wazua Wed, May 15, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Who is using microsoft Navision??
MrTyrus
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:04:38 PM

Hi guyz, since most pple here are in the finance sector or have deep interest in this sector, I would like to know if anyone has used Navision and how they feel about it. I need to make some decisions on whether it's a viable route for an IT tech (am an IT tech btw) to take. smile
bird_man
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:13:52 PM

MrTyrus,
If you are in the IT field then its a definite YES!However, ensure you are on the technical side of it and not on the sales side.Companies that I know are using it include LAP Trust,KK Group of Companies,Kenya Re,Marshalls,Kenya Coffee Board,East Africa Re etc

Note that this are all companies with huge budgets and thus can afford to pay a neat sum for the system (and the consultants).
The other ERPs in competition pay wise are SAP and T24 but each is peculiar to a specific industry.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
Trump
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:26:12 PM

Tyrus,

Its a good system lakini if it goes down, or needs modification it can be hard to get a qualified person to do it. Its a worthwile venture
Just do it!
MrTyrus
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:27:09 PM

thanx bird_man
n r they heavy consumers of NAV,like will they keep consulting or require an inhouse guy for it, since the word is that wen its nicely implemented its like it has a life of its own
bird_man
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:53:38 PM

@MrTyrus,
Well I'm not sure if I could give a good answer to that.I had 3friends (young guys,26-28yrs) who were consulting for all these companies I have mentioned.When the system was implemented at LAP Trust, they poached one of the consultants for a gross of about 230K.LAP still has an SLA with the consulting company worth 2.4M per yr.

The other 2 were poached by KK Group for around 250K gross.

I don't know if that's a good salary but for a 27yr old I think it is quite above average.The other guys who are getting neat sums are T24 guys...the most EXPENSIVE are SAP. If you have a good opportunity, get into Navision, its here to stay and the companies will always need you either as an employee or for side jobs you can do during weekends.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
MrTyrus
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:58:32 PM

Thanx man, those salary ranges r quite impressive 4 a young guy n the market seems not saturated judging from wat trump said that its hard to get qualified pple. I think its worthy of my 2011
mozenrat
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:08:45 PM

Did someone just compare Navision to SAP??? Blasphemy!!!

Navision = small to medium sized enterprises
SAP = the big leagues

Don't even mention the two in the same paragraph
muganda
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:16:51 PM

@mozenrat well said. But I hear debate some companies considering shifting from Oracle to SAP. Now, among the big leagues, why would anyone want to do that?
bird_man
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:57:55 PM

@mozenrat I was just giving several choices.Of course when you talk about SAP you are talking about the likes of EABL,Nation Media etc....the big guys.It was a just by the way mention I didn't actually compare the two in any way.
SAP is damn expensive (software and consultants wise) and so is T24 for financial institutions.Navision comes a few Kms behind.
Djinn
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:12:21 PM

bird_man wrote:
@mozenrat I was just giving several choices.Of course when you talk about SAP you are talking about the likes of EABL,Nation Media etc....the big guys.It was a just by the way mention I didn't actually compare the two in any way.
SAP is damn expensive (software and consultants wise) and so is T24 for financial institutions.Navision comes a few Kms behind.

@bird_man - not quite. In the last 3-5 years SAP has become scalable even for the SME sector. A good example is Acacia Pharmacy - i think they are more like small retail outlets, perhaps 10 branches max and headcount no more than 60-70. Its not for the big guns any more...

Navision? wow, its been eons since I heard abt that. I think the last time I heard about it I was fiddling with SQL*Plus...
Djinn
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:17:50 PM

Mr Tyrus, just a suggestion - http://www.epicor.com - if its ERP you are lookign at getting into, try epicor - they bought Scala and aside from the "regular" version, they are also fronting a "cloud" version - i.e. pay per use. I know they have been trying to make headway in Kenya and old school Scala users are quite a number.
Djinn
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:20:31 PM

@mozenrat and bird_man - http://www.sap.com/sme/s...t/businessone/index.epx

that talks abt their SME solutions...
mozenrat
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:12:50 PM

Djinn wrote:
Mr Tyrus, just a suggestion - http://www.epicor.com - if its ERP you are lookign at getting into, try epicor - they bought Scala and aside from the "regular" version, they are also fronting a "cloud" version - i.e. pay per use. I know they have been trying to make headway in Kenya and old school Scala users are quite a number.

Epicor may be a good product but their implementers are always trying to screw their clients.. always trying to squeeze that extra buck from the client.. by the time you're throu with them, your backside just hurts!!!
Wodu Wakiri
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:45:35 PM

Mr Tyrus, have you considered open source ERPs? They are usually a cheaper alternative to the SAPs, Oracle, Ms Navision etc. A friend of mine works with a Kenyan company that deploys open source ERPs. You can check them out here:

www.at.co.ke
bird_man
#15 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2011 9:02:03 AM

@Djinn, thanks for the SAP info didn't quite know that it's moving to SME. Maybe that's why my cousin told me that they are using it at Sameer's Yana Tyres.Asante!

mozenrat
#16 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2011 2:35:19 PM

bird_man wrote:
@Djinn, thanks for the SAP info didn't quite know that it's moving to SME. Maybe that's why my cousin told me that they are using it at Sameer's Yana Tyres.Asante!

Sap Business One for SMEs has been around for quite some time.. Just make sure you ask for the right product otherwise you might have to sell your entire business in order to pay for SAP R3 or SAP ECC...
kivairu
#17 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 8:44:42 AM

Just curious, why is T24 more confined to banks.Have seen it only at 2 leading/giant banks in kenya only. It comes with an integrated enterprise CRM module as well.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein.
bird_man
#18 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 9:07:29 AM

@kivairu T24 is a Core Banking System and has banking modules only thus can only be used in banks.Actually the list of banks and financial institutions in Kenya on T24 is really growing.
KCB,CFC Stanbic,Commercial Bank of Africa,KWFT,Kadet (World Vision),UN Sacco,Kenya Bankers Sacco,Faulu Kenya,Dubai Bank(K) Ltd,SMEP....and the list is growing!
Djinn
#19 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 9:07:37 AM

kivairu wrote:
Just curious, why is T24 more confined to banks.Have seen it only at 2 leading/giant banks in kenya only. It comes with an integrated enterprise CRM module as well.

Temenos 24 is a CORE banking solution - thats why. With ERP, CRM elements to it.
kadonye
#20 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 9:29:58 AM

Someone help me understand:why would SMEs go for expensive SAPs while they can opt for cheaper systems that meet their needs?
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing