wazua Thu, May 16, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Advise needed
Robins
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 03, 2021 4:15:03 PM

I need advise from fellow wazuans. Been a faithful follower of the forum since 2011 and enjoy reading the forums and it seems most of you have their things figured out.
So a little background about me; graduated in 2016 with a degree considered useless by most HRs, I've had several jobs in sales / B dvpt / training and eCommerce which are not in any way related to my degree. Lost my last job in 2019 after Govt crushed the industry I was working in and haven't had another or raised capital to start my own thing.

Now I'm at a point where I'm in debt and can't even fend for my familia. Don't know what next and I consider myself smart having helped my previous employers grow by at least *20 times each within months. These were mostly startups or struggling firms that I think took the risk with me due to my low salary demand.

Been applying for jobs with no success and someone was blunt about my degree being of no interest to employers despite the skills and knowledge I've gained over the years. What do I do now that I'm turning 30? Do a Harambe and enroll for an MBA to improve prospects ? Continue hunting which hasn't yielded results?

Steer away from affectation at all costs, as if it were a rough and dangerous reef.
quicksand
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 04, 2021 11:16:14 AM

Robins wrote:

I need advise from fellow wazuans. Been a faithful follower of the forum since 2011 and enjoy reading the forums and it seems most of you have their things figured out.
So a little background about me; graduated in 2016 with a degree considered useless by most HRs, I've had several jobs in sales / B dvpt / training and eCommerce which are not in any way related to my degree. Lost my last job in 2019 after Govt crushed the industry I was working in and haven't had another or raised capital to start my own thing.

Now I'm at a point where I'm in debt and can't even fend for my familia. Don't know what next and I consider myself smart having helped my previous employers grow by at least *20 times each within months. These were mostly startups or struggling firms that I think took the risk with me due to my low salary demand.

Been applying for jobs with no success and someone was blunt about my degree being of no interest to employers despite the skills and knowledge I've gained over the years. What do I do now that I'm turning 30? Do a Harambe and enroll for an MBA to improve prospects ? Continue hunting which hasn't yielded results?

The background you have provided is way too little...first tell us what degree you attained and what industry you were in and may be the citizens here can give you ideas on how to strike out.
No degree is useless. Do not let HR departments define you or other people tell you what your self-worth is. Your brain took you to university and the education you received there must have refined it some more.
All kinds of people are made redundant, all the time - engineers, doctors, pilots ...being unable to earn currently is a function of demand and the state of the economy in the small, localised ecosystem you inhabit
poundfoolish
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 04, 2021 11:23:15 AM

Robins wrote:

Are you into sales?
Robins
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 04, 2021 11:38:15 AM

quicksand wrote:
Robins wrote:

The background you have provided is way too little...first tell us what degree you attained and what industry you were in and may be the citizens here can give you ideas on how to strike out.
No degree is useless. Do not let HR departments define you or other people tell you what your self-worth is. Your brain took you to university and the education you received there must have refined it some more.
All kinds of people are made redundant, all the time - engineers, doctors, pilots ...being unable to earn currently is a function of demand and the state of the economy in the small, localised ecosystem you inhabit

International Relations and Diplomacy. I agree it's not useless as people adapt and gain skills. My favorite Prof told us education is not for specific roles but to open up your mind. I've worked with Saf dealers, an e-Commerce startup and the gambling industry. But the younger the HR and interview panels get, they seem to miss the point
Steer away from affectation at all costs, as if it were a rough and dangerous reef.
Robins
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 04, 2021 11:42:54 AM

poundfoolish wrote:
Robins wrote:

Are you into sales?

Yes I am, very good at it too.
Thiong'o
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 04, 2021 12:05:07 PM

Robins wrote:
quicksand wrote:
Robins wrote:

International Relations and Diplomacy. I agree it's not useless as people adapt and gain skills. My favorite Prof told us education is not for specific roles but to open up your mind. I've worked with Saf dealers, an e-Commerce startup and the gambling industry. But the younger the HR and interview panels get, they seem to miss the point

Educations is means to an end not an end in itself @Robins, no degree is useless but attitude is everything.

You don’t hire for skills, you hire for attitude. You can always teach skills. - Simon Sinek
amorphous
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 04, 2021 12:52:19 PM

[quote=Robins]I need advise from fellow wazuans. Been a faithful follower of the forum since 2011 and enjoy reading the forums and it seems most of you have their things figured out.

[/quote:]

Pole my broda.
The day one starts to see themselves as a jobcreator rather than a job seeker is the day things will start to change for the better for the person. This is the best time to do so as you have nothing to lose. Wageslavery is a curse. Goodluck
Age and family mellows us all over time
Robins
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 04, 2021 7:17:34 PM

amorphous wrote:
[quote=Robins]I need advise from fellow wazuans. Been a faithful follower of the forum since 2011 and enjoy reading the forums and it seems most of you have their things figured out.

