wazua Wed, Jun 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages«<17181920>
Thinking Outside The box (Overseas Investment Series)
PKoli
#361 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:48:09 PM

young wrote:
tonicasert

Unfortunately in property investment I concentrate in Nigeria and Ghana for proximity reasons.

Welcome back Mzee Young. How have the property prices in Ghana responded to the oil boom? along t
young
#362 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2011 12:21:31 PM

My friend Pkoli,

I have not been to ghana for a while I hope to be there in June so iu will keep you posted.
I believe the impact of their oil revenue will be felt as from dec 2011 (1 yr after production).
Lately I was in kamplala last week and concluded CDS account procedure in AA ugander as per your lead. Be aware that Grace (Male) has left AA but Williams is very much around.
My AA portfolio is made of
SBU
NIC
DFCU
NVL
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
PKoli
#363 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2011 2:04:37 PM

young wrote:

My friend Pkoli,

I have not been to ghana for a while I hope to be there in June so iu will keep you posted.
I believe the impact of their oil revenue will be felt as from dec 2011 (1 yr after production).
Lately I was in kamplala last week and concluded CDS account procedure in AA ugander as per your lead. Be aware that Grace (Male) has left AA but Williams is very much around.
My AA portfolio is made of
SBU
NIC
DFCU
NVL

@Mzee Young

That is great and also brave of you to go there when people were threatening to walk.

True Grace left a while ago, but I have spoken to William since.

I liquidated my SBU since I needed money to buy the rights for CIC (trades on OTC) and also increase my shareholding of KCB when it was trading at around 20. I will be back during the last quarter of the year to get some more SBU and DFCU.
young
#364 Posted : Sunday, May 08, 2011 12:14:34 PM

Officials from Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE) will be in Botswana on fact-finding mission at Botswana Stock Exchange (BSE), Botswana Guardian has learnt.

Their visit starts on 10 May 2011.
Before that, the four-member GSE team would also visit Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) in South Africa. It is understood that one of the main reasons for the visit by the GSE officials is that they have been impressed by BSE operations particularly the bourse’s successful listing of a Gold Exchange Traded Fund (ETF).
Last year BSE listed a Gold ETF from Absa (South Africa), making BSE the first African bourse to have a dual listed ETF. GSE is planning to list a Gold ETF in the near future. Gold ETF has had an impressive run at the BSE. Gold ETF traded at P83, 00 when it listed and has recorded an impressive 10% growth to reach P93, 00 at present. The Ghanaian officials would be learning from BSE how they have managed to successfully list and track the ETF.
Next week BSE is also hoping to list Equity related ETF from Nedbank Capital. Product Development Manager, Thapelo Tsheole, confirmed the visit by the GSE next week. “We understand that they want to list a Gold EFT. As a result, they want to benchmark against our listed Gold ETF,” he said. Tsheole could not divulge further details. Ghana is one of the gold producing countries in Africa. Mining industry accounts for 5 % of Ghana’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and minerals make up 37 % of total exports, with gold contributing over 90% of the total mineral exports.
Meanwhile Public Relations Manager at GSE Diana Okine confirmed from Ghana on Wednesday that a team of four officials would be landing in Gaborone next week. “Yes, they will be coming to Botswana on a fact finding mission,” Okine told BG Business. She could not state further details on the matter. GSE has been voted the most innovative stock exchange in Africa for 2010 at the Africa Investor (Ai) prestigious annual Index Series Awards held at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) last September 2010. The Africa Investor Index Series Awards are the only international pan-African awards that recognise and reward Africa’s institutional investors, stock exchanges, best-performing listed companies, stockbrokers and capital market regulators. BSE can also learn a lot from GSE because unlike BSE, it operates as a public limited company. BSE is still to operate autonomously from government. The GSE also has online trading. The BSE is hoping to start online trading this year. Meanwhile the Rwandan Central Bank has also solicited help from BSE regarding Central Securities Depository (CSD) that the bourse introduced a few years ago.
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
QW25071985
#365 Posted : Sunday, May 08, 2011 12:15:57 PM

JP.Morgan . a shoker !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bloomberg.com...rst-quarter-trading.html
alutacontinua
#366 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:12:51 PM

