wazua Sat, Sep 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Do you think this idea will fly in Kenya?
KenyanLyrics
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 08, 2010 2:28:21 PM

There is a concept of 'Group Buying' that has recently taken the digital world by storm. The idea is that you have a heavily subsidized offer from a certain business(like a 'deal of the day'), then this offer is advertised online, and the trick is, the offer is only valid if a certain number of people subscribe to it. Groupon.com pioneered this concept, and has this year recorded 500million dollars in profit, and Google wanted to buy the damn company for 6 BILLION dollars(with a 'b')! The downside of this idea is that it is so very easily copied. Any web developer worth his salt can design a Groupon clone in less than a day. Kenyan Groupon clones are popping up now, in the form of rupu, sokopal, zetu, et cetera.

Do you think that this idea can kick start the e-commerce revolution in Kenya?

Have you ever used one of these sites? What was your experience?
poundfoolish
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 08, 2010 2:48:57 PM

with all the Kenyan imitations popping up, the working formula will all depend on their business models..
alma
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 08, 2010 2:57:49 PM

copying is normal..doesn't mean it will work. There's a paypal clone, do you think you can compete with them? there's a google clone, can ur's succeed? There are even facebook clones, have they worked?

there are matatus everywhere. Does it mean if you buy one you will be a matatu mogul?
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
msotoville
#4 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 8:44:05 PM

poundfoolish wrote:
with all the Kenyan imitations popping up, the working formula will all depend on their business models..

True dat @pound!

Out of all the examples quoted by @KenyanLyrics, I've never heard of the concept or those sites other than from this thread.

It's a good idea. All it needs is a tactful and creative marketing guru.
So nice that its nasty, so bangin' its busting,
So slick that its sick, so dope its disgusting!
anasazi
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:21:13 PM

The problem with this model, with the competition in it, is that it needs massive volumes for the site owners to make cash! All the best to them!
Form is temporary, class is permanent
tuvok
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:23:46 AM

There's already too many of them, and as anasazi said, volumes may not be sufficient.
I spend alot of time online and still haven't closed a transaction on any of them. I'm sure I'm not the only one...
Dia
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:35:42 PM

I have thoroughly enjoyed my two deals from Zetu.co.ke, one as recently as last Sunday.
tony stark
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2010 2:41:43 AM

Kenyalyrics ... at last you are asking relevant questions as opposed to age bashing wazua members and advertising your silly website. Naona umewacha tabia zako za gachie east.
This group marketing is the way to go. It is a great idea for thousands of businesses that can't afford advertising through mass media and this is th greatest media to cometheir way.
Of the websites Zetu is the most active with deals daily while sokopal has the least.
To achieve their goals they have to advertise their services to the local shops and consumers
kadonye
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2010 10:54:51 AM

@tony stark, gachie east ni wapi?smile
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing