wazua Sun, Sep 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
25 Years of Kalonzo wa Musyoka as a "servant leader"
www.eastafricanized.com
#1 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 10:12:21 AM

To have served that long the VP does have some good indicators on his performance record as a "servant leader".
He played a critical role in peace negotiations under the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (Igad) when he was Foreign minister as well as establishing and maintaining bilateral and multilateral relations with many countries..
He has also headed the ministries of Education, Environment, among others. That is surely a reason to celebrate.

He is also currently among the youthful and educated leaders that Kenyans look upon for sobriety.

However, do the people of Mwingi have a reason to count their blessings as a result of such a prominent person representing them.

Better still do all members of parliament who have had a long stint in parliament have a reason to celebrate with their constituents?

Should we have a limit on how long an individual can remain a leader before giving way to others?

Follow this link for more news and shopping deals
mkono_gum
#2 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 10:25:26 AM

A Mwingi ciizen would be best placed to tell us if they are happy with him as the MP. Though I have some reservations on celebrating for being a long serving MP
Fundaah
#3 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 10:47:41 AM

I heard him talk of coal mining in the celebrations ...yes TALK...

Tsekuru residents walk long distances to get water ....are perennial food relief recipients....http://www.soqko.com/forum/society/society-and-culture/kalonzo-musyoka-25-years-success-or-fail
They have large tracts of land in which dams can be constructed for water harvesting ..for irrigation....

http://www.youtube.com/w...p;feature=youtube_gdata

In terms of development ...Charity Ngilu ....has perfomed better than Kalonzo .....

The upside of Kalonzo is that he has kept his name away from the mega-scandals that have hit this country ...to 'Mr Clean'.... this could be a reason for his n celebration...
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
the sage
#4 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 12:41:06 PM

But he is conniving, he joined an alliance with President knowing vey well that the results were questionable. Prior to that, he defected from ODM after realising that Raila Odinga was the popular choice.
Kalonzo, IMHO, is a not a self-made leader but was spruced for the job by the former president.
To be honest, he has never been adversely mentioned in corruption which is good but he is just a chip of the old ruling elite.
B.Timer
#5 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 1:05:01 PM

@Sage
Kalonzo didn’t defect, it's Raila and Co who defected and organized to buy off one Imanyara's interest in ODM, which he had registered immediately after the referendum for speculative purposes – paid off handsomely.
Dunia ni msongamano..
Intelligentsia
#6 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 1:15:06 PM

[quote=www.eastafricanized.com]
...Should we have a limit on how long an individual can remain a leader before giving way to others?

Of course there should be a limit just like presidential ones. Max 2 terms, with flexibility for voters to invoke the recall clause should need arise.
The raison d'tre is that if you cannot add value to ur constituency within those 10 years then there's no guarantee u can do so even if availed further terms - you have basically no business being in power & indeed your continued stay exacts a heavy opportunity cost to your constituency in terms of lost developmental opportunities. You should clearly pave way for another person chap chap.
Letting the Mpigs stay for too long even when its clear they are non-performers enables them to entrench their roots within he constituency's business elite, the local provincial administration, the electorate, the clergy and all manner of interest groups such that getting rid of the bozzo becomes impossible. That's why for > 40 yrs u still hear of kibaki,MO1,Moody,etc.and yet their constituencies are not necessarily developed.

Ngalaka
#7 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 2:05:14 PM

It pains me to endure supposedly well informed people, reading from the same script as the hoi polloi.

The sense of having an MP is - representation in parliament (legislature),– read legislation.
The duty of developing the country (all constituencies) is bestowed on the Govt. which collects tax from the citizens and other residents within its boundaries.

A non corrupt MP has very limited legitimate way of sponsoring development in his/her constituency.
From this wisdom, which I find warped, Ngilu, who is not reputed for her abhorrence of corruption, would be thought to be a better MP!
I compare that line of thought, to a careless parent who unquestioningly enjoys his/her sons fruits gotten from Ngeta and/or car-jacking escapades.

I would understant if we were calling upon an MP to mobilize the people to work for themselves to better their lot, or beg from some international benefactors, that they give some grants of sorts to help constituents.

Mwingi north is a semi arid area, and very vast as a constituency. An MP, however “development conscious” can only bring about some very little tangible impact in effecting any significant change, in the infrasctural and economic status of such an area.

Surely, blaming someone over climate and its effects can only be attributed to hatred and contempt.
Using that line of thought, then all the MPs of North Eastern Kenya, Coast and Turkana- pokot areas are very bad.

While at it, show me one Mp who has developed his/her vast constituency, without using undue influence (corruption). Don’t cite independent govt effort, or other NGO efforts like the Mathare 4A, and Kibera slum upgrading exercise.

Demanding of our MPs to delve in corruption to bring us “development”, on the one hand, while perennially whining over the harm corruption is doing to the greater good of the country, is not only contradictory, but also hypocritical.

Kalonzo has his short-comings as a person, but failing to develop a constituency is not one of them.

Celebrating 25years on the job is a natural thing just like people celebrate their birthdays, marriage etc.

Come on people

Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu
Njung'e
#8 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 2:18:14 PM

@EAfricanised,

His constituency still sits on some of the best coal to be found in the whole world.Not to forget that Ukambani is home to millions of tons of high quality pozzolanite and gypsum,the key components for manufacture of cement.Forget i said that,he can't even agree with Ngilu on the simple matter of a dam which was completed long time ago yet residents can't use it's water......Compare that with TZ's new find of Uranium.Mining starts in 3 years,yet prospecting for the same started long after we knew there was coal in Mui basin....Don't worry,the world is at a standstill and waiting on Kenyans......Nipe Tusker baridi and let's continue celebrating.....Bure kabisa!!!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Seeders
#9 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 2:23:33 PM

railaholics have never forgiven kalonzo for not giving them a landslide victory.

the sage wrote:
But he is conniving, he joined an alliance with President knowing vey well that the results were questionable. Prior to that, he defected from ODM after realising that Raila Odinga was the popular choice.

Fundaah
#10 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 2:55:48 PM

Ngalaka wrote:

Mwingi north is a semi arid area and vast as a constituency. An MP, however “development conscious” can do very little tangible impact in effecting significant change, in the economic status of such an area.

Tell that to the goatsShame on you ....Israel is a desert ....

Dams can be constructed in the Vast land to harvest rain water which drains to the seas....

Kalonzo is the VP of the Government....which other governemnt should be blamed .....if in the government he is serving he cannot influence resources to be channelled to his constitution ...not through corruption but concrete proposals and FOLLOW UPS ..Naggings if I may use the word ....to ensure a resource ....ie coal which can benefit the country and the whole world . at large..is explored....
Leadership is required and not necessarily corruption ...to ensure that the coal is mined ...and Kalonzo is the grassroot leader in the coal basin .....who does he expect from outside to push for the mining ?
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
gathinga
#11 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 3:18:03 PM

Fundaah wrote:
Ngalaka wrote:

Mwingi north is a semi arid area and vast as a constituency. An MP, however “development conscious” can do very little tangible impact in effecting significant change, in the economic status of such an area.

Tell that to the goatsShame on you ....Israel is a desert ....

Dams can be constructed in the Vast land to harvest rain water which drains to the seas....

Kalonzo is the VP of the Government....which other governemnt should be blamed .....if in the government he is serving he cannot influence resources to be channelled to his constitution ...not through corruption but concrete proposals and FOLLOW UPS ..Naggings if I may use the word ....to ensure a resource ....ie coal which can benefit the country and the whole world . at large..is explored....
Leadership is required and not necessarily corruption ...to ensure that the coal is mined ...and Kalonzo is the grassroots leader in the coal basin .....who does he expect from outside to push for the mining ?

The argument that elected leaders should not be expected to spearhead development is a fallacy. Indeed they are expected to lobby within government and other agencies for resources as well as provide leadership to their people, in matters of development.

Tuju and Peter Keneth are good examples of legislators who have provided positive leadership to harness local resources for development.

In the 6 years or so that Kiraitu Murungi has been minister in govt, his constituency and the larger Meru has become the national epitome of good roads and electrical infrastructure. He lobbied (blackmailed) to get it!

Musyoka has been a powerful minister for more than 20 yrs during which the only constant has been perennial hunger of his constituents and the greater Kamba areas.....shindwe. Bure Kabisa...

Ngilu has managed to build some dam in the few years she has presided over the water ministry(Musyoka would love us to believe otherwise)

again Kalonzo bure kabisa

Njung'e
#12 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 3:21:09 PM

Ngalaka wrote:

The sense of having an MP is - representation in parliament (legislature),– read legislation.
The duty of developing the country (all constituencies) is bestowed on the Govt. which collects tax from the citizens and other residents within its boundaries.

My square nose!!!.....But the same elected Mpigs with such a narrow agenda in parliament do go begging for food,water and other small issues on behalf of their constituents?.....We are all bound to be beggars til kingdom come unless this Mpigs move from facilitating alms to providing fish rods and nets!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Ngalaka
#13 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 3:47:22 PM

To belabour the point!

My post above is comprehensive;
That an MP can variously try
1)Begging from wellwishers, 2)Mobilize the constituents, 3)try legitimate lobbying within govt, etc amongst other small time efforts.

That is hardly enough to bring about change in a vast and semo arid constituency.

Talk of drop in the ocean.

Tuju's and Keneth's constituencies are mere villages (in size -land area) compared to Mwingi north.
Neither are they Arid with the attendant challenges.
Again Tuju used his international contacts to achieve most of the projects medical camps et al.
In such a case one doesnt have to be an MP to assist the down trodden.
I dare repeat the principle duty of an MP is to represent constituents in the legislature.

Invoking the development status of Israel vis a vis Mwingi north is... - something else.
And by the way it took the govt in Israel to so develop the country not an MP.
mkono_gum
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:10:48 AM

@ Ngalaka kubali umeshidwa in this debate, NEXT...
gadj
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:01:52 AM

When you elect somebody to parliament you need to elect a leader who understands the problems of the mashinani people and can come up with tangible solutions, this is the area that Kalonzo fails in. For him to coin the phrase of servant leadership is wrong, it doesnt show in his character towards assisting the down trodden. He needs to fold his sleeves and get down to work.
Intelligentsia
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:39:18 AM

Seriously though, why do pips have an issue with Olonzo?
I neither like nor dislike him. Am indifferent. Am trying to look at it critically 2 c what are his failures and all this vitriol keeps coming from that issue of not supporting RAO in 2007. Really. Nothing else against the guy - he's after all squeeky scandal-clean in a fetid cesspool of corruption all round him. Big deal he didn't support RAO at that time but at least it got him a VP post in the govt, and for a politician I reckon thats plum and is only a heartbeat away from the preisdency he sought. And who knows where he might have gotten if he'd supported RAO! Most likely at the bottom of the food chain what with all those deputies, pentagon, regional cheiftains,etc to reward with govt positions!!
I don't hold brief for him - but I like understanding precisely why i need to dismiss someone. And such reasons need to be concrete. Ther's a dearth of that here. About Mwingi - so his pips are poor - big deal the whole country is anyway thats why we are classified 3rd world, remember huh? Maybe he's just a victim of the structural failure of the architecture of our development infrastructure. Maybe.
In any case can u name just 5 MPigs who have transformed their constituencies from rags-to riches wealth-generating ones? Feel free in searching for this 5, and I'll be generous enough to give u the period starting all the way from 1963. Utaumia.
The biggest blunder we have made over the years is trying to personalise/tie development activities to indivs (read MPigs) rather than institutionalise same.
Ngalaka
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:25:52 PM

@Intelligentsia
Thanks for tapping onto your rational side, and breaking ranks with mob/populist thinking, a virtue that seems to be in short supply here.

Lest we blur the line, I am no Kalonzo die hard nor am I sensitive to his reasoned criticism. In fact I quite often find fault in his deeds and utterances and find myself cursing him.

What riles me is when people here, motivated by other consideration, or too lazy to look at issues objectively, heap all manner of blame on the fellow most of it devoid of any substance.
You are quite on mark that, - one would need to quite scratch their head to come up with 5 Mps who have turned their constituencies’ fortunes around.

In any case a valid question here would be - using whose funds to achieve the development?

-Own funds!
-Grants from philanthropy!
-Skewing Govt kitty to favour ones constituency!!!!!!

Most people don’t seem to have a problem the latter! - That perplexes me!

Come to think of it, MPs are human like all of us, - suppose you, I mean you are elected to represent Laisamis in Marsabit, give us a rough blue print of how you would move to turn it around.
Budget estimates, time frame, source of funds etc.
Let’s stop pontificating from the comfort of our arm chairs in big cities.

Someone...

kadonye
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:58:52 AM

@Ngalaka, you are one great Kenyan!Applause

I too get tired of hearing people say that their MPs are not developing infrastructure. They are legislators i.e people whose mandate is to legislate(make laws) and participate in national decision making e.g passing budgets.

We lost it as a nation when we got the notion that MPs only duty is to make roads and construct new schools.This has given us the big current mess we are in coz we vote in millionaires n billionaires who are mostly wazees who've stolen amounts big enough to meet our demands.

Then the vicious cycle...we elect the corrupt-rich, they share the spoils with us.We idolise them and encourage ourselves to be rich as they are(without minding how, the end justifies the means).We steal and hope that we won't get caught as others are caught as we complain that our leaders are corrupt.

And we become one big complaining nation.we thinkour leaders are pigs(we call them MPIGS) and THEY KNOW WE ARE PIGS(we eat their leftoversShame on you

What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
kadonye
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:06:03 AM

I often wonder, in UK or US would they gauge an MP by our standards or by the quality of debate in the legislature?

Do we ever check how our MPs vote in various issues in Parliament?

The 210 MPs are there coz all 40million Kenyans cannot be entrusted with the task of legislating and have to choose 1 among them to trepresent them in the decision making
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
Fundaah
#20 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:16:35 AM

To the defenders of Kalonzo.. ..I also challenge you to name one development/reform minded bill.. which the 3rd longest serving Mp aka Mr. clean has brought in the floor of the House ?......given the experience he has in parliament....