Kenya Power - what's the latest?
Angelica _ann
#561 Posted : Monday, November 01, 2021 11:34:58 AM

HaMaina wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
My 2 cents wrote:
You actually expect a company with Kes 110 billion in debt to pay a dividend?
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Exactly!
How would a creditor who is being asked to restructure the loan feel when dividends are paid but the loan is not being serviced? Shame on you

The loans are being restructured.
If viviene yeda stays for the next five years,Kenya power will be a sound company.
That doesn't answer the question. Until the loans are being regularly/properly serviced, the lenders will not look kindly upon dividends. Some loans have a provision that restricts dividends when loans are under not performing.

As you said: "Punguza expectations" Laughing out loudly

These companies on the NSE surely know how to "dart" Kenyans. They promise all the goodies and expectations we all want to hear but delivery = 0Sad Sad Problem is we all know the scam but keep falling into the trap.

Kenya Power will not recover from the current mess! This one is gone like the many we have seen fall in the same mismanagement line; KQ, MSC, Uchumi, EAPC, etc

Will always remain pesa ngombe for others except ordinary shareholders. the interests are just to many and humongous for corruption. Staff behave like they are doing you a favour to serve you.

Anyway, this one is finished, kaput, ni hayo tu! It will always be playground for eating.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
My 2 cents
#562 Posted : Monday, November 01, 2021 1:30:15 PM

so strange that the KPLC share price has gone up more than 20% in the last month or so, while KenGen's is falling. But I agree with you, KPLC is a basket case.
cyruskulei
#563 Posted : Monday, November 01, 2021 2:37:42 PM

My 2 cents wrote:
so strange that the KPLC share price has gone up more than 20% in the last month or so, while KenGen's is falling. But I agree with you, KPLC is a basket case.

And this is how the market is responding today

Work hard at your job and you can make a living. Work hard on yourself and you can make a fortune.

Ericsson
#564 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2021 8:56:42 AM

https://www.businessdail...debt-write-offs-3603202

Kenya power didn't make any payment for on-lent loans in the financial year that ended 30 June 2021
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
HaMaina
#565 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2021 1:29:29 PM

Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/corporate/companies/state-firms-rescued-sh37bn-debt-write-offs-3603202

Kenya power didn't make any payment for on-lent loans in the financial year that ended 30 June 2021

What caused the excitement yesterday?
“You can get in way more trouble with a good idea than a bad idea, because you forget that the good idea has limits.” - Ben Graham
Ericsson
#566 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2021 2:35:44 PM

https://www.businessdail...e-prepaid-tokens-3607062
mlennyma
#567 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2021 12:25:36 PM

Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/corporate/companies/kenya-power-probing-fraudulent-online-sale-prepaid-tokens-3607062

was rotten,mass sacking is needed to break corruption chains
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Ericsson
#568 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2021 1:12:02 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/corporate/companies/kenya-power-probing-fraudulent-online-sale-prepaid-tokens-3607062

was rotten,mass sacking is needed to break corruption chains

A fish rots from the head,this is a PR exercise meant to hoodwink kenyans.
An exercise to coverup so that the incoming regime incase they want to do a cleanup will not find evidence for prosecution of this regime

They are just adding pain to the average Kenyan who didn't pocket anything and is going to be sacked.
kawi254
#569 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2021 5:53:35 PM

Ormat (Olkaria III) Q3 2021 Earnings Call Transcript regarding KPLC:

1. Performance of Olkaria geothermal resource(steam) is down 25MW..They need to drill more wells. Means the capacity payments are also down by 25MW

2.As of Nov 4th, Ormat has not yet been approached by KPLC to renegotiate PPA as recommended by the President Kenya power task force. They are willing to negotiate for a lower rate for long term business. Ormat's geothermal power rates are 12% higher that Kengen's

3. By end of Q3 2021 KPLC reduced the overdue to $33 million by Nov 4 they have paid additional $14.2 million so overdue payment delayed roughly two months.

kmucheke
#570 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2021 8:27:30 PM

The Supreme Court allows the DPP to extradite Gichuru and Okemo to answer theft and money laundry charges in Jersey Island.

Ericsson
#571 Posted : Wednesday, November 10, 2021 8:04:45 AM

https://www.businessdail...ower-substations-3613498
kawi254
#572 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2021 10:33:24 PM

1) Tsavo power (74 MW Kipevu II) PPA has run it's course, expired in September 2021 and KPLC has not purchased any units from Tsavo power in October 2021. You'd think the Fuel energy cost charge would go down but for November billing the FCC will be at highest figure of Ksh. 4.21

2) GAZETTE NOTICE NO. 2826 of 2016 dealing with the THE ENERGY ACT revoked

GAZETTE NOTICE NO. 2826 of 2016
(a) The Fuel Supply Agreements can be renegotiated to adjust the stock holding levels in light of the reduced dispatch of thermal power plants.
(b) The application for a change in the economic merit order of dispatch in the interconnected grid is disallowed. An exception will be allowed where the plants are run to maintain them in an operable mode as recommended by the manufacturer.
My 2 cents
#573 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2021 4:44:46 PM

KPLC is in a real quandry. They have a Presidential directive to reduce power costs by 33% by end of 2021. (More than 30 Billion Savings). This was predicated on the assumption that it was possible to renegotiate PPA power costs. Now the taskforce discovers it is next to impossible to reopen the PPAs and renogiate contracts made in international courts.
Ericsson
#574 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2021 5:44:54 PM

My 2 cents wrote:
KPLC is in a real quandry. They have a Presidential directive to reduce power costs by 33% by end of 2021. (More than 30 Billion Savings). This was predicated on the assumption that it was possible to renegotiate PPA power costs. Now the taskforce discovers it is next to impossible to reopen the PPAs and renogiate contracts made in international courts.

Buy more of Kengen power and less of the IPPs.
A path that is being avoided since the owners of IPPs are well connected individuals.
My 2 cents
#575 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2021 7:33:04 PM

Ericsson wrote:
My 2 cents wrote:

A path that is being avoided since the owners of IPPs are well connected individuals.

The PPAs come with a capacity charge i.e. KPLC pays some amount whether or not KPLC buys power from the PPAs.
Ericsson
#576 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2021 9:15:24 PM

My 2 cents wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
My 2 cents wrote:

The PPAs come with a capacity charge i.e. KPLC pays some amount whether or not KPLC buys power from the PPAs.

Yes they do but it will be cheaper than burning the heavy fuel and diesel to generate power
kmucheke
#577 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2021 10:00:42 AM

State blocks Kenya Power from hiring McKinsey as adviser

After reading House of Lies : How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time I'm convinced that there is no way management consultants can save a poorly run, heavily indebted, corrupt ridden organisation like Kenya Power.

Furthermore are these management consultants experienced in running a business like KP in the environment and condition it is currently in? Yes McKinsey and BCG are known to hire some of the brightest and sharpest brains, but in this case just like KQ, I don't think anything will come out of it. But I maybe wrong...

Ericsson
#578 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2021 10:29:37 AM

kmucheke wrote:
State blocks Kenya Power from hiring McKinsey as adviser

After reading House of Lies : How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time I'm convinced that there is no way management consultants can save a poorly run, heavily indebted, corrupt ridden organisation like Kenya Power.

Furthermore are these management consultants experienced in running a business like KP in the environment and condition it is currently in? Yes McKinsey and BCG are known to hire some of the brightest and sharpest brains, but in this case just like KQ, I don't think anything will come out of it. But I maybe wrong...

There is no political will to turnaround Kenya power
My 2 cents
#579 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2021 10:45:38 AM

KPLC only stands a chance if government divests out of it. Yet the government will never privatise this cash cow, even if it means sucking it to death.
kmucheke
#580 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2021 11:04:18 AM

My 2 cents wrote:
KPLC only stands a chance if government divests out of it. Yet the government will never privatise this cash cow, even if it means sucking it to death.

Concession maybe, like Umeme. But this needs a very serious concessionaire not like the joke that was RVR.