@young I think you deserve an award for all the information you have shared in this thread esp for young upcoming investors. I have been looking at opportunities in investing oversees with a particular interest in australia (the 2nd resource capital of the world) and the asx came into mind. I read this interesting article today:

http://www.businessdaily.../-/plgo7sz/-/index.html

and immediately began doing my research into the firm to find that it is listed on the asx (ASX:BSE) and I was able to download the actual report:

http://www.asx.com.au/as.../pdf/41ymvk12g090br.pdf

Just some highlights I think were worth noting:
• Ore reserve estimate of 140. 6 million tonnes and increase of 20% over the previous reserve with 61% in the “proven” category.
• Ore mining and production to commence July 2013
• Life of Mine (LOM) of between 11-13 years
• Main products: ilmenite, zircon and rutile
• Expected production: ilmenite 3,490.2 kilo tonnes, rutile 884 kilo tonnes and zircon 319.7 kilo tonnes
• Product price assumptions over the entire LOM: Zircon: 2700-1700 US$/t, Ilmenite: 2200-1300US$/t Rutile 1400-1000US$/t.

Here is a look at the share price since it was listed in October 2008 as well as the largest shareholders in the firm.

http://hfgapps.hubb.com/...;vma=0&TimeFrame=M4

Shareholders: HSBC Custody Nominees Australia Ltd 15.64%, JP Morgan Nominees Australia Ltd 8.98 %, HSBC Custody Nominees Australia Ltd 6.69%, National Nominees Ltd 6.48% and JP Morgan Nominees Australia Ltd 3.40%

Numbers don’t lie,looks like the big boys have already positioned themselves.In some of the threads I have read, people are fond of talking about boarding the bus and strappping the seatbelt before departure (SMH) @young @pkoli i would like to hear your opinions on this as well as what you think in regards to investing in this company's shares with a long term outlook.

You dont have to be great to START but you have to start to be GREAT!!!!!!!!
PKoli
#367 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:51:45 PM

@aluta,

You are absolutely correct, Young has been very informative, with his knowledge of World stock performance and special emphasis on resources. After we experienced the PEV, I realized his message was spot on to diversify. He has very good understanding of the Africa market and willing to shares.

He deserves an award.

Kudos Mzee Young.
young
#368 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:21:49 PM

TULLOW OIL DEBUTS IN GHANA STOCK EXCHANGE
British oil producer and major stakeholder in Ghana’s Jubilee oil field, Tullow Oil today announces plans for a secondary listing of its shares on the Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE) and it is offering four million shares in Ghana.

The company in a press release issued Tuesday May 31, 2011 and copied to ghanabusinessnews.com says the offer of its shares on the GSE will give every one in Ghana the opportunity to apply for shares in Tullow and to share in the future performance of its operations across its global portfolio of assets.

“Tullow is fortunate to have played a pivotal role in delivering First Oil from the word-class Jubilee field, offshore Ghana. We would like everyone in Ghana to have the opportunity to invest in the future performance of Tullow, especially as we embark upon further exciting exploration and development activities in Ghana and across our global portfolio,” Tullow’s CEO, Aidan Heavey was cited to have said in the release.

Tullow first made known its intentions to list on both the Ghana and Uganda Stock Exchanges in January 2011. Tullow also has projects in Uganda’s nascent oil sector. The General Manager of Tullow’s Uganda operations, Brian Glover was quoted by the Telegraph newspaper as saying that after discussions with its shareholders, “the idea was welcomed by all
.”

Tullow Oil has increased its stakes in Ghana’s emerging but promising oil sector. Last Thursday May 26, 2011, the company announced that it has entered into a conditional agreement to acquire the interests of EO Group Limited (EO), a Ghanaian owned-oil producer. The shares, Tullow said, consists of EO’s entire interests offshore Ghana, for a combined share and cash consideration of $305 million.

This acquisition, according to Tullow will increase its interest in the West Cape Three Points licence offshore Ghana by 3.5% to 26.4% and increase the Group’s interest in Ghana’s world-class Jubilee oil field, which it operates, by 1.75% to 36.5%.

young
#369 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:21:49 PM

@alutacontinua

These are my observations on the Australian mining company :-

(1) It is a junior mining company and therefore it is prone to cash flow problems so it is not ideal for long term investment.

(2) Titanium is not a popular resource like Copper, Iron Ore, Aluminium,Platinum or Gold.

From my experience if you ar eyeing consistent long term gains, it is ideal to pitch your tent with the big players.

Notable among them are

(a) Diversified Resources:= BHP Biltopn, Rio Tinto BHP.ASX, RIO.ASX respectively

(b) Gold Major :- newcrest Mining Company NCM.ASX

There are other numerous big players not mentioned here.

Junior mining companies can make you laugh with exponential gains and can make you cry with big unforseen losses. I prefer consistent growth.

Regards

Young
young
#370 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 8:31:26 PM

Uganda to begin oil production this year, says Tullow

Uganda is set to start commercial oil production this year, Tullow oil, the company contracted to explore oil in the Albertine grabben, has said.
“We have planned to start extracting small amounts of crude oil which we shall supply to industries for power generation,” Tullow oil’s country manager Brian Glover said while addressing Bunyoro Kitara kingdom officials at the Omukama’s Karuziika Palace in Hoima town early this week.

Mr Glover, who made a presentation to cultural leaders in presence of the Omukama (king), estimated the amount of oil to be produced to be “initially in hundreds of barrels per day” but added that the amounts are bound to increase as production scales up gradually.

Tullow Oil plans to conduct an extended well-testing exercise to determine the flow rate of the various oil fields. The tested crude will be used to generate thermal power in the industries that will purchase it.

Heritage demands Shs964 billion refund in taxes
Mr Glover revealed that Hima Cement factory in Kasese District has expressed interest in utilising the crude oil. The budding oil industry is also expected to increase power generation which will reduce the rampant load shedding which is affecting production, especially in industries.

He revealed that plans are also in advanced stages to start a gas power project at Kabaale station in Buseruka Sub-county. “The 50 megawatt power plant will commence next year,” he added.

The government has proposed the construction of a refinery in Buseruka Sub-county, according to feasibility studies which have been conducted by the Energy ministry.

Refinery completion
Glover said the refinery project is expected to be finalised in three to five years. The company has described the area in Bunyoro where oil has been discovered as a “world class basin”.

The United Kingdom-based firm which has reportedly invested over $800 million in oil and gas exploration since 2001 has enjoyed back- to- back oil discoveries with 37 out of 38 well drilled rich oil reserves.

Although the oil explorers have so far reportedly discovered about a billion barrels of oil, experts foresee the Albertine basin having a potential of up to 2.5 billion barrel of oil.

“Together with our new partners, Total and CNOOC, Tullow is working with government to transform this discovery into a world class development,” Glover said.

Cde Monomotapa
#371 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 2:10:49 PM

young wrote:

Uganda to begin oil production this year, says Tullow

Uganda is set to start commercial oil production this year, Tullow oil, the company contracted to explore oil in the Albertine grabben, has said.
“We have planned to start extracting small amounts of crude oil which we shall supply to industries for power generation,” Tullow oil’s country manager Brian Glover said while addressing Bunyoro Kitara kingdom officials at the Omukama’s Karuziika Palace in Hoima town early this week.

Mr Glover, who made a presentation to cultural leaders in presence of the Omukama (king), estimated the amount of oil to be produced to be “initially in hundreds of barrels per day” but added that the amounts are bound to increase as production scales up gradually.

Tullow Oil plans to conduct an extended well-testing exercise to determine the flow rate of the various oil fields. The tested crude will be used to generate thermal power in the industries that will purchase it.

Heritage demands Shs964 billion refund in taxes
Mr Glover revealed that Hima Cement factory in Kasese District has expressed interest in utilising the crude oil. The budding oil industry is also expected to increase power generation which will reduce the rampant load shedding which is affecting production, especially in industries.

He revealed that plans are also in advanced stages to start a gas power project at Kabaale station in Buseruka Sub-county. “The 50 megawatt power plant will commence next year,” he added.

The government has proposed the construction of a refinery in Buseruka Sub-county, according to feasibility studies which have been conducted by the Energy ministry.

Refinery completion
Glover said the refinery project is expected to be finalised in three to five years. The company has described the area in Bunyoro where oil has been discovered as a “world class basin”.

The United Kingdom-based firm which has reportedly invested over $800 million in oil and gas exploration since 2001 has enjoyed back- to- back oil discoveries with 37 out of 38 well drilled rich oil reserves.

Although the oil explorers have so far reportedly discovered about a billion barrels of oil, experts foresee the Albertine basin having a potential of up to 2.5 billion barrel of oil.

“Together with our new partners, Total and CNOOC, Tullow is working with government to transform this discovery into a world class development,” Glover said.

Amen.
craig
#372 Posted : Monday, June 06, 2011 8:02:55 PM

excellent article young. been trying to venture into all these fields, and lack of information has been quite the challenge..that's why i applaud this article.
young
#373 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 1:55:13 PM

TULLOW OIL GHANA BOURSE IPO INFO

http://www.databankgroup...tial-public-share-offer

young
#374 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:36:32 AM

FOUR WAYS TO POSITION IN GHANA LIQUID ASSET OPPORTUNITIES

1 Open a CDS account to trade directly in
ghana exchange. Make arrangement for dividend
collection.

2 Money market opportunities. Good idea as ghana
currency is strong and will be more
strengthened in years ahead thanks to
ancipitated double digit growth rate.
One of the best products is Mfund

http://www.databankgroup...abank-money-market-fund

3. Equity fund. Here your fund is exposed to
50% ghana market and 50% not less than ten
african stock markets. A good spread indeed.
Check out EPACK.

http://www.databankgroup...m/assetmanagement/epack

4. Balanced fund funds are exposed to 50% Epack
and 50% MFund. Provides a good leverage.

http://www.databankgroup...ank-balanced-fund-bfund

young
#375 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 11:26:05 AM

IMF tips Uganda on infrastructure devt

KAMPALA-Scaling up infrastructure investment will be key to faster economic growth in Uganda, while fiscal and monetary policy need to be adjusted to ensure macro-economic stability, the International Monetary Fund said.

The Washington-based body said generally-sound macro-economic policymaking had helped East Africa’s third largest economy, on the cusp of becoming a significant oil producer, weather the global financial crisis and other external shocks.

“The main challenge facing economic policy-makers at present is to adjust fiscal and monetary policies to safeguard macro-economic stability and rebuild policy buffers, including international reserves,” the IMF said in a statement late on Wednesday.

“Scaling up infrastructure investment will also be key to faster growth over the medium term.”

Uganda targets growth of 7% in the 2011/12 fiscal year. Soaring food and oil prices and a battered local currency drove inflation to 16% in May, mirroring a trend of rising prices across East Africa.

IMF said the Bank of Uganda was committed to tightening its monetary policy stance if price pressures intensified.

Note: Extract fron New Vision Ug
eco
#376 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 12:53:32 PM

Tullow expects to list in Uganda in Q1 2012

UK-based explorer Tullow Oil expects to list its shares on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE) by the end of the first quarter of 2012 after missing an earlier target. Read more here [ http://tinyurl.com/6xrgvna ]
young
#377 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 4:14:42 PM

eco wrote:
Tullow expects to list in Uganda in Q1 2012

UK-based explorer Tullow Oil expects to list its shares on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE) by the end of the first quarter of 2012 after missing an earlier target. Read more here [ http://tinyurl.com/6xrgvna ]

Thanks for the info. Tullow recently concluded listing in Ghana bourse.
young
#378 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:41:51 PM

Ecobank is a success story in Africa.

One wonders what business does west african bank have to do in East Africa(Kenya, Uganda), southern Africa (RSA, Botswana, Namibia) ?
I believe the answer lies in the fact that Ecobank as a regional bank is thinking outside the box (west africa) to grow her profits.

Read Further :-

http://www.businessdaily.../-/iflp24z/-/index.html
young
#379 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 6:32:24 PM

DATABANK OF GHANA EPACK MUTUAL FUND END YEAR 2010 REPORT

http://www.databankgroup...ACK%20REPORT%202010.pdf
young
#380 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 7:07:39 PM

DATABANK OF GHANA MFUND MUTUAL FUND END YEAR 2010 REPORT

http://www.databankgroup...UND%20REPORT%202010.pdf