wazua Thu, Oct 1, 2020
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Startup Laundry business
bizbyte
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:51:20 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 5/25/2010
Posts: 27
Location: Nairobi
Hi Wazuans!

I am thinking about setting up a laundry Think . Any of you in this line of business?

1. What is your take on the market
2. Capital costs - laundry equipment, hangars smile
3. Ideas on good quality laundry equipment at reasonable cost
4. Running costs - electricity & water
5. Personal experiences on dos & donts

Truebeauty
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:10:34 AM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 1/16/2014
Posts: 25
I have no experience in laudnry business, my startup is in the catering industry. Started it just this year. My major challenge is in keeping records/books of accouts. I am so so poor at it (before starting the venture I assumed I could hack it) that I'm thinking of getting an accountant to do it for me at the same time walk me through the process.

So, the only do/don't I can offer is that at least make sure you've got your records/accounting part on point.
bizbyte
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:08:28 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 5/25/2010
Posts: 27
Location: Nairobi
Truebeauty wrote:
I have no experience in laudnry business, my startup is in the catering industry. Started it just this year. My major challenge is in keeping records/books of accouts. I am so so poor at it (before starting the venture I assumed I could hack it) that I'm thinking of getting an accountant to do it for me at the same time walk me through the process.

So, the only do/don't I can offer is that at least make sure you've got your records/accounting part on point.



Thank you - advice well taken
Chaka
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:43:49 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 2/16/2007
Posts: 2,114
Are khushal Singh and White Rose still in business?I think one of your headaches will be power outages..
newfarer
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:40:46 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/19/2010
Posts: 3,479
Location: Uganda
Truebeauty wrote:
I have no experience in laudnry business, my startup is in the catering industry. Started it just this year. My major challenge is in keeping records/books of accouts. I am so so poor at it (before starting the venture I assumed I could hack it) that I'm thinking of getting an accountant to do it for me at the same time walk me through the process.

So, the only do/don't I can offer is that at least make sure you've got your records/accounting part on point.



bookkeeping in what you are doing is my forte .Naweza saidia wewe.

if interested hook up on newfarer10@gmail.com
punda amecheka
newfarer
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:45:23 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 3/19/2010
Posts: 3,479
Location: Uganda
bizbyte wrote:
Hi Wazuans!

I am thinking about setting up a laundry Think . Any of you in this line of business?

1. What is your take on the market
2. Capital costs - laundry equipment, hangars smile
3. Ideas on good quality laundry equipment at reasonable cost
4. Running costs - electricity & water
5. Personal experiences on dos & donts



commercial laundry machines are not that cheap to buy and maintain. infact most hotels and restaurants outsource laundry work ask yourself why yet they are heavy consumers of laundry services.
punda amecheka
bizbyte
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 10:37:51 PM
Rank: New-farer


Joined: 5/25/2010
Posts: 27
Location: Nairobi
newfarer wrote:
bizbyte wrote:
Hi Wazuans!

I am thinking about setting up a laundry Think . Any of you in this line of business?

1. What is your take on the market
2. Capital costs - laundry equipment, hangars smile
3. Ideas on good quality laundry equipment at reasonable cost
4. Running costs - electricity & water
5. Personal experiences on dos & donts



commercial laundry machines are not that cheap to buy and maintain. infact most hotels and restaurants outsource laundry work ask yourself why yet they are heavy consumers of laundry services.


Point taken on the initial costs & maintenance. On a side note from a business angle, I should think the reason why one would outsource is so as not to make a capital investment in what is not their CORE business or if there is some savings. In most cases it is always cheaper if you DIY as opposed to outsourcing. There has to be a profit though. I don't think the laundry industry would be running a loss trying to do the hotel industry a favor. Just my 2 cents
kmucheke
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2020 6:40:29 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/16/2019
Posts: 174
bizbyte wrote:
Hi Wazuans!

I am thinking about setting up a laundry Think . Any of you in this line of business?

1. What is your take on the market
2. Capital costs - laundry equipment, hangars smile
3. Ideas on good quality laundry equipment at reasonable cost
4. Running costs - electricity & water
5. Personal experiences on dos & donts



@bizbyte

How far with your laundry business?

Came accross this article in BD LG opens first East Africa laundry shop in Nairobi

Quote:
LG Electronics has opened its first East Africa’s laundry shop in the country as it eyes the growing demand for washing services among low income and middle income earners.

The new facility, which is in partnership with LG’s products sole-distributor Hotpoint Appliance Limited, will be located at the Point Mall in Buruburu, Nairobi.

It will charge Sh600 for a seven-kilo clothes, including washing and drying, and targets item like sheets and duvets.

... washing shops will be managed by franchisees with the company providing them with complete LG washer and dryer equipment installations and end-to-end business supports.

Whereas LG will provide the product, technology and functionality of the products, he said Hotpoint Appliance Limited will handle installations and franchise businesses.

... they (shops) will also offer pick-up and delivery services for customers unwilling to visit stores amid the Covid-19 pandemic.


From the article it seems this will be a franchise business model.

There is also a Spanish startup that introduced a type of "uber for laundry service" last year in Kenya called Mr Jeff.

Anyone who has used them? If so how would you rate them?

Link

It will be very interesting to see how both businesses will do in the next five years.
Will they succeed and drive Mama Fuas out of business?
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Copyright © 2020 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.