#1781 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 7:27:12 PM

obiero wrote:
Hehe. I see what you are trying. I sold at KES 60

So since you sold the difference is: -

(60 - 58) / 60 * 100% = 3.3%

That is 3.3% decline

Now do the same with KQ.

(Buying Price - current price) / Buying price * 100%

Remember we have the dates and can therefore retrieve your buying price. No monkey business!

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Gatheuzi
#1782 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 7:36:12 PM

The profit .. opps, no, the prophet sold on 2nd Mar 2015;
Gatheuzi wrote:
obiero wrote:
KiFagio wrote:
obiero wrote:
sold my entire KCB holding today @ 60

You must be loaded. What was your entry point?

Profit 19,600X(60-26.50)=656,600.
Potential CGT ignoring brokerage fees = 32,830.

Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
obiero
#1783 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 8:19:01 PM

great comeback from the CEO's mouth.. www.nation.co.ke/oped/Op...-/tjm5lmz/-/index.html..

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 23,800 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#1784 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 2:44:11 AM

obiero wrote:
great comeback from the CEO's mouth.. www.nation.co.ke/oped/Op...-/tjm5lmz/-/index.html..

Which CEO is going to say the firm he is running is doomed?

Do NOT conflate the Airline (KQ) with the Shareholders (You). What's good for Mbuvi, the pilots, the crew, the (non-shareholder) directors, the government and the lenders is NOT always good for the SHAREHOLDERS.

Will KQ survive? Yes. It's a political thing.
Will (ordinary) shareholders be wiped out? Probably.

Mbuvi is talking about the AIRLINE not the shareholders capital/equity.

Mbuvi: Hefty monthly salary + Perks
Pilots + Crew: Hefty monthly salary + Perks
Directors: Perks e.g. free flights
GoK: VAT, Excise, PAYE, etc
Banks: Interest Income, Fees, etc
Shareholders: No dividends, no profits, no capital appreciation, no growth in NAV.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
heri
#1785 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 8:10:47 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

Do NOT conflate the Airline (KQ) with the Shareholders (You). What's good for Mbuvi, the pilots, the crew, the (non-shareholder) directors, the government and the lenders is NOT always good for the SHAREHOLDERS.

Shareholders: No dividends, no profits, no capital appreciation, no growth in NAV.

http://www.cofek.co.ke/i...ngunze-ceo-kenya-airways
winmak
#1786 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 1:33:15 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

I must have been hallucinating, I saw a contribution by VVS in support of KQ recovery... Amd possibly boarding the mbus in 2017 d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
obiero
#1787 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 5:51:28 PM

winmak wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

I must have been hallucinating, I saw a contribution by VVS in support of KQ recovery... Amd possibly boarding the mbus in 2017 d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

@winmak.. vvs used to own KQ shares by the lorry! he usually remembers the massive losses he encountered in the past hence the cause of bad blood and bile.. he is blinded by the past!

VituVingiSana
#1788 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 11:54:36 PM

obiero wrote:
winmak wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

@winmak.. vvs used to own KQ shares by the lorry! he usually remembers the massive losses he encountered in the past hence the cause of bad blood and bile.. he is blinded by the past!

@Winmak - before I get back on KQ, it has to prove itself.
@Obiero - Learn the lessons from others losses...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#1789 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:21:16 PM

All businesses have challenges, more so in
our aviation industry, which is cyclical in
nature and fraught with many risks.
These include fuel price volatility, intense
competition and more recently the threat
of terrorism and epidemics that have adversely impacted global travel. There is
also political instability, natural disasters
and an increasingly tight regulatory
environment and KQ is not isolated from
any of these. KQ has expanded its global footprint
across multiple jurisdictions flying to 52
destinations. As a global airline, we are
governed by stringent international
aviation rules that we must adhere to. Strong consumer activism in some
markets like the European Union (EU) has
imposed high costs of operations in cases
of schedule interruptions. But it has not always been doom and
gloom. Over the last decade, Kenya
Airways worked hard to successfully shed
the image of an ailing airline dependent
on government lifeline. Since it was privatised in the late 1990s,
the airline grew rapidly, lifted by strong
fundamentals and embracing a culture of
competitiveness and innovation. Before
the current spate of challenges, KQ was
one of the most profitable airlines even earning the ‘Most Respected Company in
East Africa’ accolade. Are we in debt? Yes we are. Is this
normal for airlines? Most certainly. The
question is one of balance for both long
term and short term debt. Long term debt
is the norm for financing asset
acquisition together with equity. In the short term, we are experiencing a tight
liquidity position driven by our business
environment. Were we too ambitious in our plans? Only
time will tell. KQ from 2002 to 2011 grew
from a turnover of Sh25 billion to over
Sh100 billion, in the same period. It only
made a loss in 2009. Against this
backdrop, the Board embarked on a second phase of growth and renewal with
mixed results thus far. Operationally, we have seen significant
improvements over the last two years
both in on time performance and service.
In the last month though, we have had
significant disruptions to our schedule
integrity which has regrettably impacted our loyal customers for two reasons. Firstly, the change of schedule due to the
runway closure and attendant internal
adjustments we have had to make. Secondly, we have had labour relations
issues with some of our pilot community
which in some instances has led to last
minute flight cancellations or delays. So, whereas KQ may today be grappling
with challenges, what is important is that
we stay focused in delivering on the
wider promise. What matters most is the
measures instituted to put the business
on a recovery path and ultimately on a sound footing.

