wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages«<2345>
Top 50 Private Secondary Schools
oops
#61 Posted : Thursday, October 08, 2015 12:29:13 PM

Anyone with st patrick Hill in kiserian and also Lukenya?
sanity
#62 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:16:42 AM

I need to change schools for my high school girl whose performance has hit rock bottom in a National public school.she's agreed to repeat form 3 in a private school.I revived this thread to seek reviews of potential private schools preferably in Nairobi area.I know we have some pretty decent private schools which focus on overall development of the child.
Hope is not a strategy
Bigchick
#63 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:19:52 AM

sanity wrote:
I need to change schools for my high school girl whose performance has hit rock bottom in a National public school.she's agreed to repeat form 3 in a private school.I revived this thread to seek reviews of potential private schools preferably in Nairobi area.I know we have some pretty decent private schools which focus on overall development of the child.

Not from experience but hearsay.

1.Riara Springs
2.Aga Khan
3.Shree Cutchi Leva Nairobi West.
4.Loreto Msongari
5.NOVA (Not sure if they have form 3 yet.)

Question?Was she in a private primary school?
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
sanity
#64 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:52:52 AM

Bigchick wrote:
sanity wrote:

1.Riara Springs
2.Aga Khan
4.Loreto Msongari

oh yes Biggie oh yes..
Hope is not a strategy
hardwood
#65 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:23:25 AM

sanity wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
sanity wrote:

1.Riara Springs
2.Aga Khan
4.Loreto Msongari

oh yes Biggie oh yes..

Maybe you could let her finish schooling at the national school. I know someone whose boy was at a top national school and the kid was always position 250+. The parents (and the boy) were very depressed since the boy was always tops at primary school (private), but when form 4 results came out the boy got a very good grade and is doing law, though in the school ranking he was still position 250+. National schools are very competitive because all the kids are very good, the top cream.

Its like in athletics where you could be last while competing with elite athletes (and feel bad) but your "time" is still very good. The alternative is to compete with grade 2 athletes and you become no 1 and feel good but your "time" will be below average.
AlphDoti
#66 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:56:57 AM

hardwood wrote:
sanity wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
sanity wrote:

1.Riara Springs
2.Aga Khan
4.Loreto Msongari

oh yes Biggie oh yes...

Maybe you could let her finish schooling at the national school. I know someone whose boy was at a top national school and the kid was always position 250+. The parents (and the boy) were very depressed since the boy was always tops at primary school (private), but when form 4 results came out the boy got a very good grade and is doing law, though in the school ranking he was still position 250+. National schools are very competitive because all the kids are very good, the top cream.

Its like in athletics where you could be last while competing with elite athletes (and feel bad) but your "time" is still very good. The alternative is to compete with grade 2 athletes and you become no 1 and feel good but your "time" will be below average.

@hardwood what you've said makes sense.

What spoils Nairobi kids is class thing in school. They arrive there and put themselves in special class, and from their stories of my parents have PRADO, my PS, my hover-board etc... As a result the "poor" kids from other towns and country-side yearn for this kind of life-style one day and are immediately motivated to study harder... So since the city kids waste so much time with side shows, studies suffer.
Lolest!
#67 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:29:11 AM

@hardwood,@Doti You guys have made good points. The lie that national school students are pampered and that's why they pass has been sold for long. It's simple. You get the best from all over, you're more likely to get better results at KCSE level. Hence an index 1 in X Primary goes to Loreto Limuru and has to settle for index 130!

Changes happen too. like someone joining a national school when they're No 1 student in Kenya and dropping to no. 20s in the school. Then later they struggle to get an A plain. They're still the bright student they were, but a slight drop in form happens

The class thing...hehehe...I don't think it's the main issue. Some Nairobi kids did really well in school but they really looked down on mashambani people. They easily singled you out if you couldn't speak like them. Could be an issue for girls though...

BUT...I have always thought that the competitive nature of national schools where everyone you meet was top of their class in primary school could affect some and make them drop academically. I think there are students who are better off in places where they are tops than in places where they're seen as average or poor

Much like in sports(football) some players shine more in smaller clubs.

Let the parent listen to and understand their child.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
hardwood
#68 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:38:16 AM

Lolest! wrote:
@hardwood,@Doti You guys have made good points. The lie that national school students are pampered and that's why they pass has been sold for long. It's simple. You get the best from all over, you're more likely to get better results at KCSE level. Hence an index 1 in X Primary goes to Loreto Limuru and has to settle for index 130!

