Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

32 Pages«<2829303132>
Kenya Power - what's the latest?
kmucheke
#581 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2021 11:05:56 AM

Ericsson wrote:
kmucheke wrote:
State blocks Kenya Power from hiring McKinsey as adviser

After reading House of Lies : How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time I'm convinced that there is no way management consultants can save a poorly run, heavily indebted, corrupt ridden organisation like Kenya Power.

Furthermore are these management consultants experienced in running a business like KP in the environment and condition it is currently in? Yes McKinsey and BCG are known to hire some of the brightest and sharpest brains, but in this case just like KQ, I don't think anything will come out of it. But I maybe wrong...

There is no political will to turnaround Kenya power

Too many vested interests to allow any major radical shift. The timing is also bad considering it's toward the elections.

Ericsson
#582 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2021 12:58:39 PM

https://www.businessdail...-promise-failed-3650604

Kenya power to bear the burden of reducing their system losses to avoid a revenue fall as a result of a 15% reduction in electricity prices
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
sparkly
#583 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 2:59:10 PM

Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/economy/why-uhuru-electricity-price-promise-failed-3650604

Kenya power to bear the burden of reducing their system losses to avoid a revenue fall as a result of a 15% reduction in electricity prices

Where is the reduction? My tokens cost has gone up. I only get 38 units for KShs 1,000.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ericsson
#584 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 3:10:28 PM

sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/economy/why-uhuru-electricity-price-promise-failed-3650604

Where is the reduction? My tokens cost has gone up. I only get 38 units for KShs 1,000.

Reduction will be effected on Christmas Eve.
For now unakamuliwa proper.
kawi254
#585 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 3:37:13 PM

Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

i think the promised 15% reduction will be due to savings from expired Tsavo power PPA in September 2021 (-74MW thermal power off) and Muhoroni gas turbine PPA expiring Dec 2021(=-56MW thermal).

Taxes & levies make up bulk of electricity bill. Why can't they reduce this and get people hooked to using more electricity first? We wanted 5000mw but energy authority spent resources telling people to save energy and install solar heaters in the place of electric heaters...now we complain we are paying for excess unused generation capacity.
Ericsson
#586 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 5:56:59 PM

kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

i think the promised 15% reduction will be due to savings from expired Tsavo power PPA in September 2021 (-74MW thermal power off) and Muhoroni gas turbine PPA expiring Dec 2021(=-56MW thermal).

Taxes & levies make up bulk of electricity bill. Why can't they reduce this and get people hooked to using more electricity first? We wanted 5000mw but energy authority spent resources telling people to save energy and install solar heaters in the place of electric heaters...now we complain we are paying for excess unused generation capacity.

Reduction of taxes and levies that one treasury ruled out plus it would have affected the terms of engagement with IMF.

Installation of solar heaters was a way of guys making money after their firms were the ones importing the solar heaters.
Ericsson
#587 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 5:59:32 PM

kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Kengen will get a revenue dent in the second half since they do not have a replacement of Muhoroni gas turbine.
Olkaria I unit 6 of 83MW will be connected to the grid in end of Q1/Q2 of 2022
Ericsson
#588 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2021 6:25:56 PM

kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

The next PPA expiring is Kengen Kipevu I thermal power (60MW) in 2023.
Kausha
#589 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2021 7:27:59 AM

Ericsson wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Shame on you Doubt there will be much traction here. Let us revisit the 5,000MW production planning against forecast demand. There appears to have been a back of the envelope arithmetic used or did some one use the pent up demand in Telco pre 2000 as a proxy for the potential growth in power uptake by citizens? The 5000MW forecast production was mischevious and we cautioned it on this platform. Therefore even after shutting down Tsavo and Muhoroni, we still will be holding about 40% surplus capacity. I doubt we will shut down Muhoroni. Some of these thermals are stand by generators for the other plants.
Ericsson
#590 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2021 3:50:54 AM

Kausha wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Shame on you Doubt there will be much traction here. Let us revisit the 5,000MW production planning against forecast demand. There appears to have been a back of the envelope arithmetic used or did some one use the pent up demand in Telco pre 2000 as a proxy for the potential growth in power uptake by citizens? The 5000MW forecast production was mischevious and we cautioned it on this platform. Therefore even after shutting down Tsavo and Muhoroni, we still will be holding about 40% surplus capacity. I doubt we will shut down Muhoroni. Some of these thermals are stand by generators for the other plants.

With the activation of the new 220KV line by KETRACO, Muhoroni thermal power plant is no longer needed
Kausha
#591 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2021 8:45:07 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Kausha wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

With the activation of the new 220KV line by KETRACO, Muhoroni thermal power plant is no longer needed

Kengen owned by replaced by more kengen power from Olkaria. Minimal to naught impact on our bill. The real elephant in the room is the excess capacity and not the thermal plants. All plants including those of Kengen are on Take or pay terms with KPLC. Thermal plants are unlikely to go as long as we have weather dependent plants like the hydro and wind plants. Geothermal plants need maitenance too so shut down during unfavourable weather means you need the thermal plants on. Thermal plants are also strategically located.. Look at where they are positioned.
Ericsson
#592 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2021 12:25:07 PM

kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Any news on the 15% reduction, January 1 2022 is hours away.
Ericsson
#593 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2022 8:03:58 AM

https://www.businessdail...electricity-gift-3670346
VituVingiSana
#594 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2022 8:52:35 AM

Ericsson wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
kawi254
#595 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2022 9:22:45 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Tax payers should be refunded money spent on the numerous commissions that deliver nothing.

Fuel Cost Charge is gazetted in 2nd or 3rd Friday of every month so any reprieve will wait until then.
Kausha
#596 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2022 11:54:35 AM

kawi254 wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Tax payers should be refunded money spent on the numerous commissions that deliver nothing.

Fuel Cost Charge is gazetted in 2nd or 3rd Friday of every month so any reprieve will wait until then.

I said it up there.. There is very little chance of the power going down. These plants carry MIGA guarantees from WB who has lately become our key lender. Hapa tunazubaishwa and getting distracted from the main challenge which is the excess capacity me thinks
kmucheke
#597 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2022 8:57:41 PM

Kenya Power advert looking for new MD
Link
Posted by Deloitte Consulting Limited
piedpiper
#598 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2022 1:20:40 AM

A quick glance at the top 20 individual shareholders of Kenya Power over the last 3 financial years shows the same individuals steadily increasing their stake over time. These individuals are mainly Kenyans of asian origin if their names are anything to go by. Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel for this stock? Or is it a case of buying at rock bottom and hoping for the best? Only time will tell...
Life is a beach and I'm just playing in the sand
kawi254
#599 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2022 9:58:47 PM

Half year report date should be about now?
VituVingiSana
#600 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2022 12:41:38 AM

kawi254 wrote:
Half year report date should be about now?
KPLC has until 31 Mar 2022
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett