wazua Sat, Jun 22, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Internet of Things in EA
alma1
#21 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 3:57:37 PM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
Internet of things will NEVER take off in Kenya for instance if i have to search earth and sky to get the raspberrypi2.i should be going to any electronics shop in cbd and get myself the latest rapsberrypi3 with no hustle.

The internet of things has nothing to do with Kenya. Unless you are that Mutua fellow at film board, you know you are wrong.

The internet is the internet.

the only way to stop the internet of things is to stop the internet. When Kenyans learn how to stop the internet, I shall listen.

Life changed, now get used to it.

Saying that to someone who's so busy saying the internet won't work but busy posting his opinions on the internet.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

murchr
#22 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 4:07:39 PM

alma1 wrote:
Internet of things will NEVER take off in Kenya for instance if i have to search earth and sky to get the raspberrypi2.i should be going to any electronics shop in cbd and get myself the latest rapsberrypi3 with no hustle.

The internet of things has nothing to do with Kenya. Unless you are that Mutua fellow at film board, you know you are wrong.

The internet is the internet.

the only way to stop the internet of things is to stop the internet. When Kenyans learn how to stop the internet, I shall listen.

Life changed, now get used to it.

Saying that to someone who's so busy saying the internet won't work but busy posting his opinions on the internet.

Does the average Kamau know what a Raspberry Pi is leave alone what its used for? Laughing out loudly Kweli huyu Cornelius ni Mutua tu.

ION:

The floods and eventual collapse of a house in Huruma are demonstrations that we indeed need to adapt smart initiatives to solve these problems.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Anbu
#23 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 9:14:29 PM

These things are readily available if you know where to look. If you can't find I'd be happy to get it for you.
The struggle continues
MunyaoTrader
#24 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:49:44 PM

Internet of things (as I explained to my two year old son) is when electronic gadgets or machines communicate with each other to produce products and provide services without human intervention. For example, when you park your car, the coffee maker pours you a hot cup before you arrive at your desk.
Ash Ock
#25 Posted : Tuesday, May 03, 2016 10:35:23 PM

MunyaoTrader wrote:
Internet of things (as I explained to my two year old son) is when electronic gadgets or machines communicate with each other to produce products and provide services without human intervention. For example, when you park your car, the coffee maker pours you a hot cup before you arrive at your desk.

Without an AI (Artificial Intelligence) to work with the humongous amounts of data to be generated, the IoT is meaningless as it currently stands.
Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
murchr
#26 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 12:24:02 AM

Ash Ock wrote:
MunyaoTrader wrote:

Without an AI (Artificial Intelligence) to work with the humongous amounts of data to be generated, the IoT is meaningless as it currently stands.

@Trader, your example is in the further future.

@Ash Ock AI has been in existence for a while. But IOT can/is/will exist with minimal to no AI.

What is needed is sensors, internet (wi-fi or bluetooth)

Examples of IoT

1. Most of the cars manufactured in 2014 and later can connect with your mobile phone (smart phone) and you can receive and make calls, read messages and emails with your phone in the pocket .

2. IF you are in a town well covered in maps your car can alert you incase you are running low in petrol and from maps, it can calculate how long it will take to get to the next pump.

3. Waze - app that tells your phone where accidents have been noted and reported.

4. Self driving cars

5. Nest - The famous app that detects smoke and CO2 in the house.

6. Tile App - Add-on to keys and other valuables using bluetooth for used to find lost/misplaced keys

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ash Ock
#27 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 3:26:22 PM

murchr wrote:

@Ash Ock AI has been in existence for a while. But IOT can/is/will exist with minimal to no AI.

Examples of IoT

1. Most of the cars manufactured in 2014 and later can connect with your mobile phone (smart phone) and you can receive and make calls, read messages and emails with your phone in the pocket .

2. IF you are in a town well covered in maps your car can alert you incase you are running low in petrol and from maps, it can calculate how long it will take to get to the next pump.

3. Waze - app that tells your phone where accidents have been noted and reported.

4. Self driving cars

6. Tile App - Add-on to keys and other valuables using bluetooth for used to find lost/misplaced keys

The current AI we have is very limited, what is called ANI (Artificial Narrow Intelligence) like Siri or Google Now, with very limited capabilities. This ANI (Google Maps) would have told you it was a good idea to drive through Thika road last week during the downpour. It does not have all the data available and, even it it had, how would it analyze that data to come up with the correct recommendation? That's exactly what AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) or ASI (Artificial Super Intelligence) is striving to do.

For IoT to really work as intended, the connected software needs to be able to analyze all the incoming data, which experts are hoping to achieve within the next 20 - ? years.

Here are some interesting articles:

1. IoT Won’t Work Without Artificial Intelligence

2. When IoT Meets Artificial Intelligence

3. How Artificial Intelligence Will Kickstart the Internet of Things

4. US Whitehouse release: Preparing for the Future of Artificial Intelligence

In short, the amount of data the IoT will be producing is going to be immense (exponential growth). Trying to make sense of it is going to be very difficult next to impossible without AGI or ASI.

murchr
#28 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 5:12:57 PM

Ash Ock wrote:
murchr wrote:

Examples of IoT

4. Self driving cars

The current AI we have is very limited, what is called ANI (Artificial Narrow Intelligence) like Siri or Google Now, with very limited capabilities. This ANI (Google Maps) would have told you it was a good idea to drive through Thika road last week during the downpour. It does not have all the data available and, even it it had, how would it analyze that data to come up with the correct recommendation? That's exactly what AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) or ASI (Artificial Super Intelligence) is striving to do.

For IoT to really work as intended, the connected software needs to be able to analyze all the incoming data, which experts are hoping to achieve within the next 20 - ? years.

Here are some interesting articles:

1. IoT Won’t Work Without Artificial Intelligence

2. When IoT Meets Artificial Intelligence

3. How Artificial Intelligence Will Kickstart the Internet of Things

4. US Whitehouse release: Preparing for the Future of Artificial Intelligence

In short, the amount of data the IoT will be producing is going to be immense (exponential growth). Trying to make sense of it is going to be very difficult next to impossible without AGI or ASI.

I think the thika road example is very poor since its a work in progress I mean, have they even completed mapping and identifying spots? IoT is already in play as shown on the graph you pasted and growing in stages, the pessimists will always have something to say, remember they even said that the Ipad will not take off because its useless since laptops are serving the purpose, but look at what the giants are doing. Apple, Google, Dell, AT&T, Samsung, Amazon, Microsoft, Bosch, Cisco, GE, Huawei, Hitachi, LG and the list is endless. If IoT capable devices become the standard (as championed by Samsung) the rest will be forced to follow the tow. Data can only make sense when analyzed by humans. The argument that an AI machine has to analyze the data for IoT to succeed is rather laughable, i don't doubt there will be plenty of that, but trend has began and there's more to come.
Ash Ock
#29 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 5:45:13 PM

murchr wrote:

I think the thika road example is very poor since its a work in progress I mean, have they even completed mapping and identifying spots? IoT is already in play as shown on the graph you pasted and growing in stages, the pessimists will always have something to say, remember they even said that the Ipad will not take off because its useless since laptops are serving the purpose, but look at what the giants are doing. Apple, Google, Dell, AT&T, Samsung, Amazon, Microsoft, Bosch, Cisco, GE, Huawei, Hitachi, LG and the list is endless. If IoT capable devices become the standard (as championed by Samsung) the rest will be forced to follow the tow. Data can only make sense when analyzed by humans. The argument that an AI machine has to analyze the data for IoT to succeed is rather laughable, i don't doubt there will be plenty of that, but trend has began and there's more to come.

Whoa, hold on there murchr, I'm not a pessimist. I'm one of the one's who can't wait for ASI to become a reality (not like Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says humans will be robots' pets Laughing out loudly ).

The point about the ASI becoming necessary for the IoT to work is the amount of data needed to be analyzed. Let me quote from a couple of the articles I linked above:

Quote:
IoT will produce a tsunami of big data, with the rapid expansion of devices and sensors connected to the Internet of Things continues, the sheer volume of data being created by them will increase to an astronomical level. This data will hold extremely valuable insights into what’s working well or what’s not.

I'm sure you'll agree analyzing this mountain of data is going to be a completely hopeless task for humans to achieve. The Thika road analogy I presented is exactly that: we had massive information streaming in during the rains yet we humans were not able to get that information out in real time to the road users, whether by twitter, FB, or any of the means we're currently using today. I personally would be too slow, opening up Twitter/Facebook, typing the message, correcting the errors if any, then pressing send etc.

Quote:
As the rapid expansion of devices and sensors connected to the Internet of Things continues, the sheer volume of data being created by them will increase to a mind-boggling level. This data will hold extremely valuable insight into what’s working well or what’s not – pointing out conflicts that arise and providing high-value insight into new business risks and opportunities as correlations and associations are made.

Even today, analyzing relatively "little" data like Facebook or Twitter do with users data (using ANI), is completely impossible for us humans to do within a reasonable time frame. Yet ANI is very limited in its very narrow application field.

murchr
#30 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 6:23:13 PM

Ash Ock wrote:
murchr wrote:

Whoa, hold on there murchr, I'm not a pessimist. I'm one of the one's who can't wait for ASI to become a reality (not like Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says humans will be robots' pets Laughing out loudly ).

The point about the ASI becoming necessary for the IoT to work is the amount of data needed to be analyzed. Let me quote from a couple of the articles I linked above:

Quote:
IoT will produce a tsunami of big data, with the rapid expansion of devices and sensors connected to the Internet of Things continues, the sheer volume of data being created by them will increase to an astronomical level. This data will hold extremely valuable insights into what’s working well or what’s not.

I'm sure you'll agree analyzing this mountain of data is going to be a completely hopeless task for humans to achieve. The Thika road analogy I presented is exactly that: we had massive information streaming in during the rains yet we humans were not able to get that information out in real time to the road users, whether by twitter, FB, or any of the means we're currently using today. I personally would be too slow, opening up Twitter/Facebook, typing the message, correcting the errors if any, then pressing send etc.

