wazua Mon, Oct 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Do you think ongeri smokes something?
nesta
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:15:51 PM

simonkabz wrote:
QD are u serious? R u telling us National schøøls hav been the preserve of rich kids fm private schs? U cant b more wrong....Infact I take that as a thinly veiled insult to the poor kids. Its such comments that make Ongeri seem so right!

I think we need to get over this misconception that children in Public schools are poorer than those in private schools. I personally know of a girl who was asked to go to a private school (for free)but who refused and preferred to go to a dusty public school. She came out with 402 marks. I also know another guy who is an assistant director in one of the government ministries, but has never taken his children to private school.And even if we were to agree that these are poor children from disadvantaged families, how will they be able to afford the over KShs. 80,000 that is demanded in many of these National schools?
On Christ Alone
nesta
#22 Posted : Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:24:04 PM

Njore wrote:
Good people. You need to appreciate the fact that the government is working extremely hard to achieve the goal of Education for All (EFA). Today we have 26,666 primary and 6,566 secondary schools. This is no mean achievement compared to five years ago when we had about 4,000 secondary schools. The principle of access and equity is critical. Let us acknowledge the fact that the government is doing a commendable job to address perennial gaps in our education sector. Left unchecked, a child from a poor family will continue to get sidelined and disadvantaged for life. The fact that the government cannot solely afford to provide education opportunities to its citizenry does not warrant private provider to dictate terms. The only fair logic is to apply a formula (using ratios & proportions) to accommodate all our children. When we start comparing our education system with those in Japan and South Korea, we miss the point. These are two different worlds that are totally incompatible.

It is because of the government's unwillingness to provide quality educations to its citizenry that private schools have come up. Now, instead of rewarding these private schools and parents who take their children to private schools, we punish them by saying that the "private provider is dictating terms." Are we really serious?

The government is not unable, it is simply Unwilling. A good case in point is the drug trade in Mombasa. How many times did we hear of the story that the government was unable to fight the drug trade? Now, after Kibaki got angry,hard drugs have suddenly become something too hot to handle. Did the government increase its budgetary allocation to fighting drugs? I doubt.
On Christ Alone