wazua Fri, Jul 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages<1234>
why do i vote YES for Kenya proposed constitution
masukuma
#21 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 1:29:05 PM

@Wendz, some of these issues were raised but the COE ignored them. All those emails facebook, memoranda dropped at their door step fell on deaf ears. No Wonder they Clergy has BEEF with this chaps.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
famooz
#22 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 1:38:27 PM

@ nafor1 - what are you so angry about?
nanfor1
#23 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 2:03:21 PM

famooz wrote:
@ nafor1 - what are you so angry about?

I am a very happy woman famooz thank you.

If you talk nicely, I can make you happy tooDrool Drool
Hata wakizima taa
famooz
#24 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 2:16:41 PM

You just do not sound so happy. good to know you are though.

now lets go back to matters katiba.
Wendz
#25 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 3:26:08 PM

@famooz....

I think you may have forgotten nanfor.... she is not angry, she is only passionate about what she believes in.... so read it in that spirit and you will see what i mean.
muganda
#26 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 8:52:00 PM

Okay so I saw this COE lady in Citizen TV last night with Julie Gichuru and she somehow alluded to women not being 'citizens' in the current constitution. So I was keen to get to Chapter 3.

But the chapter on citizenship is quite elaborate in the current constitution, perhaps because it was the independence constitution. And anyone born in Kenyan / or with Kenyan parents is a citizen etc. And how would women carry ID cards anyway - so she must clearly have been mistaken!

point 5: Tricky one here but somehow makes sense - if you were born in Kenya and one of your parents is a citizen, you become a citizen. If you are a 'ward of the state' - a child found in Kenya who is, or appears to be, less than eight years of age, and whose nationality and parents are not known, is presumed to be a citizen by birth. Realise though same can be revoked once parentage is established.

(15) Good stuff for your adopted children becoming citizens;
good stuff for restrictions in the case of marriage - it takes up to 7 years and not immediate like in the old constitution

(16) Good stuff on dual citizenship for Kenyan citizens by birth

And it gets rid of all that stuff do with colonialism / British subjects before 1963!!!

muganda
#27 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 10:46:53 PM

Okay so we suffered under later years of Moi rule. Would life have been different under the new proposed 'BILL OF RIGHTS'?

The BILL OF RIGHTS in five parts, is Chapter Four under new constitution, and it is elaabooraaate...

point 6: I think section of application of bill of rights is novel. The court in applying a provision must interpret in a way that most favours enforcement of the right; must promote values that underlie open and democratic society; state shall always be guided by principle that its responsibility is to avail resources...

(22) Every person has right to institute court proceedings claiming fundamental freedom has been infringed. No fee may be charged for commencing the proceedings. The court shall not be unreasonably restricted by procedural technicalities.

(24) The following fundamental freedoms cannot be limited: freedom from torture, slavery, right to fair trial and right to an order of habeas corpus.
...with no exceptions at all unlike in the current constitution which even deems any treatment allowable in Dec 1963 as ok today!!!...

point 7: Oops here comes the big one!
(26) Every person has the right to life. The life of a person begins at conception - all rest being said, this is good. Surely doesn't that mean all the fundamental rights extend to the unborn? Whatever the case, note also that (24) still limits rights subject to law that is based on human dignity, equality and freedom.

My view is the clause of abortion does not expressely permit Abortion. The concerns expressed are it can be manipulated in its current form:
(trained health professional == midwife, doctor, nurse but also abortionist)
(emergency == rape but also wrongful pregnancy)
(health == physical well being but also emotional)

point 8: (27) Women and men have the right to equal treatment including the right to equal opportunities in political, economic, cultural and social spheres.

(45) Family: clause recognises marriage to opposite sex on free consent; bestows equal rights at all times; recognizes traditional marriages.

point 9: Other thubms up include:
-definition of hate speech -privacy of communications -freedom of the media -access to information -clean and healthy environment -consumer rights (quality, information, compensation)

Apart from specifically recognising:
-rights of children -of disabled -of youth - of minorities - of the aged

point 10: It's a long one, so bear with us.
(58) clearly declares state of emergency and it must last 14 days, and only extended for 2 months per time with 75% votes in the house

(59) defines human rights and equality commission to promote its agenda and provide focussed avenue for investigation and remedial actions

masukuma
#28 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 5:32:41 AM

@muganda,point 5 looks nice at the surface, but for a nation that is struggling with the influx of refugees i think we should lower the limit to 5 since a child of 8 years is a pre-teen, they can take orders and lie. A 5 year old would after questioning most likely say "niliambiwa nikae hapa na Mummy"
It may prove to be a point of weakness.
point 7 is a big one as rightly expressed, observe that the Emergency treatment has nothing to do or is caused by the pregnancy. C'est Correct? It can be misused to mean any Emergency treatment on the mother. the health as correctly stated can be "anything since health does not mean absence of ailments" I sense mischief in the ending of that clause ",or if permitted by any other written law" that is a point of misuse carefully crafted and placed there for future use. it could be an international law we ratified or an act if parliament or any other law. Amos wako or his successor may draft a law and place it there since the clause says "abortion is not permitted UNLESS..."
consider this: pro-life people may argue that regardless of how a human life came into being - it is life, whether through passionate love making of teenagers or adulterous escapades by the married. or even violent rape by a cruel man or father. the person to be punished is not the life that has come to be (it is innocent) but the father and/or mother are guilty. we should have a means of taking this unwanted child and raising him/her in the system. i agree that the mother should not be FORCED to raise the child if she does not want to.
i also think the current penal code sympathetic to a mother who wants to get rid of the child. section 227 of the penal code may cover for those who dump kids in children homes, police stations, hospitals for them to be raised by the system.
proceed with your analysis.
muganda
#29 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 7:24:08 AM

@masukuma good points. Realise however that it's impossible to have the constitution perfect - perfect for one, imperfect for some - the art of making a constitution requires give and take.

