wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

38 Pages«<3435363738>
Why dustbowl is the future
Sir invest
#701 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:16:35 AM

Clean water is the only challenge. You have to endure salty borehole water.
amorphous
#702 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2020 3:46:27 PM

amorphous wrote:
Lerruat Log Resort, near Kajiado town.

@Wukan, as Nairobi core crumbles, DC builds world class Swiss Resorts Drool

As I said..in ten years time you will regret why you decided to rot in cramped Nai core Grogon/River Road filthy bedsitters.Laughing out loudly

The standard of living for the middle classes who move to DC is getting better by leaps and bounds month after month.

Sir invest wrote:

Says who?Drool
All I have is 100% clean fresh water delivered to my door whenever I want.
I also harvest 100% fresh and clean rainwater granted by God himself.
Pray
New Normal!
wukan
#703 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2020 4:43:45 PM

amorphous wrote:

As I said..in ten years time you will regret why you decided to rot in cramped Nai core Grogon/River Road filthy bedsitters.Laughing out loudly

The standard of living for the middle classes who move to DC is getting better by leaps and bounds month after month.

That's a beautiful resortApplause Applause I have land with a similar view of the Great Rift valley. I'm not about to retire so no immediate plans for development. For now I have to be in Grogon building bedsitters for your college boys/girls, importing spares for your jalopies na kadhalika. In 10 years Grogon will be boom town and the capital gains/income from my bedsitters will more than enough to build a decent retirement home.

Wacha new money middle class wakule mali yao sisi old money are okay living humble changing the filthy sides of this town
amorphous
#704 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2020 4:53:30 PM

wukan wrote:
amorphous wrote:

That's a beautiful resortApplause Applause I have land with a similar view of the Great Rift valley. I'm not about to retire so no immediate plans for development. For now I have to be in Grogon building bedsitters for your college boys/girls, importing spares for your jalopies na kadhalika. In 10 years Grogon will be boom town and the capital gains/income from my bedsitters will more than enough to build a decent retirement home.

Wacha new money middle class wakule mali yao sisi old money are okay living humble changing the filthy sides of this town

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Time will tell. The only downside to your plans is that it is very difficult to shake off the historical reputation of a place. River Road for example will never connote luxury in the minds of Kenyans even if you build top class structures there. The same for Kangemi, Mukuru etc. But good luck in your quest.

New Normal!
gk
#705 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 8:19:04 AM

amorphous wrote:
amorphous wrote:

Sir invest wrote:

Says who?Drool
All I have is 100% clean fresh water delivered to my door whenever I want.
I also harvest 100% fresh and clean rainwater granted by God himself.
Pray

How are the rates like? Say for a small family lunch outing?
sqft
#706 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 9:32:50 AM

Dustbowl getting better and better.

Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
amorphous
#707 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 10:23:42 AM

gk wrote:

How are the rates like? Say for a small family lunch outing?

Shouldn't cost much if you're not planning on staying overnight. If staying overnight the rates are pricey kiasi. Would make an excellent family outing that your family will thank you for smile

https://www.lerruatlogre...upload/631601379140.pdf

https://www.lerruatlogresort.co.ke/dining
New Normal!
amorphous
#708 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 10:25:54 AM

sqft wrote:

Applause Applause Applause
New Normal!
amorphous
#709 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 10:35:10 AM

Rongai rising. Tinker et al..I am sure you will enjoy this one Applause smile

#DcIsTheFuture
New Normal!
cyruskulei
#710 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 10:35:17 AM

sqft wrote:

This is a great line of development.
Work hard at your job and you can make a living. Work hard on yourself and you can make a fortune.

sqft
#711 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 11:50:02 AM

cyruskulei wrote:
sqft wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BxJTWBUE8

This is a great line of development.

Very nice. An air bnb in some bush is making someone 300k per month (10k per day) while you would need >50m to make same amount of cash from rentals in nairobi.
Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
Gathige
#712 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 7:53:57 PM

amorphous wrote:

Rongai rising. Tinker et al..I am sure you will enjoy this one Applause smile

#DcIsTheFuture

I stopped watching when he said the dominant comunnity in Ongata Rongai are the Maasai. Rongai is so cosmopolitan
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
amorphous
#713 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2020 7:58:12 AM

Gathige wrote:

I stopped watching when he said the dominant comunnity in Ongata Rongai are the Maasai. Rongai is so cosmopolitan

I agree. He needs to do more research Drool
New Normal!
amorphous
#714 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2020 8:00:43 AM

In depth tour of the beautiful Riverine Estate in Jewel in the Crown.If these were in Lavington they would be going for 100m and up each. Tis a no brainer to get the same value for way less in DC and with more space and increasingly higher standards of living for Jewel in the Crowners Drool. Isitoshe, in ten years time they might be going for 50m and up meaning the upside in DC is incredible after you invest. Enjoy.
New Normal!
tinker
#715 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2020 9:11:26 PM

amorphous wrote:
Gathige wrote:

I agree. He needs to do more research Drool

Let the young man be!.
But I agree, kwa ground things are different.
He also confined his work to 'good' Ongata Rongai. A good journalist showcase the good, the bad and the ugly!.

The video was shot during low traffic hours.
We will not shy to say O.Rongai is almost ever Jam-packed. The said by-passes are being constructed at super slow speed, and the ongoing rains compounds the mess.
...#ifikie Gen.Badi.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
amorphous
#716 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 8:03:49 AM

House Prices Growth Stabilizes Amid Weakened Demand and Supply

House prices contracted by 0.08 percent in quarter three, up from 0.20 percent in the second quarter of 2020

Demand for apartments shrank by 63 percent while the demand for bungalows and maisonettes expanded by 9 percent and 72 percent respectively

https://www.kba.co.ke/news114.php

Quote:
"As we have argued before, during periods of a sharp contraction in economic activity house prices either remain flat or decline slightly. The fact that the decline is not as sharp is attributable to the slow response of both buyers and sellers in response to the declining economic prospects," observed Kenya Bankers Association Chief Executive Officer Dr. Habil Olaka.

The report further observes that homebuyers' preferences continue to be dominated by apartments accounting for 43 percent of the concluded transactions during the quarter and concentrated in Region 1, an indication of buyers' preference for affordable houses.

Quote:
The KBA-HPI regions are based on clustered price ranges across several counties as follows:

Region 1: Athi River, Mlolongo, Mavoko, Nakuru, Ngong, Ruaka, Syokimau, Embakasi, Kahawa Wendani, Thika, Mtwapa, Utange, Kitengela, Kiembeni, Nyeri, Likoni, Eldoret, Ruiru, Kilifi,Thika road (Kasarani, Roysambu, Ruaraka), Meru, Bungoma.

Region 2: Thindigua (Kiambu Road), Kiambu, South B, South C, Kabete, Komarock, Imara Daima, Membley, Buruburu, Rongai, Waiyaki Way (Uthiru, Regen, Kinoo, Kikuyu), Mbagathi road, Ngong Road, Langata.

Region 3: Kileleshwa, Kilimani, Lavington, Westlands, Spring Valley, Riverside, Milimani (Kisumu), Milimani (Nakuru), Runda, Karen, Garden Estate, Parklands, Ridgeways, Muthaiga, Loresho, Kitisuru, Adams Arcade, Nyali, Mountain View, Nyari.

These are all no brainers.

Dr Habil's thesis is way off the mark. "Slow response" has NOTHING to do with anything. Simple economics is what is dictating what is happening here.

The numbers corroborate what some of us have been saying all along. When you have the cheapest (and largest expanse of) available prime land within Nairobi Metropolitan, ceteris paribus, with the highest upside in cap gains and growth rates due to huge influx of middle classes moving in, economics 101 dictates that demand (and prices) will rise in those zones fairly better compared to others, until this status quo changes, which will not happen any time soon.

DC is ground zero of this push.

In fact the pandemic has taught Kenyans that finishing their building projects and clearing their loans so that they own their maisonettes and bungalows in DC and other region 1 areas outright is the smart move to make in these uncertain times. I have seen a crazy building boom in Jewel in the Crown alone since the pandemic started.

