Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages«<34567>»
2 Stocks for life
enyands
#81 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 5:55:51 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Add on top of that WTO in Nairobi have hit a deadlock on a number of issues favouring developing countries like us.
China gave us the sh.10.5bn loan so that we don't raise any issue about unfair practices to nations like us.

What do you expect when wolves are negotiating with lambs.

Africans have to take by force what belongs to Africans. Stop extending begging bowls to our first/second world cousins

Well, who is the fool here?
In general terms, we (Kenya, EAC, Africa) do not believe in R&D. Let's look at farming. We are still using implements used 1,000 years ago. While the Americans are starting to use tractors with GPS on mega-farms, our farmers [with 3 wives & 20 kids] are sub-dividing 10 acre plots into 1 acre plots.

How many engineers does Kenya produce?
How many does China produce? Or India? These were also 3rd world [India still is] in 1963. What about South Korea? Even North Korea?

Can a Kenyan firm assemble [not even manufacture] a cost-effective kabambe mobile phone?

Back to the core topic...

EABL - A solid firm with a pedigree. It sells an ancient product but innovates thanks to support from its parent.

Bamburi - Cement has been produced for millennia but new technologies are changing the game. New products, new types of cement and new applications. Support from extensive R&D conducted by its parent.

*BTW, Equity is changing the game & has decimated BBK & SCBK by being INNOVATIVE. That is what counts not expecting favors just because a firm is 'local' coz that line is old. Look at Kenya's protected sugar producers. The only reason I don't have Equity as a 'lifetime' stock is coz of the uncertain succession.*

Some of us Africans need to travel and see how people out there reason and do things . People are closed minded because they Haven't seen how let's say simple transport system is managed in developed countries hata farming . Tusiende mbali Anza na education system - we are trained to be faithful employees and never innovators or entrepreneurs.most companies that have succeeded have a leaders who have either been educated or mentored by someone outside "kenya". Tufungue macho.
murchr
#82 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 6:21:43 PM

enyands wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Add on top of that WTO in Nairobi have hit a deadlock on a number of issues favouring developing countries like us.
China gave us the sh.10.5bn loan so that we don't raise any issue about unfair practices to nations like us.

Africans have to take by force what belongs to Africans. Stop extending begging bowls to our first/second world cousins

Well, who is the fool here?
In general terms, we (Kenya, EAC, Africa) do not believe in R&D. Let's look at farming. We are still using implements used 1,000 years ago. While the Americans are starting to use tractors with GPS on mega-farms, our farmers [with 3 wives & 20 kids] are sub-dividing 10 acre plots into 1 acre plots.

How many engineers does Kenya produce?
How many does China produce? Or India? These were also 3rd world [India still is] in 1963. What about South Korea? Even North Korea?

Can a Kenyan firm assemble [not even manufacture] a cost-effective kabambe mobile phone?

Back to the core topic...

EABL - A solid firm with a pedigree. It sells an ancient product but innovates thanks to support from its parent.

Bamburi - Cement has been produced for millennia but new technologies are changing the game. New products, new types of cement and new applications. Support from extensive R&D conducted by its parent.

*BTW, Equity is changing the game & has decimated BBK & SCBK by being INNOVATIVE. That is what counts not expecting favors just because a firm is 'local' coz that line is old. Look at Kenya's protected sugar producers. The only reason I don't have Equity as a 'lifetime' stock is coz of the uncertain succession.*

Some of us Africans need to travel and see how people out there reason and do things . People are closed minded because they Haven't seen how let's say simple transport system is managed in developed countries hata farming . Tusiende mbali Anza na education system - we are trained to be faithful employees and never innovators or entrepreneurs.most companies that have succeeded have a leaders who have either been educated or mentored by someone outside "kenya". Tufungue macho.

Very true indeed. We have been raised to not challenge the status quo. Anyway, my 2 stocks tho not for life but for the long-term until the environment changes 1. Safcom - Because the world now revolves around big data and 2. EABL
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ericsson
#83 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 6:36:24 PM

@VituVingiSana
You are going overboard in your statement and sarcasm.
If a large reinsurer is looking at investing in Africa let them come and start from scratch just like KCB,Equity did in Rwanda and Uganda.
KK did in Ethiopia and Uganda.
There are also the local oil companies and the two work to compete for the market.
Let EABL and Keroche compete at the same footing;not Keroche being sabotaged by gava at the expense of EABL.
By the way the following foreign re insurance companies are in operational in Kenya
Ghana Reinsurance
Continental Re from Nigeria
Swiss Re
Munich Reinsurance from Germany
Hannover Re
Africa Re
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#84 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 6:41:15 PM

When an opportunity for an acquisition presents itself jump for the opportunity.
There is no free thing in this world;even in the west the local companies are given preferential treatment compared to foreign owned.

sparkly
#85 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 8:50:04 PM

Othelo wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

I have always wondered why Africa cannot organise themselves and create some serious trading block and development fund!!!

