5 Pages«<2345>
Cyber Security
ChessMaster
#61 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:09:41 AM

Phaoro
#62 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 4:23:12 PM

tycho wrote:
What are we securing?

Privacy? No. Privacy has ended. Property? Everything is visible and traceable, and abundant.

The 'thing' that will need security is the network system. Networks will need to be secured from 'entropy' and other 'organic' afflictions.

I think Cyber security is entering into new grounds.

Securing data and information.
Phaoro
#63 Posted : Friday, March 01, 2013 4:25:27 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
Let's get serious.Android is a magnet for mobile malware.Couple that with mobile money and we've got a recipe for disaster.Solutions?

write better secure code among other things.
ChessMaster
#64 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 8:31:07 AM

@Phaoro - What data and information are we securing?To understand that is the beginning of solving this problem. Even if we write better secure code(wonder why it wasn't done in the first place),as long as people can gain root access&jailbreak phones its a losing battle.It might not be easy and not everyone wants to do it but its still a huge risk.
Uncertainty is certain.Let go
tom_boy
#65 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 12:20:28 PM

Phaoro wrote:
tycho wrote:
What are we securing?

Privacy? No. Privacy has ended. Property? Everything is visible and traceable, and abundant.

The 'thing' that will need security is the network system. Networks will need to be secured from 'entropy' and other 'organic' afflictions.

Damn right @tycho, privacy ended a long time ago. And it is about to get worse. We know about how the 'internet' collects personal data and sells to third parties for targeted advertising. Now we have televisions that will spy on you right inside your house http://tinyurl.com/bko5rdp

This story on how supermarkets make use of the data you give them when you apply for loyalty cards was also quite interesting. Its amazing how valuable raw data can be in the right hands. http://vigilantcitizen.c...nies-learn-your-secrets/
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
tycho
#66 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 11:26:33 PM

What happens when the suspect knows that Mr. Sherlock Holmes is able to profile a person by looking at seemingly unimportant data?

Or take the case where one is aware that her TV is spying on her? Or that the local store is programming her needs?

In all these cases I see people trying to be less and less predictable, and organizations getting into more scrutiny.

In the end, all this cyber activity is turning out to be the real security that we've been yearning for.

Organizations will need to be more innovative and unintrusive in order to widen their markets.

The idea of producers versus consumers can no longer stand. And information will be used to increase dynamism and flexibility.
ChessMaster
#67 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 12:19:52 PM

tom_boy wrote:
Phaoro wrote:
tycho wrote:
What are we securing?

Damn right @tycho, privacy ended a long time ago. And it is about to get worse. We know about how the 'internet' collects personal data and sells to third parties for targeted advertising. Now we have televisions that will spy on you right inside your house http://tinyurl.com/bko5rdp

This story on how supermarkets make use of the data you give them when you apply for loyalty cards was also quite interesting. Its amazing how valuable raw data can be in the right hands. http://vigilantcitizen.c...nies-learn-your-secrets

Its the information age and data is the currency.
quicksand
#68 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 12:41:35 PM

tycho wrote:
What happens when the suspect knows that Mr. Sherlock Holmes is able to profile a person by looking at seemingly unimportant data?

Or take the case where one is aware that her TV is spying on her? Or that the local store is programming her needs?

In all these cases I see people trying to be less and less predictable, and organizations getting into more scrutiny.

In the end, all this cyber activity is turning out to be the real security that we've been yearning for.

Organizations will need to be more innovative and unintrusive in order to widen their markets.

The idea of producers versus consumers can no longer stand. And information will be used to increase dynamism and flexibility.

