wazua Thu, Oct 1, 2020
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

29 Pages«<272829
KenGen HY 2019
Ericsson
#561 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2020 8:01:18 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 8,882
Location: NAIROBI
kawi254 wrote:
FUNKY wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/KenGen-City-Hall-pen-deal-power-from-garbage/4003102-5614118-9yuuhuz/index.html


only the consultants conducting feasibility studies on the viability of the many 'fantasy' projects are making money. The dams are still full & geothermal power is being curtailed...if only KenGen can just focus and generate ROI for the shareholder..Ooops, the main shareholder doesn't care for a return on investment.


Kenya power is not signing power purchase agreements.
Can they take advantage of a clause in the terms of the loans they have to do hasten repayment by paying more?
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#562 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2020 8:38:13 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 8,882
Location: NAIROBI
Turkwell dam on the brink of overflowing
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
kmucheke
#563 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2020 10:50:19 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/16/2019
Posts: 174
murchr wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
FUNKY wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/KenGen-City-Hall-pen-deal-power-from-garbage/4003102-5614118-9yuuhuz/index.html


only the consultants conducting feasibility studies on the viability of the many 'fantasy' projects are making money. The dams are still full & geothermal power is being curtailed...if only KenGen can just focus and generate ROI for the shareholder..Ooops, the main shareholder doesn't care for a return on investment.


Sad, but thinking of future, this may not be bad it's currently happening in ET


KEGN should sit this one out. This is not the first time that a powerplant using generated biogas (mostly methane) has been proposed. All similar attempts have failed miserably due to graft allegations.
LINK
Quote:

“Most of the companies that applied for the project were just briefcase firms. When we sat down and inquired on their expertise and what they could do for the county we could not get any that was capable and serious of setting up the plant,” said Mr Wambua.

“The dumpsite has been converted to a shop where every regime that comes to leadership focuses on the business aspect that the dumpsite can offer. We saw how the former regime led by Evans Kidero mint millions from the site,” said Mr Kuria.


Some years back someone took test equipment to the dumpsite and concluded from tests that the methane gas yield from the dumpsite was insufficient to support a power plant since the garbage was not sorted. Both organic and inorganic waste are mixed together hence the low yield. It is the organic waste that decomposes to release methane gas. It was proposed that a solid waste master plan that encourages garbage sorting is implemented to give the project any viability.

This project should be implemented as a private enterprise with the owner taking all the risk.
VituVingiSana
#564 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2020 8:58:03 AM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 17,216
Location: Nairobi
kmucheke wrote:
murchr wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
FUNKY wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/KenGen-City-Hall-pen-deal-power-from-garbage/4003102-5614118-9yuuhuz/index.html


only the consultants conducting feasibility studies on the viability of the many 'fantasy' projects are making money. The dams are still full & geothermal power is being curtailed...if only KenGen can just focus and generate ROI for the shareholder..Ooops, the main shareholder doesn't care for a return on investment.


Sad, but thinking of future, this may not be bad it's currently happening in ET


KEGN should sit this one out. This is not the first time that a powerplant using generated biogas (mostly methane) has been proposed. All similar attempts have failed miserably due to graft allegations.
LINK
Quote:

“Most of the companies that applied for the project were just briefcase firms. When we sat down and inquired on their expertise and what they could do for the county we could not get any that was capable and serious of setting up the plant,” said Mr Wambua.

“The dumpsite has been converted to a shop where every regime that comes to leadership focuses on the business aspect that the dumpsite can offer. We saw how the former regime led by Evans Kidero mint millions from the site,” said Mr Kuria.


Some years back someone took test equipment to the dumpsite and concluded from tests that the methane gas yield from the dumpsite was insufficient to support a power plant since the garbage was not sorted. Both organic and inorganic waste are mixed together hence the low yield. It is the organic waste that decomposes to release methane gas. It was proposed that a solid waste master plan that encourages garbage sorting is implemented to give the project any viability.

This project should be implemented as a private enterprise with the owner taking all the risk.

Does methane production matter if the garbage is incinerated?
Can't some of the metals be separated beforehand?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
kmucheke
#565 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2020 1:45:57 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/16/2019
Posts: 174
VituVingiSana wrote:
kmucheke wrote:
murchr wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
FUNKY wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/KenGen-City-Hall-pen-deal-power-from-garbage/4003102-5614118-9yuuhuz/index.html


only the consultants conducting feasibility studies on the viability of the many 'fantasy' projects are making money. The dams are still full & geothermal power is being curtailed...if only KenGen can just focus and generate ROI for the shareholder..Ooops, the main shareholder doesn't care for a return on investment.


