wazua Mon, Jun 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123
Scholarships for poor children -
gathinga
#41 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:24:56 PM

Ric dees wrote:
I know one senior VP in Cisco US and obviously we cannot imagine she would find a similar challenge in Kenya, but recently when we were in Kenya she had presented a very workable project to the stakeholders which she was to oversee, but they all tended to shy away without any concrete reasons...

Secondly..i know a doctorate friend of mine who was headhunted from here to establish a creative writing center, the first of it's kind in the region in one of the private universities back home, quit their job came home, now they are pulling out of that project..(bollocks).

Lastly i met someone who hat put together a proposal, together with a consortium of investors from Europe to come and transform Webuye paper mill into a bio - facility, a project this consortium had embarked on across the world with outstanding results..well you all know our gova!!!

My observation is, it's true the challenge may not exist but when the challenge is brought in then the institutions tend to back down!! Are we scared of re-inventing the wheel or is it selfish motives??? Your thoughts please??

You have to agree with @Ric. However, I fault these people in one front. You should not expect the same enviroment which you are used to, back home. If you are used to formal and objective process of apprasiing and approving proposals, that wont happen here. One has to stay on to change the mindset. I admire the following guys who came in and persisted in diffucult circumstances.

1. Dr. Cyrus Njiru PS
2. Dr. Joyce Nyamweya; formwer PS Directorate of Public service
3. Robert Hunja; former Director of Public Porcurement Authority

http://pipl.com/directory/people/Robert/Hunja
http://www.irc.nl/page/7616
tony stark
#42 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:44:35 PM

gathinga wrote:

Interesting issue on brain drain. Professor Calestous Juma from Harvard University shed some light on this during one of his lectures at the mindspeak club.

The good thing about his take on the issue was it came from him as part of his lecture and was not an answer to some question. So its likely to be from the heart.

Apparently, the biggest reason why brainy and 'thomed' chaps refuse to come home has nothing to do with money, pay, its all bout respect.

He gave an example of himself. He is doing stuff with KCA University and Multimedia University in Kisumu. Since they are involving him at a fairly high level, he feels they respect him, even though they dont pay, and therefore is more committed. He therefore splits his time between KCA and the paying harvard job.

Another example he gave was Ngugi Wathiongo. The guy came home as promised after Kanu was removed from power. He intended to start projects in literature and thespian education. The humiliation he underwent put paid to those dreams. He was more humiliated by the rape of his wife than by being detained by Moi...

I think respect is an issue.

What the diaspora keep forgetting is that the people they left behind formed a network. A network of engineers, lawyers etc and those networks have to feed each other. So the new up start who want to revolutionize things back home has to break in to the networks or go through this networks.
And please don't try and think those networks don't exist in the west. Those succeeding in the west are using the networks they cultivated there to succeed! Why should it be different here!
But i do agree we have a horrible heirachy that stifles progress.