Rentals
Jon Jones
#1 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 6:32:14 PM

How do guys go about building an apartment block using a contractor?? For example, if I need 500k in net rental income monthly, and decide that a block of 5 floors will serve that purpose, what next? Assuming I have the land, and the money to build the entire block, how does one go about hiring a contractor and what should one expect? Do I just find a project manager to help with the paperwork, an architect and engineer...and later bring in the contractor to actualize the drawings?? How involved will I be in the process if a contractor is involved?? I am extremely green about matters construction and my hustles have been doing well so I'm considering investing in property now or in the near future. I have had this thought for over a year now and the threads I read on wazua don't seem to answer my specific queries, particularly about an apartment block and working with a contractor.
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2020 12:33:35 PM

Jon Jones wrote:
How do guys go about building an apartment block using a contractor?? For example, if I need 500k in net rental income monthly, and decide that a block of 5 floors will serve that purpose, what next? Assuming I have the land, and the money to build the entire block, how does one go about hiring a contractor and what should one expect? Do I just find a project manager to help with the paperwork, an architect and engineer...and later bring in the contractor to actualize the drawings?? How involved will I be in the process if a contractor is involved?? I am extremely green about matters construction and my hustles have been doing well so I'm considering investing in property now or in the near future. I have had this thought for over a year now and the threads I read on wazua don't seem to answer my specific queries, particularly about an apartment block and working with a contractor.

If you are doing a full contract with an NCA registered contractor all you need to do is sign the contract and write the cheque!
New Normal!
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2020 1:06:28 PM

Jon Jones wrote:

If you are doing a full contract with an NCA registered contractor all you need to do is sign the contract and write the cheque!

I agree, and I add "s" Cheques.
The agreement MUST have exit/termination clauses. Pay in phases!.
shocks
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 9:36:48 AM

repeat post
shocks
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 9:46:50 AM

Jon Jones wrote:

First step is to assemble a team of consultants, architect, structural engineer(yours truly) and a quantity surveyor, you may also opt to have a services engineer(to handle electricity, plumbing, AC, lifts, any automation.....)
Give the architect a brief and he will design something that fits your intentions and budget. Then the structural engineer takes those architectueal designs and does his drawings ensuring the building is structurally sound(we deal in concrete and steel). These two sets of drawings are required for local authority approval.
Then the Q.S prices those designs and gives you a breakdown of a bill of materials required and their estimate costs. They also prepare a schedule of costs that shows you at what stage how much is required.
Now with this document from the Q.S, you can now shop around for a contractor. Most developers do contracts in two ways,
i) labour contracts where you buy all buildimg materials and pay the contractor for his labour input.
ii) full contract where you pay the contractor for both materials and labour.

Your consultants led by the Q.S should advice you along this process of settling on a contractor and avoiding some traps contractors can setup.

When all this is done and dusted,you hire a C.o.W (clerk of works) who will be your eyes on site during the construction period. If you het the right team the project should be smooth sailing.

You should be on top of all decisions made in your project, trust your consultants and c.o.w to have your back but at the same time verify. Don't let anyone esp. consultants to dictate which other consultants/contractors to employ, even tho you want a team that works well together ,you don't want people who owe their allegiances to another party. You have to attend site meetings and inspections.
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 11:23:01 AM

shocks wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

First step is to assemble a team of consultants, architect, structural engineer(yours truly) and a quantity surveyor, you may also opt to have a services engineer(to handle electricity, plumbing, AC, lifts, any automation.....)
Give the architect a brief and he will design something that fits your intentions and budget. Then the structural engineer takes those architectueal designs and does his drawings ensuring the building is structurally sound(we deal in concrete and steel). These two sets of drawings are required for local authority approval.
Then the Q.S prices those designs and gives you a breakdown of a bill of materials required and their estimate costs. They also prepare a schedule of costs that shows you at what stage how much is required.
Now with this document from the Q.S, you can now shop around for a contractor. Most developers do contracts in two ways,
i) labour contracts where you buy all buildimg materials and pay the contractor for his labour input.

Your consultants led by the Q.S should advice you along this process of settling on a contractor and avoiding some traps contractors can setup.

When all this is done and dusted,you hire a C.o.W (clerk of works) who will be your eyes on site during the construction period. If you het the right team the project should be smooth sailing.

You should be on top of all decisions made in your project, trust your consultants and c.o.w to have your back but at the same time verify. Don't let anyone esp. consultants to dictate which other consultants/contractors to employ, even tho you want a team that works well together ,you don't want people who owe their allegiances to another party. You have to attend site meetings and inspections.

Thanks shocks, very well articulated.
Jon Jones
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 6:17:30 PM

shocks wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

Thank you Shocks. This is exactly what I was looking for that isn't present in other threads. Simple and direct to the point. Applause Applause Applause
Since men have learned to shoot without missing, I have learned to fly without perching
#8 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 10:21:10 AM

shocks wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

Hehehehe shocks is a theory guy. These "consultants" are good for the theory part but after approvals, wachia the experts. Who in their right mind has the moolah to waste hiring a "Clerk of Works" even on a full contract? Jon Jones utalipa through the nose going with such theoretical advice!!!
New Normal!
#9 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 4:06:05 PM

Jon Jones wrote:
shocks wrote:
Jon Jones wrote:

Thank you Shocks. This is exactly what I was looking for that isn't present in other threads. Simple and direct to the point. Applause Applause Applause

You can also get a full design and build company like https://blueprintdesignandbuild.com/. I know a pal who worked with them and they did all the steps for them.