Sad, but thinking of future, this may not be bad it's currently happening in ET


KEGN should sit this one out. This is not the first time that a powerplant using generated biogas (mostly methane) has been proposed. All similar attempts have failed miserably due to graft allegations.
LINK
Quote:

“Most of the companies that applied for the project were just briefcase firms. When we sat down and inquired on their expertise and what they could do for the county we could not get any that was capable and serious of setting up the plant,” said Mr Wambua.

“The dumpsite has been converted to a shop where every regime that comes to leadership focuses on the business aspect that the dumpsite can offer. We saw how the former regime led by Evans Kidero mint millions from the site,” said Mr Kuria.


Some years back someone took test equipment to the dumpsite and concluded from tests that the methane gas yield from the dumpsite was insufficient to support a power plant since the garbage was not sorted. Both organic and inorganic waste are mixed together hence the low yield. It is the organic waste that decomposes to release methane gas. It was proposed that a solid waste master plan that encourages garbage sorting is implemented to give the project any viability.

This project should be implemented as a private enterprise with the owner taking all the risk.

Does methane production matter if the garbage is incinerated?
Can't some of the metals be separated beforehand?


There are two ways to produce electricity from waste.

  1. Incinerate the organic waste to produce heat energy to boil water and the resultant steam used drive turbines. This assumes the waste is combustible. E.g waste from sugar, wood or paper mills. This assumes the waste is combustible.
  2. Generate a combustible fuel from the waste material. For example decomposition of waste to produce biogas (mostly methane) which can be used as a fuel


If they go for option 1 of incineration the methane production does not matter. But looking at Dandora landfill most of the waste looks domestic and market waste. Most likely the waste would require a lot of heat energy just to start the combustion process. Also from the pungent smell at the dump, I think methane production is best. With incineration you have to contend with toxic emissions.

You are right on the separation part,whichever method they opt for, the waste must be separated or sorted beforehand.
VituVingiSana
#566 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2020 11:23:50 PM
Rank: Chief


Joined: 1/3/2007
Posts: 17,216
Location: Nairobi
kmucheke wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
kmucheke wrote:
murchr wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
FUNKY wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/KenGen-City-Hall-pen-deal-power-from-garbage/4003102-5614118-9yuuhuz/index.html


only the consultants conducting feasibility studies on the viability of the many 'fantasy' projects are making money. The dams are still full & geothermal power is being curtailed...if only KenGen can just focus and generate ROI for the shareholder..Ooops, the main shareholder doesn't care for a return on investment.


Sad, but thinking of future, this may not be bad it's currently happening in ET


KEGN should sit this one out. This is not the first time that a powerplant using generated biogas (mostly methane) has been proposed. All similar attempts have failed miserably due to graft allegations.
LINK
Quote:

“Most of the companies that applied for the project were just briefcase firms. When we sat down and inquired on their expertise and what they could do for the county we could not get any that was capable and serious of setting up the plant,” said Mr Wambua.

“The dumpsite has been converted to a shop where every regime that comes to leadership focuses on the business aspect that the dumpsite can offer. We saw how the former regime led by Evans Kidero mint millions from the site,” said Mr Kuria.


Some years back someone took test equipment to the dumpsite and concluded from tests that the methane gas yield from the dumpsite was insufficient to support a power plant since the garbage was not sorted. Both organic and inorganic waste are mixed together hence the low yield. It is the organic waste that decomposes to release methane gas. It was proposed that a solid waste master plan that encourages garbage sorting is implemented to give the project any viability.

This project should be implemented as a private enterprise with the owner taking all the risk.

Does methane production matter if the garbage is incinerated?
Can't some of the metals be separated beforehand?


There are two ways to produce electricity from waste.

  1. Incinerate the organic waste to produce heat energy to boil water and the resultant steam used drive turbines. This assumes the waste is combustible. E.g waste from sugar, wood or paper mills. This assumes the waste is combustible.
  2. Generate a combustible fuel from the waste material. For example decomposition of waste to produce biogas (mostly methane) which can be used as a fuel


If they go for option 1 of incineration the methane production does not matter. But looking at Dandora landfill most of the waste looks domestic and market waste. Most likely the waste would require a lot of heat energy just to start the combustion process. Also from the pungent smell at the dump, I think methane production is best. With incineration you have to contend with toxic emissions.

You are right on the separation part,whichever method they opt for, the waste must be separated or sorted beforehand.

You said "Some years back someone took test equipment to the dumpsite and concluded from tests that the methane gas yield from the dumpsite was insufficient to support a power plant since the garbage was not sorted."
1) Then isn't the only option incineration with the attendant downsides?
2) Just as it takes energy to start a fire/combustion (matchstick, rubbing 2 pieces of wood) once it has started, isn't it then self-sustaining as long as the raw material (garbage) is fed to it?

Future waste management can be changed to incorporate waste separation (& methane production) but for now there's a lot of waste that needs to be handled.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
young
#567 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2020 12:35:40 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 6/20/2007
Posts: 1,963
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
PERSONAL PROJECTION KENGEN DIVIDEND
2019 & 2020 AFTER AG AUDIT

1. Best Case Scenerio
2019 payout:- 0.40 per share
2020 payout:- NIL


2. Worst Case Scenerio
2019 payout:- Nil
2020 payout:- Nil


Note:- I am KENGEN shareholder.
Events will unfold in Oct after audit
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
Ericsson
#568 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2020 7:40:42 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 8,882
Location: NAIROBI
young wrote:
PERSONAL PROJECTION KENGEN DIVIDEND
2019 & 2020 AFTER AG AUDIT

1. Best Case Scenerio
2019 payout:- 0.40 per share
2020 payout:- NIL


2. Worst Case Scenerio
2019 payout:- Nil
2020 payout:- Nil


Note:- I am KENGEN shareholder.
Events will unfold in Oct after audit


3.Better Case Scenario
2019 payout :-0.40 per share
2020 payout :-0.40 per share
If they do this it will be a miracle
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
kmucheke
#569 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2020 8:52:14 AM
Rank: Member


Joined: 3/16/2019
Posts: 174
VituVingiSana wrote:
kmucheke wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
kmucheke wrote:
murchr wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
FUNKY wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/KenGen-City-Hall-pen-deal-power-from-garbage/4003102-5614118-9yuuhuz/index.html


only the consultants conducting feasibility studies on the viability of the many 'fantasy' projects are making money. The dams are still full & geothermal power is being curtailed...if only KenGen can just focus and generate ROI for the shareholder..Ooops, the main shareholder doesn't care for a return on investment.


Sad, but thinking of future, this may not be bad it's currently happening in ET


KEGN should sit this one out. This is not the first time that a powerplant using generated biogas (mostly methane) has been proposed. All similar attempts have failed miserably due to graft allegations.
LINK
Quote:

“Most of the companies that applied for the project were just briefcase firms. When we sat down and inquired on their expertise and what they could do for the county we could not get any that was capable and serious of setting up the plant,” said Mr Wambua.

“The dumpsite has been converted to a shop where every regime that comes to leadership focuses on the business aspect that the dumpsite can offer. We saw how the former regime led by Evans Kidero mint millions from the site,” said Mr Kuria.


Some years back someone took test equipment to the dumpsite and concluded from tests that the methane gas yield from the dumpsite was insufficient to support a power plant since the garbage was not sorted. Both organic and inorganic waste are mixed together hence the low yield. It is the organic waste that decomposes to release methane gas. It was proposed that a solid waste master plan that encourages garbage sorting is implemented to give the project any viability.

This project should be implemented as a private enterprise with the owner taking all the risk.

Does methane production matter if the garbage is incinerated?
Can't some of the metals be separated beforehand?


There are two ways to produce electricity from waste.

  1. Incinerate the organic waste to produce heat energy to boil water and the resultant steam used drive turbines. This assumes the waste is combustible. E.g waste from sugar, wood or paper mills. This assumes the waste is combustible.
  2. Generate a combustible fuel from the waste material. For example decomposition of waste to produce biogas (mostly methane) which can be used as a fuel


If they go for option 1 of incineration the methane production does not matter. But looking at Dandora landfill most of the waste looks domestic and market waste. Most likely the waste would require a lot of heat energy just to start the combustion process. Also from the pungent smell at the dump, I think methane production is best. With incineration you have to contend with toxic emissions.

You are right on the separation part,whichever method they opt for, the waste must be separated or sorted beforehand.

You said "Some years back someone took test equipment to the dumpsite and concluded from tests that the methane gas yield from the dumpsite was insufficient to support a power plant since the garbage was not sorted."
1) Then isn't the only option incineration with the attendant downsides?
2) Just as it takes energy to start a fire/combustion (matchstick, rubbing 2 pieces of wood) once it has started, isn't it then self-sustaining as long as the raw material (garbage) is fed to it?

