Kenya Airways...why ignore..
obiero
#1201 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 8:46:47 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
ike wrote:
Afroblk wrote:
Airline stocks flying high as crude-oil prices sink
http://www.msn.com/en-us.../ar-BBg64MS?ocid=HPCDHP

hopefully this will reduce KQ's overhead cost and post good numbers next quarter.

of course kq management know how to lose money. they most probably hedged at $99, or are going to do that starting tomorrow
This would not surprise me!

Every action has a reaction

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 23,800 ABP 6.45
obiero
#1202 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 7:03:59 PM

in the last two weeks..

obiero
#1203 Posted : Sunday, December 07, 2014 6:16:48 PM

obiero wrote:
in the last two weeks..

We are headed back to KES 10 and higher. Akisema atakubariki.. :)

hisah
#1204 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:56:02 PM

South African Airways CEO Says Etihad Has Stake Option

Quote:
Fast-expanding Gulf carrier Etihad Airways PJSC has the option of taking a stake in unprofitable South African Airways as the latest in a string of purchases that included a multi-billion-dollar investment in Alitalia SpA.

Etihad, one of three Middle Eastern carriers transforming the airline industry with vast fleets of wide-body planes, could buy a minority holding, acting SAA Chief Executive Officer Nico Bezuidenhout said today. For South Africa, a deal would also advance the biggest asset-sale program in a decade.

If Etihad can wager on SAA, KQ should be also on their line of sight...
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
Cde Monomotapa
#1205 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:33:47 PM

hisah wrote:
South African Airways CEO Says Etihad Has Stake Option

Quote:
Fast-expanding Gulf carrier Etihad Airways PJSC has the option of taking a stake in unprofitable South African Airways as the latest in a string of purchases that included a multi-billion-dollar investment in Alitalia SpA.

Etihad, one of three Middle Eastern carriers transforming the airline industry with vast fleets of wide-body planes, could buy a minority holding, acting SAA Chief Executive Officer Nico Bezuidenhout said today. For South Africa, a deal would also advance the biggest asset-sale program in a decade.

If Etihad can wager on SAA, KQ should be also on their line of sight...

As SAA tackles the largest cost item; SA Airways to test tobacco biofuel in 2015 Read more: http://www.southafrica.i...hTZqOO6Sp#ixzz3LVOCqgCL

Going by the stats of only 12% infra-Africa trade, there should be more than enough for everybody. Political goodwill, infrastructure, people-goods-capital flows and we've got it!

In terms of profitability, that's on a case by case basis.

@Obiero when will your Jambojet do NBO-HRE? Now that Fastjet imewekwa brakes?!? *disgruntled*
VituVingiSana
#1206 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 12:40:32 AM

KQ just can't catch a break http://www.businessdaily...4/-/plh3uh/-/index.html Now during the peak season a go-slow!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Akenyan2014
#1207 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 2:32:28 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
KQ just can't catch a break http://www.businessdaily...4/-/plh3uh/-/index.html Now during the peak season a go-slow!

Give us a break, I think we need a consultant to do civic education about KQ.

When air traffic controllers go on strike it is Not KQ, it is KCAA staff.

When JKIA gets fire, it is Not KQ, it is KAA premises on fire.

When you see a huge KQ advert on Mombasa road painted the Pride of Africa that structure Not owned KQ, it is Ogilvy or equivalent advertising firm carrying out advertising work on behalf of the client KQ.

In every negative news in aviation the headlines on many dailies carry 'gory' pictures of the otherwise healthy KQ aircraft.Even for an airport tender gone sour they still hang a placard of the dreamliner on the headlines NKTShame on you Shame on you Shame on you KQ needs to sue those mischievous reporters in the spirit of supporting the new amendments to the Security laws.
Impunity
#1208 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 3:19:27 AM

Akenyan2014 wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

When you see a huge KQ advert on Mombasa road painted the Pride of Africa that structure Not owned KQ, it is Ogilvy or equivalent advertising firm carrying out advertising work on behalf of the client KQ.

In every negative news in aviation the headlines on many dailies carry 'gory' pictures of the otherwise healthy KQ aircraft.Even for an airport tender gone sour they still hang a placard of the dreamliner on the headlines NKTShame on you Shame on you Shame on you KQ needs to sue those mischievous reporters in the spirit of supporting the new amendments to the Security laws.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Gordon Gekko
#1209 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 7:54:07 AM

Akenyan2014 wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

When ATC's go on strike, who spends fuel on the apron while waiting for clearance?

When JKIA catches fire, who burns fuel taking aircraft to Mombasa/Entebbe for parking?
Monk
#1210 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 11:39:40 AM

Akenyan2014 wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

@Akenyan, you missed the point @VVS was making by a mile...Sad
VituVingiSana
#1211 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 11:56:21 AM

Monk wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

@Akenyan, you missed the point @VVS was making by a mile...Sad

@Monk one can only Pray for KQ. You got my point. It matters little whether it is KCAA's 'fault' or KAA's 'premises' that catch fire... It's KQ that pays the price for grounded aircraft, delayed flights, pricey taxiing or circling around JKIA...

KQ makes money when its aircraft are in the air full of passengers & cargo. Not when the planes are sitting on the ground, empty...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#1212 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 4:54:51 PM

the problem with KQ is that there are too many people/institutions that are wishing it ill luck.. Some call it juju..

Akenyan2014
#1213 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 7:55:13 PM

@ VVS, I din't miss your point , you had none. You are right @Obiero on this one. It is not that I don't reckon the myriad of challenges but are you not aware that most of these issues being raised daily affect all other airlines as well? Kenyans have never been proud of anything they own. Only giving negative sides of parastatals even when they try to make a small profit.
Remember what happened to Orange. All the time it was making losses, and state diluting its shareholding. Only to come out last year and say it made a profit - long after the govt. had found its holding diluted.
1masha
#1214 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 9:00:42 AM

Akenyan2014 wrote:
@ VVS, I din't miss your point , you had none. You are right @Obiero on this one. It is not that I don't reckon the myriad of challenges but are you not aware that most of these issues being raised daily affect all other airlines as well? Kenyans have never been proud of anything they own. Only giving negative sides of parastatals even when they try to make a small profit.
Remember what happened to Orange. All the time it was making losses, and state diluting its shareholding. Only to come out last year and say it made a profit - long after the govt. had found its holding diluted.

@Akenyan, if @VVS had no point, then it is also pointless of you to get annoyed, more so over no point. The go-slow will obviously eat up KQ's revenues, in one way or another
Good judgement is often the result of experience. Experience is often the result of bad judgement.
tom_boy
#1215 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:28:46 AM

Akenyan2014 wrote:

Kuwa mpole @ ak. KQ is hardest hit by these issues as it uses JKIA as its hub. All their aircraft pass through JKIA as opposed to other airlines where only a few aircraft need to come to JKIA. In addition, other airlines can choose not to come to Nrb if issues get elephant. KQ cannot do that.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
VituVingiSana
#1216 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2014 12:07:38 AM

LMAO... Watu wana-catch feelings over KQ even when one sympathizes with KQ. Sawa. I (thankfully) sold off my KQ years ago during the Rights Issue thanks to convincing data & arguments/discussions. The rest is history.

Sources:

1) http://www.investinginaf...8/kenyan-ceo-ownership/
2) http://coldtusker.blogsp...&utm_medium=twitter
3) http://coldtusker.blogsp...ther-kenya-airways.html

And of course fellow wazuans like @kausha
VituVingiSana
#1217 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2014 12:15:59 AM

obiero wrote:
the problem with KQ is that there are too many people/institutions that are wishing it ill luck.. Some call it juju..

Liar Liar Liar ... BTW, how's the dividend? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Oops, I meant the possibility of a dividend in 2018 only if the shareholders pump in a plenty of ma-billions to wipe off the debts!

So get ready to support your hometown airline by buying more, more, more shares in the Rights Issue! I estimate KQ needs at least Shs 30bn to enable it reduce the debt [interest payments] to manageable levels.

Current Market Cap with 1.5bn shares issued = 13bn [which is now lower than what KQ raised in the 2012 Rights Issue]
Raising 30bn means issuing 3.5bn shares... Get your RTGS ready!

JUJU... JUJU... JUJU... JUJU... JUJU... JUJU... JUJU... JUJU...
hisah
#1218 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2014 12:40:26 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

Liar Liar Liar ... BTW, how's the dividend? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Oops, I meant the possibility of a dividend in 2018 only if the shareholders pump in a plenty of ma-billions to wipe off the debts!

So get ready to support your hometown airline by buying more, more, more shares in the Rights Issue! I estimate KQ needs at least Shs 30bn to enable it reduce the debt [interest payments] to manageable levels.

Current Market Cap with 1.5bn shares issued = 13bn [which is now lower than what KQ raised in the 2012 Rights Issue]

Wow! That's some serious math @vvs. Hadn't looked at the market cap for a while. Indeed another heavy dilutive rights issue if one comes up!! And more prayers if those fuel hedges still exist with the current oil nosedive... Those hedging losses won't be funny plus the tourism slump and the ebola ugliness. Titanium balls needed...
$15/barrel oil... The commodities lehman moment arrives as well as Sovereign debt volcano!
VituVingiSana
#1219 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2014 1:09:23 AM

hisah wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:

Wow! That's some serious math @vvs. Hadn't looked at the market cap for a while. Indeed another heavy dilutive rights issue if one comes up!! And more prayers if those fuel hedges still exist with the current oil nosedive... Those hedging losses won't be funny plus the tourism slump and the ebola ugliness. Titanium balls needed...

I have balls of clay when it comes to 'loser' investments.
Comprehensive PBT Loss of 13.5bn in 6 months. I do not see a profit for the 2H seeing how few tourists are showing up. Add the continuing ebola scare + al-shabaab.
As for lower oil/fuel prices, KQ will benefit but also lose on hedges in place. KQ has stopped giving detailed info. What are they scared of?
masukuma
#1220 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2014 7:53:03 AM

the truth is that air travel is not profitable for airlines... worldwide. air travel is great for oil companies and airplane manufacturers but not for airlines. Why? it's competition! the airline industry competes it's profits away.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!