wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Beginners Luck
VituVingiSana
#21 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:57:54 PM

Wa_ithaka wrote:
Guru267-the highest dividend yield on the NSE is 14%. A trader entering a typically high dividend yield share in November can expect to make 25% before or after charges by the time they exit in Feb/March time.
During a typical NSE year (i.e. minus political stresses), you can observe this trend on shares like Williamson, StanChart

Who pays 14% dividend yield? [Please use current prices of shares]
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#22 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:01:03 PM

Much Know wrote:
@vv$, but you know 'mkolo' controls our market, with all due respect to your exceptional analytics, if there is such a word.

In 2010... 46 years after independence... seriously, you have to stop complaining/blaming wakoloni...

Singapore is doing exceptionally well... even 'celebrates' its colonial past...

Why? Coz Singapore's LEADERS are clean & smart... We were stupid (& unlucky) to choose thief kenyatta while Singapore got Lee Kuan Yew...

IMHO, one of Kenya's cleanest politician was Joesph Murumbi... He loved the country more than his pocket or ego...

Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Much Know
#23 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:13:29 PM

Vv£, true dat, am just saying 'mko' is a major factor in jan trend, lakini we also know kenyans are most broke in jan, i think nse bottomed about 'that time'
A New Kenya
Wa_ithaka
#24 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:17:48 PM

Vvs- go here and look at stock fundamentals.
The Governor of Nyeri - 2017
VituVingiSana
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:54:34 PM

Wa_ithaka wrote:
Vvs- go here and look at stock fundamentals.

Dont believe everything you see...

Hmmm... but there are 'errors' coz the dividend by Kenol was 'exceptional' & even Kenol said so... Not to be repeated...
Kenol was categorical on why the dividend in 2008 was high... No way they are paying 14% for FY 2009...

BTW, Carbacid split the shares 2:1 so MyStocks needs to 'divide' the dividend unless Carbacid doubles the payout... Which I doubt...

BAT is true... They pay heavy/good dividends... almost 100% payout...
mkonomtupu
#26 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 5:33:48 AM

Sometimes taking advantage of kenyan's peculiar trading habits can get you some tidy returns. Kenyans especially the old folk love dividends.
Take Total Kenya, it has a consistent dividend kshs 2.50 per share books close in May. From around November you can pick this stock at 28/- wait patiently until March-May when it peaks at 34-35 when everyone scrambles for the dividend. Capital gains gives you Kshs.6-7 per share. Sometimes if you have a good broker you can end up with the dividend and capital gain. So on average in a good year a return of 17-23%
RichVee
#27 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 5:56:10 AM

[/quote]I started investing in the exchange in 2001 when the system was still manual. Even then i noticed that the prices go down in feb and march just before the announcements but then quickly pick up towards the book dates and peak around june. I dont know of any logical explanation. [/quote]

Interesting...I was only looking at most at the last 14 months, didn't know it actually has been a trend over a longer period. Perhaps not for all shares but for a good number...
Tired of mediocrity. Am going to the very top!
guru267
#28 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 7:04:42 AM

sparkly wrote:

I started investing in the exchange in 2001 when the system was still manual. Even then i noticed that the prices go down in feb and march just before the announcements but then quickly pick up towards the book dates and peak around june. I dont know of any logical explanation.

@sparkly.. just one question... when you talk about you have seen share prices fall in feb/march..
is it by a substantial margin say by more than 8% which can allow traders to take real advantage or is it just a minor fall???

i ask because we are in the middle of feb and no fall in stock prices except the fall caused by the politics..
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
guru267
#29 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:11:53 PM

looks like all the wazurians who thought that there was a "trend" that would cause the NSE to fall in feb/march were TERRIBLY mistaken... glad i knew that it was total nonsense

a word to the wise... so called trends and charts only work in text books
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
sparkly
#30 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:42:25 PM

guru267 wrote:
sparkly wrote:

I started investing in the exchange in 2001 when the system was still manual. Even then i noticed that the prices go down in feb and march just before the announcements but then quickly pick up towards the book dates and peak around june. I dont know of any logical explanation.

@sparkly.. just one question... when you talk about you have seen share prices fall in feb/march..
is it by a substantial margin say by more than 8% which can allow traders to take real advantage or is it just a minor fall???

i ask because we are in the middle of feb and no fall in stock prices except the fall caused by the politics..

@guru267 i guess this time we skipped the 'falling' bit straight to the very rapid rise towards june. Have you see the gallop of the agrics and the industrials? Even good old EAPC. I guess its because the market was still in recovery mode from 2009 lows. NS20I will touch 4000 by june.
Life is short. Live passionately.
sparkly
#31 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:06:43 PM

Lol we are already at 3900. Forgive my poor forecast.
Life is short. Live passionately.
VituVingiSana
#32 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 3:12:08 AM

mkonomtupu wrote:
Sometimes taking advantage of kenyan's peculiar trading habits can get you some tidy returns. Kenyans especially the old folk love dividends.
Take Total Kenya, it has a consistent dividend kshs 2.50 per share books close in May. From around November you can pick this stock at 28/- wait patiently until March-May when it peaks at 34-35 when everyone scrambles for the dividend. Capital gains gives you Kshs.6-7 per share. Sometimes if you have a good broker you can end up with the dividend and capital gain. So on average in a good year a return of 17-23%

Well, do u see the fallacy?
Total announced only 1/- (not 2.50)...
mkonomtupu
#33 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 10:57:44 AM

The total stock is still at 29.5-30. Books closure 3-6-2010. in Stocks Patience pays.

I locked gains on Kengen yesterday at 16.1 20% capital gains. I think people buy and sell this share when it rains in nairobi. Human beings are creatures of habit and yes it's time to chase invoices until May. So buy low and sell high that was my aim in Jan-Feb. I have now stopped pumping cash into stocks so now just enjoying the ride up looking out for the exit numbers from the trends.

Turnover yesterday at below the daily average of 350m bonds turnover was low 1.4 billion.
VituVingiSana
#34 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 11:06:33 PM

LOL... I like the analogy with the 'buy KenGen when it rains'... LOL...
obiero
#35 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2023 10:29:03 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
LOL... I like the analogy with the 'buy KenGen when it rains'... LOL...

Dams are overflowing now.. This site is a treasure trove

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45