Exactly!

Trade between Africa and the west is heavily tilted in favour of the west. The west buys raw materials (never finished goods) then sells back finished goods.

African products are faced with Tariff and Non tariff barriers in the west.

Intra African trade on mutually beneficial terms can fast track development. e.g. South Sudan to sell oil to Kenya, Kenyan banks to provide development capital in SS.
Life is short. Live passionately.
enyands
#86 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 9:21:38 PM

sparkly wrote:
Othelo wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

I have always wondered why Africa cannot organise themselves and create some serious trading block and development fund!!!

Exactly!

Trade between Africa and the west is heavily tilted in favour of the west. The west buys raw materials (never finished goods) then sells back finished goods.

Intra African trade on mutually beneficial terms can fast track development. e.g. South Sudan to sell oil to Kenya, Kenyan banks to provide development capital in SS.

This is practical written wise ,but on the ground just to let you know the west Will never allow this to happen.kwani where do you think they will sell their finished product if you depend on each other.should someone try that sinister move they will slap you with bans and trade embargos. Ask Gaddafi.he tried to make sure that Africa depends on herself ...they got rid of him very fast. We need people like Tom Sankara and the pan African leaders .
sparkly
#87 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 9:30:13 PM

enyands wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Othelo wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Exactly!

This is practical written wise ,but on the ground just to let you know the west Will never allow this to happen.kwani where do you think they will sell their finished product if you depend on each other.should someone try that sinister move they will slap you with bans and trade embargos. Ask Gaddafi.he tried to make sure that Africa depends on herself ...they got rid of him very fast. We need people like Tom Sankara and the pan African leaders .

It's very possible and its happening. Uganda is now No. 1 destination of Kenyan exports.
Life is short. Live passionately.
VituVingiSana
#88 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:13:44 PM

Ericsson wrote:
@VituVingiSana
You are going overboard in your statement and sarcasm.
Not at all. I am looking forward. Thinking outside the box is free.
If a large reinsurer is looking at investing in Africa let them come and start from scratch
Why should a small or medium or large re-insurer be forced to start from scratch? If they pay a 'market' (or above market) price they can & should buy in. If anything we should be proud that we have built firms that are interesting as takeovers. KenyaRe bought a minority stake in UgandaRe. What if some Ugandans huffed & puffed & said KenyaRe (the foreigner) can't buy shares in UgandaRe?

Look at Equity Bank which managed to raise 11bn in 2008(?) from Helios. Today almost 40% of Equity is foreign owned but has created KENYAN billionaires in the process because FOREIGNERS are paying 'high' prices.

And YOU have the chance to compete AGAINST a foreign buyer for any of my shares. Look at Rea Vipingo where 2 local groups COMPETED against Rea the parent. Whoever paid the most won.

just like KCB,Equity did in Rwanda and Uganda.
Please stop lying to Wazuans. Equity bought out Uganda Microfinance Ltd
https://en.wikipedia.org...ity_Bank_Uganda_Limited

KK did in Ethiopia and Uganda.
Please stop lying to Wazuans. KK bought out some of Shell's petrol stations.
There are also the local oil companies and the two work to compete for the market.
Let EABL and Keroche compete at the same footing;not Keroche being sabotaged by gava at the expense of EABL.
Nonsense. The story goes much further & I explained it in an earlier post. Plus KBL came under Diageo's control when KENYANS refused to fully participate in Rights & Scrips Issues when EABL/KBL was raising funds in the 90s.
By the way the following foreign re insurance companies are in operational in Kenya
Ghana Reinsurance
Continental Re from Nigeria
Swiss Re
Munich Reinsurance from Germany
Hannover Re
Africa Re [I think KenyaRe has shares in it]
Good for them. I hope one of them offers me a huge premium for my KenyaRe. I will tender my shares pap! You can keep yours. Or even better compete against the 'foreigner' for my shares.

ScanGroup - Bharat built up the firm & over time sold 51% to WPP at a great price which made him a billionaire while making many other shareholders millionaires.

CFC/Heritage - Sold to the South Africans making Njonjo, Kiereini, etc millions if not billions. That did not stop Equity from growing.

