wazua Mon, Jul 1, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<12345>
WILL YOU VOTE FOR THE PROPOSED DRAFT CONSTITUTION?
kadonye
#41 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:26:02 AM

@FUNDAAH, i didnt say i'm voting no!I need to read n discuss it first....That Zambian article shows us how fake our journalists are.They feed people with lies that their country is the worst and try to paint worse doing countries 'clean'.did u notice how they've overrated our politicians!We all know why no amendment passed, coz they played politics with the draft.And 4 the religious leaders, we know they aren't happy and want us to vote NO.
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
Nancy the insurer
#42 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:38:44 AM

I hate making my first post on this forum when annoyed

I find it amazing that there are some people who can say NO when offered a piece of bread BECAUSE they want the whole farm!

I am watching some guys on K24 all wide eyed and obviously lost on this Kadhi and Bill of rights. They look as crazy as Osama looks to me.

For those who say NO

do you still want to be clobbered by cops who ask you for kitu kidogo?
do you still want impunity?
do you still want a country who's laws are made during a kamukunji?

There is nothing worse than someone who wants to continue with the status quo. We call them a...holes where I come from.

It is time to move on.

If you really want change, then let us have christian churches that condemn a woman like Dr, Prophet, Hon, Wanjiru who obviously rigged an election.

Let me hear church leaders say NO to men who leave their wives and families for ndogo ndogos.

In the meantime, I will vote YES.

Next we shall ask these fake churches to pay taxes. Maybe that is what they are afraid of.
It is wrong for mods to give out wazua member IP addresses. This is war!
Fundaah
#43 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:45:41 AM

Kadonye...

for the 'undecideds'and 'not to register' as voters ...I've put them as no.... with assumption of 'if the referendum was done NOW'...

Also the Zambian Journalist may be wrong in some aspects...but my disclaimer was
'it is always greener on the other side of the fence'...his perceptions are however what Africa and the world feels about Kenya.and the Draft constitution

see also
http://news.yahoo.com/s/...aconstitutionparliament

White House praises Kenya constitution move
Chicago Fri Apr 2, 7:26 pm ET
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The White House Friday welcomed the Kenyan parliament's approval of a new draft constitution, hoping for a "promising new chapter" for a country in which US President Barack Obama has family roots.

"We are encouraged by the strong statements made by President (Mwai) Kibaki and Prime Minister (Raila) Odinga in support of the draft," said White House press secretary Robert Gibbs in a statement.

"A unified effort to see this important reform element through can help to turn the page to a promising new chapter of Kenyan history.

"We urge all Kenyans to focus on the future of their nation and to unify in support of a peaceful and credible referendum and electoral process."

Kenyan lawmakers approved the new draft constitution on Thursday, introducing key changes to the country's basic law, which will be submitted to a referendum later this year.

Enacting a new constitution was one of the reforms called for under a power-sharing deal between Kibaki and former opposition chief Odinga after the country's post-election unrest two years ago.

The draft proposes the creation of a Senate and of a Supreme Court. It also gives the new bicameral National Assembly authority to impeach the president.

Obama, whose late father was Kenyan, is closely followed in Kenya, and his election as America's first black president was widely celebrated there.

Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
poundfoolish
#44 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:47:02 AM

@Africanized..

Yenyewe first things first..... this leaders need to go

On Kadhis courts.. dont this fellows understand Kenya at Independence was made up of two... three countries.. the British colony, the sultanate of Oman's Island and hinterland(the coastal strip) and the Somalia region..North Eastern.

If anything they Kadhis courts made their way into the constitution cos at that point the inhabitants and owners of the strip and island felt they would be ignored or over ran if they just joined 'Kenya' fwaaa as a whole and thus insisted on some constitutional checks..e.g Kadhis courts, otherwise that area would have been a 'Zanzibar' of sorts or a djibouti/eritrea..

sasa unaona tumeanza hiyo uchokozi.. and its our spritual leaders at the forefront..misinformed vanguards...nktest!!!! all because they were misled us in 2005, they think this an opportunity to gain relevance..

With the heavy weight politicians silent on the matter.. i wouldnt be surprised to learn of official secession letters from the Omanis, Owners of the Island and Strip..

Otherwise next Easter prepare to get Visas and Passports to go to Mombasa..
Jacy26
#45 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:22:20 AM

Mine is a resounding NO.
If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love - Maya Angelou
Jaina
#46 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:54:51 AM

If what happened in parliament is what is being refered as "pride of Africa" by the Zambian, then we have a big problem in Africa.

I dont see the point in voting like i have said previously. Reason, why vote when we already know the outcome?. Wheather Njue & Co. climb the mountain with NO,..its all in Vain. In a few months time there will be a new constitution, wheather you and your entire clan vote NO or not.

The referendum will only be legitimizing the process. And rest you have forgotten; in 2005 the Chief Manager a.k.a Kibaki voted NO! with Orange brigade. while the rest of his clan & tribe'smen voted Banana. @ INTEL can expound on this.

This time round all politicians who matter are in the YES badwargon and i dont see the damn thing failing to go through. Even if it means declaring the outcome at night.
nostoppingthis
#47 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:14:13 AM

Wa_ithaka wrote:
Idiocy of the highest kind to vote "No" on just one issue even when it has zero or no effect on you.
I don't like the Kadhi courts (btw I'm surprised the churches have not boycotted the current katiba given Cathy is already in there), but after 20yrs, Ksh20bn+ spend, we have a katiba that is 95% better than the current and really we can't stay rooted to one spot like children. Need to move fwd...

Yes from me

you seem not to be informed that the Kadhi's courts in the proposed constitution is worse than what we currently have....Shame on you
Wa_ithaka
#48 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:21:11 AM

Ngeff-ngeff post both clauses from old and new we compare otherwise wasa urongo
The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
nostoppingthis
#49 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:21:51 AM

kadonye wrote:
@FUNDAAH, i didnt say i'm voting no!I need to read n discuss it first....That Zambian article shows us how fake our journalists are.They feed people with lies that their country is the worst and try to paint worse doing countries 'clean'.did u notice how they've overrated our politicians!We all know why no amendment passed, coz they played politics with the draft.And 4 the religious leaders, we know they aren't happy and want us to vote NO.

The central MPs rukad the RV MPs for the amendment they considered so dear (after rejecting it in Naivasha because it was an ODM proposal)...i'm sure the trust is lost
nostoppingthis
#50 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:24:04 AM

@ Wa_ithaka...I asked you to read my earlier thread on Kadhi's courts. The muslims have done you in since we vote by tribal blocs as they vote as a religion
Nancy the insurer
#51 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:26:11 AM

[/quote]
you seem not to be informed that the Kadhi's courts in the proposed constitution is worse than what we currently have....Shame on you [/quote]

Can you please explain in english and without quoting a bible verse what you mean?

I heard that on k24 today...no one explained.
nostoppingthis
#52 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:36:50 AM

@ Wa_ithaka, i see this proposed constitution going through...watu wa "Yes" (including the "no" champion 2005) wanakaa ni wengi round-i this one....
nostoppingthis
#53 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:40:47 AM

@ Nancy...http://www.wazua.co.ke/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=6270&p=2#post71871.
The clause about "state and religion" has for the first time been removed from a proposed constitution.
Your tax will be paying for the running of the kadhi's courts even if hautahukumiwa huko...it is open for them to demand state funding (including trips to Mecca)
Nancy the insurer
#54 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:56:11 AM

nostoppingthis wrote:
@ Nancy...http://www.wazua.co.ke/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=6270&p=2#post71871.
The clause about "state and religion" has for the first time been removed from a proposed constitution.
Your tax will be paying for the running of the kadhi's courts even if hautahukumiwa huko...it is open for them to demand state funding (including trips to Mecca)

That is why it is important to stop listening to the unknowledgeable.

So what is so different now?

If you did not know this, you are paying for each and every court in Kenya right now. That includes the Kadhis.

In short, you are currently paying for the court right now.

This other assertion of the "first time" is crazy. I was in Bomas, it was there. Unless you want to say that your priests did not tell you the truth then. I wonder what else is new.

If you are really honest, why don't you allow your church, priest or prophet pay taxes like every other Kenyan business?
Noble
#55 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:02:41 PM

Here is the difference.

Current

66. Kadhis' Courts.
1. There shall be a Chief Kadhi and such number, not being less than three, of other Kadhis as may be pro- scribed by or under an Act of Parliament.
2. A person shall not be qualified to be appointed to hold or act in the office of Kadhi unless-
a. he professes the Muslim religion; and
b. he possesses such knowledge of the Muslim law applicable to any sect or sects of Muslims as qualifies him, in the opinion of the Judicial Service Commission, to hold a Kadhi's court.
3. Without prejudice to section 65 (1), there shall be such subordinate courts held by Kadhis as Parliament may establish and each Kadhi's court shall, subject to this Con stitution, have such jurisdiction and powers as may be conferred on it by any law.
4. The Chief Kadhi and the other Kadhis, or the Chief Kadhi and such of the other Kadhis (not being less than three in number) as may be prescribed by or under an Act of Parliament, shall each be empowered to hold a Kadhi's court having jurisdiction within the former Protectorate or within such part of the former Protectorate as may be so prescribed: Provided that no part of the former Protectorate shall be outside the jurisdiction of some Kadhi's court.
5. The jurisdiction of a Kadhi's court shall extend to the determination of questions of Muslim law relating to per- sonal status, marriage, divorcc or inheritance in proceedings in which all the parties profess the Muslim religion

Draft
Kadhis’ Courts

203. (1) There shall be a Chief Kadhi and such number, not being fewer than three, of
other Kadhis as may be prescribed by or under an Act of Parliament.
(2) A person shall not be qualified to be appointed to hold or act in the office of
Kadhi unless the person—
(a) professes the Muslim religion; and
(b) possesses such knowledge of the Muslim law applicable to any
sects of Muslims as qualifies that person, in the opinion of the
Judicial Service Commission, to hold a Kadhi’s court.
(3) Without prejudice to Article 202, there shall be such subordinate courts
held by Kadhis as Parliament may establish and each Kadhi’s court
shall, subject to this Constitution, have such jurisdiction and powers as
may be conferred on it by law.
(4) The Chief Kadhi and the other Kadhis, or the Chief Kadhi and such of
the other Kadhis (not being fewer than three in number) as may be
prescribed by or under an Act of Parliament, shall each be empowered
to hold a Kadhi’s court having jurisdiction within Kenya.(6) The jurisdiction of a Kadhi’s court shall be limited to the determination
of questions of Muslim law relating to personal status, marriage, divorce
or inheritance in proceedings in which all the parties profess the Muslim
religion and submit to the jurisdiction of the Kadhi’s courts.
Wa_ithaka
#56 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:10:00 PM

Nostoppingyou- I can see you've read the book ignorance cover to cover. Ati taxpayers will pay for hajji? Do u believe that sit?
The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
Nancy the insurer
#57 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:13:52 PM

I think you have just shown why the muslims were scared. You guys are amazing.

So, you will be ok if all muslims were relegated to the protectorate area.

why then not go majimbo all the way?

lets have the kadhis court in the protectorate area and leave the rest of the country to the "holy" christians.

aiii yawa!

Please guys, vote No and still have the Kadhis court. Vote Yes and still have a Kadhis court.

In short, you are speaking in tongues that I can't understand.
Magigi
#58 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:22:21 PM

...Captain hajasema kitu....?
Wendz
#59 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:31:58 PM

People, define FORMER PROTECTORATE? FORMER PROTECTORATE was not the coast region.... to my understanding, KENYA was the PROTECTORATE........... and even if it was the coast region, does it mean that muslims do not have the right to own and reside in any other part of the country except the coastal strip?

I am not even sure of what we are arguing about here.... so, what is the actual danger of having kadhi courts in the constitution? if we feel that another religion should not be treated "uniquely" then why cant the Christians come up with their courts and i will be more than glad to vote for them to be entrenched in the constitution? Its like stopping a goat from eating "miriyo ndikahuhite" and you are not going to eat them!!!!
poundfoolish
#60 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 1:06:01 PM

@Wendz..

there is also this 'Abuja declaration' that is causing panic amongst church leaders...or maybe they are just using it to cause fear amongst kondoo...