wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages«<345
Land Speculation Remastered
Tokyo
#81 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:40:22 AM

Infrastructure development remains best way to rein escalating land prices. But considering its not likely soon , best alternatives must be considered.
Idle land tax concept introduction will be politicised and hard to implement equally and efficiently to all. Let us not think if the law has been possible elsewhere like US it will be successful in Kenya.
I tend to believe we should sturdy and learn from some Asian countries- high population with many poor. Yet low land related violence.
1. You must develop your land 3yrs after acquiring. Failure you pay specific penalties. - that will reduce speculation.
2.inheritance tax should be introduced. Equivalent to a third or half of land value.- this will reduce uneconomic subdivision which to me is far worse than speculation.
That law should apply only to new land acquired e.g from July2015 to ensure unpleasant tensions and disruption are minimized.
work to prosper
Lolest!
#82 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:34:00 AM

I like your thoughts @Tokyo but inheritance tax will be more politicised than land value tax.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Tokyo
#83 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:14:25 AM

Lolest! wrote:
I like your thoughts @Tokyo but inheritance tax will be more politicised than land value tax.

We can reduce that by being specific on implementation. That is all new land transaction which involves change of ownership starting from example 2015 July.
Imagine those energetic , lazy young people drinking and loitering around in our rural Kenya waiting for their parents to subdivide those small portions. Some even murdering their own parents to quicken inheritance process. I suggest slap them with 50% inheritance tax on the land value. Meaning it will be economical to sell whole portion intact or put it in productive use. Then the buyer must put it in proper use within 3yrs or punitive penalties. That will usher in a new era of WORKING NATION.
work to prosper
Am
#84 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:37:55 AM

murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
@dunkang, the dilemma is where all this money comes from. Assuming most people's primary source of money is salary, wages aren't rising as fast!

Well apart from the pirate money that we dont know how much it could be, there are Kenyans abroad willing and seeking to invest at home plus the oil play. If your buying westlands then you are competing with the likes of Mukesh Ambani, in June he got 10 prime plots, then Look at Lamu and Mombasa...do you think the English Point Marina is being built by that guy Kamau on the street?

smile smile smile
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God..
Lolest!
#85 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:33:51 AM

Tokyo wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

We can reduce that by being specific on implementation. That is all new land transaction which involves change of ownership starting from example 2015 July.
Imagine those energetic , lazy young people drinking and loitering around in our rural Kenya waiting for their parents to subdivide those small portions. Some even murdering their own parents to quicken inheritance process. I suggest slap them with 50% inheritance tax on the land value. Meaning it will be economical to sell whole portion intact or put it in productive use. Then the buyer must put it in proper use within 3yrs or punitive penalties. That will usher in a new era of WORKING NATION.

Sounds great but it also will mean a change of culture. Currently sale of ancestral land is frowned upon in many cultures.
passiveinvestor
#86 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:46:09 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

Sounds great but it also will mean a change of culture. Currently sale of ancestral land is frowned upon in many cultures.

Assuming all land owners will eventually pass on and the law requires recognition of all children and spouses in divvying up the estate, then how will levying an inheritance tax on people who have no cash work? KRA would have to take over the land and auction it, say for 50-60% of the land's value. Harafu.....
a4architect.com
#87 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:48:16 PM

from this live ngilu grilling on ktn here

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/ktn/live

there are so many legal lacunas in the land law. The national land commsision needs to be reconstituted with experts.
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
Lolest!
#88 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:16:21 PM

a4architect.com wrote:
from this live ngilu grilling on ktn here

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/ktn/live

there are so many legal lacunas in the land law. The national land commsision needs to be reconstituted with experts.

which experts, the likes of Swazuri and Konyimbih have been in this game for long!
Swenani
#89 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2020 10:42:37 AM

Swenani
#90 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2020 10:53:47 AM