#21 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2020 7:34:08 AM

Tuskys has defaulted on a ksh.2.6bn loan owed to DTB
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
KaunganaDoDo
#22 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2020 10:34:38 AM

Ericsson wrote:

They were fooled by Tuskys about Recovery bla bla bla...Now add the 3.5 Billion they lost in Nakumatt.

So DTB has blocked Tuskys Account which has only 34'Million shillings...

Fyatu
#23 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2020 10:50:20 AM

KaunganaDoDo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

They were fooled by Tuskys about Recovery bla bla bla...Now add the 3.5 Billion they lost in Nakumatt.

So DTB has blocked Tuskys Account which has only 34'Million shillings...

Wololo yaye...in other jurisdictions like USA, someone would have been jailed for 350 years without bail/bond
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
VituVingiSana
#24 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2020 10:56:38 AM

KaunganaDoDo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

So DTB has blocked Tuskys Account which has only 34'Million shillings..
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Even though I have some DTB shares, I find this rather amusing. After losing 3.5bn in Nakumatt, you give 2.6bn to its sibling in crime? Laughing out loudly
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
KaunganaDoDo
#25 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2020 12:19:06 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
KaunganaDoDo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Even though I have some DTB shares, I find this rather amusing. After losing 3.5bn in Nakumatt, you give 2.6bn to its sibling in crime? Laughing out loudly

So DTB is really in the thick of things...They gave out the money in July 2020 when Tuskys was doing PR campaign, even Vimal Shah was the one of the guests in the PR show....Equity Bank has 280M debt also...

Meanwhile Tuskys has about 3.1 Billion in loans and 6.9 B in suppliers debt...against no Asset just the name...
winmak
#26 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2020 3:14:30 PM

KaunganaDoDo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
KaunganaDoDo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

So DTB is really in the thick of things...They gave out the money in July 2020 when Tuskys was doing PR campaign, even Vimal Shah was the one of the guests in the PR show....Equity Bank has 280M debt also...

Meanwhile Tuskys has about 3.1 Billion in loans and 6.9 B in suppliers debt...against no Asset just the name...

Govt should just criminalize this 'consignment model' of running retail stores
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
Ericsson
#27 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2020 7:27:54 PM

winmak wrote:
KaunganaDoDo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
KaunganaDoDo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

The cartels won't agree.
Kenya is a man eat man society
VituVingiSana
#28 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2020 6:53:13 AM

winmak wrote:
KaunganaDoDo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
KaunganaDoDo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

The "Consignment Model" is common and makes sense for retailers. The retailer doesn't want to be stuck with slow moving goods whereas the seller/importer/manufacturer finds a place to sell his goods.

Without the consignment model, a retailer may choose to stock what is guaranteed to move vs try new brands or products.

The weakness lies in the corporate governance and laws. There are contracts in place and they should be adhered to but that's where the problem starts. Going to court is expensive and takes ages.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
winmak
#29 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2020 6:30:26 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
winmak wrote:
KaunganaDoDo wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
KaunganaDoDo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

The "Consignment Model" is common and makes sense for retailers. The retailer doesn't want to be stuck with slow moving goods whereas the seller/importer/manufacturer finds a place to sell his goods.

Without the consignment model, a retailer may choose to stock what is guaranteed to move vs try new brands or products.

The weakness lies in the corporate governance and laws. There are contracts in place and they should be adhered to but that's where the problem starts. Going to court is expensive and takes ages.

Clearly in Kenya it is being abused.

Pardon my rudimentary understanding of complex businesses but if you are going to take some form of credit (corporate bond, commercial loan), shouldn't there be some form of asset backing? that the lender can resort to in case of default? Can't the regulator insist on a fraction of their profits be used to have fixed assets so that in future access to secured credit is easier?
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
VituVingiSana
#30 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2020 2:50:15 AM

Loans come in ALL shapes and sizes. It all depends on the Lender and the Borrower.

From zero collateral e.g. Fuliza to heavily collateralized e.g. real estate loans/mortgages. Even then there are issues for the latter!

What hard assets would a bank e.g. DTB collateralize when Tuskys probably rents/leases the stores, furniture and buys goods on credit?

The "regulator" - who would that be? - can enact rules based on laws but there are issues with that too. Who should be regulated?
The supermarkets?
Which ones?
Which size?
Who will monitor that?

As they say, do check out who you go into business with!

Perhaps it is time for a group of "suppliers" to start their own supermarket chain. Not easy though!
Fyatu
#31 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2020 8:05:30 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Loans come in ALL shapes and sizes. It all depends on the Lender and the Borrower.

From zero collateral e.g. Fuliza to heavily collateralized e.g. real estate loans/mortgages. Even then there are issues for the latter!

What hard assets would a bank e.g. DTB collateralize when Tuskys probably rents/leases the stores, furniture and buys goods on credit?

The "regulator" - who would that be? - can enact rules based on laws but there are issues with that too. Who should be regulated?
The supermarkets?
Which ones?
Which size?
Who will monitor that?

Perhaps it is time for a group of "suppliers" to start their own supermarket chain. Not easy though!

Did DTK write-off Nakumatt loan from its books? forgive my ignorance
VituVingiSana
#32 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2020 4:37:15 PM

Fyatu wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

The supermarkets?
Which ones?
Which size?
Who will monitor that?

Most banks do not directly comment on specific loans or clients so I cannot answer this for certain BUT in short it should have been provisioned. I assume they provisioned 100% after Nakumatt went into bankruptcy.

A write-off is technically different.
Fyatu
#33 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2020 6:46:27 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

The supermarkets?
Which ones?
Which size?
Who will monitor that?

Most banks do not directly comment on specific loans or clients so I cannot answer this for certain BUT in short it should have been provisioned. I assume they provisioned 100% after Nakumatt went into bankruptcy.

A write-off is technically different.

Thanks bwana @VVS. I am inside this bus and i don't like the Tusky's dossier even one bit. Nakumatt, Imperial and Chasebank collapse really messed up the financial markets sana sana some listed firms that held their commercial paper.

A Tusky's collapse could be fatal to some suppliers...
VituVingiSana
#34 Posted : Saturday, October 31, 2020 1:50:26 AM

@Fyatu - The past is the past so for now forget about what price you bought the shares.

Let's look at the current price of 62/-.

At 62/-, the market has fully discounted DIRECT and KNOWN losses from Nakumatt and Tuskys.

Mambo za watu wengine, as much as it hurts, is not an issue for DTB shareholders UNLESS they owe money to DTB. What DTB needs to do is investigate those who have borrowed from DTB and are stuck with Tuskys debt.

E.g. Acme Limited supplied Widgets to Tuskys. Acme borrowed 1mn, imported raw materials and manufactured widgets it sent to Tuskys. Tuskys owes Acme 1mn and is not paying. Ouch.

DTB needs to follow up with Acme but also NPL the 1mn if Acme is struggling to pay. Acme may pay, but slowly from Acme's profits from sales to Carrefour, so there may not be a need to provision the full 1mn.

NPLs = There is a possibility of the loan going bad. A balance sheet item.

Provision = A certain % of the loan has gone bad or very likely to go bad. BUT the bank can wait patiently, restructure/renegotiate or go to court for breach. It shows up on the P&L and Balance Sheet (Look under Disclosures)

Write-off = Bank has given up. It cleans up the Balance Sheet. There is no "loss" on the P&L but the Balance Sheet shrinks.

*There are accounting conventions.
Ericsson
#35 Posted : Saturday, October 31, 2020 10:44:40 AM

DTB 2020
Q1--2.95bn
Q2--1.53bn
Ericsson
#36 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2020 8:50:34 PM

Ericsson wrote:
DTB 2020
Q1--2.95bn
Q2--1.53bn

Q3--2.12bn
Ericsson
#37 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2021 12:04:39 PM

DTB is consolidating six branches that are adjacent to each other;
-Oval and 9West both to Westgate
-Eastleigh to Madina Mall
-Garden City to TRM Mall
-Jamhuri Street to Malindi
-Kago street to Eldoret
Ericsson
#38 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2021 6:43:34 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
DTB 2020
Q1--2.95bn
Q2--1.53bn

Q3--2.12bn

Q4--Loss of 1.932bn

FY2020 PBT Ksh.4.668bn
A drop of 58.5% from FY2019 figure
No dividend declared

https://pbs.twimg.com/me...at=png&name=900x900

https://www.nse.co.ke/ph...ar-ended-31-dec-2020.pdf
VituVingiSana
#39 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2021 6:55:52 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
DTB 2020
Q1--2.95bn
Q2--1.53bn

Q3--2.12bn

Q4--Loss of 1.932bn

FY2020 PBT Ksh.4.668bn
A drop of 58.5% from FY2019 figure
No dividend declared

Poor results. I do not mind the extra provisions in 4Q since it is good to be conservative but no dividend is Sad d'oh! since it pays low dividends anyway. The same as last year would have been good.
Elephant Man
#40 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2021 10:20:07 AM

Tight fisted and mean spirited attitude in an era where every penny given to shareholders in dividend is a blessing...you don't grow shareholder value by taking everything to retained earnings! nkt...