Personally, I would love to see KK, KenRe, Unga, I&M, [among others] etc 'taken over' for a huge premium. I would cash out and look for other opportunities. Perhaps the proceeds from KK can be invested in Hashi. The proceeds from KenRe into Britam. The proceeds from Unga into Broadway/Festive or Flame Tree. The proceeds from I&M into NIC/DTB/Equity/KCB... I invest on the NSE to make money not push social [& fake patriotic] causes.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#89 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:30:00 PM

@VituVingiSana
I can't argue with you;you think things work perfectly in this world;that is textbook.
What did equity acquire in Rwanda read keenly before replying with emotions.
Did you read this comment before replying
"When an opportunity for an acquisition presents itself jump for the opportunity."

The stake Kenya Re has in Africa Re is inconsequential and not something to write about.
If you are tired of your Kenya Re shares put them in the NSE platform where you bought them not these useless foreigners you keep praising them.
"the problem with an african is that he has taught himself that he can't do anything only the white skin can."

For equity bank I have my own reservations.Incase it goes under what assets are there to hold or sell;
VituVingiSana
#90 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:31:43 PM

sparkly wrote:
Othelo wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Exactly!

Let's be realistic. Kenyan banks are not in SS to invest for the long-term. If you look at the DETAILED information in the SS operations of KCB & Equity, the large profit lines are TRANSACTION fees and FOREIGN EXCHANGE GAINS.

As for the SS oil... Kenya offered a 'path' for SS through Kenya with SS funding the pipeline but they decided to continue using Sudan. An oil pipeline is not a bandia pipe that a bandia plumber can put up. Plus someone has to fund it and SS should have done so but they did not.

Bottomline: Africans don't want to help Africans. It's the reality.

Northern Tanzania is better served by Kenya for many of its goods eg petroleum but... And instead of cooperating with Kenyans, the Tanzanians hate us. It's almost the same in West Africa where most countries hate Nigeria's guts instead of exporting food to Nigeria [which imports basic commodities].

Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#91 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:42:12 PM

Ericsson wrote:
@VituVingiSana
I can't argue with you;you think things work perfectly in this world;that is textbook.
Did I say Equity acquired anything in Rwanda? PLEASE do not misrepresent what I said. Heshimu.
"When an opportunity for an acquisition presents itself jump for the opportunity."

Was this comment posted BEFORE or AFTER the post I replied to?
Regardless, I agree with the comment. If there is an opportunity presents itself at a good price. Jump at it. I like KK at 8. I don't care who [mzungu, mwafrika, mhindi] is selling. And when the right buyer [aka price] comes to buy me out, I will only look for BLACK in my bank account.

The stake Kenya Re has in Africa Re is inconsequential and not something to write about. [It's a start. Sometimes, one buys a few shares then buys more]. So why did KenyaRe buy shares in AfricaRe

If you are tired of your Kenya Re shares put them in the NSE platform where you bought them not these useless foreigners you keep praising them.
I am happy with my KenRe at 22. I want to buy more. Nevertheless, if ANYONE (including you) made me an offer (To paraphrase Don Corleone: Make me an offer I cannot refuse) that I cannot refuse...

"the problem with an african is that he has taught himself that he can't do anything only the white skin can."

Bullshit. This has NOTHING to do with race/creed/color/religion but investing. I invest on the NSE to make money not as a social cause. I don't care if the Germans, Arabs, Chinese, Indians, Brazilians, South Africans or Nigerians offer me a (hefty) premium as long as I get paid in good legal tender.

For equity bank I have my own reservations.Incase it goes under what assets are there to hold or sell;
I have no idea what you mean. Please elaborate.

Ericsson
#92 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:43:05 PM

@VituVingiSana
If for you to make money in the NSE you have to wait for a firm to be taken over then u need to sharpen your skills of investing.
I bought CIC and in less than 16 months the price had already doubled;there was no takeover of the huge premium you are referring to.
Co-op doubled in a year.
VituVingiSana
#93 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:46:04 PM

Ericsson wrote:
@VituVingiSana
If for you to make money in the NSE you have to wait for a firm to be taken over then u need to sharpen your skills of investing.
I bought CIC and in less than 16 months the price had already doubled;there was no takeover of the huge premium you are referring to.
Co-op doubled in a year.

Yes, my skills on investing are deficient. That's why I am here to learn and share but not whine about foreigners taking over local firms.

