sparkly
#1241 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 7:22:52 PM

itz wrote:
obiero wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:
This is confirmation that Ngunze was the wrong choice for KQ.
http://bit.ly/1KsdQ5i
A sales office in Tea Room, another at the Junction, talk of split personality, lakini nitakufa nayo, my average buy price is shocking.

Tema hio mate mbaya! Ngunze is a gift from God

It's the traders who requested.

Traders requested a ticketing office at Tea Room? Unless it is a cargo centre, they can't walk to Barclay's Plaza to buy a ticket? And how many traders are these to warrant an office?
Let us assume a basic office. Rent 20k, manager 100k, 3 x clerks 100k, cleaner 10k, utilities 20k, total 250k. The office needs to generate 250k per month to cover fixed costs. Kwani hawo watu wa Luthuli wanaleta nini?

Hapo Luthuli kuna pesa mingi.. Na Kamukunji, River Road. Most of the shops there make more money than ordinary office workers at banks, law firms etc.. The downtownians actually travel alot too, to Dubai, China etc

@obiero thanks for educating @gordon before he continued to sound ignorant on this matter.

JamboJet ticketing office. Shuttle to/from airport coming soon hahaha.
Life is short. Live passionately.
obiero
#1242 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 8:09:16 PM

sparkly wrote:
itz wrote:
obiero wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:
A sales office in Tea Room, another at the Junction, talk of split personality, lakini nitakufa nayo, my average buy price is shocking.

Traders requested a ticketing office at Tea Room? Unless it is a cargo centre, they can't walk to Barclay's Plaza to buy a ticket? And how many traders are these to warrant an office?
Let us assume a basic office. Rent 20k, manager 100k, 3 x clerks 100k, cleaner 10k, utilities 20k, total 250k. The office needs to generate 250k per month to cover fixed costs. Kwani hawo watu wa Luthuli wanaleta nini?

Hapo Luthuli kuna pesa mingi.. Na Kamukunji, River Road. Most of the shops there make more money than ordinary office workers at banks, law firms etc.. The downtownians actually travel alot too, to Dubai, China etc

@obiero thanks for educating @gordon before he continued to sound ignorant on this matter.

There has been a shuttle since Jambojet's inception

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 23,800 ABP 6.45
Gordon Gekko
#1243 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 9:20:41 PM

My argument is pretty simple. KQ already has a clientele from Luthuli. Which extra customers will they win because of opening an office in Luthuli? If anything, new customers can be captured by simply reducing fares. I know Luthuli customers who use Ethiopian, Qatar, Etihad, Gulf Air, Emirates lately Rwandair simply on the basis of ticket price. This lot will not spend an extra $100 simply because they've been saved a walk to Barclay's Plaza. They are even ready to spend hours layovers at foreign airports to save this $100.
My aversion of Nguze is that he is a dye in the wool consultant, and I have nasty experiences with consultants who have moved to management. Consultants (PwC, Deloitte, Ernst etc) write great theoretical papers from their air conditioned offices but are an unmitigated disaster when given opportunity to implement their lofty ideas.
Case in point, you all remember that consultant from Coopers&Lybrand who was made MD of Unga to implement a white paper he had developed on turning around the miller. We know what happened to Unga. The same consultant went to head NBK, again we know what happened.
I say again, KQ needs a proven FMCG leader to run it, on the mould of Michael Joseph or Vimal Shah. They could even have taken the Marketing Director who joined them from Bidco.
KQ will do well, not on account of Nguze (or the Luthuli office) but on account of stars having lined themselves - lower fuel prices, efficient competitive fleet, low interest rates.
sparkly
#1244 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 11:20:05 PM

obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
itz wrote:
obiero wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:

Shuttle from Luthuli. KQ/ JamboJet has stooped as low as competing for passengers with Eldoret express and Modern Coast.
derick
#1245 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 11:45:33 PM

I think KQ are doing the right thing downtown is where the money is.
Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
VituVingiSana
#1246 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 2:00:29 AM

obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
itz wrote:
obiero wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:
maka wrote:
obiero wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:

Ahem. Where is the Jambojet shuttle in Nairobi? There's one in Mombasa & Eldoret. Not that I know of in Nairobi but please let me know.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#1247 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 2:02:05 AM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
My argument is pretty simple. KQ already has a clientele from Luthuli. Which extra customers will they win because of opening an office in Luthuli? If anything, new customers can be captured by simply reducing fares. I know Luthuli customers who use Ethiopian, Qatar, Etihad, Gulf Air, Emirates lately Rwandair simply on the basis of ticket price. This lot will not spend an extra $100 simply because they've been saved a walk to Barclay's Plaza. They are even ready to spend hours layovers at foreign airports to save this $100.
My aversion of Nguze is that he is a dye in the wool consultant, and I have nasty experiences with consultants who have moved to management. Consultants (PwC, Deloitte, Ernst etc) write great theoretical papers from their air conditioned offices but are an unmitigated disaster when given opportunity to implement their lofty ideas.
Case in point, you all remember that consultant from Coopers&Lybrand who was made MD of Unga to implement a white paper he had developed on turning around the miller. We know what happened to Unga. The same consultant went to head NBK, again we know what happened.
I say again, KQ needs a proven FMCG leader to run it, on the mould of Michael Joseph or Vimal Shah. They could even have taken the Marketing Director who joined them from Bidco.
KQ will do well, not on account of Nguze (or the Luthuli office) but on account of stars having lined themselves - lower fuel prices, efficient competitive fleet, low interest rates.

@GG - True but there is a market for KQ in these areas. The office is not that pricey when one looks at KQ's other expenses. If the office can build a rapport with the traders and figure out what else they want except low fares then it is a huge Research tool for KQ.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#1248 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 7:03:54 AM

i know some branches for big banks in areas such as Mogotio, Sori and Serem. such offices are not meant to generate profit, so calculation office space plus tea girl costs is an effort in futility. these are merely a service centres to ensure convenience of existing clientele. actually, the Barclays Plaza one should be closed down since most of the clientele there are online enabled

obiero
#1249 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 10:02:26 AM

www.nation.co.ke/news/Li...32/-/lxa598/-/index.html

Gathige
#1250 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 8:51:54 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:

They have just lost a good customer" a friend of mine" who lost all her christmas shopping on a connecting flight from Paris to Nbi.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
obiero
#1251 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 10:29:54 PM

loosing luggage on an international flight is like spilling some beer in a pub

maka
#1252 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 5:20:25 AM

Gathige wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:

They have just lost a good customer" a friend of mine" who lost all her christmas shopping on a connecting flight from Paris to Nbi.

Where was the connection from?
possunt quia posse videntur
Gatheuzi
#1253 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 7:03:22 AM

obiero wrote:

The poor lady may have spent a fortune, wacha jokes @obiero. Hope she had taken travel insurance, or maybe KQ has a policy cover for those eventualities.
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
maka
#1254 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 7:29:56 AM

Gatheuzi wrote:
obiero wrote:

The poor lady may have spent a fortune, wacha jokes @obiero. Hope she had taken travel insurance, or maybe KQ has a policy cover for those eventualities.

The bags will be looked for,(is that correct English,tafutwad)for 21 days and then she will be required to fill in an insurance claim form so that the process starts
If KQ gets the bags after 21 days they stop processing the claim
Compensation is paid out per kilo.... The value of the items in the bag are never considered unless you take out a separate insurance for items in the bag...Sad
possunt quia posse videntur
VituVingiSana
#1255 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 10:03:27 AM

obiero wrote:
What's the opposite of loosing a bag? Is it is tightening a bag?
MaichBlack
#1256 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 11:03:13 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
What's the opposite of loosing a bag? Is it is tightening a bag?

He he he. Don't blame @Obiero. He was probably affected by numerous teachers' strikes.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
mibbz
#1257 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 11:52:58 AM

Gordon Gekko wrote:

@GG this is the wisest comment in this thread.KQs pricing are a tad higher in comparison to competitors and they keep trying to whip up customers via this brand loyalty issue.That we should build our own. All said and done its about the most efficient option-cheaper seat with better service and there is no denying gulf carriers offer that.
I'm just wondering if they could offer some sort of price point 'discrimination' or a bespoke approach to the more loyal customers/traders in some of the long haul sectors with say 65% load.
Gordon Gekko
#1258 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:17:54 AM

What further confirmation does one need that the guy is wrong for CEO?
“The board has retained the services of a financial adviser to help re-balance our demand for cash and buy us time to drive the sales we need,” Mr Ngunze said.
Should the focus be balancing books or filling seats?
Othelo
#1259 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:28:38 AM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
“The board has retained the services of a financial adviser to help re-balance our demand for cash and buy us time to drive the sales we need,” Mr Ngunze said.

Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
sparkly
#1260 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:32:56 AM

Gordon Gekko wrote:

Now selling land.

www.businessdailyafrica....42/-/l5qnqr/-/index.html