wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Options for Highspeed home Internet outside Major towns
winmak
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2020 7:25:54 PM

I need help in finding well priced broad band internet in a place 17 km from Nakuru - not covered by the usual Zuku/Faiba/Safaricom.

I use Safaricom dongles or tethering my phone but this is expensive and not suitable for streaming TV or heavy downloads/Conferencing...

Other than Liquid Telcom, what are the other options?

Admin can move to the correct section (but not the too invisible sections where one rarely gets responses).

TIA
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
ekahindi
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2020 11:10:23 PM

Drop me an email. edgarkib.kibingeatgmail
Queen
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2020 11:47:07 PM

ekahindi wrote:

Why not share the information here.That is what Wazua is all about.
eangaga
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2020 1:02:53 AM

Queen wrote:
ekahindi wrote:

Why not share the information here.That is what Wazua is all about.

I am interested as well. Not as a customer but someone who works for an a small ISP. I am based in Kisumu. If you were in Kisumu we would have connected you.

My Boss is planning to expand out of Kisumu and I am interested to know how things are in other cities as we plan the next city to supply.
VituVingiSana
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2020 6:06:19 AM

Try http://www.unwired.co.ke
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
winmak
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2020 9:46:59 AM

Thanks a lot guys.
winmak
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2020 4:36:54 PM

ekahindi wrote:

your email is bouncing
amorphous
#8 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2020 6:14:06 PM

winmak wrote:
I need help in finding well priced broad band internet in a place 17 km from Nakuru - not covered by the usual Zuku/Faiba/Safaricom.

I use Safaricom dongles or tethering my phone but this is expensive and not suitable for streaming TV or heavy downloads/Conferencing...

Admin can move to the correct section (but not the too invisible sections where one rarely gets responses).

TIA

Airtel daily bundle 2GB for 99bob on 4G tethered from your phone to laptop is your best bet buddy. From my phone I can use the laptop anywhere in the house upstairs, downstairs and even in the gazebo. Safcon's daily bundle is a big joke. They lie and it is gone in hours!
Unless you want to invest in satellite and get free internet via services like Quika. Shida ni equipment upfront costs.
New Normal!
Sufficiently Philanga....thropic
#9 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 1:27:35 PM

Could someone explain how the google loon internet works. Are they an ISP or they just convert the remote areas to 4G coverage and one can access this 4G from their network eg Scom, Airtel hence higher speeds in these remote areas?
@SufficientlyP
kmucheke
#10 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 2:26:39 PM

Sufficiently Philanga....thropic wrote:

Could someone explain how the google loon internet works. Are they an ISP or they just convert the remote areas to 4G coverage and one can access this 4G from their network eg Scom, Airtel hence higher speeds in these remote areas?

From my understanding Google loon is not an ISP. The baloons create an aerial wireless network. You are right they create 4G coverage in a remote area where there is no infrastructure.

The signal travels from baloon to baloon in the network then to a ground base station which is connected to the ISP in this case Telkom, Airtel, SCOM etc.

To access the internet you just need a 4G enabled device to tap in to the loon wireless network.

So in short the telcom companies are the ISPs that connect to the global network while the network of baloons fitted with antennas provides the wireless 4G coverage.

Google loon allows telecom companies to expand their coverage without having to spend a lot of money in building cell towers or laying optical cables to bring internet to remote areas.
Sufficiently Philanga....thropic
#11 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 2:38:08 PM

kmucheke wrote:

From my understanding Google loon is not an ISP. The baloons create an aerial wireless network. You are right they create 4G coverage in a remote area where there is no infrastructure.

The signal travels from baloon to baloon in the network then to a ground base station which is connected to the ISP in this case Telkom, Airtel, SCOM etc.

To access the internet you just need a 4G enabled device to tap in to the loon wireless network.

So in short the telcom companies are the ISPs that connect to the global network while the network of baloons fitted with antennas provides the wireless 4G coverage.

Google loon allows telecom companies to expand their coverage without having to spend a lot of money in building cell towers or laying optical cables to bring internet to remote areas.

This is Good news especially around this time when everyone is fleeing the cities.
The thought of having high speed internet in my farm miles away from the city is so amazingApplause Applause Applause
@SufficientlyP
kmucheke
#12 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 2:57:46 PM

kmucheke wrote:

This is Good news especially around this time when everyone is fleeing the cities.
The thought of having high speed internet in my farm miles away from the city is so amazingApplause Applause Applause

With Google Loon, having hi-speed internet in your farm is now possible. Your telco provider will find it cheaper since they don't have to spend money on acquiring land to construct, operate and maintain expensive cell towers. They also don't need to apply for way-leave to install optical fiber cables or be worried about fiber cable being cut.

Lets hope this model proves profitable for both Google and Telkom otherwise they may pull the plug
taka jua
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 10:23:34 AM

winmak wrote:

TIA

Most telcos offer LTE solutions if the area you are is is covered with 4G network
Safcom i think has packages for 3/4k per month, Telkom also charges about the same.
The LTE solutions are better than having to buy bundles as they are unlimited
kuku3
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 08, 2020 12:22:01 PM

Safaricom LTE
Buy the indoor router @ 10,999
Monthly 3,500 or 5,500
So far so good...
... a fool and his money are soon parted...
winmak
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 08, 2020 4:13:34 PM

kuku3 wrote:
Safaricom LTE
Monthly 3,500 or 5,500
So far so good...

Got a quotation from Liquid Telecom Wimax for 9800 installation then 3000 monthly. Problem is am not sure of reliability since noone around me has installed this.

Then am seeing the difference between the Safcom one and Liquid is not so different.
winmak
#16 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2020 12:11:08 PM

kuku3 wrote:
Safaricom LTE
Monthly 3,500 or 5,500
So far so good...

Apparently the 3500 one is limited to 100Gb per month 5mbps
tafutabiz
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 7:17:29 PM

amorphous wrote:
winmak wrote:

TIA

Airtel daily bundle 2GB for 99bob on 4G tethered from your phone to laptop is your best bet buddy. From my phone I can use the laptop anywhere in the house upstairs, downstairs and even in the gazebo. Safcon's daily bundle is a big joke. They lie and it is gone in hours!
Unless you want to invest in satellite and get free internet via services like Quika. Shida ni equipment upfront costs.

Kindly tell us more about Quika and where we can get the equipment.
eangaga
#18 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2020 8:01:08 PM

I am in this business, a small wireless ISP. I am curios if truly there are no little players in Nakuru. I am currently in Nairobi outskirts, Kismumu and mombasa.

If there are truly no players in Nakuru, I would be shocked and I can come and sign you up as my customer.
Can you please contact us from our website (https://kalanet.co.ke ) and I will see if We can set you up.
winmak
#19 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2020 9:18:41 PM

eangaga wrote:
I am in this business, a small wireless ISP. I am curios if truly there are no little players in Nakuru. I am currently in Nairobi outskirts, Kismumu and mombasa.

If there are truly no players in Nakuru, I would be shocked and I can come and sign you up as my customer.
Can you please contact us from our website (https://kalanet.co.ke ) and I will see if We can set you up.

Thanks mate, I just checked the site. Main town has options, am talking 15 km from town almost Elementaita, do you have coverage there?
eangaga
#20 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2020 9:00:53 AM

I looked up Elemnentaita, coverage is there at the edge of it. I am not sure how to share a picture of our coverage here. I would show you. But I see few settlements around that area, maybe the reason why not alot of players are there.