All the jiranis who left their houses half done for dog years are rushing to finish and move in. Those who used to cry DC is "too far"Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly (from where and what?) came back with their tail between their legs once they lost their jobs in Nairobi core or suffered huge business losses. The construction of the "Kitengela Expressway" ( named so because we will - by far- be the biggest beneficiaries of it Drool ) and the commuter rail DMUs that now reach Jewel in the Crown at Athi River Station daily as we speak, have also made such concerns history. In fact I predict that Athi River as a town will cease to exist except in name and County, as Jewelin the Crown, DC inevitably expands and swallows everything around it.

And the Jewel in the Crown business boom has also localised the economy such that fewer and fewer DC residents even need to commute at all. Everything we need and more is right here. The new joke is that every Jewel in the Crowner all has a local side hustle or is a local business owner outright, and this trend is growing by leaps and bounds daily. Jobseeking mentality is rapidly disappearing from Kenya's fastest growing town (courtesy of KNBS census data).

All this has created a beautiful spiral in DC in general and Jewel in the Crown to be specific

-Plot sales to former Nairobi renters have skyrocketed
-Nairobi core middle classes that lost their jobs have moved here in droves and started businesses which have created jobs and boosted the local DC economy
- Land prices/apartment sales and rentals have skyrocketed as pandemic hammers the economy and people realise paying 200k for a squalid 2br in Kileleshwa does not make sense when they can rent a 5 br bungalow with huuuuge garden in Jewel in the Crown for 50k.or better yet buy and build affordably and tell the landlord to jump in the lake

Bottom line as I said many years ago, the superboom in DC has not even started yet. DC has been the biggest beneficiary of the pandemic and things can only get better with time.

#DCisTheFuture
New Normal!
amorphous
#717 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 8:21:01 AM

Wukan's favourite DC city. I suspect he secretly wants to ditch his Grogon manenos and move to Ngong eventually given the dire news about Region 3 in the KBA report Laughing out loudly
New Normal!
amorphous
#718 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 6:23:03 PM

Quote:
Nairobi's Most Profitable Properties 2020

The Covid-19 pandemic may have curtailed gains made in various industries across the country, however, land price reports published since March 2020, show this prized asset as having made gains over the period.

Some Nairobi satellite towns have seen land prices grow more than 6 fold in just under 10 years.

These parcels of land can be termed as hot property as their returns over the last few years have been unmatched.

According to the Hass Property Index Quarter 3 report published in March, an acre of Land in Donholm was selling at Ksh68.9 million.

By October 2020, the same piece of property was now priced at Ksh70.3 million. This indicated a Ksh1.4 million spike in just 8 months.

Over the last decade, land prices in Donholm have grown 3.67 fold.

The satellite town of Juja has also recorded a surge, with land prices in the area growing 5.46 fold over the last 10 years. An acre of land currently goes for an average of Ksh14.6 million.

According to the Cytonn H1’2020 Market Review report on the land sector’s performance in the Nairobi Metropolitan Area, there was a reduced supply of development land at affordable prices in areas close to the Nairobi CBD resulting in demand for the same in satellite towns.

This could explain why Kitengela was ranked second in terms of return on investment. Only Donholm beat the satellite town located in Kajiado County that has witnessed 4.45 fold increase in land prices where an acre currently sells at approximately Ksh12.5 million.

Athi River and Loresho both recorded a 3.9 fold hike in land prices over the last decade.

Land prices in low rise residential area recorded a 3.8% capital appreciation in 2020.

This was attributed to the availability of development land in these areas. Additionally, people are attracted to these areas as they are sparsely populated, thus offering exclusivity and privacy.

Unserviced land in satellite towns such as Ruaka also recorded a capital appreciation of 3.8% attributed to the growing demand for land in these areas fueled by the demand for housing by the growing working population as the areas act as 'Nairobi’s dormitory', coupled by the improving infrastructure around the area.

The top 7 areas that recorded the biggest 10-year spikes in land prices as per the latest report were listed as follows:
Juja 5.46 fold
Kitengela 4.45 fold
Loresho 3.90 fold
Athi River 3.90 fold
Donholm 3.67 fold
Tigoni 3.65 fold
Ruiru 3.52 fold

The annual average is representative of the average price of land for sale in Nairobi covering the 18 highest activity suburbs.

