wazua Fri, Jun 21, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

12 Pages«<23456>»
2 Stocks for life
dunkang
#61 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 4:59:38 AM

Pesa Nane wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Final results are out and these are the Wazua favorites...

STOCK VOTES (No.)
Safaricom - 8
KCB - 7
Bamburi - 5
Equity - 4
EABL - 4

Kenya Power - 3
NSE - 3
KQ - 3

Others : Mumias(2), Jubilee (2), BAT (2), Kenol (1), CIC (1), BBK (1), EAGAADS (1), WTK (1), Kenya Re (1), Unga (1), SCB(1), Centum (1), HFC(1)

Total Votes = 53

Go Forth, buy Safaricom, KCB, Bamburi, Equity, EABL.

@Sparkly, add the day's prices we may want to review performance years down the line

I think you all got the "survey" wrong. Its not about prices today vs price down the line, its about lifetime. Only dividend and sustainability matters here.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

VituVingiSana
#62 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 9:47:54 AM

dunkang wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
sparkly wrote:

STOCK VOTES (No.)
Safaricom - 8
KCB - 7
Bamburi - 5
Equity - 4
EABL - 4

Kenya Power - 3
NSE - 3
KQ - 3

Others : Mumias(2), Jubilee (2), BAT (2), Kenol (1), CIC (1), BBK (1), EAGAADS (1), WTK (1), Kenya Re (1), Unga (1), SCB(1), Centum (1), HFC(1)

Total Votes = 53

@Sparkly, add the day's prices we may want to review performance years down the line

I think you all got the "survey" wrong. Its not about prices today vs price down the line, its about lifetime. Only dividend and sustainability matters here.

Bingo.
That's why I chose EABL & Bamburi. They are in industries (& sell products) that have been around for centuries. And likely to be around for my lifetime. They already pay decent dividends [with hiccups at times] & can generate the cash-flow to pay dividends, under normal circumstances, in the future.
The management is seconded from large & experienced parents & not based on 'personality' cults.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Pesa Nane
#63 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 11:10:50 AM

dunkang wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
sparkly wrote:

STOCK VOTES (No.)
Safaricom - 8
KCB - 7
Bamburi - 5
Equity - 4
EABL - 4

Kenya Power - 3
NSE - 3
KQ - 3

Total Votes = 53

Any company that is not growing, value not increasing, capital gains are nil or negative is not worth having in the lifetime portfolio. Kama its only for a div., buy a 30 year bond!
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
sparkly
#64 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 11:29:32 AM

Pesa Nane wrote:
dunkang wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
sparkly wrote:

STOCK VOTES (No.)
Safaricom - 8
KCB - 7
Bamburi - 5
Equity - 4
EABL - 4

Kenya Power - 3
NSE - 3
KQ - 3

Total Votes = 53

Any company that is not growing, value not increasing, capital gains are nil or negative is not worth having in the lifetime portfolio. Kama its only for a div., buy a 30 year bond!

@Pesa Nane I see you have decided to reset the question and mark for yourself.

Shall we contribute to the survey? thank you.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Spikes
#65 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 12:48:04 PM

People are more greedy for capital gains than dividends. Reason why you are seeing shocking answers!#@
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
sparkly
#66 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 1:43:22 PM

Spikes wrote:
People are more greedy for capital gains than dividends. Reason why you are seeing shocking answers!#@

Good capital gains follow good dividend payments.

Value wins over growth any time.
VituVingiSana
#67 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 6:50:43 PM

sparkly wrote:
Spikes wrote:

Good capital gains follow good dividend payments.

Value wins over growth any time.

Applause Applause Applause
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#68 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 7:00:58 PM

EABL is a good counter but the $250mn debt by Diageo weighs heavily on the counter till they are now selling assets to prop the results.
In that respect I would put Kenya Re instead.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#69 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 7:58:38 PM

Ericsson wrote:
EABL is a good counter but the $250mn debt by Diageo weighs heavily on the counter till they are now selling assets to prop the results.
In that respect I would put Kenya Re instead.

I was against the sale of 20% of TBL for 1/3 what they bought back 20% of KBL for! That said, the entire debt could be repaid in 5 years if EABL reduced the dividend payout. For a share I want to hold for a lifetime... I can afford a 5-year drought.

*I can't fault you on KenRe but with GoK's 60% ownership, I would not sleep at night if I could not sell. I like the current CEO but who knows whose relative can be made the new CEO*
Ericsson
#70 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 8:08:48 PM

VituVingi
GOK ownership also has positive aspects to a company where it holds stakes not only negative.
Safaricom which is doing well also has a bigger GOK ownership than KCB.
Ericsson
#71 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 8:13:45 PM

The reason why I included Kenya Re is that despite the bearish run in the NSE it has defied all odds and given a return in excess of 25%.
Nobody expected and to quotes your concern Gok ownership
VituVingiSana
#72 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 9:12:41 PM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingi
GOK ownership also has positive aspects to a company where it holds stakes not only negative.

The stake/ownership is less relevant than control. Vodafone controls Safaricom. GoK controls KenRe. Same for KenGen or KPLC.
KCB - I think GoK has lots of influence but not absolute control.
NBK - GoK (& NSSF) controls it
EAPCC - Despite LaFarge's significant stake, GoK has control.

Overall, I'd rather NOT have GoK controlling a firm I am invested in.

* I have KenRe coz of its substantial cash & near cash [about 16/-], the CEO [who I admit I like & seems a serious chap] and the nature of the business [WB likes Reinsurance for the long-term] BUT that does not make it into my "let me buy and forget it until I turn 65" list because of GoK's control*
guru267
#73 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 11:49:31 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingi

The stake/ownership is less relevant than control. Vodafone controls Safaricom. GoK controls KenRe. Same for KenGen or KPLC.
KCB - I think GoK has lots of influence but not absolute control.
NBK - GoK (& NSSF) controls it
EAPCC - Despite LaFarge's significant stake, GoK has control.

Overall, I'd rather NOT have GoK controlling a firm I am invested in.

* I have KenRe coz of its substantial cash & near cash [about 16/-], the CEO [who I admit I like & seems a serious chap] and the nature of the business [WB likes Reinsurance for the long-term] BUT that does not make it into my "let me buy and forget it until I turn 65" list because of GoK's control*

GOK should divest 51% to a large re insurer looking for in roads into Africa and prepare for the removal of all concessions to KenRe by the year 2020.
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
Elephant Man
#74 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:29:00 PM

@guru267 GOK earlier this year increased the rate of cessions to KenRe to 20% and extended them for another 5 years (so I guess to end in early 2020). By then, if serikali is still broke, they may consider some asset disposals! I anticipate a small bonus and/or increased dividend for year ending 2015.
Ericsson
#75 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:21:41 PM

@guru267
Lare re insurer looking for in roads into Africa.Why sell our good performing companies to foreigners whose only intent will be to make money and repatriate the profits to their mother countries leaving us here poor.
Lets build our own world class institutions;if further divestment needed wacha ifanywe kwa NSE we buy the company.
Buy Kenya build Kenya.
Look at what Diageo did to EABL with the sh.20bn loan;who is benefitting.
Bamburi and BAT will always give hefty dividends to the benefit of the parent companies who own more than 50%;what is left for us is peanuts yet the money is being made here
Ericsson
#76 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:29:53 PM

Add on top of that WTO in Nairobi have hit a deadlock on a number of issues favouring developing countries like us.
China gave us the sh.10.5bn loan so that we don't raise any issue about unfair practices to nations like us.
sparkly
#77 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:52:03 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Add on top of that WTO in Nairobi have hit a deadlock on a number of issues favouring developing countries like us.
China gave us the sh.10.5bn loan so that we don't raise any issue about unfair practices to nations like us.

What do you expect when wolves are negotiating with lambs.

Africans have to take by force what belongs to Africans. Stop extending begging bowls to our first/second world cousins
Othelo
#78 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:56:26 PM

sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Africans have to take by force what belongs to Africans. Stop extending begging bowls to our first/second world cousins

I have always wondered why Africa cannot organise themselves and create some serious trading block and development fund!!!
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
VituVingiSana
#79 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 3:02:38 PM

Ericsson wrote:
@guru267
Lare re insurer looking for in roads into Africa.Why sell our good performing companies to foreigners whose only intent will be to make money and repatriate the profits to their mother countries leaving us here poor.
Lets build our own world class institutions;if further divestment needed wacha ifanywe kwa NSE we buy the company.
Buy Kenya build Kenya.
Look at what Diageo did to EABL with the sh.20bn loan;who is benefitting.
Bamburi and BAT will always give hefty dividends to the benefit of the parent companies who own more than 50%;what is left for us is peanuts yet the money is being made here

@Ericsson - I agree.
- That's why Tanzania doesn't want Kenyan firms so they can build local firms. - And Rwanda should kick out all KE firms including Equity & KCB so they can build up their local firms.
- Uganda should also kick out KK.
- Then there's South Sudan who should kick out all Kenyan firms so they can promote their own institutions!
- Ethiopia should not allow any Kenyan firms in the country either and should continue focusing on building up local capacity.

In fact ALL countries should STOP investing in other countries & build up their own 'global' firms. Over time, they should even stop trading with each other.

*Sarcasm for those who do not get it. Investment & globalization create wealth. Claiming 'repatriation' of profits is bullshit coz they INVEST (where were Kenyans when they were investing?) to make a PROFIT which they should be allowed to use in ANY manner they want. If things were so good then why aren't more KENYANS investing in local firms instead of real estate, real estate, real estate*
VituVingiSana
#80 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 5:10:24 PM

sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Well, who is the fool here?
In general terms, we (Kenya, EAC, Africa) do not believe in R&D. Let's look at farming. We are still using implements used 1,000 years ago. While the Americans are starting to use tractors with GPS on mega-farms, our farmers [with 3 wives & 20 kids] are sub-dividing 10 acre plots into 1 acre plots.

How many engineers does Kenya produce?
How many does China produce? Or India? These were also 3rd world [India still is] in 1963. What about South Korea? Even North Korea?

Can a Kenyan firm assemble [not even manufacture] a cost-effective kabambe mobile phone?

Back to the core topic...

EABL - A solid firm with a pedigree. It sells an ancient product but innovates thanks to support from its parent.

Bamburi - Cement has been produced for millennia but new technologies are changing the game. New products, new types of cement and new applications. Support from extensive R&D conducted by its parent.

*BTW, Equity is changing the game & has decimated BBK & SCBK by being INNOVATIVE. That is what counts not expecting favors just because a firm is 'local' coz that line is old. Look at Kenya's protected sugar producers. The only reason I don't have Equity as a 'lifetime' stock is coz of the uncertain succession.*