wazua Fri, Sep 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
When did Apple overtake Microsoft ?
FRM2011
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:41:29 PM

Am looking at the current edition of the fortune magazine and I can't believe Apple are way ahead of giants like Microsoft,Boeing, co-cacola, Time- warner, Google, Morgan stanley ..............

$65bn in revenues and $14bn in profits making them the 8th largest US corporation.

Then I remembered a story in the papers two weeks ago about a teenager in China who sold his kidney to buy an I-pad.
KenyanLyrics
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:27:06 PM

Remember this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOp5mBY9IY

LOL

Apple took the lead when they trained their focus on mobile devices, which are the future of personal computing.
Sure
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:55:47 AM

FRM2011 wrote:
Am looking at the current edition of the fortune magazine and I can't believe Apple are way ahead of giants like Microsoft,Boeing, co-cacola, Time- warner, Google, Morgan stanley ..............

$65bn in revenues and $14bn in profits making them the 8th largest US corporation. And the war is not over yet. Bill Gates stole Steve Jobs innovation. Gates will one day cry in the toilet. Nokia will face the fate sooner than later. When you use unethical means to make a profit, you are destined to die a painful death. It is not about releases a product first, it is about your staying power in innovation. Gates has always been a dander head and when icloud finally hits the dock, microsoft office will only be good for calculators.

Then I remembered a story in the papers two weeks ago about a teenager in China who sold his kidney to buy an I-pad.

Wisdom to detect when share prices hit rock bottom.
When interest on bonds keep going up, you know the bear run is on high street. When interest on bonds start leveling, the bear has met the bull and they have hit rock bottom. When the interest rates on bonds start coming down, the bull has overpowered the bear and you better be riding the bull.
Sure
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:09:13 AM

Sure wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

$65bn in revenues and $14bn in profits making them the 8th largest US corporation. And the war is not over yet. Bill Gates stole Steve Jobs innovation. Gates will one day cry in the toilet. Nokia will face the fate sooner than later. When you use unethical means to make a profit, you are destined to die a painful death. It is not about releases a product first, it is about your staying power in innovation. Gates has always been a dander head and when icloud finally hits the dock, microsoft office will only be good for calculators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im589uTchKs
Wisdom to detect when share prices hit rock bottom.
When interest on bonds keep going up, you know the bear run is on high street. When interest on bonds start leveling, the bear has met the bull and they have hit rock bottom. When the interest rates on bonds start coming down, the bull has overpowered the bear and you better be riding the bull.
KulaRaha
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:13:28 AM

Apple overtook Microsoft because Apple manages/controls the hardware AND the software.

Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
dunkang
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:59:31 PM

Apple overtook all of them when they realise the importance of the following proverb/saying;

'An Apple a day, Keeps your KIDNEY away'.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

customer
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:03:40 AM

There is a saying regarding Microsoft poor marketing Strategy that says that: "If Microsoft was in charge of marketing procreation we would be extinct by now."
I don't want to reach the end of my life and find I just lived the length of it.

I want to find I have lived it's breadth as well.
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:19:45 AM

Apple built a brand that fitted into people's lives creating an almost cult culture around their products to a point where people lined up even in Japan to buy iPads without knowing what they were.
Microsoft just shoves down our throats whatever they want. At this rate oracle will also overtake them. Innovation is the key to survival.

BBI will solve it
:)
accelriskconsult
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:21:02 AM

FRM2011 wrote:

$65bn in revenues and $14bn in profits making them the 8th largest US corporation.

Apple sells sophistication, Microsoft sells universal. the market segments are very different and Apple's is willing to pay more... for a bit more
milken
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:16:53 PM

I was reading HBR's old article on resilence and I was suprised at how rarely big companies are able to read trends and exploit them to their advantage. To summarise, any company that intends to continue being a market leader must:

1. become entirely free of denial,nostalgia, and arrogance. It must be deeply conscious of what's changing and perpetually willing to consider how those changes are likely to affect
its current success.
2.Have the ability to create a plethora of new options as compelling alternatives to dying strategies.
3. be able to divert resources from yesterday's products and programs to tomorrow's. This means building an ability to support a broad portfolio of breakout experiments with the necessary capital and talent.
4.Seek renewal i.e. Renewal becomes continuous and opportunity-driven, rather than episodic and crisis-driven, companies will need to embrace a creed that extends beyond operational excellence and flawless execution.

Additionally an organization needs to identify any new disruptive innovation. (Apples Ipad is increasing eating into the lap top markets thus affeccting Microsoft software business)

Itari muting'oe ihuragwo ngi ni Ngai
rcarter
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:03:05 AM

I am not sure Apple has overtaken Microsoft just yet. Though for the mobile industry, I see Apple taking a bigger market share than microsoft, but that is not really their type of game.

In the corporate world, you would be surprised that a big majority of the field are still on Windows, XP to be more specific, and I do not see that changing anytime soon, unless there would be a meltdown that would cause XP machines to just die. Probably the familiarity or the deeper stretch of users is making them stay.
Querry
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:26:30 AM

milken wrote:
I was reading HBR's old article on resilence and I was suprised at how rarely big companies are able to read trends and exploit them to their advantage. To summarise, any company that intends to continue being a market leader must:

1. become entirely free of denial,nostalgia, and arrogance. It must be deeply conscious of what's changing and perpetually willing to consider how those changes are likely to affect
its current success.
2.Have the ability to create a plethora of new options as compelling alternatives to dying strategies.
3. be able to divert resources from yesterday's products and programs to tomorrow's. This means building an ability to support a broad portfolio of breakout experiments with the necessary capital and talent.
4.Seek renewal i.e. Renewal becomes continuous and opportunity-driven, rather than episodic and crisis-driven, companies will need to embrace a creed that extends beyond operational excellence and flawless execution.

Additionally an organization needs to identify any new disruptive innovation. (Apples Ipad is increasing eating into the lap top markets thus affeccting Microsoft software business)

Applause Applause Applause Applause

Brilliant!

KenyanLyrics
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:08:48 AM

rcarter wrote:
I am not sure Apple has overtaken Microsoft just yet. Though for the mobile industry, I see Apple taking a bigger market share than microsoft, but that is not really their type of game.

In the corporate world, you would be surprised that a big majority of the field are still on Windows, XP to be more specific, and I do not see that changing anytime soon, unless there would be a meltdown that would cause XP machines to just die. Probably the familiarity or the deeper stretch of users is making them stay.

Apple has overtaken Microsoft on all fronts: market cap, revenues and profits. Apple is now the second most valuable company in the world behind Exxon Mobil. Wewe uko nyuma na madesktop zako Laughing out loudly Nowadays it's all about mobile and internet. Apple has a major footprint in all mobile devices that matter(laptops, MP3 players, phones, tablets), and it also has a major footprint online(iTunes). Windows is sooo behind in mobile and internet.
KNM
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:50:22 PM

Kobe kampita Kaka Sungura. Microsoft bado wanalala as Apple are edging them out. They are not as aggressive in development and marketing.

On mobile devices they are losing out to Apple(iPads) and Google's Android(around 50% of smartphone market share).

This shows in their financial results. In fact Apple have even surpassed US govt in terms of cash in hand
Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14340470
The crowd will cheer your coronation as well as your beheading. People like a show, that's all.
kiio
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:50:46 PM

where do you get your information? Microsoft is No 10 with $18,760.0 million and apple is No 20 with $14,013.0 million in profits as in 2010 financial results.My be you are talking about growth of 145.7% in Apple and 28.8% of Microsoft?
“Daring ideas are like chessmen moved forward. They may be beaten, but they may start a winning game.” – Wolfgang Von Goethe .
Drunkard
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:38:01 PM

... Apple is number 35 largest companies in USA, $65billion in revenue cannot make it to top 30, Apple revenue need to grow by 50% to apprx $95billion to make it to top 25 companies in USA. So get the numbers right!
story teller
#17 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:20:01 PM

FRM2011 wrote:

Steve Jobs invented the original Windows operating system and Bill Gates simply ran with it. Steve Jobs is simply a Genius especially in creating a "buzz". People literary line up to buy new Apple products. When the Iphone 4 came out, Apple servers simply crashed coz they could not handle the demand! At this rate, Apple is definitely positioned to become the most valuable corporation in the the U.S bar none in a few short years.He has managed to achieve this by creating an almost foolproof distribution system.

In the second quarter alone, Apple shipped 24 million Iphone 4s' It's Asian markets are expanding a meteoric rate. Most people who buy Apple products consider them a status symbol.
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
KenyanLyrics
#18 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:23:38 PM

Drunkard wrote:
... Apple is number 35 largest companies in USA, $65billion in revenue cannot make it to top 30, Apple revenue need to grow by 50% to apprx $95billion to make it to top 25 companies in USA. So get the numbers right!

http://techcrunch.com/20...apple-microsoft-profit/

http://money.cnn.com/201...arkets/thebuzz/index.htm
Elder
#19 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:31:50 PM

story teller wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Steve Jobs invented the original Windows operating system and Bill Gates simply ran with it. Steve Jobs is simply a Genius especially in creating a "buzz". People literary line up to buy new Apple products. When the Iphone 4 came out, Apple servers simply crashed coz they could not handle the demand! At this rate, Apple is definitely positioned to become the most valuable corporation in the the U.S bar none in a few short years.He has managed to achieve this by creating an almost foolproof distribution system.

In the second quarter alone, Apple shipped 24 million Iphone 4s' It's Asian markets are expanding a meteoric rate. Most people who buy Apple products consider them a status symbol.

Was it the same time Al Gore was inventing the internet? smile
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)
Drunkard
#20 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:36:23 PM

KenyanLyrics wrote:
[quote=Drunkard]... Apple is number 35 largest companies in USA, $65billion in revenue cannot make it to top 30, Apple revenue need to grow by 50% to apprx $95billion to make it to top 25 companies in USA. So get the numbers right!

http://techcrunch.com/20...apple-microsoft-profit/

http://money.cnn.com/201...rkets/thebuzz/index.htm[/quote]

I guess I see where you get the information and Like it is listed clearly Apple will have to grow by $50 billion to get to Exxon, please go through the rankings of 2011 fortune 500 companies and see the list, forget about other people's opinions. Apple is a great company though!