wazua Sun, Sep 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages«<1011121314>»
Harambee Stars
mwenza
#221 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 3:02:33 PM

nakujua wrote:
but is it really about the youth system it certainly plays a role but why don't we see Mali and Nigeria doing well at the senior world cup, I think their under 17 teams are always at the top of the world.

I am sure England must have some crazy youth facilities, I think its more in discovering willing talent, and that needs a search all over the country, not specific areas.

Never trust the West Africans when it comes to those age group competitions. More often than not the age indicated on the birth certificate is never authentic.
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
Alba
#222 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 3:46:38 PM

TAZ wrote:

MYSA is the largest youth sports organization in Africa with over 1000 teams and 14,000 players. They have leagues from age 10 to 18 years and they regularly participate in the largest youth football tournament in the world (Norway Cup) which they've actually won a couple of times. A huge number of the players we have are products of MYSA.

What we need is to support such initiatives and encourage clubs such as Gor, AFC, Tusker etc to have similar youth systems.

I am sorry but MYSA is a joke that has been perpetrated on Kenyans for more than 25 years now. MYSA has produced very few good players in the past few years and no MYSA product has succeeded in Europe.

The best measure of a succesful youth systems is whether your products succeed when they attend trials in Europe. MYSA has an abysmal record in this regard. This means they are doing a shoddy job of developing players.

Norway cup is a backyard tournament where MYSA teams play against teams made of kids from rich families. They do not go there to play the Manchester United U15 team or even the Ipswich town U12 team. They play against kids who just play for leisure.

Having youth leagues is good but it is not the issue. The key is to have structured youth development where coaches impart proper technique and tactical awareness to young players. Some things can only be learned when you are young.

As an example, if a child is forced to use their left foot when they 6 or 7 years old, then by the time they are 18, using their left foot will be completely natural. It becomes part of your muscle memory.

Alba
#223 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 3:52:05 PM

nakujua wrote:
but is it really about the youth system it certainly plays a role but why don't we see Mali and Nigeria doing well at the senior world cup, I think their under 17 teams are always at the top of the world.

I am sure England must have some crazy youth facilities, I think its more in discovering willing talent, and that needs a search all over the country, not specific areas.

1. Many Nigerian players are over-age. The legendary Philip Osondu who was named as the next Pele was 25 when he played in a U17 tournament. Not much has changed today.

2. Nigeria does indeed have better youth structures than Kenya. But their youth structures pale in comparison to France, Spain, Holland, Germany , Brazil etc.

In Germany for example, every team in the 1st and 2nd tier have youth teams from U12, U14, U17 and U19. This means no talent will fall through the cracks. The German federation also regularly monitors and performs quality assurance on all the youth programs.

Read how Germany went from bust to boom by investing in youth development

Alba
#224 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 4:00:04 PM

TAZ wrote:
[quote=Alba]@kaka2za

What we need is to support such initiatives and encourage clubs such as Gor, AFC, Tusker etc to have similar youth systems.

Kenyans should be supporting local clubs. But the government can also step in and assist local clubs. Just start by providing the top teams a permanent training ground. Most Kenyan players in the top league do not even have access to a training ground for more than 3 to 4 hours a day.
nakujua
#225 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 4:15:00 PM

Alba wrote:
TAZ wrote:

MYSA is the largest youth sports organization in Africa with over 1000 teams and 14,000 players. They have leagues from age 10 to 18 years and they regularly participate in the largest youth football tournament in the world (Norway Cup) which they've actually won a couple of times. A huge number of the players we have are products of MYSA.

I am sorry but MYSA is a joke that has been perpetrated on Kenyans for more than 25 years now. MYSA has produced very few good players in the past few years and no MYSA product has succeeded in Europe.

The best measure of a succesful youth systems is whether your products succeed when they attend trials in Europe. MYSA has an abysmal record in this regard. This means they are doing a shoddy job of developing players.

Norway cup is a backyard tournament where MYSA teams play against teams made of kids from rich families. They do not go there to play the Manchester United U15 team or even the Ipswich town U12 team. They play against kids who just play for leisure.

Having youth leagues is good but it is not the issue. The key is to have structured youth development where coaches impart proper technique and tactical awareness to young players. Some things can only be learned when you are young.

As an example, if a child is forced to use their left foot when they 6 or 7 years old, then by the time they are 18, using their left foot will be completely natural. It becomes part of your muscle memory.

Then we need to go back to Kamkunji high school and study what they do - it might be a coincidence, but the biggest names in kenya football passed huko. I remember when I still had the strength to kick around a ball, in the late 90's and possible earlier it was said that them and ofafa admitted some students for their footballing prowess.

Which I think is a good thing that should be adopted by other high schools especially the national school, since thats where as a country of 40m, we have found prudent to dump all the resources - a stupid thing that we seem comfortable with.
nakujua
#226 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 4:17:20 PM

Alba wrote:
TAZ wrote:
[quote=Alba]@kaka2za

Kenyans should be supporting local clubs. But the government can also step in and assist local clubs. Just start by providing the top teams a permanent training ground. Most Kenyan players in the top league do not even have access to a training ground for more than 3 to 4 hours a day.

Sep Blatter and his cronies refused hiyo mambo ya government in football. It the government were to even glance towards football - that would be an immediate ban.
TAZ
#227 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 4:21:03 PM

Alba wrote:

Oliech, Mariga, Jamal Mohammed, Robert Mambo, Mulama brothers and many other former Kenya internationals are products of MYSA. I don't think some of them would have made it without the MYSA leagues.....most of them actually joined MYSA when they were about 11-13 yrs old.

Ivory Coast's Asec Mimosas youth system has produced the likes of Yaya Toure, Kolo, Kalou, Gervinho and many others. Kenya Premier league clubs should be encouraged to incorporate youth development systems and academies. Apart from MYSA I think Thika Utd also have a decent youth system funded by Brookside.

Some of our teams sign young players then promote them to the senior level too quickly because they don't have a youth dev set-up.
Alba
#228 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 4:36:43 PM

nakujua wrote:

Then we need to go back to Kamkunji high school and study what they do - it might be a coincidence, but the biggest names in kenya football passed huko. I remember when I still had the strength to kick around a ball, in the late 90's and possible earlier it was said that them and ofafa admitted some students for their footballing prowess.

Which I think is a good thing that should be adopted by other high schools especially the national school, since thats where as a country of 40m, we have found prudent to dump all the resources - a stupid thing that we seem comfortable with.

Kamkunji simply recruited the best players available.

Dennis Oliech is an exceptional player. He had what I would classify as sprinter speed. They say when he was young, he could run 100m in 10.5 sec. In fact at one point he was the fastst player in the FIFA video game.

However Oliech was not fundamentally sound. When he arrived in Europe, the fans and coaches noted that though he was talented, his talents were not refined i.e very raw. His passing and shooting were not accurate as they should be.

If Oliech had attended a decent football academy, then with his talents, he would have become a world class player.

By the way:

Kakamega high is the school that has the most superstars. They did it for the most part by recruiting good players away from other schools.
nakujua
#229 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 4:48:12 PM

Alba wrote:
nakujua wrote:

Kamkunji simply recruited the best players available.

Dennis Oliech is an exceptional player. He had what I would classify as sprinter speed. They say when he was young, he could run 100m in 10.5 sec. In fact at one point he was the fastst player in the FIFA video game.

However Oliech was not fundamentally sound. When he arrived in Europe, the fans and coaches noted that though he was talented, his talents were not refined i.e very raw. His passing and shooting were not accurate as they should be.

If Oliech had attended a decent football academy, then with his talents, he would have become a world class player.

By the way:

Kakamega high is the school that has the most superstars. They did it for the most part by recruiting good players away from other schools.

I think we really need to look at improving the high school football system then, maybe have a season long league at the high school level, not the term games that they do - have a proper high school league - like they do in the states for their football.

Then carry the same to college/universities - in kenya kids are under pressure to be in school and perform, so initiatives like mysa or club youth teams might not work well since the teenagers are in boarding schools for the better part of the year.
TAZ
#230 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 4:52:26 PM

Perhaps we should think of engaging someone like Peter Orero (Upper Hill Principal) who has tapped and nurtured many top footballers. He's the one who brought Oliech, Mariga, Jerry Santos, Patrick Oboya, Jamal Mohamed, Geoffrey Kokoyo to Kamukunji Secondary School. He has now turned Upper Hill school into Nairobi's football champions and they are also one of the best in basketball.
nakujua
#231 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 5:13:20 PM

enyewe basic investment is needed, I remember when I went to high school I had really never played with the 'kidu' the proper air ball - my friends and I had literally developed skills around the paperbag/makongo ball, and some were very good at it - but controlling and working with the makongo ball is very different to working with the 'kidu'.

The first time the 'kidu' was thrown at me was a horrible experience, stopping it was crazy and even hitting it was worse - leave alone trying to dribble around with it, the makongo ball was easier to control and hit hard, chenga was also easier.

But the worst thing is that the mysa kids managed to get into the school team with ease since they could handle the 'kidu' better, and for my friends and I, that was the end of our illustrious makongo ball career - starting from scratch with the 'kidu', alongside the ridicule from the mysa kids proved too hard to take.
Alba
#232 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 5:25:39 PM

TAZ wrote:

Oliech, Mariga, Jamal Mohammed, Robert Mambo, Mulama brothers and many other former Kenya internationals are products of MYSA. I don't think some of them would have made it without the MYSA leagues.....most of them actually joined MYSA when they were about 11-13 yrs old.

I stand corrected on whether MYSA products have succeeded in Europe however note the following:

1. Oliech played for Dagoretti Santos during his youth years. He was recruited by Mathare to play for the senior team when he was well established. He was also recruited and played for Kakamega high as well as Kamkunji so calling him a MYSA product is tenuous

2. Jamal Mohamed hardly succeeded in Europe. He played for second tier Swedish side for 2 years which is a good achievement but is hardly a succesful career.

3. Robert Mambo is a product of Mombasa so I doubt he played for MYSA

One MYSA product who has actually succeeded in Europe is Arnold Origi.

However if as you say there are thousands of players who have been through MYSA then there should be a lot more MYSA players in Europe. The fact that there are only a handful means MYSA is failing to produce quality players. In fact Kakamega high has had a lot more success than MYSA when it comes to producing quality players.
Alba
#233 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 5:27:55 PM

nakujua wrote:
Alba wrote:
TAZ wrote:
[quote=Alba]@kaka2za

Sep Blatter and his cronies refused hiyo mambo ya government in football. It the government were to even glance towards football - that would be an immediate ban.

FIFA does not forbid governments from financially supporting clubs. In fact in Nigeria, many of the top teams like Heartland and Enyimba are funded by state governments.
nakujua
#234 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 5:40:29 PM

Alba wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Alba wrote:
TAZ wrote:
[quote=Alba]@kaka2za

FIFA does not forbid governments from financially supporting clubs. In fact in Nigeria, many of the top teams like Heartland and Enyimba are funded by state governments.

True, the government thing applies to the national team, and the national football associations, otherwise I think fifa has no issue - if the government decided to have its own team in the league.

But I think even in Kenya, through parastatals and the police/military teams the government contributes towards the same in some way.

But in Kenya you definitely need the government support through out even to the national team, but our eating mentality means the government can not just give money, if they pump in lots of cash then they need to question the running of the same, when they ingilia hapo the ban comes pap.
kaka2za
#235 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 6:02:43 PM

The youth system has not delivered the expected results. It has failed spectacularly in England in particular. It would be difficult to name players in the top 10 EPL teams who are products of the youth system.It worked in Ajax but has not been replicated elsewhere.
A trend is emerging in which youth prodigies are falling by the way side and and players are coming of age quite late in the careers. Did anybody know of Drogba in his youth days?

http://www.just-football...dy-adu-martin-odegaard/

Meanwhile...

http://mobile.nation.co....ml/-/84saye/-/index.html
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
TAZ
#236 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 8:19:58 PM

Alba wrote:
TAZ wrote:

I stand corrected on whether MYSA products have succeeded in Europe however note the following:

1. Oliech played for Dagoretti Santos during his youth years. He was recruited by Mathare to play for the senior team when he was well established. He was also recruited and played for Kakamega high as well as Kamkunji so calling him a MYSA product is tenuous

2. Jamal Mohamed hardly succeeded in Europe. He played for second tier Swedish side for 2 years which is a good achievement but is hardly a succesful career.

3. Robert Mambo is a product of Mombasa so I doubt he played for MYSA

One MYSA product who has actually succeeded in Europe is Arnold Origi.

However if as you say there are thousands of players who have been through MYSA then there should be a lot more MYSA players in Europe. The fact that there are only a handful means MYSA is failing to produce quality players. In fact Kakamega high has had a lot more success than MYSA when it comes to producing quality players.

C'mon Alba, hata wewe unajua these schools recruit talented players to play for them in school tournaments...very few are actual products of the school. Btw the players who went through the MYSA were still students so they obviously featured for their respective schools during school tournaments.

In my opinion we need to support academies like MYSA because clearly no one else seems interested in youth development. Btw what most people don't get about MYSA is that its not a football club, they have so many leagues (different age groups) where teams from across the county participate.
Alba
#237 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 8:22:29 PM

TAZ wrote:

Ivory Coast's Asec Mimosas youth system has produced the likes of Yaya Toure, Kolo, Kalou, Gervinho and many others. Kenya Premier league clubs should be encouraged to incorporate youth development systems and academies. Apart from MYSA I think Thika Utd also have a decent youth system funded by Brookside.

Some of our teams sign young players then promote them to the senior level too quickly because they don't have a youth dev set-up.

The mark of a good youth system is whether or not their players can succeed in Europe and whether they are fundamentally sound. In this regard ASEC Mimosas has been a smashing success.

I would say that Oliech succeeded in Europe mainly because of raw talent. His fundamentals were very poor.

Oboya is another who though very talented, was too raw. Oboya for example cannot use his right foot at all.

Most Kenyans who go to Europe for trials, end up failing trials to their inability to do basic things like cross the ball with their weaker foot, make accurate passes, or head accurately or their positional sense.

And being Kenyan does not help because coaches in Europe automatically think that Kenyans are only good at running marathons.
Alba
#238 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 8:27:06 PM

TAZ wrote:

C'mon Alba, hata wewe unajua these schools recruit talented players to play for them in school tournaments...very few are actual products of the school. Btw the players who went through the MYSA were still students so they obviously featured for their respective schools during school tournaments.

In my opinion we need to support academies like MYSA because clearly no one else seems interested in youth development. Btw what most people don't get about MYSA is that its not a football club, they have so many leagues (different age groups) where teams from across the county participate.

I agree we need to support MYSA.
But how many of these players actually went to MYSA at age 11 and graduated through the MYSA system? Oliech is not one of them. He went to Mathare United when he was well known.

Perhaps the Mulama bros are true MYSA products as is Arnold Origi.

And I wonder : When was the last time a MYSA product even went to Europe?

I support MYSA but I don't think they have been much of a success as people claim. If it is true that 14,000 players have passed through MYSA then they should have a lot more players in Europe. They should study what they are doing wrong.
harrydre
#239 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 8:32:32 PM

Have they left yet? We are a bunch of jokers!!
i.am.back!!!!
TAZ
#240 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 8:39:36 PM

[quote=kaka2za]The youth system has not delivered the expected results. It has failed spectacularly in England in particular. It would be difficult to name players in the top 10 EPL teams who are products of the youth system.It worked in Ajax but has not been replicated elsewhere.
A trend is emerging in which youth prodigies are falling by the way side and and players are coming of age quite late in the careers. Did anybody know of Drogba in his youth days?

http://www.just-football...dy-adu-martin-odegaard/

Meanwhile...

http://mobile.nation.co....l/-/84saye/-/index.html[/quote]

The problem with the youth system in Europe is that whenever a 15 or 16 year old shows potential they are hyped and handed a huge contract by one of the big teams, next thing you know they are thrown straight into the senior team. When these kids fail to perform in a couple of games they are branded flops and shipped out on loan......this definitely affects their confidence. Take a look at Chelsea how many young players do they have out on loan, some of them were hyped as the next big thing.