wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

House paint
Ngogoyo
#1 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 5:22:45 PM

I am working on a house project and not sure if to paint using the normal paints or the alternative method of using wall-master that my fundi is preferring

For exterior, wallmaster seems the best option. Now my questions to the experts or those who have used it.

1. Will wallmaster texture paint give a good interior finish
2. Is it costly as compared to normal paints
3. With normal paints, is it a must to do the three coats (undercoat, main paint 2 coats)

I am used to seeing smooth interiors not the rough finish under wallmaster. Someone give feedback if they have interior wallmaster.

Any other advise on house paint will be greatly appreciated
Kibe21
#2 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2021 9:18:01 PM

Ngogoyo wrote:
I am working on a house project and not sure if to paint using the normal paints or the alternative method of using wall-master that my fundi is preferring

For exterior, wallmaster seems the best option. Now my questions to the experts or those who have used it.

3. With normal paints, is it a must to do the three coats (undercoat, main paint 2 coats)

I am used to seeing smooth interiors not the rough finish under wallmaster. Someone give feedback if they have interior wallmaster.

Stick to silk(the smooth water based) paint for interior. Wall master is great for exterior, Interior especially in dusty areas is a pain to keep clean.
amorphous
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2021 2:00:37 AM

Ngogoyo wrote:

@Ngogoyo do not listen blindly to fundis
Kenyans are copycats. I too use to think Wallmaster was the best thing since sliced bread for the exterior thanks to said fundis. Wapi? They recommend it because that is where they eat big. It is way more costly than kawaida paint and the finished product is not as amazing as touted. Just a rough looking wall.

If you like smooth finishes like me..GO WITH CROWN EXTERIOR SILICONE OR TEFLON PERMACOTE directly applied on your smooth simiti plaster exterior. Then thank me later. Tis beautiful, lasts 15 years and gives the EXACT SAME benefit as wallmaster ( dirt washes off easy with water and doesn't stain fuaa).

Inside get a nice skim job one with filler to get the smoothest finish possible, then do the Silk paint mentioned above after an undercoat.

NIMESEMA!!

New Normal!
kayhara
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2021 12:21:02 PM

Ngogoyo wrote:

Just painted mine, for the inside start with a penetrating primer, if your plaster is uneven you can try crown putty to get a smooth finish, then the primer then lay 2-3 coats of silk paint try the million of colours crown have.
ceiling go for a flat non shiny paint I went grey on most of the rooms and matt black for the kitchen looks very nice.
For exterior if uneven use putty avoid gypsum filler, then go for self cleaning crown paint, it also does not fade.
If you have exterior timber like windows, doors or facia boards, start by applying an anti-termite treatment it's 500 for 20 liters, then seal the ends, after this you can apply 2-3 coats of gloss paint again try new colours I went for a very dark blue for the doors which look great with light grey walls.
To Each His Own
Ngogoyo
#5 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2021 9:25:57 AM

Kibe21 wrote:
Ngogoyo wrote:

Stick to silk(the smooth water based) paint for interior. Wall master is great for exterior, Interior especially in dusty areas is a pain to keep clean.

Makes sense. Thanks
VituVingiSana
#6 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2021 9:40:31 AM

Are Crown products the clear favorite?

Quality? Price? Value?

Which brands do developers use?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ngogoyo
#7 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2021 10:41:40 AM

The wealth of ideas @amorphous and @kayhara is great

I will go with smooth not the rough paint as advised. Crown exterior seems like the winner here and glad contrary to what I thought, it doesn't keep dirt and its easy to clean

For interior it is much straight forward for me, smooth silk
muandiwambeu
#8 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2021 12:32:56 PM

Ngogoyo wrote:

I will go with smooth not the rough paint as advised. Crown exterior seems like the winner here and glad contrary to what I thought, it doesn't keep dirt and its easy to clean

Addon.
Where possible use coloured cement for external, weather prone areas. Wall master/ putty/ filler/ gypsum will make u shed golden years especially if wet.
Internal, if have to skim with putty/ gypsum/ other fillers, ensure your cement render is thorough such that the smiling should be thin enough <=1mm. Otherwise flaking will be ur bedmate for so long.
Water based paints should be used with restraint on all wet/dampprone/ areas needing frequent wiping to clean.
Thank me later.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
amorphous
#9 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2021 12:42:45 PM

Ngogoyo wrote:

Excellent choice ma broda and karibu
I missed being conned by a millimeter. Some deranged fundi came and gave me a Wallmaster exterior quote of 250k! Ati "because wallmaster lasts forever, cleans easily and needs a lot of work to install." Wallmaster also starts to have issues after 15 years (flaking, fading etc) so why not save 60% or more of your money by doing Crown permacote exterior. That is what I went with and I have never regretted it to this day. I keep getting compliments kila siku from my jiranis about how nice the exterior paint looks. Wallmaster is a con game unless one really, really loves that rough exterior look (I don't).
New Normal!
kayhara
#10 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2021 3:29:08 PM

muandiwambeu wrote:
Ngogoyo wrote:

Addon.
Where possible use coloured cement for external, weather prone areas. Wall master/ putty/ filler/ gypsum will make u shed golden years especially if wet.
Internal, if have to skim with putty/ gypsum/ other fillers, ensure your cement render is thorough such that the smiling should be thin enough <=1mm. Otherwise flaking will be ur bedmate for so long.
Water based paints should be used with restraint on all wet/dampprone/ areas needing frequent wiping to clean.
Thank me later.

To avoid the flaking use the penetrating primer, if you paint over bare plaster or over chokaa flaking will happen.
crown is a very good brand BUT there is best of best called JOTUN but they are quite expensive.
For those who love textured paint try SAVETO it's an egyptian brand checkout a project called Amira's palace in Nyali Mombasa, we painted it in 2015 5 years later it still looks good in the coastal sun.
FYI the crown putty is cement based, gypsum fillers achia watu wa ceiling.

To Each His Own
VituVingiSana
#11 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2021 8:08:02 PM

From the comments, it seems I should run out and buy shares in Crown. Or am I being naive?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Kibe21
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 02, 2021 5:47:15 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
From the comments, it seems I should run out and buy shares in Crown. Or am I being naive?

Good quality and affordable paint but also plenty of competition in that space, DuraCost, Basco paints, Plascon etc.
Comb through financials to see if it's worth buying, especially when the economy is doing good and people are building more houses.
VituVingiSana
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 03, 2021 11:23:55 AM

Kibe21 wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Good quality and affordable paint but also plenty of competition in that space, DuraCost, Basco paints, Plascon etc.
Comb through financials to see if it's worth buying, especially when the economy is doing good and people are building more houses.
Nimesoma but there is a lot more than numbers. Numbers are history. I am trying to get a feel on the ground. I have not had to paint for a while. The sub-contractor said he used Jotun on the exterior.