The average value for land has gone from Ksh30.3 million in December 2007 to Ksh188.9 million in September 2020.

Upperhill still holds the top spot in terms of land prices with an acre going for Ksh512.1 million

Some of the changes expected in the industry include the digitisation of the Lands Ministry.

In May 2020, the Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning issued a notice to the public inviting them for public participation on the regulatory impact statement for the proposed Land Transactions (Electronic) Regulations 2020.

If approved, the regulations will guide land processes in the country. We expect this to boost the real estate sector through faster land transactions thus reducing delays experienced by developers during the pre-construction period.

https://www.kenyans.co.k...fitable-properties-2020

Nothing new here. These are things we have been saying all along. smile Drool
New Normal!
amorphous
#719 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 6:51:39 PM

Quote:
Small towns turn into Nairobi’s bedroom
By Peter Theuri | November 26th 2020 at 00:00:00 GMT +0300

https://www.standardmedi...n-into-nairobis-bedroom

Homeowners have now been lured away from the traditional detached bungalows to townhouses in leafy neighbourhoods, a new survey by the Kenya Bankers Association (KBA) indicates. [File, Standard]

Nairobi is bursting at the seams thanks to a rapidly swelling population, with the counties surrounding the city reaping the spoils.

The growth of Nairobi is inevitable, and like other rising cities, the capital keeps spreading its tentacles to rope in other townships.

As this happens, property prices continue to hike and the cost of living spirals out of control.

Nairobi is the most populous county in Kenya with a population of 4,397,073 people as at the 2019 census data. The population has grown 40 per cent in the last 10 years from 3,138,369 in 2009.

This means the city now accounts for 9.2 per cent of the country’s total population - and the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) projects it will host five million people in 2025.

Nairobi’s landmass is 703.9 square kilometres, meaning about 6,247 people occupy a square kilometre.

The congestion has seen city residents leaving to settle away from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis.

It is increasingly dawning on potential homeowners that buying a property in the city, or renting one as many do, is barely viable and makes little economic sense.

The major factor that keeps people near Nairobi is work.

But the yawning difference between property prices is forcing people to inch out as they seek to find homes in places that formerly lacked any allure.

Lilian Mbugua, an actuary who bought land and recently built a bungalow in Ruiru, has no regrets. She might not have afforded land nearer the central business district (CBD) at the same price.

“Everyone wants to settle near the city as possible, but the prices are very high. At Allsopps (Thika Road), it could be impossible to acquire land for the same price,” she tells Home & Away.

Factors she considered when buying land included the potential of the place to develop and restrictions in the area on high-rise buildings, where such plans are not approved.

In the profile of the city is also nauseating traffic gridlocks. To move out of Nairobi is to not only ease the congestion on the roads, but also to stir development outside the city.

To satisfy their basic needs such as shopping and health needs, sometimes people living around the city have to come into the CBD.

Establishment of shopping complexes elsewhere has however gradually eroded the need to live in close proximity to the city as people can access the services in the satellite towns.

It now makes sense to live in Kitengela, for example, without the need to frequently commute into Nairobi unless you work there.

Land is available, and considerably cheaper, in places away from an overpopulated city.

“The congestion and lack of habitable areas close to the city due to the rising population and expansion of businesses has led people to seek alternative places to settle their families, such as Nairobi’s outskirts where it is easier for them to commute to work daily,” says Kennedy Murimi, the director of Denver Group, a Kamulu-based real estate company.

“The key reason for the movement is families looking for places in which they can raise their children in an environment conducive for their growth, and security for their future.”

Some of the preferred destinations are Machakos, Ngong, Kitengela and Juja, some well over 30 kilometres outside the city centre.

Land prices are favourable and starting a life in serene surroundings with modern amenities is a huge attraction.

“At Kamulu town, for example, you can buy a plot of land at Sh1.2 million to Sh1.8 million,” Mr Murimi says.

Joska in Machakos county is cheaper, a 50 by 100 feet plot selling at between Sh850,000 and Sh1 million, he says.

