wazua Wed, Sep 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<1234>»
Cyber Security
radio
#21 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 9:05:23 AM

I am a security enthusiast and I can tell you cyber security is still a mirage.

Kill the Password: Why a String of Characters Can’t Protect Us Anymore
ChessMaster
#22 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 11:38:35 AM

I'm thinking,its not that twitter was hacked.Its why someone would want to do it?
Uncertainty is certain.Let go
ChessMaster
#23 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 12:42:30 PM

@admin - If its possible to move this to technical I'd highly appreciate it.
tycho
#24 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 1:42:17 PM

radio wrote:

Security is highest when everything is transparent and accessible.
ChessMaster
#25 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 2:14:52 PM

tycho wrote:
radio wrote:

Access will replace ownership
tycho
#26 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:38:20 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
tycho wrote:
radio wrote:

Access will replace ownership

It's interesting to note that philosophy in general, is turning more and more towards communism.

Yet this networked world, is also radically capitalistic!

These are exciting times indeed!

ChessMaster
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:39:36 PM

I think I like security because of blackhats and whitehats.I'm not so sure what greyhats really are.
tycho
#28 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:15:21 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
I think I like security because of blackhats and whitehats.I'm not so sure what greyhats really are.

Greyhat is the way to go for cyber security. Why?

Because the cyber environment is to remain transparent, crime busting will need blackhat activity.
ChessMaster
#29 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:21:18 PM

Explain crime busting
akowally
#30 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:21:47 PM

ChessMaster and Tycho must be really good friends with the same school of thought.

Did you guys go to the same school or something?
JOIN MY FREE MINI-COURSE FOR WRITERS. CLICK HERE
ChessMaster
#31 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:25:32 PM

school of life
tycho
#32 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:04:54 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
Explain crime busting

Look at any organism's security system, it also entails violence.

The ability to wield violent power secures your freedom, to a certain and significant extent.

Thus cyber security is more of a political problem than a technical one.

So going back to the organism's security systems we see activities like investigations, arrests, negotiations, and warfare.

These need Greyhat status as they are elements of Government.
tycho
#33 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:08:05 PM

akowally wrote:
ChessMaster and Tycho must be really good friends with the same school of thought.

Did you guys go to the same school or something?

You are invited too! Love is enough a bond.
ChessMaster
#34 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:14:21 PM

tycho wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:
Explain crime busting

Look at any organism's security system, it also entails violence.

The ability to wield violent power secures your freedom, to a certain and significant extent.

Thus cyber security is more of a political problem than a technical one.

So going back to the organism's security systems we see activities like investigations, arrests, negotiations, and warfare.

These need Greyhat status as they are elements of Government.

Ah,like white blood cells.I think so too,the government will eventually be forced to plat greyhat at some point.
ChessMaster
#35 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:12:39 PM

False flag attacks will be on the rise so that the internet can be controlled. The question is,why would someone want to control the internet?Why would people be afraid of information being shared?Is there something we aren't supposed to know?
quicksand
#36 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:38:25 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
I understand that crime can't stop in its entirety but its a subject I'm trying to reach a deeper understanding on. For example,the world governments want regulation of the internet to go into the hands of the U.N. What's there to be regulated? I don't consider ethical hackers real hackers.I'm sorry to all the ethical hackers. I'm afraid of one of our politicians being attacked by a hacker because after terrorists,hackers are next in line to be targeted.

I am afraid I have to disagree with you there. I presume by ethical hackers you mean people who break systems but not for criminal intent. They are real hackers, and originally this is what the phrase 'hacking' meant before it took evil connotations ... one of the earliest examples, the Robert Tappan Morris worm was an attempt to figure out the size of the internet. This was 1988. Whatever the reason, hobby, being rebellious or research, they do important work. Granted they might be behind their criminal counterparts (criminal proceeds can be very motivating), but on occasion they discover and plug security holes before they are exploited. They are also usually the ones who figure out how security breaches were executed, stem the bleeding and stop future similar attacks. If it weren't for ethical hackers we would be sitting ducks, ripe for plucking at the pleasure of cyber criminals. So, they are real
ChessMaster
#37 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:57:21 PM

quicksand wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:
I understand that crime can't stop in its entirety but its a subject I'm trying to reach a deeper understanding on. For example,the world governments want regulation of the internet to go into the hands of the U.N. What's there to be regulated? I don't consider ethical hackers real hackers.I'm sorry to all the ethical hackers. I'm afraid of one of our politicians being attacked by a hacker because after terrorists,hackers are next in line to be targeted.

I am afraid I have to disagree with you there. I presume by ethical hackers you mean people who break systems but not for criminal intent. They are real hackers, and originally this is what the phrase 'hacking' meant before it took evil connotations ... one of the earliest examples, the Robert Tappan Morris worm was an attempt to figure out the size of the internet. This was 1988. Whatever the reason, hobby, being rebellious or research, they do important work. Granted they might be behind their criminal counterparts (criminal proceeds can be very motivating), but on occasion they discover and plug security holes before they are exploited. They are also usually the ones who figure out how security breaches were executed, stem the bleeding and stop future similar attacks. If it weren't for ethical hackers we would be sitting ducks, ripe for plucking at the pleasure of cyber criminals. So, they are real

True. One problem I have with ethical hackers is they are too education oriented while hackers&crackers are not. Another thing is they are not as motivated and are always cleaning up after hacks and not hacking. The first computer security guys were criminals who were paid to act for good.The skills they had were unthinkable even in todays standards. These were people who mastered databases,computer design,OS and protocols.Even in todays world very few have a breadth of knowledge that wide.
tycho
#38 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:15:28 PM

ChessMaster wrote:
quicksand wrote:
ChessMaster wrote:

True. One problem I have with ethical hackers is they are too education oriented while hackers&crackers are not. Another thing is they are not as motivated and are always cleaning up after hacks and not hacking. The first computer security guys were criminals who were paid to act for good.The skills they had were unthinkable even in todays standards. These were people who mastered databases,computer design,OS and protocols.Even in todays world very few have a breadth of knowledge that wide.

Imagination is the limit.
quicksand
#39 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:26:56 PM

The practice of hiring black hats by security companies is alive and well; Its just that nobody talks about it. These guys command huge salaries. The other part of the problem is perception and users. Computer users, even professionals are careless. Every successful attack that causes harm raises media and public outcry, while on the other hand attacks prevented or holes plugged dont even raise a blip, they are only documented in highly technical security or patch bulletins. Have you ever tried to read one of those? Very boring stuff, and even then, there is no full disclosure. Some averted security threats are simply buried. Its hard to predict the scale of harm prevented by a patch until the hole is actually exploited. That is why its hard to tell who is getting ahead of who.
You can't stop them all. A breach will be made eventually. And like real life, not knowing what your opponent is looking at, planning and thinking is a disadvantage. Its like national security intelligence, sometimes it appears as if they are doing nothing, but we would be terrified if we knew details of attacks they successfully stop - and stop they do, on that I have no doubt
ChessMaster
#40 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:42:27 PM

So true carelessness is a huge problem from users to professionals. Now I think I see your point of view. They are not hackers but their importance is critical.They are not interested in exploiting hacks but stopping them. They are real security.Hope you see my angle.

I like reading patches and security bulletins although not from the companies themselves. I like reading what other security personnel and hobbyist think about it.Blackhat.com is a site I check often though its not a site for black hats.