hisah
#1790 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2015 11:54:20 PM

FY - 25/06/2015

Price action since HY results indicates the market is still not yet done deflating the price as we approach FY announcement next month. Current price is below the post HY sharp selloff bottom back in Nov 2014. Bear trend still intact since 2011!
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
Gordon Gekko
#1791 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2015 9:08:13 PM

@dailynation:
NDII: Binge investing: Lessons from KQ and Mumias. bit.ly/1JJggNi
murchr
#1792 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 1:55:44 AM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
@dailynation:
NDII: Binge investing: Lessons from KQ and Mumias. bit.ly/1JJggNi

Quote:
So we have here two alternative investment strategies. KQ and Mumias strategy seems to be “if you build they will come”, while the Safaricom and Equity Bank strategy seems to be “when they come we shall build”. There are two reasons why shareholders of a company should be very wary of investment binges.

I disagree with his theory. When Equity was busy recruiting members and opening ATM points, acquiring branches here and there, many predicted its death due to heavy investments without the numbers and deep pocket customers. Infact Ndii himself resigned as an advisor to the bank when rumors went around that portrayed Equity as a ticking time bomb.

Truth is all these companies went on binge investing, they all raised money through the stock exchange. On investments, Equity did so aggressively in applications and technology hence the ATMs, presence of their branches everywhere and agency banking...now telecommunications. For Safcom, they also invested in technology 2G, 3G now 4G(heck how many have 3G compatible phones let alone 4G) and fiber optic cable which they continue doing yet many dont even know what that cable can do.

Yes Mumias shouldn't have invested in a water bottling plant esp since they were only thinking of water and nothing else (sparkling, mineral, purified etc) , the other investment avenues eg. Electricity, Ethanol are sound investments if well managed would have made Mumias RICH. Mumia's biggest problem is not investing on a bottling plant.. but sugar barons

KQ's biggest issue was the delay of planes by Boeing then when the planes landed the political climate changed, when they climate improved terrorists came calling, they hedged on fuel then the prices went down (missed on that) so they kept on paying more for cheap jet fuel then add those high operating costs all that equal to a DISASTER.

In this article Ndii is allover the place, he touches on the LAPSSET prog, Nokia, Tesla, geothermal you can tell he's a typical economist..."dont spend...eish, lets wait and see what will happen tomorow" mentality trying to be a strategist.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Thiong'o
#1793 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 2:57:34 AM

In these recent days am seeing lots of optimism & goodwill for KQ at least if the below response among others on a colleague's fb complaint about a delayed Eldoret flight and asking for government's intervention to avoid the airline's collapse is anything to go-by.

CP
"Poleni XX. These are challenging times for our flag carrier. I believe the company is resilient enough to overcome the tough times. The new CEO seems smart enough to steer the company back on course".
murchr
#1794 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 5:05:07 AM

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
enyands
#1795 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 8:24:02 AM

murchr wrote:

There is one thing I don't get . Nigeria is one of the world's top oil producer . What idiocracy is tthis.it's like having a farm of grain and your own children are dying of hunger. I won't be surprised that with all this oil popping up in Kenya bei ya mafuta will constantly be like other countries that don't produce oil. I think we have a curse in Africa. .....
winmak
#1796 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 12:14:40 PM

enyands wrote:
murchr wrote:

There is one thing I don't get . Nigeria is one of the world's top oil producer . What idiocracy is tthis.it's like having a farm of grain and your own children are dying of hunger. I won't be surprised that with all this oil popping up in Kenya bei ya mafuta will constantly be like other countries that don't produce oil. I think we have a curse in Africa. .....

Same thing with our coffee... Produced here, shipped out then back here after some processing with 5x the markup...
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
obiero
#1797 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 1:16:09 PM

winmak wrote:
enyands wrote:
murchr wrote:

Same thing with our coffee... Produced here, shipped out then back here after some processing with 5x the markup...

I could write a thesis on this.. From gold in SA, hardwood in DRC, oil in Angola, cocoa in Ivory Coast, whitest of longbeach in Somalia.. We are simply cursed

1masha
#1798 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 5:24:09 PM

Good judgement is often the result of experience. Experience is often the result of bad judgement.
VituVingiSana
#1799 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 5:46:22 PM

winmak wrote:
enyands wrote:
murchr wrote:

Where do you buy your coffee?
Please respond with specifics so I can research this further.

There's plenty of 100% locally produced and 100% locally roasted coffee in Nakumatt as well as Dormans/Java shops.
murchr
#1800 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 6:12:47 PM

1masha wrote:

If KQ was to quit flying today, what would these pilots do? Probably that is what they should be doing now.