Other places such as Ngong would see the same piece going for between Sh650,000 and Sh850,000.

But Nairobi is still a commercial and administrative hub and decongesting it will be hard, with the secondary towns around it designed as “dormitory towns”, according to land planner Samuel Mburu.

“Some of these towns are people’s homes. They live here but are in the long queues snaking into town every morning for work. Nairobi is thus not decongesting.”

Nairobi City is a growth pole, he says. “That means it has all the infrastructural services to feed the needs of people. It presents itself as a major primary town with activities sprawling out from the main centre.”

A plan to decongest the city started with the setting up of the Ministry of Nairobi Metropolitan Development in 2008 and subsequent creation of Nairobi Metropolitan Region in 2010.

The government published the Nairobi Metro 2030 that outlined a plan for a primary city surrounded by many other smaller towns.

These secondary towns were coming up to support the capital city, designed such that they were capable of offering complimentary facilities at the same level as the city.

The strategy was good as services were meant to trickle closer to the people. It has not been realised yet, but there is progress to note.

“The plan was to take services closer to the people and to ensure that they do not need to come to the city because what they need is provided for in more accessible areas,” says Mr Mburu.

Kitengela thus came up to serve people that needed to access Machakos, Kajiado and Nairobi towns for work.

But Mburu is not certain the city is about to decongest.

“As long as towns such as Kitengela do not themselves become economic towns and remain largely residential ones, then the city is unlikely to decongest,” he says.

The establishment of county governments has led to provision of services in the regions without requiring people to go to the country’s capital.

Devolution means people can settle and work away from Nairobi without once needing to access the city.

“If Isinya, for example, is converted into a special economic zone, then the people coming from Kitengela to the city can have an alternative. That already reduces congestion in the city,” says Mburu.

Facilities such as banking have now found their way into some of these smaller towns around the city.

People love to live near where they work. But forced away from the city by costs, they buy land out there where they are affordable.

“The further you go from the city, the cheaper the land. That is why there are more people driving further out of town,” says Mburu.

In Thika, plots are going for as little as Sh1 million to Sh2 million. Juja town, which is fast-growing, sees the same sell at between Sh650,000 and Sh1 million.

This is a low price in comparison to what one would have to fork out in the city and the first phase of decongestion, the residential one, seems to be doing alright

Againn nothing new here.

Quote:
“As long as towns such as Kitengela do not themselves become economic towns and remain largely residential ones, then the city is unlikely to decongest,” (Mburu) says.

Mburu's thesis is way off the mark and he clearly has not been to Jewel in the Crown lately

- Jewel in the Crown is rapidly becoming an economic hub of its own standing
-Crazy business boom by middle class investors who live and work in Kitengela. Businesses here are growing like weeds.
- 70 percent or more of Kitengelans are youths...millenials and below. A huge majority of them i would venture to say work locally in Kitengela, own small biasharas and seldom commute to Nai core for "jobs" na kadhalika
- Commuters are a minority..mostly older, established long time civil servants na kadhalika. Covid lockdown induced unemployment has shaved those numbers big time. They are all realising that without control of your own destiny (owning your own business in Kitengela) you are doomed when they axe you from what you thought was a secure job.
- Jewel in the Crown now has everything In fact I would say it has even more amenities at affordable cost compared to nai core for those who live and work in Jewel in the Crown. Posh hotels with pools kila mahali, Club on an airplane under construction, GMC place largest heated pool in East and central Africa. Lerruat Swiss style log resort in the hills nearby, Fresh organic food everywhere delivered to your doorstep...the list is endless. In fact these days waking up to find a new unique biashara up and running on Namanga rd or a neighbour groundbreaking for a new maisonette next to you is ordinary business in Jewel in the Crown.
-Mother of all construction booms (both residential and commercial) ongoing as we speak

Bottom line I shudder to think what Jewel in the Crown will look like in 5 years!

NIMESEMA!
-
New Normal!
tinker
#720 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2020 9:18:15 AM

I agree the writter is way off.

Ati "Other places such as Ngong would see the same piece going for between Sh650,000 and Sh850,000".

Where in Ngong can you get a 1/8th for 850K?.
Not even in Kimuka.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..