BTW, good for you on CIC and Co-op. Applause Applause Applause
Ericsson
#94 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 11:04:21 PM

As a start annual reports of any company you have invest on or plan to invest in;take time to go through and read.
business daily .
The quality of business news on our media and local TV stations is wanting;and I repeat totally wanting.
What you see on the likes of CNBC looks like a professor and a lower primary kid on a platform.
The likes of CNBC,Bloomberg,CCTV have offices and representatives in Kenya to scout for them news that they relay back to investors in their home countries.The news would help them in making wise decisions when investing here and therefore maximise the gain/profit they will make.
VituVingiSana
#95 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 11:07:48 PM

Ericsson wrote:
As a start annual reports of any company you have invest on or plan to invest in;take time to go through and read.
business daily .
The quality of business news on our media and local TV stations is wanting;and I repeat totally wanting.
What you see on the likes of CNBC looks like a professor and a lower primary kid on a platform.
The likes of CNBC,Bloomberg,CCTV have offices and representatives in Kenya to scout for them news that they relay back to investors in their home countries.The news would help them in making wise decisions when investing here and therefore maximise the gain/profit they will make.

Yes, I will take the time to go through the Annual Reports. Thank you for that sage advice.
Ericsson
#96 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 11:14:44 PM

@VituVingiSana
Did I say Equity acquired anything in Rwanda? PLEASE do not misrepresent what I said. Heshimu.

Was this comment posted BEFORE or AFTER the post I replied to?
The post came before you replied yours.
Regardless, I agree with the comment. If there is an opportunity presents itself at a good price. Jump at it. I like KK at 8. I don't care who [mzungu, mwafrika, mhindi] is selling. And when the right buyer [aka price] comes to buy me out, I will only look for BLACK in my bank account.

The stake Kenya Re has in Africa Re is inconsequential and not something to write about. [It's a start. Sometimes, one buys a few shares then buys more]. So why did KenyaRe buy shares in AfricaRe
Kenya Re bought the stake when it was 100% government and when Africa Re was being setup by member states.All countries that had a national re insurer chipped in some money.

I am happy with my KenRe at 22. I want to buy more. Nevertheless, if ANYONE (including you) made me an offer (To paraphrase Don Corleone: Make me an offer I cannot refuse) that I cannot refuse...

Bullshit. This has NOTHING to do with race/creed/color/religion but investing. I invest on the NSE to make money not as a social cause. I don't care if the Germans, Arabs, Chinese, Indians, Brazilians, South Africans or Nigerians offer me a (hefty) premium as long as I get paid in good legal tender.

For equity bank I have my own reservations. I have no idea what you mean. Please elaborate.
Equity bank owns no assets not any building ,ATM etc.
enyands
#97 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:07:04 AM

Ericsson wrote:
@VituVingiSana
Co-op doubled in a year.

Just to correct you coop didn't double in a year. It took coop 6 years to double. Unless you are talking of a different coop .
Ericsson
#98 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 9:10:39 AM

@Enyands
In the beginning of 2012 Co-op was at 12.I bought the share at that price.
During the announcement of full year results they issued a dividend and bonus of 1:5.At the end of the 1 year period the counter was trading at 20 inclusive of the bonus.
Do the maths and tell me whether it's not a doubling.
enyands
#99 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 11:17:06 AM

Ericsson wrote:
@Enyands
During the announcement of full year results they issued a dividend and bonus of 1:5.At the end of the 1 year period the counter was trading at 20 inclusive of the bonus.

Brother Ericsson I understand where you are coming from. I had missed my math kidogo and forgot the bonus I had received during that time .thanks for reminding me .though the rate of share rise ya coop in comparison to other banks is the least .hata some Saccos are doing better than it .example on that period I was contemplating between buying diamond trust bank which was at 40 by and this syndicated share called coop shares.i chose coop because we were coerced as a staff into it because of potential undersubscription.i regret why I didn't follow my guts by taking diamond which as we talk right now is doing 198 down 8yrs.
It's OK I'll go by your theory of doubling for now .nimekubali yaiishe
VituVingiSana
#100 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 11:49:01 AM

Ericsson wrote:
@Enyands

I am trying without success to post a graph from myStocks for DTB vs Coop vs Equity vs Centum from 2 Jan 2012 to 18 Dec 2015 .

At various times I have held all 4 in my portfolio but Centum has done the best followed by Equity then DTB. Coop is lagging the field during this timeframe.

As @enyands says, there have been some spectacular gains for DTB during this time frame + a cheap Rights Issue to give it some kick!

https://live.mystocks.co...ty,icdc;corp;w=628;lgnd

From 2 Jan 2012 to 31 Dec 2012

https://live.mystocks.co...ty,icdc;corp;w=628;lgnd

DTB & Equity beat out Coop. Centum trails Coop.