wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

county government: recipe for chaos
selah
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:28:49 AM

I was in Isiolo the other day and the debate over how these counties will be governed ensued and what I heard was disturbing.

1.Isiolo county is predominantly borana with ameru,somalis making the minority tribes the argument was since currently the borana community control the county council with 99% of staff being from that community the new structure will entrench this inequality because the reality on the ground shows the borana community will continue to control the county,senate ,as well as parliamentary seats.

2.How will the minority tribes ensure that equality is maintained without bloodshed?keeping in mind in the 90s their was tribal war in the region.

3.Can the National land commission offer land to the minority tribes which most of the time are viewed as outsiders/foreigners without inflaming passion.
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
msotoville
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:21:42 PM

Tough luck, @Selah!

Methinks that question should have been addressed before August 4th - but with all the green euphoria floating around 'twas kinda impossible innit?

Ah well, c'est la vie!Sad
So nice that its nasty, so bangin' its busting,
So slick that its sick, so dope its disgusting!
chepkel
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:39:43 PM

There is a team that is studying the local governments as we speak. It has already began its work and will soon go round to all the local authorities to assess how the work and write up a report on how best the governance of the counties will be done. One of the members of this team is a very serious person involved in capacity development and has a company that deals with such kinds of issues. He is highly sought in many african countries. Lets hope that they will do a good job and release a comprehensive report. I think the Govt. will thereafter set up a commmission or something for implementation or whatever they Government does to implement something
We have the same problem in Mt. Elgon district which is to join Bungoma county. Mt. Elgon is a small area inhabited by Sabaots but Bungoma belongs to the bukusu and their numbers cannot be compared to the sabaot people. The fear has been (and that is why people in Mt. elgon voted against the proposed constitution) was that they do not stand a chance of representation with the bukusu being the majority.
it is primarily thought that A Governor should not be from the same ethnic group as his running mate and a community cannot hold both the Senator and Governor positions. So if a Sabaot is a Senator the a Bukusu should be allowed to be a Governor with his running mate being a Sabaot etc etc. Dont know how that can work and how it can be implemented but it can be a good plan.
msotoville
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:50:11 PM

@Chepkel

Sounds reasonable.

HOWEVER, consider this!
(A)
Governorship/senatorship will be more lucrative than Bunge with gova channeling resources to mashinani.

(B)
Chances are (if we use CDF and LATF as a bench mark), those funds will be loosely audited thus opening a new chapter of "Its our turn to eat".

(C)
All bills/laws/statutes proposed will require a rubber stamp from bunge (long as I've been a Kenyan, our leaders have never passed a law that screws them).

I'm wondering, will the current crop of politicians actually agree to a status quo that neuters them or their lackeys huko mashinani?

Politics will remain largely TRIBAL, be it county or constituency. Methinks same script, different cast. Same players, different league. Chances are, like the referendum, numbers will carry the day.

Welcome to the green world, baby.

(PSST: Did I hear someone whisper 1 million signatures? smile )
So nice that its nasty, so bangin' its busting,
So slick that its sick, so dope its disgusting!