Future waste management can be changed to incorporate waste separation (& methane production) but for now there's a lot of waste that needs to be handled.


Very valid points you have raised. It is important to note that there are many technologies for converting waste to energy. It makes sense to incinerate the existing garbage and later switch to a more environmental friendly sustainable technology.

You can find an evaluation study here.
Quote:
The evaluation results reveal that the biological methods are best suited for the waste to energy conversion with least degradation of the environment. Other methods such as incineration, pyrolysis and gasification are quite efficient and give a high yield but they harm the environment in the form of harmful gaseous emissions which certainly lead to global warming and greenhouse effect.

FUNKY
#570 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2020 6:45:05 PM
Rank: Veteran


Joined: 4/30/2010
Posts: 1,623
Market Cap Trainers
@NSE_Investors
·
2m
It's shocking! Amazing Kengen has declared a kes 0.25 dividend per share for financial year ended 30 June 2019:Book closure will be on 22 October 2020.Psyment shall be on 7 December 2020.
Ericsson
#571 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2020 7:13:46 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 8,882
Location: NAIROBI
Rebecca Miana reappointed as MD for another three years
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#572 Posted : Tuesday, September 01, 2020 10:01:09 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 8,882
Location: NAIROBI
FUNKY wrote:
Market Cap Trainers
@NSE_Investors
·
2m
It's shocking! Amazing Kengen has declared a kes 0.25 dividend per share for financial year ended 30 June 2019:Book closure will be on 22 October 2020.Psyment shall be on 7 December 2020.


AGM to be held on 22 October.
Dividend to be paid on or about 17 December 2020
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#573 Posted : Tuesday, September 01, 2020 10:02:44 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 8,882
Location: NAIROBI
FUNKY wrote:
Market Cap Trainers
@NSE_Investors
·
2m
It's shocking! Amazing Kengen has declared a kes 0.25 dividend per share for financial year ended 30 June 2019:Book closure will be on 22 October 2020.Psyment shall be on 7 December 2020.


AGM to be held on 22 October.
Dividend to be paid on or about 17 December 2020
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Extraterrestrial
#574 Posted : Tuesday, September 01, 2020 3:18:23 PM
Rank: Member


Joined: 11/17/2018
Posts: 150
Location: Mars
The dividend was reduced due to reintroduction of compensating tax which strikes in the year of distribution.
young
#575 Posted : Tuesday, September 01, 2020 9:09:50 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 6/20/2007
Posts: 1,963
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Extraterrestrial wrote:
The dividend was reduced due to reintroduction of compensating tax which strikes in the year of distribution.


This implies that 2019/2020 dividends is very unlikely due to covid irrespective of salutary HY 2020 results earlier released.


https://citizentv.co.ke/...llion-dividends-343895/




The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
Ericsson
#576 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 1:27:46 PM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 8,882
Location: NAIROBI
https://af.reuters.com/a...cty-idAFKBN2662MI-OZABS

Kengen is seeking a transaction adviser for the sale of certified carbon reduction units.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#577 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2020 12:53:36 AM
Rank: Elder


Joined: 12/4/2009
Posts: 8,882
Location: NAIROBI
Consumers pay the price as Covid electricity cuts hit Turkana project

Kenya Power has rationed the amount of electricity it can take from producers, citing a slump in demand resulting from months of economic lockdown on account of the Covid-19 pandemic.
LTWP has been allocated a maximum production quota of 210MW, against an installed capacity of 310MW.

Kenya Power has prioritised the uptake of geothermal at 39.5 per cent, hydro at 33.9 per cent, wind at 14 per cent, diesel at 9.7 per cent with other sources like solar, imports from Uganda and co-generation accounting for about three per cent.

Main beneficiary

This arrangement has meant that Kenya Electricity Generating Company (KenGen), which is the sole producer of geothermal and hydro, is the main beneficiary.

The impact of Covid-19 has resulted in peak demand declining to an average of 1,760 MW. As such, Kenya Power is limiting the amount of electricity it is buying from each producer.

Data from the national control centre shows that over the past two weeks, consumption has averaged 1,765 MW against a projected demand of 1,930 MW.

https://www.theeastafric...-turkana-project-1939124
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Users browsing this topic
Guest
29 Pages«<272829
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Copyright © 2020 Wazua.co.ke. All Rights Reserved.