However it is wise to have your own clerk of works to be your person on the ground.

The advantage of using professionals is when shit hits the fan... which always happens in construction professionals have their licenses at stake and have to remedy things with you. Fundi on the other hand .... if you don't have time to micromanage them please use a contractor and professionals.

Also please note anyne telling you to build on your own is setting you up. Fundi's will eat from you and will cost you the same if not more than the professionals and will cost you time. Professionals don't like wasting time on projects since they aren't paid per day.

#10 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 5:22:38 PM

tony stark wrote:

You can also get a full design and build company like https://blueprintdesignandbuild.com/. I know a pal who worked with them and they did all the steps for them.

However it is wise to have your own clerk of works to be your person on the ground.

The advantage of using professionals is when shit hits the fan... which always happens in construction professionals have their licenses at stake and have to remedy things with you. Fundi on the other hand .... if you don't have time to micromanage them please use a contractor and professionals.

Also please note anyne telling you to build on your own is setting you up. Fundi's will eat from you and will cost you the same if not more than the professionals and will cost you time. Professionals don't like wasting time on projects since they aren't paid per day.

Wueeeeeewueeeeeeh! Tony_Stark - the man who said last year that real estate is DOOMED to smithereens - and not worth investing in..is now giving constructive mawaidhas about the same. Good stuff. That stint in jela really did you good in terms of rehabilitation Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Keep it upApplause Applause Applause
New Normal!
#11 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 5:37:06 PM

Guess who the biggest beneficiary of the Ngong Road expansion has been and will continue to be. Ngong town and suburbs, DC of course Drool The commute from CBD to Ngong is now nyweeeeeee as opposed to the nightmare it had been just a couple of years ago!!
New Normal!
Jon Jones
#12 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 5:38:26 PM

Guess who the biggest beneficiary of the Ngong Road expansion has been and will continue to be. Ngong town and suburbs, DC of course Drool The commute from CBD to Ngong is now nyweeeeeee as opposed to the nightmare it had been just a couple of years ago!!

By the way, how friendly is Ngong to Kikuyus?? Is it an investor-friendly location?? Is there a critical mass/number of Mountaineers there??
#13 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 7:48:03 PM

Jon Jones wrote:

By the way, how friendly is Ngong to Kikuyus?? Is it an investor-friendly location?? Is there a critical mass/number of Mountaineers there??

Ngong is basically an extension of former Central Province. The fact that the local MP is a mountaineer is quite telling.

Having said that, its important to point out that, lately, Ngong has seen an influx of Matiangi's cousins. Even the speaker of the Kisii County Assembly has settled in Ngong.
#14 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 9:56:56 PM

Queen wrote:
]

Ngong is basically an extension of former Central Province. The fact that the local MP is a mountaineer is quite telling.

Having said that, its important to point out that, lately, Ngong has seen an influx of Matiangi's cousins. Even the speaker of the Kisii County Assembly has settled in Ngong.

With all due respect to Kissinger's in he house and in Kenya as a whole...

Wherever you find a Mountaineer, you are sure to find a Kissinger. Its a strange co-relation.....both these communities have been lying low like antelopes in Rift valley since 1992.

If you go to Mwiki,Ruai,wi-teithie, Embakasi, Mwihoko, Mtwapa,Mpeketoni and DC...you will find both living bega kwa bega and co-existing peacefully building the nation without maswali mingi mingi na fitina...
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2020 3:41:07 PM

Wueeeeeewueeeeeeh! Tony_Stark - the man who said last year that real estate is DOOMED to smithereens - and not worth investing in..is now giving constructive mawaidhas about the same. Good stuff. That stint in jela really did you good in terms of rehabilitation Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Keep it upApplause Applause Applause

I think you have me confused. Your idea of real estate being a shaba in DC is not everyones idea of real estate.

Kama hakuna rental income sitaki kucheza mchezo ya casino with land anywhere. Kama haitakuwa mjengo kesho wacha ikae.

Kaka when you stop obsessing with DC you will see many more opportunities. Deals sio DC pekee!
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 1:39:01 PM

tony stark wrote:

I think you have me confused. Your idea of real estate being a shaba in DC is not everyones idea of real estate.

Kama hakuna rental income sitaki kucheza mchezo ya casino with land anywhere. Kama haitakuwa mjengo kesho wacha ikae.

Kaka when you stop obsessing with DC you will see many more opportunities. Deals sio DC pekee!

And who lied to you that this is "my idea of real estate being a shaba in DC"? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
And who lied to you that there is no rental income in DC?
As for "may more opportunities" show us..on a shilling for shilling basis where they are tukuamini. Na usituambie hizo za 5 million for a 1/8th in crime infested Juja!
New Normal!
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 9:32:36 PM

tony stark wrote:

And who lied to you that this is "my idea of real estate being a shaba in DC"? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
And who lied to you that there is no rental income in DC?
As for "may more opportunities" show us..on a shilling for shilling basis where they are tukuamini. Na usituambie hizo za 5 million for a 1/8th in crime infested Juja!

Sawa sawa. Congratulations on making it. Mimi bado ni kuhustle!