wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<4567>
My Watch List - Buys in Q4 2019
Balaa
#101 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:58:05 PM

My understanding of short selling is that it involves borrowing a stock, selling the same, and then buying it back at a lower unit price to return it to the owner. Hence, shorting ought to be first enabled by the NSE before players can play. It is really not the brokers' call in the current scheme of things. Forget pedestrian journalists or brokers who are forever peddling unfounded info. Some broker guys crave to sound educated when making presentations at investors' forums. I recently asked one such young lady (the so called reseachers/ financial analysts) who kept bandying buzzwords in her presentation to lend me her Jubilee shares so that I can short'em and she went blank.d'oh!
If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense
sparkly
#102 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 7:33:14 AM

Balaa wrote:
My understanding of short selling is that it involves borrowing a stock, selling the same, and then buying it back at a lower unit price to return it to the owner. Hence, shorting ought to be first enabled by the NSE before players can play. It is really not the brokers' call in the current scheme of things. Forget pedestrian journalists or brokers who are forever peddling unfounded info. Some broker guys crave to sound educated when making presentations at investors' forums. I recently asked one such young lady (the so called reseachers/ financial analysts) who kept bandying buzzwords in her presentation to lend me her Jubilee shares so that I can short'em and she went blank.d'oh!

@Balaa you are the one in the woods on this one. Shorting in the case of NSE involves standardized contracts to sell/buy underlying stocks at specific prices in future. The lending (margin) is provided by brokers.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Balaa
#103 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:45:29 AM

sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

@Balaa you are the one in the woods on this one. Shorting in the case of NSE involves standardized contracts to sell/buy underlying stocks at specific prices in future. The lending (margin) is provided by brokers.

Thanks for the titbit @Sparkly. Glad to keep on learning even at my agesmile I'll stick though to my longerm investing strategy.
Now with these kinda news what's your take Sir on BAT? https://www.tobaccofreek...ritish-american-tobacco
Am heavily invested in the firm and have been averaging down, currently @548 in terms of ABP.
If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense
VituVingiSana
#104 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:20:57 AM

sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

This is not a true short.
If I sell BAT short then there is no fixed timeframe.
The "lender" may demand his shares back but that's a different story. Usually, there is no obligation to return the shares to the lender until the short is covered.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Angelica _ann
#105 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:23:06 AM

Balaa wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

Thanks for the titbit @Sparkly. Glad to keep on learning even at my agesmile I'll stick though to my longerm investing strategy.
Now with these kinda news what's your take Sir on BAT? https://www.tobaccofreek...ritish-american-tobacco
Am heavily invested in the firm and have been averaging down, currently @548 in terms of ABP.

One of my best shares courtesy of one @CNN around 2008 or thereabout.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
sparkly
#106 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:33:17 AM

Balaa wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

"Going Short" and "Going Long" are technical terms which are not necessarily connected to investment period. Going short means you sell an expensive stock believing price will fall. Going long means you buy a cheap share believing price will rise.

Biggest threat to tobacco industry is government regulation and taxation. However cigarette smoking is addictive and so long as it remains legal, people will smoke and BAT will make money. The new regulations, just like the Ngilu Regulations will depress the share price and provide a buying opportunity.

Angelica _ann
#107 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 11:18:48 AM

sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

"Going Short" and "Going Long" are technical terms which are not necessarily connected to investment period. Going short means you sell an expensive stock believing price will fall. Going long means you buy a cheap share believing price will rise.

Biggest threat to tobacco industry is government regulation and taxation. However cigarette smoking is addictive and so long as it remains legal, people will smoke and BAT will make money. The new regulations, just like the Ngilu Regulations will depress the share price and provide a buying opportunity.

Of course after 2 years, you know what will happen to enforcement. BAT is one of the corporate giants in Kenya. My fear is that they will one day wake up and chase us (buy us out) anytime they feel like - Uniliver style.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Receptor
#108 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 3:54:18 PM

I am watching Sanlam keenly. It has touched a low 0f 16.25 today
Fyatu
#109 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 10:47:34 AM

Receptor wrote:

...............following.
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
sparkly
#110 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 2:29:18 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Receptor wrote:

Following another penny stock? Sad Sad
Fyatu
#111 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 2:35:42 PM

sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Receptor wrote:

The mantra is.... go hard or go home.
sparkly
#112 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 4:33:43 PM

Fyatu wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Receptor wrote:

Very well if it works for you. You dig the dirt long enough and one day you will hit gold.
Fyatu
#113 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 5:30:35 PM

sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Receptor wrote:

Very well if it works for you. You dig the dirt long enough and one day you will hit gold.

sparkly
#114 Posted : Tuesday, December 17, 2019 7:20:06 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:

Of course after 2 years, you know what will happen to enforcement. BAT is one of the corporate giants in Kenya. My fear is that they will one day wake up and chase us (buy us out) anytime they feel like - Uniliver style.

Low trade at 436. Vwap 470
Ebenyo
#115 Posted : Tuesday, December 17, 2019 7:35:00 AM

sparkly wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Balaa wrote:
sparkly wrote:
[quote=Balaa]My understanding of short selling is that it involves borrowing a stock, selling the same, and then buying it back at a lower unit price to return it to the owner. Hence, shorting ought to be first enabled by the NSE before players can play. It is really not the brokers' call in the current scheme of things. Forget pedestrian journalists or brokers who are forever peddling unfounded info. Some broker guys crave to sound educated when making presentations at investors' forums. I recently asked one such young lady (the so called reseachers/ financial analysts) who kept bandying buzzwords in her presentation to lend me her Jubilee shares so that I can short'em and she went blank.d'oh!

Don't worry.BAT management looks stable at the moment and very competent.I doubt they will do that to wanjiku.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
aemathenge
#116 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2019 10:02:16 AM

Quote:
Loss-making tyre distributor Sameer Africa emerged as the best stock in 2019 at the Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE) with Kenya Airways ranked as the worst in a year when the bourse is in line to make a 16.6 percent return.

Sameer Africa’s share has gained 81 percent since the start of the year and closed trading at Sh3.35 Thursday, meaning an investor who invested Sh1 million in the stock on January 2 has gained Sh810, 000.

In contrast, investors who bought Kenya Airways shares worth Sh1 million, suffered a loss of Sh773,000 given the share has shed 77.3 percent since the start of the year to stand at Sh2.02 at close of trading Thursday.

This analysis is based on investors who buy shares at the start of the year and measures their return at the end of the trading season in a review that does not capture speculators who enter and exit stocks in short periods.

Sameer, whose a half-year losses widened to Sh182.8 million, offered better returns than Safaricom and top banks like Equity and KCB—which have recently emerged ass the jewel stocks for investors seeking returns.

Source Link: https://www.businessdail...392322-51wwnc/index.html
Ericsson
#117 Posted : Saturday, January 04, 2020 8:01:05 AM

Topic should now change to 2020
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
sparkly
#118 Posted : Monday, January 06, 2020 11:12:38 AM

Ericsson wrote:

My purchases in q4 2019 were:

BAT abp 475;
I@M abp 50;
Centum abp 30.50.
Monk
#119 Posted : Monday, January 06, 2020 12:25:12 PM

sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

BAT abp 475;
I@M abp 50;
Centum abp 30.50.

SCBK
SCOM
VituVingiSana
#120 Posted : Monday, January 06, 2020 11:56:20 PM

sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

BAT abp 475;
I@M abp 50;
Centum abp 30.50
Applause Applause Applause
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett