wazua Sun, Apr 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Cost of building a bungalow
Boris Boyka
#21 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:52:53 PM

@4eva Eva you're the one that doesn't get it, when you stay in one place and consider all factors apply allover. Maybe you'll get it when I answer @hardwood. My uncle a teacher did a house just as hardwood said. This is how he did it. Alipiga matofali 10k, he had plenty Large trees he cut akapasua mbao na remnants akachomea matofali. This over a period of about 6-8 months. He also accumulated several stones. During construction, it was raining and he harvested a lot water, he used many of his nephews as labourers with him present. Employed Fundi and 1 labourer. He used about 900k during construction.Just plastered , no ceiling, just undercoat paint, no tiles, no further external finishes.He entered the house and has been doing one thing at a time monthly up to now.
In short rural fellows accumulate materials over long periods of time. They enter the house soon after super structure is finished. Finishes are done slowly with time thus they don't feel the cost at once. Note that am talking of most areas in rurals; central, western, rift valley. Two areas ukambani and coast interiors materials are soo cheap that its not ideal to use them as basis for other areas.
If these teachers are to buy all materials and employ all labourers and finish the house at once then my rate applies, but by using the means above of accumulation over time and finishing in bits while in, the actual cost is not felt but totally it comes to that
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
nakujua
#22 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 1:15:10 PM

AntonyM wrote:
nakujua wrote:
There was a thread for a bungalow in syokimau at around 400k, but I remember even @4architect had a budget bungalow design that cost around 800k.

I still think one can get a decent house at around 15k, but at the end of the day with a house it depends on the tastes that the owner wants, and what one considers a finished house, to some a house without tiles or a gypsum ceiling or granite kitchen tops is not finished.

For @AntonyM you could try out the koto housing guys, they seem to put up houses very fast, which might be good for your situation.

How are the koto guys in terms of their houses? How durable are they? I don't just want to patch up materials that look nice on the outside but badly done on the inside.

Not had actual experience with them but I have heard good stuff about them, concerning durability, I think they are still relatively new as far as houses are concerned, so of course locally the technology they are using has not had the test of time.

I see they quote at around 30k-35k, but I think they do everything for you and hand over the keys, which might be good if you are busy.

But on kangundo road, quarry or ndarugo stones are easily available and sand is plentiful - from personal experience in the area I don't think you should go all that way for a bungalow, just get the plan and engage a local fundi - stress ni ile ile.
4eva eva
#23 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 3:30:29 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
@4eva Eva you're the one that doesn't get it, when you stay in one place and consider all factors apply allover. Maybe you'll get it when I answer @hardwood. My uncle a teacher did a house just as hardwood said. This is how he did it. Alipiga matofali 10k, he had plenty Large trees he cut akapasua mbao na remnants akachomea matofali. This over a period of about 6-8 months. He also accumulated several stones. During construction, it was raining and he harvested a lot water, he used many of his nephews as labourers with him present. Employed Fundi and 1 labourer. He used about 900k during construction.Just plastered , no ceiling, just undercoat paint, no tiles, no further external finishes.He entered the house and has been doing one thing at a time monthly up to now.
In short rural fellows accumulate materials over long periods of time. They enter the house soon after super structure is finished. Finishes are done slowly with time thus they don't feel the cost at once. Note that am talking of most areas in rurals; central, western, rift valley. Two areas ukambani and coast interiors materials are soo cheap that its not ideal to use them as basis for other areas.
If these teachers are to buy all materials and employ all labourers and finish the house at once then my rate applies, but by using the means above of accumulation over time and finishing in bits while in, the actual cost is not felt but totally it comes to that

Haha, all vague and hearsay. Let me school you a bit. In engineering we only deal with working drawings,boqs and work methodologies.
Boris Boyka
#24 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 3:56:19 PM

4eva eva wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:

Haha, all vague and hearsay. Let me school you a bit. In engineering we only deal with working drawings,boqs and work methodologies.

I bet you're still a theory filled fellow. How many regions have you been to and practically seen constructions? Here in Wazua we've had so many threads on construction e.g @4architect, bungalow vs maisonette,how many units to fit in a 50*100 and many many more. These are based on regions characteristics; soil,materials, labour e.t.c. what are you trying to put across that's new? I was answering @hardwood the way teachers make it in rurals, they don't use your college/campus engineering calculations.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
4eva eva
#25 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 4:34:43 PM

Sawa Sawa le quack
popat
#26 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 7:55:09 PM

4eva eva wrote:
Sawa Sawa le quack
Let's tutor you abit.In this forum we respect real life experiences much as we respect professional advice.Some of the advise you get here is invaluable based on the authority of the source which is more often than not from the school of experience.To dismiss one as a quack based on narrow lens of inexperience is retrogressive. I urge you to respect the elders considering that you are a new fairer in this forum despite the papers and long resume you may have.
bird_man
#27 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 10:27:41 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:

Sounds a lot like my folks(both teachers).Cost 4M....took 4yrs to build.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
kyt
#28 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:55:55 AM

It's possible to pay 15k per metre and still get a good house
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
hardwood
#29 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:23:19 AM

You will never build if you listen to professionals and the figures they quote eg 40k per sqm. Their figures are for the complete house, plus landscaping, like those sold on mortgage. But if you are the one doing the construction, once you have your plan ready and approved mwaga mawe and sand and get a nice fundi to start you off, whatever amount of money you have and see how far it takes you. The most difficult thing in construction is to start. And the good thing with construction is that after you do a certain stage, eg foundation, walling etc, its done and you will never go back there. You can finish at your own pace depending on availability funds. The super structure takes about 50% of construction costs. Hiyo ingine e.g granite tops, mdfs, bathtubs, poggenpohl and grohe taps, etc utamaliza pole pole. And a bangalow doesn't have to be boring. We have nice designs nowadays, hata huko kitengela and shags.

Fyatu
#30 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:41:10 AM

popat wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
Sawa Sawa le quack
Let's tutor you abit.In this forum we respect real life experiences much as we respect professional advice.Some of the advise you get here is invaluable based on the authority of the source which is more often than not from the school of experience.To dismiss one as a quack based on narrow lens of inexperience is retrogressive. I urge you to respect the elders considering that you are a new fairer in this forum despite the papers and long resume you may have.

I concur with my Singh friend @Popat. The spirit of wazua is to educate each other by sharing our real-life experiences and once in a while through the theory that we crammed in school for the sole purpose of passing exams and getting over and done with formal education.Lets not kill the spirit. Madam admin this amounts to gross misconduct and a suspension letter should suffice pronto..
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
hardwood
#31 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:01:52 AM

AntonyM wrote:
nakujua wrote:
There was a thread for a bungalow in syokimau at around 400k, but I remember even @4architect had a budget bungalow design that cost around 800k.

I still think one can get a decent house at around 15k, but at the end of the day with a house it depends on the tastes that the owner wants, and what one considers a finished house, to some a house without tiles or a gypsum ceiling or granite kitchen tops is not finished.

For @AntonyM you could try out the koto housing guys, they seem to put up houses very fast, which might be good for your situation.

How are the koto guys in terms of their houses? How durable are they? I don't just want to patch up materials that look nice on the outside but badly done on the inside.

Koto:

http://www.businessdaily...04/-/gsnyo9/-/index.html
Musimo
#32 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:26:46 PM

hardwood wrote:
You will never build if you listen to professionals and the figures they quote eg 40k per sqm. Their figures are for the complete house, plus landscaping, like those sold on mortgage. But if you are the one doing the construction, once you have your plan ready and approved mwaga mawe and sand and get a nice fundi to start you off, whatever amount of money you have and see how far it takes you. The most difficult thing in construction is to start. And the good thing with construction is that after you do a certain stage, eg foundation, walling etc, its done and you will never go back there. You can finish at your own pace depending on availability funds. The super structure takes about 50% of construction costs. Hiyo ingine e.g granite tops, mdfs, bathtubs, poggenpohl and grohe taps, etc utamaliza pole pole. And a bangalow doesn't have to be boring. We have nice designs nowadays, hata huko kitengela and shags.

Professionals are there to guide and build tolerances to the task at hand. The quotes per square metres are based on the experiences they have from supervising construction projects. Cost per square metre would also vary based on ground conditions (black cotton soil would mean a different type of foundation or a deeper foundation compared to a murram or rock foundation), location of site (if near thika, stones and river sand are readily available in the neighbourhood at friendly prices as compared to, say, building in limuru), amongst other things.) that said, engineering is not all about working drawings, BOQs and workplans only, much more is needed to deliver quality at an affordable price. I would advice @AnthonyM to get an architect, pay the 20-30k for his input in matters layout of the house and space creation/management, get an engineer to supervise the foundation only, assuming you would still be doing the bungalow at almost similar costs to the architects, then with your cost estimates, start the journey towards your bungalow. The most important thing about having a professional or professionals on board is they calm you down via other experiences they came across in the field,and suddenly your journey in construction becomes more bearable.
If you need more help usiogope kuulizia,lest we enrich our graveyards more with the knowledge and experiences we possess.
Musimo
#33 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2015 3:43:29 PM

Fyatu wrote:
popat wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
Sawa Sawa le quack

I concur with my Singh friend @Popat. The spirit of wazua is to educate each other by sharing our real-life experiences and once in a while through the theory that we crammed in school for the sole purpose of passing exams and getting over and done with formal education.Lets not kill the spirit. Madam admin this amounts to gross misconduct and a suspension letter should suffice pronto..

@Fyatu, dont worry, apparently all engineers come wired with the same attitude, but I think I skyved that lecture/unit. Others who have such characteristics are usually office desk engineers who cant differentiate Y bars from R bars or even tell bar spacing is off without forming a commission of inquiry to look into the same, or tell you class 20 concrete is the number of students who attended the materials science labs during their years in the lab. Ignoring will suffice. Learn from he who wants to share, ignore from he who wants to be the engine of a car without wheels.
jamplu
#34 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 7:43:35 AM

@AntonyM just plan for the basics- like where you will source your materials at the best prices possible, how you will get a good fundi for each stage and most important know exactly what you want - its your home not just another house.
As @hardwood the most important is to just start and be available on the ground to supervise the work.

amorphous
#35 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2021 7:56:33 AM

Boris Boyka wrote:

Excellent response. Actually building a bungalow in ushago is not costly at all. 1 million can build a decent, small(under 50sqm) bungalow hapo easy.
Where most go wrong is assuming a figure of 15k, 25k or 35k (or more) per sqm is an exact science - it is not.
Sooo many factors go into those figures. If the floors are all screeded simiti and walls unplastered and the house is 50sqm large, of course you can achieve 15k per sqm. If you do mahogany everything, granite tops, SAJ tiles etc, 45k per sqm might be cheap.
The other mistake is underestimating true costs and assuming one has built cheaply. Eg the example of where he used nephews as laborers, accumulated stones over time etc. In such cases recordkeeping may not be systematic so one may spend way more than what they actually think they have spent.
The other mistake is excluding costs. Cabro driveway, KPLC and water connection, Gate, stone wall etc all cost money but are usually excluded.
I see the per sqm figures as merely a rough guide.
Besides, always look at value rather than cost. Even at 45k per sqm, chances are the finished house is worth double that amount at market, maybe even more. And this is before the benefits that accrue to you once the house is done (eg No rent, gains in value over time, satisfaction that comes with home ownership, etc).
In ten years time after you finish building, will it really matter that you spent 35k per sqm vs 45k per sqm if you really love how the house turned out? Of course not.

NIMESEMA!

Age and family mellows us all over time