wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
New Constitution; New Name
mukiha
#1 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 10:31:05 AM

In my memorandum on the "Harmonised Draft Constitution", I suggested [among many other things] that since we are restructuring the country, we should give it a new name.

My view was that the name "KENYA" is meaningless with unconfirmed historical origins. The notion that our country is named after the tallest mountain in the land is a fallacy. The truth is that the mountain is named after the country!!

Any way; have you ever wondered why there is nothing "KenyaN" in Kenya?

We have Kenya shillings; instead of KenyaN shillings [as in Ugandan Shillings]

We have Kenya Airways; instead of KenyaN Airways as in Ethiopian Airlines]

Etc

So; could we have suggestions for a new name? I have one that I suggested to the CoE, but I tell you later...
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
aemathenge
#2 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 10:33:51 AM

Fundaah
#3 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 10:50:54 AM

No Not in my lifetime.... lets remain with Kenya....I am proud to be Kenyan Citizen...and content with the name status quo....They can change it after 2100 when most of us will not in the Land of the Living...if they wish ....assumming the second coming of the Son Of Man will not have materialised....

On unrelated note.....This new constitution will leave some politicians cornered....for instance, a governor will be more influential than MP because he /she will be controlling a larger region and resources than an MP...It will be hard for an Mp tO Choose whether to stand for a Governor position or MP position....and It also removes jokers from contenting for the presidency....
Without MP ministers ...psychopancy will end....we are in for good times ....But as Kenyans lets change our value systems .....abhor corruption from small time eg bribing the police to bigtime..eg angloleecing type....
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
Intelligentsia
#4 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 11:00:48 AM

No, lets stick to KENYA!
I think the grounds you have advanced are insufficient to warrant a name change - why cant we instead dig even deeper to find out the historical origin of 'kenya/kenia'? it could be ancestral or something (like a trade route/item,etc) that many communities identified with!

methinks a name change would only be essential to get rid of a soiled/embarassing name from which a country wants to dissociate from eg Somalis may opt for a new name if they get a widely recognized gova in a bid to put distance bewteen them and the war-ravaged Somali. Maybe the South Sudanese as well.

Or a country may want to dissociate itself from a name given by its colonizers and which smacks loudly of imperialists undetones kama:

-Rhodesia to Zimbabwe
-Belgian Congo to Zaire to Democratic Republic of the Congo
-Gold Coast to Ghana

But change because of historical origin....no! hapanaaaa!
And there are no hard facts that the mountain is named after the country...
And while we are at that, can they leave our national anthem intact too - sasa kama watu wamefika hata 50s cant recite the 3 verses eloquently, mpya je?
Magigi
#5 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 11:06:11 AM

...I wish it was possible...Moi amekunyia hii Kenya mpaka inanuka kama nini...?
simonkabz
#6 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 11:14:07 AM

Ibaki KENYA bwana...whats ua problem with our unique name?
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
#7 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 11:25:50 AM

Kenya is the name. That way we do not discard our history. Our children and all generations to come must know and appreciate what this nation went through for them to enjoy their freedom. History must remind them of our dark past so that they don't go back there.

BBI will solve it
:)
kenmac
#8 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 11:27:37 AM

KENYA...KENYA

And our flag should be named the best in the world !

They are however free to change the Public Seal....if any changes will be necessary
......Ecclesiastes
Hi-Lo
#9 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 11:57:43 AM

@mukiha what name had u suggested toCoE...so we may compare with Kenya. There's no country with a better sounding name than ours ... to the extent that baby girls in US and Europe has pushed the name Kenya/Kenia to the top of charts sometimes back!

Anyhow, I read some small book by Dr Krapf where in 1847 at Kitui he saw Mt Kirinyaga [named so since 1600, forget Kenya] and was told/heard it's called Kiinya and jotted that down on dispatches. There was a buzz throughout European geographical societies...that a Mt on equator had snow...Krapf was lying they said...and only later accepted the 'higher u go the cooler it becomes'... in the ensuing controversies the name Kenya took hold as the colony became official...or so I think
Njung'e
#10 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 12:06:19 PM

@Hi-Lo,
I too think so and it can't be that the mountain was named after the country.....Kirinyaga refers to the abode of the Agikuyu god Mwene nyaga....even though again it may be considered to mean the mountain with runyaga (White cap).In Kikamba,this comes to Kiinya and Kirinyaa in Ki-embu.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Robinhood
#11 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 12:28:32 PM

We could have tried DPRK (Democratic peoples republic of Kenya) only that there is another DPRK - North Korea. Not that I am a fan of long names for a country. BTW Remember efforts by some to re-name south africa 'Azania' came to nought? The issue became bogged down in ideological differences between ANC and the PAC. I think trying to change the name of our country will be quite task as we will just take forever to agree on a name. IMHO, It might be taking the issue of reforms a bit too far!! We have lot's of stuff that needs reforming and we can discuss name changes once the 50 or so pieces of legislation required to implement the new constitution are in place.
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
vinii
#12 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 12:37:29 PM

....trust me, we shall need a referendum to resolve the matter - i don't think its worth it...
If you are an eagle don't hang around with chickens; chickens don't fly....
Intelligentsia
#13 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 12:53:24 PM

vinii wrote:
....trust me, we shall need a referendum to resolve the matter...

@ vinii spot on, umed*nya point hapo.smile
willin2learn
#14 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 1:03:36 PM

An old friend once told me that KENYA is a LIMAU for something. I will post it here once i recall!
Wa_ithaka
#15 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 1:06:23 PM

Now why would we want to go and do something stoopid like that
The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
nostoppingthis
#16 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 1:10:32 PM

@ mukiha and All...what informs the choice of naming e.g. kenyan vs chinese (not kenyanse or chinan) and many others.
What would you call persons from:
Trinidad and Tobago?
Carmen island?
I forget others...

Is it British or Briton? for a person from Britain
simonkabz
#17 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 1:50:26 PM

"Kenyan" is noun n an adjective. So is "Kenya". All govt institutions are named Kenya this n Kenya that...Kenya police, Kenya Airforce, Kenya Airways etc. Beautiful name, n changing the name is foolhardy. To me it seems Mukiha has issues with everything...mara thika road, now 'kenya' what nxt?
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
mukiha
#18 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 1:55:11 PM

vinii wrote:
....trust me, we shall need a referendum to resolve the matter ...

Agreed; and that's why I had made the suggestion during constitution making. The constitution referendum would have sorted that matter as well
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Wendz
#19 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 2:10:00 PM

Suggestions:

1. Republic of Elgon
2. Redeemed Republic
3. Republic of Lamonaki
Obi 1 Kanobi
#20 Posted : Monday, August 09, 2010 3:23:34 PM

No changes please, Kenya is a really chic and classy name and in a class with few other countries, notably India, Israel, Aruba, Brazil.

Unlike the boring names such as Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins