wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Where is Mutahi Ngunyi?
yekeyeke
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:08:48 PM

For the last two weeks, we have not seen Mutahi Ngunyi's column in the sunday nation. I have always found his column to be thought provocative....

Anyone out there who knows what could be up?
kivairu
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 9:44:09 PM

He probably realized that you cant fool all the people all the time, through some warped logic and intellectual dishonesty.For this, i stopped buying/reading the Sunday nation many many weeks ago.He's ridiculously, vain.The complete face of vanity, without any rational solution to issues he writes about.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein.
youcan'tstopusnow
#3 Posted : Friday, July 09, 2010 10:09:40 AM

Maybe he just realised he is the most "popular" writer in Kenya since Wahome Mutahi a.k.a Whispers and is holding out for more money.
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
Mpenzi
#4 Posted : Friday, July 09, 2010 11:09:08 AM

Am surprised that many people take Mutahi so seriously - he keeps stating in his pieces that he shouldnt be taken too seriously. All you need is to read his pieces with a light touch. Failure to do this you will be disappointed. Without question he is a good writer but he is no soothsayer for those of you that want him to read your palms for you.
winston
#5 Posted : Friday, July 09, 2010 2:12:59 PM

Mutahi- is a good writer and analyst. He tends to bring a different 'spin' to our politics. It would be wrong to equate his 'errors' to intellectual dishonesty.

I think the sunday nation is a poorer read for lack of his column.
kadonye
#6 Posted : Friday, July 09, 2010 2:35:58 PM

His articles are very good for 'political entertainment'.However, he is seriour about some stuff he writes e.g the constitution,he is totally convinced that the draft is horrible
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
kivairu
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 9:07:21 AM

Newspapers shape public opinion in a very unprecedented way, in a very big way.Simple question here....how many of us read the newspaper and believe what's written? How many of us turn to the newspaper to keep up to speed with what's going on? If i remember well the media houses undertook to positively report on the new constitution and highlight truths and myths in the new katiba.It beats logic then that the same papers would publish mutahi's fallacies and cynicism on the constitution and not label it as 'myths'. If the dude shouldn't be taken seriously as he so claims, he should be assigned 'whisper's ' column, where he belongs.

story teller
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 9:24:38 AM

I choose to differ on this one. Many say he is entertaining...don't read between the lines blah blah blah. Question is how many of us think he is just a goofy, humorous guy, not to be taken seriously, I believe that he eschews a very dangerous message, a divisive message. We are still recovering from the post election violence and the trauma it inflicted on so many. We need people to preach peace, to unite us, to celebrate our diversity. I also believe in free speech but he pushes the boundaries so far whether in pursuit of fame or fortune.

I still remember how it all started in Rwanda..a little known radio station talking of "cutting the tall trees" . The rest is history.They live with the scars to this very day . I honestly believe just like the politicians, the majority who read his column take it very very seriously. When you repeat a lie so many times, it becomes true to most.
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
Mpenzi
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 2:05:35 PM

storyteller

Please quote any piece where Mutahi is putting forward a divisive message or hate speech. Or is analysing various scenarios and pointing out problematic areas in the Proposed Constitution hate speech and/or divisive?
Intelligentsia
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 2:49:24 PM

Oops, didn't even realize the bozzo is missing!
This idea of reading stories/ email forwards and tryin to liken to them to kenya's very peculiar politics is a lot of cow dung that no one should ever take seriously Shame on you
youcan'tstopusnow
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:31:53 PM

story teller wrote:
I honestly believe just like the politicians, the majority who read his column take it very very seriously. When you repeat a lie so many times, it becomes true to most.

story teller, the only people who are dumb enough to take this guy seriously are too broke to buy the paper.
GOD BLESS YOUR LIFE
story teller
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:24:13 PM

@Mpenzi said..

Please quote any piece where Mutahi is putting forward a divisive message or hate speech. Or is analysing various scenarios and pointing out problematic areas in the Proposed Constitution hate speech and/or divisive?

@Mpenzi,an example....

Mutahi Ngunyi claims that the draft allows the Armed forces to unionise, meaning if they feel aggrieved (like college guys or teachers) ,they could simply hit the streets and start shooting in the air in protest or perhaps vent their anger by shooting anyone on site….that is the implication….

Article 24 (5) of the Bill of Rights makes specific exemptions of the Armed Forces and Police Service from joining trade unions or participating in protests.

The implication here is that it is possible to have a "rouge army or police force" who would be aggrieved because they did not get that 15 % pay hike promised last month. Nothing could be further from the truth.
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
kivairu
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:42:37 PM

story teller wrote:
I choose to differ on this one. Many say he is entertaining...don't read between the lines blah blah blah. Question is how many of us think he is just a goofy, humorous guy, not to be taken seriously, I believe that he eschews a very dangerous message, a divisive message. We are still recovering from the post election violence and the trauma it inflicted on so many. We need people to preach peace, to unite us, to celebrate our diversity. I also believe in free speech but he pushes the boundaries so far whether in pursuit of fame or fortune.

I still remember how it all started in Rwanda..a little known radio station talking of "cutting the tall trees" . The rest is history.They live with the scars to this very day . I honestly believe just like the politicians, the majority who read his column take it very very seriously. When you repeat a lie so many times, it becomes true to most.

Thanks story teller...these articles shape public opinion in very unprecedented ways, so it beats me when some guys here say its for entertainment value

African
#14 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:41:16 AM

kadonye wrote:
His articles are very good for 'political entertainment'.However, he is seriour about some stuff he writes e.g the constitution,he is totally convinced that the draft is horrible

He does. And it is.

I suspect Ngunyi has been put on administrative leave since that painfully correct analysis of the draft vs 2012 election objectives (June 19). You see, Kenya is under the grip of the Yesers ... truth supporting the view of the Noers is met with insults and false accusations. So it is quite likely Ngunyi has been told in some very effective manner to "shut the F***k up". I hope he is well.

Ngunyi is a political scientist. He does not create the politics. He only analyzes it. Blame the messenger and decieve yourself.
mnandii
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:34:41 PM

Ngunyi lost it the moment he started to comment on the draft. Maybe he was paid by the naysayers(heard they av lots of cash).
Conventional thinkers waste time building shelters when they are unnecessary and then have no shelters when they need them the most. Socionomists do the opposite.