Changes happen too. like someone joining a national school when they're No 1 student in Kenya and dropping to no. 20s in the school. Then later they struggle to get an A plain. They're still the bright student they were, but a slight drop in form happens

The class thing...hehehe...I don't think it's the main issue. Some Nairobi kids did really well in school but they really looked down on mashambani people. They easily singled you out if you couldn't speak like them. Could be an issue for girls though...

BUT...I have always thought that the competitive nature of national schools where everyone you meet was top of their class in primary school could affect some and make them drop academically. I think there are students who are better off in places where they are tops than in places where they're seen as average or poor

Much like in sports(football) some players shine more in smaller clubs.

Let the parent listen to and understand their child.

Some interesting observation there. With 'x' millions, I know it would feel better to be the richest man in Buru Buru than being the poorest man in Runda. It's an ego thing.
Gakware
#69 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:45:30 PM

Note that Wamy is predominantly muslim......walalo wamejaa huko.
The past is the past, you either run from it or learn from it!
Rahatupu
#70 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:41:26 PM

Who knows how good the Turkish ran Light Academy is? Academics and co curricular activities
Angelica _ann
#71 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:34:35 PM

Rahatupu wrote:
Who knows how good the Turkish ran Light Academy is? Academics and co curricular activities

Another Islamic oriented school d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
hardwood
#72 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:57:50 PM

Rahatupu wrote:

Intelligence is inherited. Thus a D- parent will bear a D- kid. Therefore what is key is the genetics of the parents. Which means these schools won't help you much if your genes say otherwise. It would be a waste of money.
sanity
#73 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 2:42:48 AM

hardwood wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:

Intelligence is inherited. Thus a D- parent will bear a D- kid. Therefore what is key is the genetics of the parents. Which means these schools won't help you much if your genes say otherwise. It would be a waste of money.

Wrong! in life you have the ability to chart your own path.with such a mindset,we would still be in the stone age cracking nuts.
Hope is not a strategy
Mukiri
#74 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 3:01:42 AM

hardwood wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Proverbs 19:21
Mukiri
#75 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 3:07:33 AM

AlphDoti wrote:
hardwood wrote:
sanity wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
sanity wrote:

1.Riara Springs
2.Aga Khan
4.Loreto Msongari

oh yes Biggie oh yes...

What spoils Nairobi kids is class thing in school. They arrive there and put themselves in special class, and from their stories of my parents have PRADO, my PS, my hover-board etc... As a result the "poor" kids from other towns and country-side yearn for this kind of life-style one day and are immediately motivated to study harder... So since the city kids waste so much time with side shows, studies suffer.

@Alph, I hope your studies didn't suffer much?

Mukiri
#76 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 3:13:35 AM

Jokes aside, and having attended a National school myself, I'd say they are overrated. Every child is unique, and if a school, whatever school for that matter, doesn't agree with them, change! Adolesence is a crucial period for a child. Whatever is hampering performance, whether or not they can pinpoint it, might have lasting ramification for the rest of their life.

AlphDoti
#77 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 6:24:21 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:

You're so short sighted at times. If a school has been awarded license to operate, then it means it offers curriculum(s) recognized in that country. Besides the school offering IRE, it must have CRE teachers for the Christian pupils too.

Open up your mind.
AlphDoti
#78 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 6:26:43 AM

Mukiri wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:
hardwood wrote:
sanity wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
sanity wrote:

1.Riara Springs
2.Aga Khan
4.Loreto Msongari

oh yes Biggie oh yes...

@Alph, I hope your studies didn't suffer much?

How is that? I thought by now you should know that some of us went to school when all schools were PUBLIC? The above is referring to your kids circumstances... so I hope your kid's studies don't suffer much.
AlphDoti
#79 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 6:31:20 AM

Mukiri wrote:
Jokes aside, and having attended a National school myself, I'd say they are overrated. Every child is unique, and if a school, whatever school for that matter, doesn't agree with them, change! Adolesence is a crucial period for a child. Whatever is hampering performance, whether or not they can pinpoint it, might have lasting ramification for the rest of their life.

National schools have the reputation of being cosmopolitan and levels people... how did you attend one and still came out full of sectarianism and chauvinism? Ama this was 90% your own community?
FancyFace
#80 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 11:09:24 AM

AlphDoti wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:

You're so short sighted at times. If a school has been awarded license to operate, then it means it offers curriculum(s) recognized in that country. Besides the school offering IRE, it must have CRE teachers for the Christian pupils too.

Open up your mind.

Well put Alpha.

Speaking from experience the percentage of other religions is much higher than Muslims. It is a fantastic school.

Problems can get out of proportion, and not only in the wee small hours. Don't let the problems eclipse the Master. Let the Master eclipse the problems.