StanChart
AndyC
#81 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2022 2:32:22 PM

Are they still here for good?
VituVingiSana
#82 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2022 9:31:13 PM

AndyC wrote:

"The markets being exited generated around 1% of total income in 2021 and a similar proportion of profit before tax"

Considering what they put into corporate governance and remuneration it may not make sense for them to be in the small markets or where they can't easily expand.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
kawi254
#83 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2022 10:25:06 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
AndyC wrote:

"The markets being exited generated around 1% of total income in 2021 and a similar proportion of profit before tax"

Considering what they put into corporate governance and remuneration it may not make sense for them to be in the small markets or where they can't easily expand.

If and when they exit Kenya (i really hope they remain in Kenya as they pay good dividends) it would be another straight win for @VituVingiSana always buying shares that are bought out as companies exit NSE...if you want to follow the money in NSE just follow @VituVingiSana as He follows the money.
VituVingiSana
#84 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2022 2:48:44 AM

kawi254 wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
AndyC wrote:

If and when they exit Kenya (i really hope they remain in Kenya as they pay good dividends) it would be another straight win for @VituVingiSana always buying shares that are bought out as companies exit NSE...if you want to follow the money in NSE just follow @VituVingiSana as He follows the money.
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I wish I was that good.
I like SCBK for the DY of 13% which is like buying an IFB but with growth!
I do not think SCBK will go "private" anytime soon since there is a political benefit being a public firm when politicians want to extort you.

I do not expect the price of SCBK to rise as much as Equity over the next 10 years but this is a relatively safe income play.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
My 2 cents
#85 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2022 6:28:37 PM

My 2 cents wrote:
Does anyone know who or which institution has been moving out of StanChart in a big way over the last one year? There has been heavy selling on this stock since 2020. Those of you in the know, what is the concern?

I have my answer. Someone or some organization had insider information regarding StanChart's Africa divesture - they just did not know (or did not care) that Kenya is excluded for now. They just wanted out and have been selling big time.

For those of us who are holding on; it is a gamble whether StanChart in Kenya is "here for good"
young
#86 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2022 11:57:18 PM

Please be aware

Kenya subsidiary SCBK
constitutes 10% of group earnings worldwide .
Read through the last part of this report 👇

https://businesstoday.co...-stanchart-keeps-kenya/

Hope that helps to address the issue ?
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
Monk
#87 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2022 8:27:45 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
AndyC wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I wish I was that good.
I do not think SCBK will go "private" anytime soon since there is a political benefit being a public firm when politicians want to extort you.

I do not expect the price of SCBK to rise as much as Equity over the next 10 years but this is a relatively safe income play.

At full year Div of Ksh 19 , my DY is 11% before deducting WHT. Evidently your average buy price is much lower than mine.
VituVingiSana
#88 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2022 9:55:04 AM

Monk wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
AndyC wrote:

At full year Div of Ksh 19 , my DY is 11% before deducting WHT. Evidently your average buy price is much lower than mine.
Ignore the "sunk cost" and look at the current DY.
In other words, would you buy SCBK today?

I have for the income. Listening to the CEO, I felt confident that (excluding shocks) the general trajectory/growth will be good [not Equity like though] for the bank.
My 2 cents
#89 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2022 10:10:55 AM

young wrote:
Please be aware

Kenya subsidiary SCBK

I looked up the 2021 statements for StanChart Global and then did the math myself. The share of Kenya Stanchart to Global Stanchart is just 3%. As usual we have shoddy Kenyan journalism to blame for that misleading and erroneous 10%.
young
#90 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2022 2:16:46 PM

My 2 cents wrote:
young wrote:
Please be aware

Kenya subsidiary SCBK

I looked up the 2021 statements for StanChart Global and then did the math myself. The share of Kenya Stanchart to Global Stanchart is just 3%. As usual we have shoddy Kenyan journalism to blame for that misleading and erroneous 10%.

UPDATE

Yes I just cross checked myself .

Out of $3,347 million gross profit of global standard chartered bank, Kenya subsidiary contributed $104 million .

That confirms the 3% contribution from Kenya.

The criteria of SCB worldwide is to close subsidiaries contributing 1% or below to global pre tax profit .

So you are correct @my 2 cents ....that Kenya contribution was 3% NOT 10%.

Note however that Kenya contribution of 3% is the best in Africa closely followed by Nigeria at 2 .75%.

Looking forward Kenya operations will remain for many years ahead unless SCB wants to divest entirely from African operations .

The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
My 2 cents
#91 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2022 8:36:10 PM

young wrote:
My 2 cents wrote:
young wrote:
Please be aware

Kenya subsidiary SCBK

UPDATE

Out of $3,347 million gross profit of global standard chartered bank, Kenya subsidiary contributed $104 million .

The criteria of SCB worldwide is to close subsidiaries contributing 1% or below to global pre tax profit .

Note however that Kenya contribution of 3% is the best in Africa closely followed by Nigeria at 2 .75%.

Looking forward Kenya operations will remain for many years ahead unless SCB wants to divest entirely from African operations .

Divesting away from Africa would be imprudent, so I do hope they stay. SCBK share price is recovering bit by bit.
sparkly
#92 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2022 1:31:58 PM

My 2 cents wrote:
young wrote:
My 2 cents wrote:
young wrote:
Please be aware

Kenya subsidiary SCBK

UPDATE

Divesting away from Africa would be imprudent, so I do hope they stay. SCBK share price is recovering bit by bit.

Africa is a very small market in the global scheme of things. The Beberu banks only think of exploiting the continent, not growing it. Only African banks like Equity, KCB and Co-op can grow our continent. Let the Beberu go.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ericsson
#93 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2022 9:24:55 AM

https://www.businessdail...-iconic-property-3801302
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
DtheK
#94 Posted : Tuesday, January 02, 2024 1:14:13 PM

Thirty Billion! Wueh https://www.kbc.co.ke/mi...n-shillings-pay-battle/
Anybody knows if they've appealed? In any case I think the courts are more likely to side with the (former)employees.