rwitre wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

heri wrote:

From a high of sh 37 in Jan 2018 to sh 12 bob in 2 years . Massacre

Vvs zone

Wueh d'oh!

Nothing is safe from the bear.
A beating and then some! d'oh!
Luckily, this is not "Core" for me. Biashara in KE is an extreme sport. Some industries/sectors have it tougher than others.

CoronaVirus is going to devastate the tourism industry no matter how good the management.

The expansion programme using debt is going to bite TPSEA.

I am not selling nor am I buying. I am picking up some "core" dividend paying shares at lower prices.

Is tourism business the new agriculture businesses wild swings and challenges. Actually more like the airline business. At this rate the share us getting a beating before fully recovering from the ebola beating a few years ago.

Like you I'm eyeing the blue chips that were too mighty to fall, safcom, equity etc.
No firm is forever. Those that will survive will have to be adept at adapting. The high-end market has much higher fixed costs and will suffer more during a downturn.

Serena might choose to retain staff during the downturn. It may reduce hours/benefits but with other expenses the fixed costs remain high.

The recent expansion will also weigh on profits with a huge interest bill but no-one to use the facilities.

The Management could not have seen it coming just as most of the world did not.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
sparkly
#122 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 12:14:33 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

heri wrote:

Vvs zone

Wueh d'oh!

Luckily, this is not "Core" for me. Biashara in KE is an extreme sport. Some industries/sectors have it tougher than others.

CoronaVirus is going to devastate the tourism industry no matter how good the management.

I am not selling nor am I buying. I am picking up some "core" dividend paying shares at lower prices.

Is tourism business the new agriculture businesses wild swings and challenges. Actually more like the airline business. At this rate the share us getting a beating before fully recovering from the ebola beating a few years ago.

Like you I'm eyeing the blue chips that were too mighty to fall, safcom, equity etc.
No firm is forever. Those that will survive will have to be adept at adapting. The high-end market has much higher fixed costs and will suffer more during a downturn.

Serena might choose to retain staff during the downturn. It may reduce hours/benefits but with other expenses the fixed costs remain high.

The recent expansion will also weigh on profits with a huge interest bill but no-one to use the facilities.

They closed 10 Safari Lodges in Kenya and Tanzania. Fate has not been kind on tourism... terror, travel advisories, elections, siasa mingi, poor state of economy, now Covid-19. Add the highly leveraged balance sheet and solvency is going to be an issue.
Life is short. Live passionately.
obiero
#123 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:22:43 PM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

heri wrote:

Vvs zone

Wueh d'oh!

They closed 10 Safari Lodges in Kenya and Tanzania. Fate has not been kind on tourism... terror, travel advisories, elections, siasa mingi, poor state of economy, now Covid-19. Add the highly leveraged balance sheet and solvency is going to be an issue.

Bad luck. Provision to write off this basket case

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ericsson
#124 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 2:16:34 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

heri wrote:

Vvs zone

Wueh d'oh!

This should be a lesson that in future,during the good times the money you make keep some as reserve for the future because good times don't last forever
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
sparkly
#125 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 2:48:08 PM

obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

heri wrote:

Vvs zone

Wueh d'oh!

I will salvage whatever I can.

I wonder why you haven't considered likewise for KQ now trading at 35 Cents pre-consolidation
Angelica _ann
#126 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 3:00:20 PM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

heri wrote:

Vvs zone

Wueh d'oh!

I wonder why you haven't considered likewise for KQ now trading at 35 Cents pre-consolidation

I have always wondered what #TPS saw in this share over the last 4 years and you were diehards at it.

I thought/my personal feeling is that Aga Khan has lost the public investment plot in Kenya/Africa over the last 10 years.

Anyway GL all the veterans in here.

In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Ericsson
#127 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 5:23:33 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

heri wrote:

Vvs zone

Wueh d'oh!

I have always wondered what #TPS saw in this share over the last 4 years and you were diehards at it.

I thought/my personal feeling is that Aga Khan has lost the public investment plot in Kenya/Africa over the last 10 years.

His companies need fresh blood and ideas to drive them to the next level.
Let's wait to see how Jubilee Holdings performed in 2019
sparkly
#128 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 12:02:07 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

heri wrote:

Vvs zone

Wueh d'oh!

NAV is Kshs 50, completed refurbishments at their City Hotels (Kampala and Nairobi), good debt management.
Ericsson
#129 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 9:47:29 PM

sparkly wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

heri wrote:

Vvs zone

Wueh d'oh!

NAV is Kshs 50, completed refurbishments at their City Hotels (Kampala and Nairobi), good debt management.

Competition is giving them a rough ride
mwekez@ji
#130 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 10:11:58 PM

Ericsson wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
rwitre wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

heri wrote:

Vvs zone

Wueh d'oh!

Competition is giving them a rough ride

Serena can stand the competition. Things were looking up following completion of the developments but Corona has happened. The impact on hotels is severe. Because of this, I've cut my loss. I'll relook when things return to normalcy completely. Most likely after a year and half or so
VituVingiSana
#131 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 2:14:36 AM

Most hotels are in deep doo-doo.

We can't compare with others since TPS is the only one which is listed but the 5-star hotels eg Sankara, Intercont, Kempinski, etc are probably all bleeding. 🩸

I am going to provision TPS and can afford to hold onto the shares.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#132 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2020 9:39:05 AM

Serena Beach Hotel in Mombasa shut down
watesh
#133 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2020 11:17:31 AM

Ericsson wrote:

Until a vaccine is developed I don't see tourism recovering in less than a year.
jgithige
#134 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2020 12:24:39 PM

watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Until a vaccine is developed I don't see tourism recovering in less than a year.

Terrible even after a vaccine is discovered many foreigners especially from the west will be fearful and consider risky to visit Africa.
"Blowing out someone else candle won't make yours shine brighter"-Anonymous
watesh
#135 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2020 12:34:28 PM

jgithige wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Terrible even after a vaccine is discovered many foreigners especially from the west will be fearful and consider risky to visit Africa.

Very true, very slow recovery in foreign tourists. Local tourists will be key in giving the sector a lifeline post virus similar to the time when alshabaab wrecked the industry.
Ericsson
#136 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2020 3:48:46 PM

watesh wrote:
jgithige wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Very true, very slow recovery in foreign tourists. Local tourists will be key in giving the sector a lifeline post virus similar to the time when alshabaab wrecked the industry.

Local tourists it will be tough.
Count the job losses and diminishing disposable income
obiero
#137 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2020 5:46:39 PM

Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:
jgithige wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Taabu

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
jgithige
#138 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2020 10:14:38 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:
jgithige wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Taabu

Uhuru's statement earlier today on Nairobi & Mombasa lockdown has crushed what was left. Imagine the earlier offpeak bookings locals had made for Easter no longer tenable. It's a wait and see tomorrow as Kenyans rush to their agents for refund.
"Blowing out someone else candle won't make yours shine brighter"-Anonymous
watesh
#139 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2020 10:18:31 PM

jgithige wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:
jgithige wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Taabu

Uhuru's statement earlier today on Nairobi & Mombasa lockdown has crushed what was left. Imagine the earlier offpeak bookings locals had made for Easter no longer tenable. It's a wait and see tomorrow as Kenyans rush to their agents for refund.

Yikes!!!
Ericsson
#140 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2020 12:17:17 AM

watesh wrote:
jgithige wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:
jgithige wrote:
watesh wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Taabu

Yikes!!!

Agents shutting down,hotels closing.
Will the additional taxes by Ukur Yattani in proposed bill achieve much