The suspect becomes Prof. Moriarty smile smile ..on a serious note though, you can beat the watchers if you are so inclined and are a little tech savvy ...there are anonymizers, infrastructure like TOR, using encryption ..like pgp or gpg which is free, not subscribing to social media, not using debit or credit cards etc etc. But it is all so tedious, and for what? I am not engaged in criminal activity hence I find the amount of work required to stay partially hidden is not worth it. I say partially hidden because there are things which are impossible to do unless you reveal your identity. For instance, two western governments have my fingerprints and retina patterns on a computer cause I needed to travel there for business. Banks and other corporations have been known to share customer information with subsidiaries and partners.
There is no uncrossing the Rubicon, for the masses at least. The brits loudly complained about Google streetview sometime back ..so google switched off, they loudly complained again, it was brought back. Most systems have just data, volumes of it. Consumers of it get drowned in the flood. Its why even advanced countries have crime and disorder. More worrying would be systems developing knowledge. They would be sentient, that is scary. I think Google and IBM are already here. The rest want to sell you stuff.
Policy makers look to computer security to control crime, they havent succeeded much. That is because they are looking in the wrong place, looking at a tiny corner of a very large picture. Smart establishments look after the human being, mind, body, environment ...for example the scandinavian countries, that is why it is so calm over there.
tycho
#69 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 3:43:46 PM

@quicksand, sentient systems seem to be the 'in thing'. They are unstoppable.

But then you are right. We need to focus on the human being.

Somehow, humans will be more free. How will societies be structured? I believe these are some of the questions we need to answer.
quicksand
#70 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 5:13:02 PM

tycho wrote:

Somehow, humans will be more free. How will societies be structured? I believe these are some of the questions we need to answer.

Greed is our major problem. And tribalism, we are so plagued by it we are now incapable of introspection. The disease set in soon after 1963. We need a disciplinarian, like Kagame.
tycho
#71 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 5:34:05 PM

quicksand wrote:
tycho wrote:

Greed is our major problem. And tribalism, we are so plagued by it we are now incapable of introspection. The disease set in soon after 1963. We need a disciplinarian, like Kagame.

An iron rod. Hahaha. Such a system can be created. It can be interactive, Democratic, and benevolent.

It will create itself.

Tribalism is coming to an end.
quicksand
#72 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 5:45:46 PM

tycho wrote:
quicksand wrote:
tycho wrote:

An iron rod. Hahaha. Such a system can be created. It can be interactive, Democratic, and benevolent.

It will create itself.

Tribalism is coming to an end.

it will not end but it will be split to smaller pockets of influence....this will be approximately 10 years from now, when scions from the 2 premier political families run their political course and there is no one else to take over. I am glad sons of Moi and Kibaki are unable or unwilling to assume national profiles. We need leaders who rise on pure hardwork and not the heft of tall relatives.
quicksand
#73 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 6:01:27 PM

Oiii ..thread mutating Sad ....back to networks and things ...I think the time has come to set up 'system havens', much like tax havens ...in independent territories where governments cant subpoena companies to produce it. Then cloud data can be stored in servers located in these places.
tycho
#74 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 8:44:41 PM

quicksand wrote:
Oiii ..thread mutating Sad ....back to networks and things ...I think the time has come to set up 'system havens', much like tax havens ...in independent territories where governments cant subpoena companies to produce it. Then cloud data can be stored in servers located in these places.

Good idea.
techboy
#75 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:17:40 PM

Oh .i just feel like hacking the cfc online trading system (activelite) . All i need is one public ip address and wireshark software to do some serious sniffing of password. Who want to beat me to that first ?
ChessMaster
#76 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:54:21 PM

techboy wrote:
Oh .i just feel like hacking the cfc online trading system (activelite) . All i need is one public ip address and wireshark software to do some serious sniffing of password. Who want to beat me to that first ?

At times you simply amaze me
quicksand
#77 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 11:03:21 PM

techboy wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly ....mister you have got jokes. How anonymous do you think you are? Web servers log the IPs of originators, other kinds of servers running SIP (session protocols) tie your mobile phone number to the GSM router (called the sgsn) session ..directly linking your phone number to IP addresses accessed. Please do not be stupid and proceed with this foolhardy idea. Not that you would get anywhere ...many market routers have a baseline 128 bit encryption standard ...going all the way to 1024 bit ....you can crack encryption with your eyes? unless you are planning to physically break into a facility and install your sniffer before the outgoing network router. You dont know what you are talking about dude. Even a normal network admin would catch you with his eyes closed.
ChessMaster
#78 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:49:14 PM

digitek1
#79 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 7:56:48 PM

techboy wrote:

I may be wrong..but then I could be right
digitek1
#80 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:00:36 PM

techboy wrote:

Applause Applause we need an active hacking underground if we are truly to become the silicon Savannah
I may be wrong..but then I could be right