wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

773 Pages«<8990919293>»
Kenya Airways...why ignore..
Thiong'o
#1801 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 8:04:49 PM

murchr wrote:
1masha wrote:

If KQ was to quit flying today, what would these pilots do? Probably that is what they should be doing now.

The pilots are his clients' and share holder No. 3
obiero
#1802 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 8:59:30 PM

it should be known that its not all the pilots, but a select few. problem is that some are untouchable including sons of powerful men in Kenya

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 23,800 ABP 6.45
maka
#1803 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 8:26:43 AM

Guess how much one hotel is making for the month of March coz of such issues?90 mio...
possunt quia posse videntur
VituVingiSana
#1804 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 1:50:16 PM

maka wrote:
Guess how much one hotel is making for the month of March coz of such issues?90 mio...
I wonder if that hotel is the same on the former CEO allegedly had shares in...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
sparkly
#1805 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 5:03:24 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
great comeback from the CEO's mouth.. www.nation.co.ke/oped/Op...-/tjm5lmz/-/index.html..

Which CEO is going to say the firm he is running is doomed?

Do NOT conflate the Airline (KQ) with the Shareholders (You). What's good for Mbuvi, the pilots, the crew, the (non-shareholder) directors, the government and the lenders is NOT always good for the SHAREHOLDERS.

Will KQ survive? Yes. It's a political thing.
Will (ordinary) shareholders be wiped out? Probably.

Mbuvi is talking about the AIRLINE not the shareholders capital/equity.

Mbuvi: Hefty monthly salary + Perks
Pilots + Crew: Hefty monthly salary + Perks
Directors: Perks e.g. free flights
GoK: VAT, Excise, PAYE, etc
Banks: Interest Income, Fees, etc
Shareholders: No dividends, no profits, no capital appreciation, no growth in NAV.

KQ makes money for everyone one else but the shareholder! Add tenderprenuers to the list.
Life is short. Live passionately.
obiero
#1806 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 6:35:14 PM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
great comeback from the CEO's mouth.. www.nation.co.ke/oped/Op...-/tjm5lmz/-/index.html..

Which CEO is going to say the firm he is running is doomed?

Do NOT conflate the Airline (KQ) with the Shareholders (You). What's good for Mbuvi, the pilots, the crew, the (non-shareholder) directors, the government and the lenders is NOT always good for the SHAREHOLDERS.

Will KQ survive? Yes. It's a political thing.
Will (ordinary) shareholders be wiped out? Probably.

Mbuvi is talking about the AIRLINE not the shareholders capital/equity.

Mbuvi: Hefty monthly salary + Perks
Pilots + Crew: Hefty monthly salary + Perks
Directors: Perks e.g. free flights
GoK: VAT, Excise, PAYE, etc
Banks: Interest Income, Fees, etc
Shareholders: No dividends, no profits, no capital appreciation, no growth in NAV.

KQ makes money for everyone one else but the shareholder! Add tenderprenuers to the list.

obiero
#1807 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 6:41:20 PM

our day will soon come. past is not an indicator of future.. but recall KQ once touched KES 120 per share

MaichBlack
#1808 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 9:07:18 PM

obiero wrote:
I could write a thesis on this.. From gold in SA, hardwood in DRC, oil in Angola, cocoa in Ivory Coast, whitest of longbeach in Somalia.. We are simply cursed

I watched a documentary on CNN about the cocoa business and the plight of farmers in Ivory Coast and it is pure Highway Robbery!!! Richard Quest did the math and the amount of money the multinationals were making and how much of that trickled back to Ivory Coast was criminal! If you look at the images of the employees and executives at the chocolate companies and then immediately after that you are shown the mages of the farm owners and workers (some of them kids) it just breaks your heart!!!

What's worse, most of those interviewed (I think ALL) had never tasted chocolate in their lives. The first time was the one they were given by Richard Quest!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Sober
#1809 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 9:10:02 PM

obiero wrote:
our day will soon come. past is not an indicator of future.. but recall KQ once touched KES 120 per share

And right now it's courting 6.90 how low can it go so we buy the entire business
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
obiero
#1810 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 9:40:47 PM

Sober wrote:
obiero wrote:

And right now it's courting 6.90 how low can it go so we buy the entire business

Upon release of FY, if loss before tax goes above 9.5B, we will see the share at KES 5.. But that will be the last time it ever touches that price. Obama will give KQ landing rights to the USA and the chapter titled loss, would be closed.. Take off awaits :)

VituVingiSana
#1811 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 2:31:28 AM

MaichBlack wrote:
obiero wrote:
I could write a thesis on this.. From gold in SA, hardwood in DRC, oil in Angola, cocoa in Ivory Coast, whitest of longbeach in Somalia.. We are simply cursed

I watched a documentary on CNN about the cocoa business and the plight of farmers in Ivory Coast and it is pure Highway Robbery!!! Richard Quest did the math and the amount of money the multinationals were making and how much of that trickled back to Ivory Coast was criminal! If you look at the images of the employees and executives at the chocolate companies and then immediately after that you are shown the mages of the farm owners and workers (some of them kids) it just breaks your heart!!!

