wazua Tue, Oct 8, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
G7 in clear lead in latest poll Smart Octopus Ltd
johnnjuguna
#21 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:49:22 AM

'user' wrote:
Njuguna , you win. proceed to the next thread, (on G7 of course ) what else can it be anyway

Aaah why did I reply this

Never argue with a wiseman smile because no one will notice the difference

I hope this is your idea of an apology.

I'm assuming it's an apology and therefore I will immediately delete the picture I had posted earlier.

But I warn you any sort of DIGRESSION in the form of phrases like '......aaaargggh thu' on my threads will be considered AN ACT OF WAR after which no one will be able to distinguish between your threads and diarrhea.

Now let me get back to my favorite topic.
johnnjuguna
#22 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:53:24 AM

@user, now ask nyangao to delete the one he quoted from me.
johnnjuguna
#23 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:04:51 PM

Look at the thread now. I have deleted all my comments. I've cleaned up the post and to my surprise there are people here who are just digressing.

Do you see how trivial you've made this thread be. Anyone reading it will wonder what the comments have to do with the fact that the polls indicate that G7 are winning.
mukiha
#24 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:18:30 PM

johnnjuguna has done his part by deleting what was considered offensive. Let's now go back to the matter at hand and discuss the poll results here: http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...m=207746&#post207746
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Mblue
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:32:07 PM

I don't agree or disagree with the opinion poll, but may i ask, is there anyone who has ever been interviewed in those polls? I've never heard of any...
"..one is only poor only if they choose to be.."-Dolly Partron
johnnjuguna
#26 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:52:55 PM

Mblue wrote:
I don't agree or disagree with the opinion poll, but may i ask, is there anyone who has ever been interviewed in those polls? I've never heard of any...

I once heard someone say he saw a TNS or Synovate car pass him somewhere on the way to a place that only they know. I've also never seen a single one of them. Not even once.
segemia
#27 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:03:13 PM

Mblue wrote:

Simple mathematics:

The sample size is usually about 2000 people.

Out of a population of about 20,000,000 adults.

Probability that they will interview you is 2000/20,000,000 = 0.0001.

At this rate you might never be interviewed in your lifetime..Pole sana ndugu
Mblue
#28 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:23:01 PM

segemia wrote:
Mblue wrote:

Simple mathematics:

At least i could have heard of one close friend or relative who has been interviewed..
"..one is only poor only if they choose to be.."-Dolly Partron
johnnjuguna
#29 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:28:45 PM

segemia wrote:
Mblue wrote:

Simple mathematics:

I can see that you're good with numbers.

What would you say is the the probability of this particular poll being accurate or even true?
McReggae
#30 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:29:25 PM

I was impressed by one Mulwa who has all over a sudden beaten Martha Karua pants down in the polls!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
johnnjuguna
#31 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:40:50 PM

McReggae wrote:
I was impressed by one Mulwa who has all over a sudden beaten Martha Karua pants down in the polls!!!!

The problem with numbers is that there is always that margin of error.

It's like a poison manufacturer having a malfunction in its equipment and a batch of poisons getting the 'un' part of the 'unsafe for human consumption' label omitted.

The machine tells you one thing but deep down you know it's not true.

Adults (sane adults) would never take a sip of the liquid unless they were committing suicide.

The numbers showed that Ben Mulwa was more popular than Martha but if you look at the numbers critically what amount of respondents actually said they would vote for Mulwa? What was the exaxt number using the stats?
segemia
#32 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:46:53 PM

johnnjuguna wrote:
Here is the Media Brief

Link and more to follow.

The report indicates that the findings are within +-3% error range.

The probability of the observations made based on the interviewed sample being accurate is 97% or 0.97.
johnnjuguna
#33 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:53:53 PM

segemia wrote:
johnnjuguna wrote:
Here is the Media Brief

Link and more to follow.

The report indicates that the findings are within +-3% error range.