[/quote:]

Pole my broda.
The day one starts to see themselves as a jobcreator rather than a job seeker is the day things will start to change for the better for the person. This is the best time to do so as you have nothing to lose. Wageslavery is a curse. Goodluck

I agree on the wage slavery πŸ‘ For now I need a job after covid and trumpistan ruined a gig that was almost going well. Maybe in a year or two I'll be an entrepreneur, for now an intraprenuer is all I can hope for.
πŸ‘
amorphous
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 06, 2021 8:20:26 AM

Robins wrote:

I agree on the wage slavery πŸ‘ For now I need a job after covid and trumpistan ruined a gig that was almost going well. Maybe in a year or two I'll be an entrepreneur, for now an intraprenuer is all I can hope for.
πŸ‘

Why a year or two and not now is the billion shilling question if you agree with me on wage slavery?
Age and family mellows us all over time
madollar
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2021 7:59:32 PM

How is your support system i.e your spouse and family in such lean times they can offer support financially and emotionally to navigate the tough times.

In most of this situations of between a hard place and a rock is to just continue trying
Robins
#11 Posted : Monday, February 08, 2021 9:26:40 AM

amorphous wrote:
Robins wrote:

πŸ‘

Why a year or two and not now is the billion shilling question if you agree with me on wage slavery?

In dire straits for now. But working on itπŸ‘ŒπŸΌ
Robins
#12 Posted : Monday, February 08, 2021 9:28:35 AM

madollar wrote:
How is your support system i.e your spouse and family in such lean times they can offer support financially and emotionally to navigate the tough times.

In most of this situations of between a hard place and a rock is to just continue trying

Support system non existent. Spouse leftπŸ˜…
Coolio
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 5:33:58 PM

Robins wrote:
madollar wrote:

Support system non existent. Spouse leftπŸ˜…

Pole sana for being lefted when you needed her/ he most.

Habari syenu I'm happy to be back home.
Nadondosha meli kubwa seuze ngalawa!
sparkly
#14 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 1:43:48 PM

Robins wrote:
quicksand wrote:
Robins wrote:

1. Your problem is not the degree or lack of a job but frustration from lack of career progression.

2. You worked for 3 different employers, in 3 different industries in 4 years! An year on one job doesn't give you time to learn the job and the industry properly. You need at least 3 years in one industry or on one role to obtain marketable skills on the job.

3. After three or 4 years on a job, you should be progressing to the role of a supervisor which means that you have honed your technical skills and are ready to deal with people issues e.g. delegating, training new hires, taking on basic managerial roles. Don't cheat yourself that with one year of experience you helped your employers grow *20 times, unless you were CEO with growth targets. Acknowledge the humble roles you played within the organizations that you worked for.

4. Is an MBA appropriate at this point in time? Honestly, I don't think so. MBA is useful for Senior managers with a clear career progression and 5-10 years experience in their job.

5. What next?
(a) The best approach is to choose one line of work e.g. if marketing focus on being the best marketing person out there.
(b) Grow your skills e.g. attend marketing certification courses, join a marketing guild/ Institute.
(c) Demonstrate your knowledge in your line e.g. by blogging on topical issues in your line, volunteer for roles within the organization, volunteer to lead small teams at work etc.
(d) Once you are well established in your specific career, you can aim at improving on skills that get you promoted to the next levels...

All the best.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Robins
#15 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 5:04:35 PM

sparkly wrote:
Robins wrote:
quicksand wrote:
Robins wrote:

1. Your problem is not the degree or lack of a job but frustration from lack of career progression.

2. You worked for 3 different employers, in 3 different industries in 4 years! An year on one job doesn't give you time to learn the job and the industry properly. You need at least 3 years in one industry or on one role to obtain marketable skills on the job.

3. After three or 4 years on a job, you should be progressing to the role of a supervisor which means that you have honed your technical skills and are ready to deal with people issues e.g. delegating, training new hires, taking on basic managerial roles. Don't cheat yourself that with one year of experience you helped your employers grow *20 times, unless you were CEO with growth targets. Acknowledge the humble roles you played within the organizations that you worked for.

4. Is an MBA appropriate at this point in time? Honestly, I don't think so. MBA is useful for Senior managers with a clear career progression and 5-10 years experience in their job.

5. What next?
(a) The best approach is to choose one line of work e.g. if marketing focus on being the best marketing person out there.
(b) Grow your skills e.g. attend marketing certification courses, join a marketing guild/ Institute.
(c) Demonstrate your knowledge in your line e.g. by blogging on topical issues in your line, volunteer for roles within the organization, volunteer to lead small teams at work etc.
(d) Once you are well established in your specific career, you can aim at improving on skills that get you promoted to the next levels...

All the best.

Hey, thanks for the good advise I'll certainly try to put it into practice.
You're right about the frustration. However, for points 2&3, I had some 6 year field sales experience having put myself through college. Thus I got promoted midlevel managerial role some 5 months after college..the next job was in mgmt where I ran sales/marketing/Procurement and hired a team of 12 in a year. Left both when 'pros' were brought in. So yes played humble roles but the results after joined and after leaving justify the *20 brag 😁