
And why do you think they have trooped back to the digital platform? And made everyone aware they are back?

I also thought of that missed opportunity, to give it a push. but like @Akenyan254 says, with pricing and monthly deals, they could spark price wars. consumer wins. But safcom has never been known to be cheap. If i could get DSTV and monthly internet at the same price as a VAS, i would be sold.

Also if safcom can somehow get the English premier league (EPL) + monthly internet even DSTV will start sweating seriously. Pay TV without EPL is a flop
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
mlennyma
#31 Posted : Friday, March 06, 2015 1:54:22 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

I also thought of that missed opportunity, to give it a push. but like @Akenyan254 says, with pricing and monthly deals, they could spark price wars. consumer wins. But safcom has never been known to be cheap. If i could get DSTV and monthly internet at the same price as a VAS, i would be sold.

Also if safcom can somehow get the English premier league (EPL) + monthly internet even DSTV will start sweating seriously. Pay TV without EPL is a flop

true,the person controlling epl rights has the killer blow on all others
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
GGK
#32 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 12:10:47 PM

There is something that attracted my attention..... "TV ON DEMAND"
Meaning if a viewer just want to watch a movie he pays for that one movie instead of paying monthly, same for LIVE event like a soccer match, the viewer pays for that particular event.

My worry is how many STBs one will need to enjoy all different services on offer even when the TV has DVB-T2 tuner & common card interface
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
geofreygachie
#33 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 11:10:54 PM

d'oh! d'oh!
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
D32
#34 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:54:09 AM

geofreygachie wrote:
d'oh! d'oh!

LOL! Laughing out loudly
They tried to bury us, they didn't know we were seeds.
D32
#35 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:10:13 AM

And someone or some folk need to sort out Airtel, to have them get the 4G spectrum that they need. I bet that with 4G, they can really shake up the TV space as well. See what they did with Unliminet? That Safcom had to drop the bundle costs.

http://www.standardmedia...-4g-rollout&pageNo=1
They tried to bury us, they didn't know we were seeds.
jwatesh
#36 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 9:16:49 AM

D32 wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
d'oh! d'oh!

LOL! Laughing out loudly

Just 8GB while Zuku gives us unlimited, Safaricom have to be joking...I was hoping for 80GB or even 20GB for 2k...Orange offers 30gb for 3k and thats not a tv bundle. Safaricom have to get serious if they want some serious market share
geofreygachie
#37 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:38:23 PM

jwatesh wrote:
D32 wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
d'oh! d'oh!

LOL! Laughing out loudly

Just 8GB while Zuku gives us unlimited, Safaricom have to be joking...I was hoping for 80GB or even 20GB for 2k...Orange offers 30gb for 3k and thats not a tv bundle. Safaricom have to get serious if they want some serious market share

Safaricom TV is coming this Friday.Cant Wait to see what they have to offer.
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
washiku
#38 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 5:40:06 AM

geofreygachie wrote:
jwatesh wrote:
D32 wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
d'oh! d'oh!

LOL! Laughing out loudly

Safaricom TV is coming this Friday.Cant Wait to see what they have to offer.

Liar Didn't see them
murchr
#39 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 5:48:33 PM

techsawa.com wrote:
So how will the Safaricom set top box be?

I have read some articles on the internet that claim that Safaricom’s new set top box will be like the Zuku triple play, which offers Telephone, High speed internet and Cable TV all in one package. I think this is somehow misguided because probability of the decoder being a cable set top box are very small. The reason being that cable decoders are very limited when it comes to area coverage. For example Zuku cable does not even cover a fraction of Nairobi leave alone the whole country. That said I expect the following from the Safaricom decoder:-

A normal Digital set top box which can be connected to a normal aerial; for viewing free to air dvbt2 channels.
The decoder will have a SIM slot which will enable the decoder to access the internet. As we already know Safaricom has invested heavily on the 4G network in Kenya so I also expect the decoder to be 4G compatible. (Talk of an STB with an inbuilt modem)
The decoder should have a USB port capable of driving very large capacity Hard Disk Drives like 500GB or even 1TB. Its either this or because of copyright, the HDD will be internal.

Because the decoder is internet enabled, Safaricom has confirmed that the STBs will come with an additional functionality which can be used as a hotspot to connect to internet. In simple English they will provide you with WiFi right in your own house.
I also expect a Smart TV user interface on the decoder where a person can be able to watch YouTube videos, surf Google Maps, listen to international radio using vtuner, chat on twitter and facebook and also the ability to download and play games. I do not expect any browser.
The ability to stream movies and music using the inbuilt apps as well as record programs using the PVR functionality.

Over the Air or should I say Over the Internet software upgrades.

The ability to send and receive text messages but not to make phone calls.

Video on Demand, this is where you watch what you want when you want. It’s very simple just search and stream or search, pay and stream. This is where the TV bundles come in The TV bundles on the Safaricom bundles website are very expensive 2GB peak/1GB off-peak FOR kSH499 4GB peak/2GB off-peak for Ksh299 8GB peak/4GB off-peak for Ksh2999 A normal 1 Hour 30 min movie is around 1GB. So is Safaricom suggesting that we are going to pay Ksh500 for only two movies? This is the equivalent of 10 5o bob movies available at the movie dens, which by the way is also Video on Demand.

So what are TV bundles Safaricom, I one asked them on twitter and the reply was just wait. Well we are waiting.

And we're still waiting..
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Realtreaty
#40 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 4:30:05 PM

SAFARICOM -KENYAN GREEN

Its Home at last!!!!
Kenya's Safaricom to drive Internet usage with 4G, TV decoders
The Future is brightsmile smile smile Applause Applause
Michael Joseph-Bob CALL More