The probability of the observations made based on the interviewed sample being accurate is 97% or 0.97.

I was referring to any bias on the part of Smart Octopus and not the respondents.

All smart Octopus had to do was go to a location where the Kamba vote was overwhelming meaning that splits in different regions would not be enough to offset any Kamba bias in the results. That's why I think Ben Mulwa showed up.

To know where this poll was conducted we need to know from where Ben Mulwa comes from.
GGK
#34 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:25:42 AM

This octopus guys say they went to all 47 counties.

Actually a sample of 2000 is good enough to determine (with say 95% confidence level) error margin of 2% the sentiments of whole population on a certain issue.

Increasing the sample size does not yield any significant improvement in error margin. The trick is making sure that the sample is random and representative.

Politics aside, when these opinion polls are conducted professionally they can help the candidates fashion their messages to target audience. A candidate can hire the pollsters to determine their appeal to say a certain age group/geographic over and above the national opinion.
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
johnnjuguna
#35 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:54:26 AM

Here is my view on the numbers - Ben Mulwa's case:

2000 respondents obtained form all 47 counties implies that each county had 42.5531914893617 respondents. (42 hereafter) i.e. the figure was obtained after dividing 2000 by 47 (2000/47=42.5531914893617)

To be fully representative you need to go farther and have all constituencies represented.

Certain counties have more constituencies than others and the number of registered voters also differs sharply.

Cosmopolitan areas have a good mix of voters from different ethnic groups whereas other areas have an overwhelming majority of voters from a specific ethnic group.

If a pollster is not biased, he will do the poll by the book. He will factor in voter registration patterns and voter turnout patterns.

The reason for this is simple. An indication that 80% of voters in county A would vote for candidate 1 does not necessarily mean that they are more than 50% of voters in county B voting for candidate 2.

Regions such as North Eastern and Coast have lower populations than smaller more densely populated areas like Nairobi and Central.

80% in Coast or North Eastern could turn out to be 2 million people whereas 50% in Nairobi or Central could turn out to be 3 million people.

This was the main anomaly in the 2007 elections where President Kibaki obtained high numbers from small regions.

The Pollster factored this into his poll but to a minimalistic extent.

Back to Ben Mulwa.

If the pollster due to cost factors decided to make the poll minimalistic he would have sent a single representative of the company to each of the 47 counties but directed that the poll should be conducted in a single location in these counties.

Assuming the researchers had gone to a town like Nakuru which is metropolitan the outcome would be very balanced since such an urban area would have a good mix of different ethnic groups in Kenya.

The same case would differ if the pollster had sent a researcher to a county center such a Kitui where an overwhelming majority would have voted for a particular candidate because of ethnic affiliations.

This would actually make a difference since 42 respondents all from a single region claiming they would vote for a particular candidate would imply that such a candidate gets a more than 2% score in the poll i.e. 42/2000 x 100 = 2.127659574468085% (2.13%)

Ben Mulwa's 4% could have been influenced by a single center voting for him overwhelmingly.

I suspect the particular poll was conducted in his home county where he might have marketed himself beforehand to garner enough support to bring about this result.
bwenyenye
#36 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:04:59 PM

A new research company calling itself ' Smart Octopus'.Made up of young persons and an MD who could not express himself properly? He could not even get himself off the financier question?.... Kweli siasa imepanda bei.. Wacha ikae.
I Think Therefore I Am
KulaRaha
#37 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:25:22 PM

Smart Octopus like that mollusc that "predicted" World Cup football matches??

HILARIOUS! And we're supposed to give such polls credibility??

Foolishness indeed.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
johnnjuguna
#38 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:26:34 PM

In the upcoming months leading to elections we might find several new entrants into the polling field with each claiming that each of the Presidential Aspirants would win the 2012 elections.

That's where we have to dig deeper in the research and find out what the numbers really say. Note what the research says on the fourth page.