Quote:
As the rapid expansion of devices and sensors connected to the Internet of Things continues, the sheer volume of data being created by them will increase to a mind-boggling level. This data will hold extremely valuable insight into what’s working well or what’s not – pointing out conflicts that arise and providing high-value insight into new business risks and opportunities as correlations and associations are made.

Even today, analyzing relatively "little" data like Facebook or Twitter do with users data (using ANI), is completely impossible for us humans to do within a reasonable time frame. Yet ANI is very limited in its very narrow application field.

Actually, I never meant that you are the pessimist. The writer of the wired article is. As for thika road. First things first.

Am sure you have visited other cities with better infrastructure....then you know thika road is not even close to anything modern, I mean a road with no HOV lane and side lane where a car needing road assistance can tow to...so even if it was mapped and a car gets into an accident, getting to that vehicle will still be problematic (no real time response is possible) because of the traffic pile up. So even in the rain, even if the road was flooded, all we Kenyans could say is Thika road is flooded get amazed, complain and keep going. No solution would be forthcoming. In what is now a perfect highway(there's room for improvement), there would be people watching traffic as it moves, and reporting like in this case or this case and in congested situations so we're still very far from modern. This technology is old. In a perfect world a GPS would give you more than one way of getting to your destination and give you details of the time you will take on the road depending on the traffic and incidents reported.

As for big data, we have not even utilized the capacity of an Oracle database with all the data in the world and surely you cant assume that people are sitting and waiting do you?

Quote:

You wouldn't need to, your phone will communicate to you through your car. Any bluetooth enabled toyota can do that
UpcomingPaperChaser
#31 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 7:03:54 PM

murchr wrote:
Ash Ock wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, I never meant that you are the pessimist. The writer of the wired article is. As for thika road. First things first.

Am sure you have visited other cities with better infrastructure....then you know thika road is not even close to anything modern, I mean a road with no HOV lane and side lane where a car needing road assistance can tow to...so even if it was mapped and a car gets into an accident, getting to that vehicle will still be problematic (no real time response is possible) because of the traffic pile up. So even in the rain, even if the road was flooded, all we Kenyans could say is Thika road is flooded get amazed, complain and keep going. No solution would be forthcoming. In what is now a perfect highway(there's room for improvement), there would be people watching traffic as it moves, and reporting like in this case or this case and in congested situations so we're still very far from modern. This technology is old. In a perfect world a GPS would give you more than one way of getting to your destination and give you details of the time you will take on the road depending on the traffic and incidents reported.

As for big data, we have not even utilized the capacity of an Oracle database with all the data in the world and surely you cant assume that people are sitting and waiting do you?

Really? bro the GDP of a country should be compared with its infrastructure, you cannot expect Nairobi to have world class infrastructure like Tokyo, London or Sydney. For our economy, i think Thika Road is more than modern.........
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
murchr
#32 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 7:17:40 PM

UpcomingPaperChaser wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ash Ock wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Really? bro the GDP of a country should be compared with its infrastructure, you cannot expect Nairobi to have world class infrastructure like Tokyo, London or Sydney. For our economy, i think Thika Road is more than modern.........

Your bar is too low
murchr
#33 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 5:00:19 AM

Lets see how this one goes.Amazon Echo now has competition.

murchr
#34 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 5:10:39 AM

And the race to make your wallet obsolete continues

murchr
#35 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2016 11:40:28 PM

Eric Mutembei, 22 and 24-year-old James Karuri computer science students have developed a Sensor based Automatic Irrigation System and Smart Home Automation Kit to cut on cost and labour.
Mr. Mutembei a third year student in Kenya Methodist University and Mr Karuri a fourth year student in Meru University of Science and Technology (MUST), designed phone application systems to allow people monitor activities while they are away.
With the assistance of a Physics Lecturer. Daniel Maitethia, the lead innovator of the systems and a Physics lab technician Samuel Lalai both from MUST, the students managed to design the systems to help cut on cost and save time.

murchr
#36 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 11:41:26 PM

Ndemo wrote:
............The Digital Program targeted Standard Eight dropouts selected from each sub-county who, in most cases, have no chance of finding employment. With digital knowledge, they can find back-office jobs monitoring digital cameras globally using the abundant bandwidth in Kisumu. These are some of the jobs created by new technologies such as the Internet of Things (IoT). .................................
In the coming days, virtually every gadget will be connected to every other gadget and as such, some critical monitoring devices will be monitored for long periods of time to guarantee a constant flow of reliable data.

Hospitals of the future will start equipping patients with wearables, which will necessitate integration into ICT. They will also update their networks to enhance monitoring of their solutions.

All these will require a re-skilled workforce, and those counties that successfully prepare their citizens for future jobs will succeed.
murchr
#37 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:07:11 PM

murchr
#38 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:58:13 AM

wanyee
#39 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 11:21:10 AM

algorithms can backfire especially non parametric ones saa hiiyo mutoto yake atapigwo pasi na awekwe kwa washing machine..scary
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#40 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2016 9:44:37 AM

spooky stuff. robots will rule us all