What's worse, most of those interviewed (I think ALL) had never tasted chocolate in their lives. The first time was the one they were given by Richard Quest!!!
Well, they can start making their own chocolate. It is not rocket science. There are 1000s of brands of chocolate bars. Someone has to collect, finance, plan, create, innovate, manufacture, distribute, advertise, etc... If the farmers or their cooperatives or their governments don't do it for themselves then they do not deserve the 'profit' that comes with those who take the risks from 'raw material' to 'shopping basket'
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
kiash
#1812 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 11:37:54 AM

MaichBlack wrote:
obiero wrote:

@Maichblack, its not a curse. I have visited France and they are known to have some of the best vineyards if not the finest actually.What happens is you have your several acres and you either do the process from the beginning to the end mpaka bottling.If not you are doomed, you either join the cooperatives that market the produce from the region.That is why there are wines from Rhone, Bourgone,Alsace etc and they make good money.The secret lies to making end products.I think is Arap Samoei who said once about tea that instead of selling green harvested tea, we should refine and sell it as a brand like it is with Ketepa.I usually feel the pinch when i take tasteless expensive Lipton tea which is sold by sijui an english company ama Earl grey tea whereas i could get good Ketepa tea for the same price.The same with Chocolate and Nestle.It pisses me at times when i find people taking tea and say they are drinking English tea and those in the next table wil say they are taking French wine downing with Suisse chocolate
Impunity
#1813 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 4:07:51 AM

kiash wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
obiero wrote:

@Maichblack, its not a curse. I have visited France and they are known to have some of the best vineyards if not the finest actually.What happens is you have your several acres and you either do the process from the beginning to the end mpaka bottling.If not you are doomed, you either join the cooperatives that market the produce from the region.That is why there are wines from Rhone, Bourgone,Alsace etc and they make good money.The secret lies to making end products.I think is Arap Samoei who said once about tea that instead of selling green harvested tea, we should refine and sell it as a brand like it is with Ketepa.I usually feel the pinch when i take tasteless expensive Lipton tea which is sold by sijui an english company ama Earl grey tea whereas i could get good Ketepa tea for the same price.The same with Chocolate and Nestle.It pisses me at times when i find people taking tea and say they are drinking English tea and those in the next table wil say they are taking French wine downing with Suisse chocolate

Come back home and you wont feel the pinch.

Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

murchr
#1814 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 5:43:31 AM

kiash wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
obiero wrote:

I agree with you Kiash, I was suprised to learn that what we call champagne is fine wine from Champagne in France. There was some lawsuit where some french company was suing some wine makers in California.

Brand Kenya should be the GOK entity pushing companies towards this but.....I dont see it

@VVS those kids who grow cocoa have never even tasted chocolate let alone starting to imagine how to make anything from the seeds. West Africa is still very colonized they import everything from France
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
maka
#1815 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:26:44 AM

How come we arent talking about the government bail out...

http://www.businessdaily...2/-/13knrsr/-/index.html
possunt quia posse videntur
Othelo
#1816 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:41:19 AM

[quote=maka]How come we arent talking about the government bail out...

http://www.businessdaily.../-/13knrsr/-/index.html[/quote]

Reason for bailout is very fake;

“Kenya Airways is facing challenges because their revenues have gone down due to the Ebola epidemic and the slump in tourism, therefore the Carrier has been given a loan of Sh4.2 billion through the supplementary estimates,” says the Treasury in budget documents. The bailout is to be disbursed in the form of a loan, although the terms are yet to be made public.
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
VituVingiSana
#1817 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:39:01 PM

murchr wrote:
kiash wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
obiero wrote:

I agree with you Kiash, I was suprised to learn that what we call champagne is fine wine from Champagne in France. There was some lawsuit where some french company was suing some wine makers in California.

Brand Kenya should be the GOK entity pushing companies towards this but.....I dont see it

@VVS those kids who grow cocoa have never even tasted chocolate let alone starting to imagine how to make anything from the seeds. West Africa is still very colonized they import everything from France
Then they are missing nothing. Chocolate as we know it was 'invented' in Europe when some chap added sugar to the cocoa/cacao liquor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chocolate

The original chocolate was a drink that was dark & bitter [probably healthier] than the current versions. The West Africans need to grow up and stop relying on France for their imports!
Gatheuzi
#1818 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 6:31:36 PM

Othelo wrote:
maka wrote:
How come we arent talking about the government bail out...

http://www.businessdaily.../-/13knrsr/-/index.html

Reason for bailout is very fake;

“Kenya Airways is facing challenges because their revenues have gone down due to the Ebola epidemic and the slump in tourism, therefore the Carrier has been given a loan of Sh4.2 billion through the supplementary estimates,” says the Treasury in budget documents. The bailout is to be disbursed in the form of a loan, although the terms are yet to be made public.

4.2B to KQ is peanuts. It is probably for paying May salaries and the hotel bills for passangers.

This is what I had said with regard to KQ post 1135 of this thread.

Gatheuzi wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:
Gatheuzi wrote:
Seeking financial assistance was expected. I don't envy KQ CFO for now. Given that government shareholding is below 30%, and in my view KQ will not be able to repay that debt, options that remain will be conversion of government debt to equity at a later date and in the process allow the government to be the majority shareholder. I wonder what plans KLM has.

Talking of gvt bailouts CS treasury should also set aside cash for Mumias and possibly Uchumi??? Welcome to 2015, the year of bailouts.

Wasn't aware KQ had government debt. If anything, GoK is an accounts receivable in KQ books due to VAT refunds.

Not at the moment, I am referring to the option being suggested by CITI to get government grant, which obviously can only be thought a debt.

Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
obiero
#1819 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 9:34:36 PM

last boarding call.. we are going back to double digits, without doubt.. :)

Cde Monomotapa
#1820 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 9:43:19 PM

Thanks to KQ I've learned that the plural of aircraft is aircraft.