wazua Tue, Apr 30, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

E-commerce in Kenya
murchr
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 05, 2020 10:34:21 PM

What has made you not embrace it? Trust? Logistics? Have you tried buying online from Naivas?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
essyk
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 05, 2020 11:44:46 PM

Oh!where do I start from.I will ignore the obvious reasons like network coverage,trust and ignorance in usage.

Imagine there are big companies in this day and age that still insist on receiving hardcopy documentation or else payment will not be posted or processsed.
Even digital payment is an issue.You have to go for a cheque..ok..I know abt bank charges but the costs of collection = bank costs.
It amazes me especially if you as a company have embraced the go green idea and your trading patner is still stuck in their old ways of doing business all in the name of 'company policy'.They have refused to change with times.Just there like a museum.
So some will put blame on the costs of software implementation or keep arguing about splitting costs of maintenance and administration esp.the multinationals.I know of one airline software that was too expensive to adopt the local company decided to drop it all together.There was also the challenge of broadband or something like that..am not an IT person.I just know that it was too large to be accomodated using the existing system.

Back to the jumias killmall etc.
If I buy from you online and encounter a fault then upon return you redirect me to riverroad where the supplier is..then I have a problem with that.
We have a looong way to go but it's the only way now.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
Bigchick
#3 Posted : Monday, July 06, 2020 12:27:31 AM

essyk wrote:
Oh!where do I start from.I will ignore the obvious reasons like network coverage,trust and ignorance in usage.

Imagine there are big companies in this day and age that still insist on receiving hardcopy documentation or else payment will not be posted or processsed.
Even digital payment is an issue.You have to go for a cheque..ok..I know abt bank charges but the costs of collection = bank costs.
It amazes me especially if you as a company have embraced the go green idea and your trading patner is still stuck in their old ways of doing business all in the name of 'company policy'.They have refused to change with times.Just there like a museum.
So some will put blame on the costs of software implementation or keep arguing about splitting costs of maintenance and administration esp.the multinationals.I know of one airline software that was too expensive to adopt the local company decided to drop it all together.There was also the challenge of broadband or something like that..am not an IT person.I just know that it was too large to be accomodated using the existing system.

If I buy from you online and encounter a fault then upon return you redirect me to riverroad where the supplier is..then I have a problem with that.

Mrembo,you are still in the house?

Good to see you.
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
murchr
#4 Posted : Monday, July 06, 2020 5:22:26 AM

essyk wrote:

I understand your frustration. Until 2020, Co-op bank was selecting your user name if you wanted to use their online banking, Surely even Yahoo didn't do that, we selected our usernames that we couldn't forget. I closed my account needless to say. Even updating your address at CDSC is a hustle eish. What do they do with all that paper?

Jumia food seems to be doing very well from the info out there; what does it take to copy paste that elsewhere?

With COVID change is coming. I dont think the banking hall will operate the same way ever again. The congestion of people just coming to bank a cheque or withdraw less than 10k at the counter will change very soon.

Still who has tried Naivas shopping online?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
AlphDoti
#5 Posted : Monday, July 06, 2020 9:12:27 AM

Recently I went to sort out electricity issues at KPLC. When I wanted to pay, I was surprised they do not have MPESA Pay Bill or Till number for services like connection etc. I was asked to go withdraw cash and return! KPLC!!!
essyk
#6 Posted : Monday, July 06, 2020 9:48:02 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
Recently I went to sort out electricity issues at KPLC. When I wanted to pay, I was surprised they do not have MPESA Pay Bill or Till number for services like connection etc. I was asked to go withdraw cash and return! KPLC!!!

This is absurd because they have a paybill no.
Someone was just too lazy to complete the set up.And what's worse is their comfort zone.They don't mind queues,crowding and the time wasted.
But this is not going to last.There is a new generation of tech minds who will not adopt this nonsense.

Big chick hi. All well and cool

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
essyk
#7 Posted : Monday, July 06, 2020 9:51:45 PM

murchr wrote:

Still who has tried Naivas shopping online?

I just checked.They use Glovo app..never tried.Are they trustworthy?
murchr
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2020 5:07:28 AM

essyk wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:

This is absurd because they have a paybill no.
Someone was just too lazy to complete the set up.And what's worse is their comfort zone.They don't mind queues,crowding and the time wasted.
But this is not going to last.There is a new generation of tech minds who will not adopt this nonsense.

Big chick hi. All well and cool

Its a loophole, an avenue to eat. I once went to pay at electricity house and the hall was jam packed. When i got to the counter the lady picked my bill and cheque and went on to read comments on Facebook. And i could do nothing but stare. The attitude to work at KPLC is on another level.

If they encouraged people to pay online and leave the counters for customer service what would hurt?
sparkly
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2020 7:37:22 AM

essyk wrote:

Don't worry, the market jungle will cull out companies that refuse to embrace technology.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Gathige
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2020 4:37:27 AM

murchr wrote:
What has made you not embrace it? Trust? Logistics? Have you tried buying online from Naivas?

quality Control is a big issue. A lot of counterfeits, even in Jumia, esp when orders are fulfilled by local partners. Once bought a "Swiss Gear" laptop bag on Jumia but what was delivered was a very poor fake. Luckily, they accepted and refunded.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
murchr
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2020 6:40:54 AM

Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

quality Control is a big issue. A lot of counterfeits, even in Jumia, esp when orders are fulfilled by local partners. Once bought a "Swiss Gear" laptop bag on Jumia but what was delivered was a very poor fake. Luckily, they accepted and refunded.

What about local known brands? What makes Bata not have a online shop forexample? We know our shoe sizes but surely many will have that phobia to go in with kids and do some fitting so why not try to sell online?
sqft
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2020 10:36:11 AM

murchr wrote:
Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

What about local known brands? What makes Bata not have a online shop forexample? We know our shoe sizes but surely many will have that phobia to go in with kids and do some fitting so why not try to sell online?

Seems you have been living under a rock.

https://www.batakenya.com/categories/men-shoes
Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
sqft
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2020 11:27:31 AM

murchr wrote:
Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

Why would a parent have phobia to take his kids to a shoe shop?
Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
Angelica _ann
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2020 11:40:15 AM

sqft wrote:
murchr wrote:
Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

Why would a parent have phobia to take his kids to a shoe shop?

COVID!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
murchr
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2020 5:17:44 PM

sqft wrote:
murchr wrote:
Gathige wrote:
murchr wrote:

Seems you have been living under a rock.

https://www.batakenya.com/categories/men-shoes

I've gone through the process and it seems there's a discount a shoe worth 1,799 + 350 shipping cost ended up costing Ksh 1,789. This could be a bug too as they dont mention any discounts

They dont mention when I will receive the pair

Interesting Laughing out loudly

All stores should follow suit. Online shopping will create other opportunities as the goods will need to be transported to wherever.
dunkang
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2020 7:48:40 PM

once bought shirts online, the size was supposed to be large, and true, the label also indicated large, but in reality they were xxl.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

sqft
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2020 11:44:51 PM

I've used Jumia and the items are delivered next day and are as described on their website. I use pay on delivery option so that I pay for what I see. Am a happy customer.