So I think we can live with the clause on 'ward of the state'.

As relates to compromise on Abortion clauses, there has also been shifting sands:
--Nov 09 draft did not refer to abortion (like the current constitution); so the churches complained and viewed right to reproductive health as mischief
--Jan 10 draft at behest of churches stated life begins at conception. The problem became it outlawed all medical treament including some forms of contraceptives and post conception complications (ectopic, gestation tumuors etc.)
--Feb 10 draft became a compromise between the two extreme positions of the previous drafts.

Don't know to what extent we can live with the abortion clauses as is, but there's evidence the team did try to listen to parties concerned. It is on official record that churches are unhappy with the result!

http://allafrica.com/stories/201004300792.html
chepkel
#30 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 7:46:16 AM

Wendz wrote:
Soko tele wrote:
@ Wendz............when cases that have been handled by Kadhi courts are appealed in High court or court of appeal, are all judges on the bench Muslims???

They do not have to be ALL Muslims but whatever decision they make, they are guided by the Khadhi. There is no appeal of any cases from the Kadhi courts that can be conducted in absense of the kadhi.... and even the judges wouldnt accept to conduct such as that wouldnt be justice.

@ Wendz Hapo umekosea kabisa kabisa. When cases from the Kadhi courts are referred to the high court then they are not subject to the Kadhi rules anymore and will be conducted in the absense of a kadhi because for one the High court is not in a Kadhi's jurisdiction. So a lawyer would argue the case while referring to any other law of the land which is applicable in the high court.No way in hell will a kadhi be allowed to sit in the high court to hear a case. Never ever.
Wendz
#31 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 7:50:45 AM

@chep

You are right.... he can only be called as a witness if need be... I was wrong.
chepkel
#32 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:32:28 AM

@Wendz, Wewe ni mpoa. I like you
Wendz
#33 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:58:13 AM

@chep

I called a lawyer friend to confirm because i remember one time we had a case where we had gotten into an agreement based on islamic law and they had to call a khadhi for interpretation. thats what i was confusing with.
chepkel
#34 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:13:44 AM

It would be great if Kenyans would have sober discussions like this ones. When one is wrong admit it, when you are not sure ask and not stick to one mindset. Halafu mtu anachukua panga and after all that anabaki vile vile. After what i saw in 2007 am really really scared. How am i going to protect my child and family from extremists???
Mpenzi
#35 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:47:46 AM

@Wendz and chepkel

If an appeal arises from a matter heard in the first instance by the Kadhi's court, the High Court or the Court of Appeal, as the case may be, has to examine and apply the law that was applied in arriving at the Kadhi's court decision ie Islamic law. But at that appellate level, the court is not sitting as a Kadhis court by as the High Court or the Court of Appeal in which case there is no issue of a Kadhi determining the appeal.But a Kadhi or other expert in Islamic law may be called, not to give an interpretation, but as a witness to give evidence on Islamic law in question. The appeal judge or judges then determine the appeal on their own.

As a point of addition, law schools in Kenya do incorporate a bit of Islamic law in their curricula particularly in the Family Law and Succession course, as it is expected that the students will later on need such knowledge as lawyers or as judges.
Fundaah
#36 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:31:31 AM

Mpenzi wrote:

As a point of addition, law schools in Kenya do incorporate a bit of Islamic law in their curricula particularly in the Family Law and Succession course, as it is expected that the students will later on need such knowledge as lawyers or as judges.

Very important point ....and that is why Kadhis courts at lower levels in the constitution are in order...we need to accomodate our muslim brothers....an very importantly preach to them to accept that there is no other way to the Father in heaven except through His Son Jesus Christ....this should not however be forced down their throats ....but through free will....
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
nanfor1
#37 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:38:19 AM

(22) Every person has right to institute court proceedings claiming fundamental freedom has been infringed. No fee may be charged for commencing the proceedings. The court shall not be unreasonably restricted by procedural technicalities.

If there is anything that i believe we should read again and again, it is this point.

Long gone will be the days when your "friend" can pay the cop a few bucks to have you sleep in jail.

Lets not forget,robery with violence for stealing a chicken.

I just love this section and just for that,I will bring my grandmother to the poll. She was once slapped by a policeman.

As for the life clause

Does it now mean that the churches will agitate for the elimination of the death penalty? Or is there life of lesser value than mine?
Hata wakizima taa
masukuma
#38 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:42:17 AM

@Mpenzi, why specifically Islamic? i have heard of the nonsense of Judeo-Christian philosophies which is total Hog Wash. Christians believe in forgive and forget, turning the other cheek e.t.c. these are not in the constitution nor is their "spirit".
chepkel
#39 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:46:43 AM

@ Mpenzi. Thank you for the clarification.

Do these Kadhi's have to be trained lawyers/magistrates/judges or anyone with knowledge of Islamic law qualifies to be a kadhi. I heard that there was alot of corruption and cases were not handled very well.
nanfor1
#40 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:50:43 AM

chepkel wrote:
@ Mpenzi. Thank you for the clarification.

Do these Kadhi's have to be trained lawyers/magistrates/judges or anyone with knowledge of Islamic law qualifies to be a kadhi. I heard that there was alot of corruption and cases were not handled very well.

I am not privy to the corruption in Kadhis courts. However, I do know that there is a lot of that going on in the other courts. Ask anyone who has lost file there.

I also know that these courts are the worst maintained courts in the country. They are actually an eyesore.
Hata wakizima taa