wazua Sun, Jul 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
NTV Inside the constitution.
kadonye
#21 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 8:23:54 AM

I missed it, main points?
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
masukuma
#22 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 8:35:46 AM

Nation poll last night on the Kadhi's courts. 70% don't want it 30% want it.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
sky5
#23 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 8:55:53 AM

whichever way you look at it, the big rush to enact a constitution with contentious issues is not to the best interests of most Kenyans. I believe that Kenyans are now well informed to vote wisely.

If the referendum was held at the beginning of May, the 'YES' vote would have carried the day, but I don't see that happenning come August 4th.
Ray
#24 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 9:17:58 AM

During the debate the deputy speaker was unruly and not in order.He told Joe Ageyo that he brought his christian friends as the audience. That was derogatory.
Ja-Kom
#25 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 9:56:15 AM

Hii mambo ngumu.Why should the courts be protected under the proposed constitution?? Still have no answer to this question..
For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous. Romans 5:19
muganda
#26 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 10:40:33 AM

TV programme was interesting - can't argue with that.

I was disappointed by behaviour of audience which reflected choice of venue - Strathmore is a Catholic institution and I'd warrant over 75% of institution doesn't support Kadhi's courts. The audience was hostile to Mr.Faram and Ms.Wambui.

Best comeback of the evening was when Mr.Kanjama prove beyond doubt that constitutions can be inconsistent requiring some hierachical interpretation of the document.

"Is Kenya a secular state?" - this question caused a conondrum. At first panelists were arguing our constitution does not primarily lean towards Christianity. Then when this question was asked, they felt Kenya should not wholly ascribe to secularism.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." These powerful words written by Martin Luther King in 1963 from a Birmingham Jail; and quoted by Mr.Ongote surmised my opinion of the matter.
sky5
#27 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 10:54:27 AM

muganda wrote:
"Is Kenya a secular state?" - this question caused a conondrum. At first panelists were arguing our constitution does not primarily lean towards Christianity. Then when this question was asked, they felt Kenya should not wholly ascribe to secularism.

Although over 75% of Kenyans call themselves Christians (by Christian names), Kenya is a secular state. If it were to be non-secular state, which religion would be defined as state religion in the constitution?
muganda
#28 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 1:09:08 PM

@sky5, majority of Kenyans lean towards Christianity. It affects our thinking, beliefs, our being... And so it finds itself into the constitution.

So it was slightly amusing to see the panel yesterday argue they don't want Islam because we are secular; and on the other hand argue 'life begins at conception' clause is not a inherently Christian demand.

Also debators could not agree if Muslims are a 'minority'...
Kenya: 88%Christian 10%Islam 2%Other
(wikipedia)
nanfor1
#29 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 1:15:33 PM

someone has lied to these fellows that all Kenyans care. Watching the program yesterday was telling in its obvious slant. The scary thing was to see the reactions of the guys at the coast. Those thinking that there will be a new draft in november should take a shot of my rum. Next round will be total majimbo whether these fundamentalists want it or not.
Hata wakizima taa
Intelligentsia
#30 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 1:22:33 PM

masukuma, so much with the hole-poking in all these threads.
Now be honest to yourself and wazuans and tell us what are the main POSITIVE things about the draft.
Soko tele
#31 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 1:32:40 PM

muganda wrote:
@sky5, majority of Kenyans lean towards Christianity. It affects our thinking, beliefs, our being... And so it finds itself into the constitution.

So it was slightly amusing to see the panel yesterday argue they don't want Islam because we are secular; and on the other hand argue 'life begins at conception' clause is not a inherently Christian demand.

(wikipedia)

Can faith(which is can change at will) define if a group is a minority or not? ..........i can be a christian today and tomorrow a muslim.
My take is that minority can be either on gender, enthnic or region because these are permernent feautures....
B.Timer
#32 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 1:43:50 PM

muganda wrote:

(wikipedia)

Muslims stand to loose nothing if the Kadhis courts are not in the constitution, as long as nobody will stop them from proceeding with their practice.

Regardless of what arguments the panelist put forward, it is important that we seperate state and religion, as well as treat all religions equaly.
There are many other minorities - Hindu, Boharas, Traditionalists, Atheists etc.

In the supermarkets we see Halal signs, in the Abbatrois Muslims are the ones supposed to slaughter, and now we have Islamic banking.
How come none of the other religions have these demands.

Dunia ni msongamano..
muganda
#33 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 2:02:51 PM

@Soko tele, try being a Christian in Saudi Arabia, you are a definite minority and you don't want to change.

Article 21. All State organs and all public officers have the duty to address the needs of vulnerable groups within society, including women, older members of society, persons with disabilities, children, youth, members of minority or marginalised communities, and members of particular ethnic, religious or cultural communities.

@B.Timer, Mr.Ongote on the show said it well - it's not the What but the How. We are currently negotiating Nile Treaty with Egypt (outsiders) in a process; same thing was done at Independence even when we were right.

Remember, not the What but the How. The judges ruling could have been factually correct yet go against basic tenets of natural justice:
--decision maker declares any personal interest in the proceedings;
--unbiased and act in good faith;
--justice should be seen to be done

nanfor1
#34 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 2:08:03 PM

So now B.Timer wants to slaughter muslims chickens and the meat to be "blessed"......Pray Shame on you
Hata wakizima taa
B.Timer
#35 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 2:26:40 PM

nanfor1 wrote:
So now B.Timer wants to slaughter muslims chickens and the meat to be "blessed"......Pray Shame on you

Slow on this obsession of taking the war to the Christians.

Nobody should demand to slaughter all and any animal meant for the public - not a Christian, not a Muslim not myself.

Dead wrong on the assumption that I am a christian!
Dunia ni msongamano..
sky5
#36 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 2:28:32 PM

August 4th is not too far. Each one of us is entitled to vote either 'GREEN/YES' or 'RED/NO'. So let us mature and avoid acrimony at all costs.

The referendum campaigns have already divided Kenyans along several 'fault lines' which are not healthy for the country. We seem to be heading back to the pre-2005 polarisation and no one seems to care to listen.

Whether YES wins or NO wins, the polarisation will roll over to 2012 GE. That is why all efforts should have been made to get a win-win scenario before referendum date. I don't believe the process is gone too far and can't be halted and the issues addressed.

If a fault plane takes off from the runway and the pilot alerted in good time, he may stop the plane, have it repaired and back on the runway or he may continue and end in a crash.
nanfor1
#37 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 2:36:19 PM

True True sky5

In the same spirit, can u ask that Kariuki guy to stop telling my grandmother that muslims are planning to massacre all christians because of the abuja convention.

When a pastor becomes a liar, should he:

1. confess and go to heaven
2. watch the country burn and go to heaven.
Hata wakizima taa
B.Timer
#38 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 2:41:06 PM

sky5 wrote:
August 4th is not too far. Each one of us is entitled to vote either 'GREEN/YES' or 'RED/NO'. So let us mature and avoid acrimony at all costs.

The referendum campaigns have already divided Kenyans along several 'fault lines' which are not healthy for the country. We seem to be heading back to the pre-2005 polarisation and no one seems to care to listen.

Whether YES wins or NO wins, the polarisation will roll over to 2012 GE. That is why all efforts should have been made to get a win-win scenario before referendum date. I don't believe the process is gone too far and can't be halted and the issues addressed.

If a fault plane takes off from the runway and the pilot alerted in good time, he may stop the plane, have it repaired and back on the runway or he may continue and end in a crash.

Man you have a way of reading my mind. Not once or twice.

If the Kibakis had wanted to ensure that the run up to the referundum was undivisive they would have done it.
They handled this casualy now look, we are in a rut.
Dunia ni msongamano..
sky5
#39 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 2:41:35 PM

@nanfor; I'm sure Kariuki is listening and pray he shall abide by your wishes.

But about the so called 'abuja declaration', has anyone ever openly denied it? If it is true, what does it portend?
nanfor1
#40 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 2:46:14 PM

sky5

It portends that you need to read more and visit the world. Going to your pastor is not an education but an opportunity to be brainwashed.

but it's ok. We are a secular, democratic state. You have a right to be misinformed and swallow it hook, line and sinker.
Hata wakizima taa